Anybody else feeling their soul crushed as soon as they queue into NG?

+
I purpose built a meme deck with the sole intent of playing Joachim as many times as possible. So far my max is 8 times in one match. The hard part is keeping enough units in your deck for him to pull :). I actually have won with it twice, but that requires an insane amount of luck. It's just fun to see how many times you can play him.

That being said, I don't feel that under normal circumstances he's is too powerful. I would like to see the "echo" tag on coup be tied to devotion. I think that would be a good balance personally. No that does not remove the main culprits of the quad combo. But at least it forces the player to make some compromises if they want to roll with it.

You can also transform Joachim with Slave Infantry or Cursed Knight (if anyone plays the latter...) so he won't be in the graveyard at all.

You can also transform Joachim with Slave Infantry or Cursed Knight (if anyone plays the latter...) so he won't be in the graveyard at all.
Sometimes I do use the knight as a single card, I deem it a rather flexible inclusion against aggressive stats and spying units. After all, it's a six for five if nothing else.

I think a good start would be to simply revert the Coup buff. This was another case of the devs getting carried away. It used to be 10 provisions and deal 2 damage and people wanted it to be 9 provisions instead. But the devs couldn't just leave it at that, they had to increase its damage to 3 as well for some reason. Nobody asked for that.
It was a fine card to begin with, the only reason people complained was because they compared it to the truly absurd Echos like AA or BEagle.

I think a good start would be to simply revert the Coup buff. This was another case of the devs getting carried away. It used to be 10 provisions and deal 2 damage and people wanted it to be 9 provisions instead. But the devs couldn't just leave it at that, they had to increase its damage to 3 as well for some reason. Nobody asked for that.
It was a fine card to begin with, the only reason people complained was because they compared it to the truly absurd Echos like AA or BEagle.
I disagree, the fact that Coup + Roderick + Joachim no longer synergize with Ball at the very least adds some generic alternatives, potentially shifting most decks in the faction away from Ball.

Guest 4375874

This is not true. It may be possible to play through Joachim/coup combinations, but “preventing” them is almost impossible and involves unreasonable gyrations to one’s deck or play. Here are the ways I can think of; let me know if I missed one:

1. You can, with good luck, remove one of these cards before it is played: Kambi might get it; Ihuarraquax or Volgefortz might summon Yoachim; you could try for a lucky Ofiri Mechant, Traheaern, Cantarella, or Viper Alchemist.

2. You can destroy your own Joachim: monsters could burn a consume on it; others could use something like Alzur’s Thunder.

3. You can try to prevent Yoachim from being a target for Coup — say by purifying it and hoping it stays above 3 hit points; or by dropping a defender on its row and hope the defender does not get purified, destroyed, or moved.

4. There are a few more ways you can prevent Joachim from being played four times: you could deny Cantarella (through luck) with one of the ways mentioned above that you deny Joachim; you could Heatwave the first occurrence of Joachim instead of just destroying it; you could heatwave a played Gorthur Gavaed; you could remove Coup from your opponent’s graveyard (Squirrel, Xavier, or absurdly Assire or a Vypper); you could remove Joachim from your graveyard (Lippy, Hjalmar, Ozzrel, Mourntart, Ghoul, Assire, Xavier, or absurdly by discarding Vypper).

In retrospect, I guess there are lots of ways to prevent Joachim/coup. They have only one thing in common — every one is ridiculous.
There are really only two reasonable ways to deal with Joachim. Using Alzurs Thunder isn't one of them because you're effectively using a special card to lose points on your side of the board. That just leaves consume which only works for MO. May be worth it but given they weakened OH you really need that consume and it leaves other factions without a viable option.

The second is purify but that also has it's own problems since most allied purify cards have conditions, except the faction that has Joachim with lol
Post automatically merged:

I disagree, the fact that Coup + Roderick + Joachim no longer synergize with Ball at the very least adds some generic alternatives, potentially shifting most decks in the faction away from Ball.
Except ball wasn't the only problem. Now that they have buffed spies, I agree the buff to Coup should be reversed to do 2pts damage. The card was plenty strong before

Last edited by a moderator:
There are really only two reasonable ways to deal with Joachim. Using Alzurs Thunder isn't one of them because you're effectively using a special card to lose points on your side of the board. That just leaves consume which only works for MO. May be worth it but given they weakened OH you really need that consume and it leaves other factions without a viable option.

The second is purify but that also has it's own problems since most allied purify cards have conditions, except the faction that has Joachim with lol
Post automatically merged:

Except ball wasn't the only problem. Now that they have buffed spies, I agree the buff to Coup should be reversed to do 2pts damage. The card was plenty strong before
Everyones focus is on coup but yens invo might actually be more annoying for me. For 9 provisions its the best punish in game. Doesn't have to be a tall unit it just has to be an active wincon like gezras. Its a bit ridiculous. Not only do you remove the card from your opponents board you get to play it.

If you expect invo don't feed it. Simple rule of card games. Don't play the cards, play your opponent. haven't seen invo or Joaqium. play gezras last and don't greed him just to give your opponent a huge gezras. Sure things can be frustrating, but the one who doesn't learn from punishment deserves to get punished more. Please please only qoute me regarding games - I don't believe in such "black education" for real people.

If you expect invo don't feed it. Simple rule of card games. Don't play the cards, play your opponent. haven't seen invo or Joaqium. play gezras last and don't greed him just to give your opponent a huge gezras. Sure things can be frustrating, but the one who doesn't learn from punishment deserves to get punished more. Please please only qoute me regarding games - I don't believe in such "black education" for real people.
Getting that extra turn or two from gezras in alot of cases is a wincon. Your suggestion is funny.

Top Bottom