Anybody still remember the M+K controls in the first couple of Splinter Cell games?

+
I've been seeing a lot of complaints about a missing walk-key on PC in this game. Playing with a controller myself, but these things always make me think back fondly on those first Splinter Cell games.

In those games you controlled Sam Fishers speed using the mouse wheel. It worked kind of like a "throttle-control" on an airplane. There were 6 or so speed steps that you could easily and quickly (or slowly) scroll through to make Sam move at exactly the speed that you needed for a given situation. From the slowest sneak to full sprint and everything in between. To me that felt totally awesome, like I was in perfect control of the character. Even better than an analog stick.

Back then I thought this was going to become the new de-facto standard of PC controls in these kind of games for sure. But for some reason pretty much all games insist on using the mouse wheel for weapon selection. Something you can do much more quickly and precisely using the number keys, really. And worst case, there's always weapon wheels as a backup. Even games that have a significant stealth component and/or where being able to control speed precisely would help immersion. Kind of makes me wonder...

Only other game I know of that does it is Escape From Tarkov. You can even incrementally crouch with scroll wheel. That being said, I'm not sure it's the kind of game that needs it. Just needs a walk toggle.

Need it...? No, guess not. But you wouldn't technically "need" a walk button either, right? It'd be more a QoL feature and increase immersion. I think most games that allow speed control via an analog stick would benefit from having something that emulates that kind of control with M+K...

Top Bottom