Anyone else not finding the current GOG sale appealing?

+
Or is it just me? 50% of full price games don't appeal to me. I'm not a PC gamer so maybe there are great games on sale now which I don't know about it. Being a console gamer, I was hoping new titles would be added at a big discount, like the Mass Effect trilogy. There are other games that I've also played on console but despite the big discounts that they've had in the past, the discount is off the full price. I can wait. No hurry.

i'd pick up pillars of eternity, no man's sky and any bethesda/early bioware game and possibly the outworlds and kingdom's of amalur. but i already have them on steam so no point for me :/

oh and kingdom come and divinity OS2. those are great games too

Icinix

Forum veteran
Yeah, but only because I have all the ones I want.

Definitely due for an influx of good old games....or even...less new games...

Typically, I wouldn't expect new titles (depending on what you consider "new") to be reduced more than 50%. But half the price for a new game can still be a pretty good deal (for example, the Control Ultimate Edition).

Also keep in mind that too big discounts can be very disappointing for people who actually paid the full price before.

And yeah, Disco Elysium for -40% really is a great deal.
I'm tempted myself.

I've only played GWENT on PC. I've bought dozens of games really cheaply on GOG but not played them. So, I might never get around to playing any of them, which is why I'm balking at buying a game for half price of the full price. Maybe only for 2 or 3 games I've bought heavily discounted games from the full price. E.g. XCOM 2. I do plan on playing that once I quite GWENT, which I plan to do in the next few weeks, maybe, after the Alzur Journey has ended.

I have found PC games a different kettle of fish to my usual console choices. I tend to find them pretty pointless or boring but maybe that's just because when I've had a go at some, it was when someone had cleared an area or something and there wasn't much to do. I dunno.

I've got some of the early Elder Scrolls game on GOG. I'd probably pick up Skyrim. I could wait years to finally get around to buying a game like Disco Elysium or No man's sky. If I never play them, at least I'll only have played a few dollars for them.

If I get around to buying a current gen console next year, I'd probably be more open to buying more expensive games or full price discounted games, e.g. Last of us 2 or picking up a remaster of games I didn't play and want to, like Uncharted 4.
Post automatically merged:

i already have them on steam so no point for me :/

You haven't taken up GOG's offer to get your Steam games here?

GOG's philosophy on games appeals to me more but maybe they're just doing a Facebook and want to have enough people using it before they start raping people's privacy?

Last edited:
I've only played GWENT on PC. I've bought dozens of games really cheaply on GOG but not played them. So, I might never get around to playing any of them, which is why I'm balking at buying a game for half price of the full price. Maybe only for 2 or 3 games I've bought heavily discounted games from the full price. E.g. XCOM 2. I do plan on playing that once I quite GWENT, which I plan to do in the next few weeks, maybe, after the Alzur Journey has ended.

I have found PC games a different kettle of fish to my usual console choices. I tend to find them pretty pointless or boring but maybe that's just because when I've had a go at some, it was when someone had cleared an area or something and there wasn't much to do. I dunno.

I've got some of the early Elder Scrolls game on GOG. I'd probably pick up Skyrim. I could wait years to finally get around to buying a game like Disco Elysium or No man's sky. If I never play them, at least I'll only have played a few dollars for them.

If I get around to buying a current gen console next year, I'd probably be more open to buying more expensive games or full price discounted games, e.g. Last of us 2 or picking up a remaster of games I didn't play and want to, like Uncharted 4.

You haven't taken up GOG's offer to get your Steam games here?

GOG's philosophy on games appeals to me more but maybe they're just doing a Facebook and want to have enough people using it before they start raping people's privacy?
didn't realize that was a thing. you know i was just checking out gog and comparing it to steam. the deals are identical.... and i don't be close. the few i checked were identical. gotta be tough for gog, since they take less of the cut but are offering the same deals.

didn't realize that was a thing. you know i was just checking out gog and comparing it to steam. the deals are identical.... and i don't be close. the few i checked were identical. gotta be tough for gog, since they take less of the cut but are offering the same deals.

Personally, if I was a Steam user - which I'm not - I'd switch to the GOG version, as they are DRM free and I imagine that Steam is quite nosey about your activities online.

When I had a look at Steam, they didn't seem to have identical sales and pricing. It no doubt varies as to which outlet has the better deal on something that you want at any particular time. I don't want DRM, so Steam isn't an option for me.

If you play GOG games a lot, do you have to download software to use controllers or can you just start and play with a controller plugged in?

Personally, if I was a Steam user - which I'm not - I'd switch to the GOG version, as they are DRM free and I imagine that Steam is quite nosey about your activities online.

When I had a look at Steam, they didn't seem to have identical sales and pricing. It no doubt varies as to which outlet has the better deal on something that you want at any particular time. I don't want DRM, so Steam isn't an option for me.

If you play GOG games a lot, do you have to download software to use controllers or can you just start and play with a controller plugged in?

i'm kind of stuck in steam since 4 of my brothers are on there daily. haven't actually used gog's interface (didn't realize they had one if i'm being honest) so i'm not sure about the controllers. seems highly unlikely tho

I've been with GOG since ... 2009 - and have nearly 1000 games with offline downloaders backed up on a NAS.

The beauty of GOG - is even if they do go sour down the track - no matter what - those games I will always own and be able to play install without needing anything more than a computer.

11 years is a solid amount of time to earn trust.

I've been with GOG since ... 2009 - and have nearly 1000 games with offline downloaders backed up on a NAS.

The beauty of GOG - is even if they do go sour down the track - no matter what - those games I will always own and be able to play install without needing anything more than a computer.

11 years is a solid amount of time to earn trust.

I actually asked Support about what would happen if GOG would go bust. They said that they wouldn't. That cleared things up!

Read online somewhere something about GOG downloaders no longer being a thing. Does that change anything if true?

Since I've only played GWENT on PC (I do plan on playing XCOM 2 sometime soon, once I move on from GWENT), I was wondering what would happen if GWENT went bust or turned evil. Since I'm not a PC gamer, I thought that maybe using Galaxy for your downloads would effect your ability to play the games that you paid for. Would you lose more than just the ability to have Galaxy save your progress and data etc?

And I really should backup my PC.

i'm kind of stuck in steam since 4 of my brothers are on there daily. haven't actually used gog's interface (didn't realize they had one if i'm being honest) so i'm not sure about the controllers. seems highly unlikely tho

So GOG Galaxy doesn't speak to Steam, as far as matchmaking goes? I have seen material from GOG saying that they can sort of centralise your different accounts, e.g console account info etc. I'm not sure that I like the sound of that but it might appeal to some. I'm not clear on all the details though.

No. I've used controllers on plenty of GOG games, old and new, without ever needing additional software.

As for sales, no interest because I don't even have time to play the games I already have.

I should ask whether you need to map actions to a controller before you start. I'm used to playing PS games, so I'd be annoyed if I had to faff about learning how to map functions for a GOG game onto a controller.

Last edited:
I actually asked Support about what would happen if GOG would go bust. They said that they wouldn't. That cleared things up!

Read online somewhere something about GOG downloaders no longer being a thing. Does that change anything if true?

Since I've only played GWENT on PC (I do plan on playing XCOM 2 sometime soon, once I move on from GWENT), I was wondering what would happen if GWENT went bust or turned evil. Since I'm not a PC gamer, I thought that maybe using Galaxy for your downloads would effect your ability to play the games that you paid for. Would you lose more than just the ability to have Galaxy save your progress and data etc?

And I really should backup my PC.

Offline installers are still a thing.

If you only install through Galaxy - then even if they go bust - games you've got installed will always be fine since Galaxy doesn't need to be running for the games and will still launch and run quite happily even if offline.

Not sure about Gwent though, sorry. That is the exception.
Offline.JPG

Offline installers are still a thing.

If you only install through Galaxy - then even if they go bust - games you've got installed will always be fine since Galaxy doesn't need to be running for the games and will still launch and run quite happily even if offline.

Not sure about Gwent though, sorry. That is the exception.

Thanks for that. I forgot to ask: if you play a lot of good old games, what's the situation with drivers, for new GPUs, say? Do they run fine as is, or do you have to faff about looking out for drivers for that specific game and other drivers for other old games?

I've got a software updater that keeps saying that some of my GOGs have updates but Support said that they don't. My SU can be wrong on other apps but I'm thinking that maybe my SU is referring to Steam versions. I think that The Witcher may be one of those games.

The pic you posted...is there a desktop icon for each game which you just click to play? If not, that looks really daunting!

With GWENT, I'd say that you might only be able to play training mode or whatever it is called. Otherwise it would be dead.

Back to GOG Galaxy, I have read a lot of comments saying that people won't use it, maybe for the reason that those people think that CDPR will use their app for nefarious means or whatever.

P.S. players on Steam with the same game as people on GOG can't play against each other online? Not sure GOG users with Steam accounts and have opted to take up GOG's offer of moving their Steam game to GOG are affected in that regard.

Thanks for that. I forgot to ask: if you play a lot of good old games, what's the situation with drivers, for new GPUs, say? Do they run fine as is, or do you have to faff about looking out for drivers for that specific game and other drivers for other old games?

I've got a software updater that keeps saying that some of my GOGs have updates but Support said that they don't. My SU can be wrong on other apps but I'm thinking that maybe my SU is referring to Steam versions. I think that The Witcher may be one of those games.

The pic you posted...is there a desktop icon for each game which you just click to play? If not, that looks really daunting!

With GWENT, I'd say that you might only be able to play training mode or whatever it is called. Otherwise it would be dead.

Back to GOG Galaxy, I have read a lot of comments saying that people won't use it, maybe for the reason that those people think that CDPR will use their app for nefarious means or whatever.

I used Cyberpunk as a worst case scenario because of its size. Once you've downloaded the offline ones - you install the game and it automatically installs from each file from the EXE. Your input required is minimal. Once installed it's just a normal application you can create shortcuts for as required. Even add it to Steam via the EXE if you want - or create a folder with all the shortcuts, however works for you.

For older games they all use DOSBox automatically, so you just install and run. Works fine on newer hardware. I've got games that go way back to the late 80s and early 90s and they run smooth as silk.

I use the older GOG Galaxy, the 1.2. I don't use 2.0 because it's not as clean as the old one and has more focus on social stuff and integrating all your games from other launchers (Epic, Steam etc). Which I don't generally use anyway.

Not sure about the nefarious means, there is nothing in the Galaxy setup that is worse than other launchers. I'd still trust GOG more than anyone else, but I know there are some die hard GOGers who flat out loathe and detest any launchers.

I plan to re-buy games I have on Steam in GOG shop and move here at some point entirely. Of course, it will be problematic to get some games, new games mostly, because they're either with some form of mandatory online or exclusive to certain shops. Good thing I don't play EA, Ubisoft and Blizzard games, so there's that. And I'm seeing more and more AAA modern games here, which is damn great. There's also some obtuse Japanese publishers, who think that Steam is the only viable option or too precious about their DRM, so they also keep their games Steam-only. Maybe they will change their mind at some point. There's quite a number of Japanese games I'd love to get on GOG.

No. I've used controllers on plenty of GOG games, old and new, without ever needing additional software.

I forgot to ask: if you play old games on GOG and you keep getting new GPUs, do you have scour the internet looking for drivers to play those old games? Or you can keep playing those old games no matter how many times you upgrade your GPU? If not, do you have to do this for every old game of yours?

I used Cyberpunk as a worst case scenario because of its size. Once you've downloaded the offline ones - you install the game and it automatically installs from each file from the EXE.,,,

Not sure about the nefarious means, there is nothing in the Galaxy setup that is worse than other launchers. I'd still trust GOG more than anyone else, but I know there are some die hard GOGers who flat out loathe and detest any launchers.

For Cyberpunk, do you just have one desktop launch icon, or do you have to faff about as you progress through the game, looking for new launch options? XCOM 2 is the first 'normal' game I'll play on PC, once I bail on GWENT. At least with Galaxy I shouldn't have to faff about looking for launchers as I progress.

With the GOGers who loathe Galaxy, I got the impression that they were suspicious of it, like it was spyware or somewhere. Haven't really followed that stuff though. Just my impression.

I plan to re-buy games I have on Steam in GOG shop and move here at some point entirely.

Last I heard, GOG GIVES you the game that you own on Steam for FREE here. I assume that in that case you have the game on two different platforms but they just want you to play it on theirs, obviously.

Last I heard, GOG GIVES you the game that you own on Steam for FREE here. I assume that in that case you have the game on two different platforms but they just want you to play it on theirs, obviously.
I don't know how it works. The only time they offered me a game I own on Steam was with Witcher 2. I think I had a key and I used it to add the game here on the shop. Not sure it's fair for all other games.

Top Bottom