Anyone else not liking the graphic executions? [GIF warning]

+
The gore is part of the game's style, part of the developers' artistic vision. Just like Tarentino movies.

This is very true, a medieval sword is not a katana, it is not as sharp and much of the damage it does to the victim isn't cutting them and crushing them. yes crushing not cutting. An unclean beheading is not an uncommon occurrence in history simply because of how difficult it is to cut clean through a person. Hair is enough to stop a clean beheading, yes hair, long hair over the neck may seem like nothing at all but that is enough to cause an issue that can effect a beheading. If you think that is impossible remember that silk was used in Japan to stop arrows. So why weren't people running around in all silk armour you say? because it has zero effect on concussive damage/blunt force trauma. So the arrow hitting you could break bone but it wont penetrate deep killing you. A fully grown man in clothing is not going to be cut in half but a mundane sword, it just can't and wont happen. No matter the strength of the person or the type of sword.

You have to learn proper sword techniques with a katana to learn not to get the sword stuck in bone. Why? because bone doesn't cut easy at all and flesh offers a lot of resistance so when you reach bone it is very easy to get it caught. That's with a weapon significantly sharper then the swords used by Geralt. It doesn't take a lot of friction to stop a moving object of little weight. There is a reason why most bullet wounds are not through and through even gut shots. Because the human body offers a LOT of friction/resistance and this is from an object at least a hundred times less surface area than a sword travelling at significant speeds faster and they still get stopped by the body.

Now the above said finishing moves are a staple of the series and I play fantasy for the fantastic not the realistic so I give finishing moves a pass. But lets not confuse fantasy with reality.

Most of this is wrong, same as claims of 6kg swords. A longsword is sharp, it carries an edge and is also higher quality steel than a pattern welded katana.
The blade shape of the katana makes cutting marginally easier to pull off, but a drawn cut with a longsword is just as capable of cutting through non metallic armours, and flesh and bone beneath..

The longsword shape is how it is, to permit thrusting, to penetrate weak spots of metallic armour - fighting techniques included half-swording to bring the tip into joints, visor slits etc.

Ceremonial swords and training swords are dulled &/or thicker sections to reduce injury risk and to be cheaper. Quality military weapons are as sharp as any other sword, will hold an edge well and are nothing like the crap "tested" on History Channel and other "which sword is best" TV shows.

(Which also usually have butted maille when looking at maille effectiveness, and so many other inaccuracies and errors it is a shame the money to make them is wasted. They don't add to people's knowledge, but rather actively make people less informed.)

Last edited:
Not realistic?

I can promise you that the reality of real-life violence in the medieval period in Europe would make you throw up if you could go back and re-live it. Beheadings, dismemberment, people desperatly trying to push their own entrails back into their bodies. If you think the violence in W3 is over the top - think again. When humans waged war in the real world in the times of greatswords, polearms, flails etc - injuries like the ones in W3 would pale in comparison.

Yeah...largest "hand and a half swords" or two-handed swords weighted at most 2-2.5 kg...sry about that...in this time of google i sound like an idiot.

Last edited:
Most of this is wrong, same as claims of 6kg swords. A longsword is sharp, it carries an edge and is also higher quality steel than a pattern welded katana.
The blade shape of the katana makes cutting marginally easier to pull off, but a drawn cut with a longsword is just as capable of cutting through non metallic armours, and flesh and bone beneath..

The longsword shape is how it is, to permit thrusting, to penetrate weak spots of metallic armour - fighting techniques included half-swording to bring the tip into joints, visor slits etc.

Ceremonial swords and training swords are dulled &/or thicker sections to reduce injury risk and to be cheaper. Quality military weapons are as sharp as any other sword, will hold an edge well and are nothing like the crap "tested" on History Channel and other "which sword is best" TV shows.

(Which also usually have butted maille when looking at maille effectiveness, and so many other inaccuracies and errors it is a shame the money to make them is wasted. They don't add to people's knowledge, but rather actively make people less informed.)

So why doesn't archaeological evidence support the cut in two sword wound? limbs yeah there is LOTS of archaeological evidence for the swords being able to cut of a limb there is even evidence for showing the lower part (aka below the knee) of both legs being severed in one blow. But where is the archaeological evidence of all these torso cut in two deaths? Where are these swords so sharp that they cut a man in two at the torso wounds? Very rarely do you find a battle field beheading vs a execution beheading. It is not easy to cut off a head. most bodies with head wounds from swords are NOT decapitations. yes swords cut bone they are not light sabres that server limbs.

In the book Armour of the battle of Wisby, by Thordeman, we get a good picture of the wounds suffered and the skeletal remains are well documented. 400 of just over 1000 fighters in the part of exevation suffered serious leg wounds, Bones were severed through or cracked and shattered. Other wounds cut through muscle and tissue of the leg and several victims lost both legs. I don't know of a documented case of a cut in two torso. Swords just aren't sharp enough to do this. Please show me archaeological evidence that this is the case. If you can find more than one such case i will admit whole heartily that I was wrong but I have never come across a single case. (Why two and not just one? because a single data point isn't proof.)

I think it's perfect. More blood is more fun. :)

The Witcher 3 features som bloody execution moves, as you can see below (From IGN first / Neogaf)

Does anything else feel that's a bit much? I get that it's dramatic and all that, but it's not something I enjoy seeing every fight.

Have a nice day,
Matt

Top Bottom