Anyone else not liking the graphic executions? [GIF warning]

+
The only thing I dislike about them is when they tend to be exaggerated, like cutting a person in half, or if they'll become too common. Otherwise I love them. The more moderate amputation is very in line with Geralt and the books, and TW3 does them well because they're quick and simple. Geralt doesn't make a spectacle of it. In TW2, for example, besides the finishers taking place as a cutscene and tearing you out of the moment only to return to it in an awkward manner, some of them were really over-the-top. Such as Geralt flipping someone in the air. That's him making a spectacle of it. I haven't seen this sort of Geralt so far in TW3. Like in the middle GIF in the OP - two cuts, that's it. Or like in the end of the new footage, where he just slams his sword into someone and embraces him, then slips back. These are the finishers I like. They have impact and they're not a show of acrobatics.

Agent Bleu I don't understand what you mean by slow-mo being something that Geralt would engage in. It's a developer's addition to make it cinematic, I'm not sure what it has to do with the character. Also, I'm not sure where you get this,
Geralt doesn't kill for fun and would take no pleasure watching as the blade chops off, severs, decapitates, and a jacuzzi of blood then gushes through. Now, we're roleplaying as Geralt. How exactly are these slo mo finishers in-character again?
Geralt is not a sadist, but it's mentioned plenty that he's very emotional in battle and that more than once he enters almost a bloodlust-like frenzy. Decapitations aren't something unknown to him. If they happen in the spur of the moment during battle and not with Geralt asking someone to hold still while he tries to chop off his head in one stroke, I don't see what's out of character here.

He's kinda brutal at times.

I think that a toggle for the slow-mo would solve all of our problems, there for the ones that want it, and out for those who don't, simple.

I think they are fine. I would like to see more stabbing and non kills such as taking out 3 guys and the 4th one drops his weapon and runs. Away or. cutting off a guys hand causes him to fall writhing in pain.

The only thing I dislike about them is when they tend to be exaggerated, like cutting a person in half, or if they'll become too common. Otherwise I love them. The more moderate amputation is very in line with Geralt and the books, and TW3 does them well because they're quick and simple. Geralt doesn't make a spectacle of it. In TW2, for example, besides the finishers taking place as a cutscene and tearing you out of the moment only to return to it in an awkward manner, some of them were really over-the-top. Such as Geralt flipping someone in the air. That's him making a spectacle of it. I haven't seen this sort of Geralt so far in TW3. Like in the middle GIF in the OP - two cuts, that's it. Or like in the end of the new footage, where he just slams his sword into someone and embraces him, then slips back. These are the finishers I like. They have impact and they're not a show of acrobatics.

Agent Bleu I don't understand what you mean by slow-mo being something that Geralt would engage in. It's a developer's addition to make it cinematic, I'm not sure what it has to do with the character. Also, I'm not sure where you get this,

Geralt is not a sadist, but it's mentioned plenty that he's very emotional in battle and that more than once he enters almost a bloodlust-like frenzy. Decapitations aren't something unknown to him. If they happen in the spur of the moment during battle and not with Geralt asking someone to hold still while he tries to chop off his head in one stroke, I don't see what's out of character here.

This.

Also:
Just ask old Terranova why Geralt chopped his head off, he could have just stabbed him right? :D
Probably because it's not safe to approach Geralt while Ciri is being threatened by someone :hmmm:

I seem to remember someone saying that you can turn off dismemberment. (not that I'd want to.) anyone else remember that?

Geralt would don't kill by pleasure... but readers have a great pleasure when Sapkowski relate these scenes so accurately. I'm reading the book while I'm watching this 15' vid. I mean, In every frame I see what I've read.

I congrat CDPR for achieving such this level in an open world. I see the White Wolf who doesn't search torture hiting and hiting with little wounds but calculated and quick kills. Guess I've expressed myself correctly :p

The Witcher 3 features som bloody execution moves, as you can see below (From IGN first / Neogaf)

Does anything else feel that's a bit much? I get that it's dramatic and all that, but it's not something I enjoy seeing every fight.

Have a nice day,
Matt

I THINK IT'S AMAZING:animier::animier::animier::animier::animier:

I seem to remember someone saying that you can turn off dismemberment. (not that I'd want to.) anyone else remember that?

i'm not sure about that specifically, but i do recall that there was some option to increase criticals for the 35 min demo in which almost all enemies were decapitated just purely for the presentation purposes. i have no idea if there'd be this option in the game-- and if there is, if the IGN guys used it.

to be honest, i don't think there would be an option to reduce the gore or change the finishers much, it seems like a weird thing to toggle in what is an R rated game (18+, a rare rating where i'm from). also keeping in mind this is an older build-- i know we can't keep saying that forever but it's possible it's still being tweaked. this is something i'm personally prepared to get used to. but it's interesting seeing people's perspectives though.

Hit the nail on the head with that one. It's pretty much the case.

Also pointing out again that the slow motion is not used for the complete take down animation. Watching him kill that guy at the bridge and the archer at the very end, you can see some slow motion in just a certain part of the whole thing so it's not really that bad.

I'd like an option to turn finishing moves off, slow mo effects are so 90s. Also I would like to see a sword able to cut a man in half with a single blow. There goes the idea of the Witcher series being "realistic".

I'd like an option to turn finishing moves off, slow mo effects are so 90s. Also I would like to see a sword able to cut a man in half with a single blow. There goes the idea of the Witcher series being "realistic".
It's the cutting a man in half that emptied that term of meaning for you, and not there being people who go through mutations, receive cat eyes, see in the dark, are fiendishly quick, can consume things that are so poisonous to others they'd kill them but to witchers actually enhance their abilities, sorceresses turning carts of soldiers into carts of frogs, dragons communicating telepathically and shapeshifting in a blink of an eye, mages regenerating eyesight (or just eyes even), and so on, and so forth?

You're hijacking that term to mean what you want it to mean. There are plenty of things that are exaggerated in the witcher world, and if we're prickly for consistency within the world, then I don't see how determining that a witcher can endure poison, live through a brutal beating that breaks so many bones in his body, slow his heartbeat so he doesn't bleed to death like most people - is realistic, but deciding that in addition to all of these perks they also have mutant-like strength is out of the picture. That is extremely arbitrary.

But even with that being said, I don't think the realism has to do with the feats of the characters in question, but rather about the characters' interaction, characters' reactions, the state of affairs, the attitude, the emotions, etc. The realism is, in my opinion, attributed much more to the behavior and feelings of the people in the world and not their inhuman capabilities. Because there are plenty of those.

Though I'm kinda arguing a point I don't agree with anyway. I don't think it's right to call the franchise realistic to begin with.

Last edited:
Well that ship has sailed as the most outlandish ones were already in TW1. At any rate, DB found a way to disable them in TW2, might be possible here as well. If I were to disable them it'd be for expediency/gameplay purposes.

You do realise that I only did that mod to stop you complaining about them, don't you? :)
Anyway, the main issue was TW2 was that they were cutscenes, I don't see the same problem here.

The first one looks really stupid.

These executions are implemented for kids who think this is cool. Wow, look at me, i cut the man in half!!!

Smaller sword, pig size approching man constitution

It's absolutly possible for a mutant master swordman.

Top Bottom