Anyone else not liking the graphic executions? [GIF warning]

+
the cleaving in half wouldn't make much sense on anything other than naked monsters. the decapitation and dismemberment of limbs would make sense on normal, unarmored creatures and humans. this level of dismemberment should be impossible on armored characters however.

Actually, you can turn the finishers off in the game options. :)

Regarding "Horse Slow-Mo" - it is not meant as a sort of finisher. On the horse, when you hold the button for fast attack, it slows down time when you are close to an enemy. This allows you to line up your attack a bit better for a few split seconds. The window for this is relatively short, as it sort of wears off as soon as you get too close to the enemy.

Consider this: horse combat without the slow down didn't play too well, since the horse movement is quite fast. The high speed, when testing, got even more problematic on horse to horse combat, so the short slow down window (again, only activated when holding the button within a certain range of an enemy) helps a lot here.

Edit: Typoooos the german in me couldn't resist to fix.

Are you guys perfect !?:D

Turning off finishers doesn't really do it for me. I like finishers, but cutting someone into a bloody mess like this

Is really just too over the top. His entire body becomes one giant red blob. That doesn't look appealing at all, it just looks like gore done wrong. Adding extra blood to the area of the cut makes much more sense to me than turning the entire person into a red mess. I'm probably going to have to play with finishers/gore off if this happens a lot.

I really liked the W2 cinematic finishers, they just looked so cool but I think there was only 16 of them.

I quite liked them, but they caused problems at times when Geralt wasn't quite where expected, or ready to react, when the cinematic ended. It was particularly bad in Arena, but also happened occasionally in the main game. So I'm glad they went.

Actually, you can turn the finishers off in the game options. :)

Regarding "Horse Slow-Mo" - it is not meant as a sort of finisher. On the horse, when you hold the button for fast attack, it slows down time when you are close to an enemy. This allows you to line up your attack a bit better for a few split seconds. The window for this is relatively short, as it sort of wears off as soon as you get too close to the enemy.

Consider this: horse combat without the slow down didn't play too well, since the horse movement is quite fast. The high speed, when testing, got even more problematic on horse to horse combat, so the short slow down window (again, only activated when holding the button within a certain range of an enemy) helps a lot here.

Edit: Typoooos the german in me couldn't resist to fix.

What! Why would anyone ever turn off the finishers lol..
I like the hose slow-mo ;)

I quite liked them, but they caused problems at times when Geralt wasn't quite where expected, or ready to react, when the cinematic ended. It was particularly bad in Arena, but also happened occasionally in the main game. So I'm glad they went.

I agree 110% the majority of my deaths in The Witcher 2 were from problems with the finishers. I'd either end up somewhere that would take me a couple seconds to figure out where I was or i'd have an enemy behind me shooting me with arrows. As long as I can see what's going on around me i'll have no issues with The Witcher 3's fatalities finishers.

Really like them.
There is really only 1 finisher there.
The one where he cuts off the head.
The horse thing is looks like a slowdown mechanic that helps you slash the enemies at the right time.

Really like them.
There is really only 1 finisher there.
The one where he cuts off the head.
The horse thing is looks like a slowdown mechanic that helps you slash the enemies at the right time.
Missed one. The very last seconds of the new footage show another finisher; Geralt thrusting his sword through the deserter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McI_PbjqWsg&t=14m39s

There's this from the GDC footage too. Another decapitation, but slightly different motions. Also happens to be the same poor sod that gets decapitated by Geralt in 15 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umx4HuoHVAA&t=15m53s

Personally I like that the game has them, but I just hope there's a large variety and I also hope it's not something that happens "every single fight."

Things like this are best used when it only happens rarely, say 1 out of 20 fights or so.

This is something that movies learned long ago.

A prime example of this is the Star Wars films. Lightsabers obviously cut through things easily, but haven't you ever wondered why it isn't shown more often? It's simple, because when it DOES happen, seeing it happen carries that much more weight to the character because it's not used all the time.

When a big fight happens and you see someone get a hand lopped off or cut in half, the impact of that is much more intense because it isn't shown too often and you're not used to it.

Hopefully the Witcher 3 will know this and it isn't something over-done and wears itself thin qucikly.

Yeah, it's a kind of desensitisation or habituation. One part of me thought it would be nice to have it sporadically, but thinking of similar examples, such as with Max Payne, I don't remember getting entirely desensitised by it. But by the looks of it, it's only present with human combatants, so I hope that in itself makes it rarer. Also, are the finishers instigated by signs and crossbows? I might actively try and arbitrate a more irregular style if not.

Last edited:
Personally I like that the game has them, but I just hope there's a large variety and I also hope it's not something that happens "every single fight."

Things like this are best used when it only happens rarely, say 1 out of 20 fights or so.

This is something that movies learned long ago.

A prime example of this is the Star Wars films. Lightsabers obviously cut through things easily, but haven't you ever wondered why it isn't shown more often? It's simple, because when it DOES happen, seeing it happen carries that much more weight to the character because it's not used all the time.

When a big fight happens and you see someone get a hand lopped off or cut in half, the impact of that is much more intense because it isn't shown too often and you're not used to it.

Hopefully the Witcher 3 will know this and it isn't something over-done and wears itself thin qucikly.
Well, I'm rather desensitized sorry! 1 in 20 fights, no way...
ME SoM does it all the time and it's awesome. It has variety and still doesn't get old, the only thing that gets old, is hearing the same damn voice actors saying the same damn shit over and over again. lol.. Shhhh don't go there ;)

The reality of sharp swords, wielded by a strong, skilled arm, has some rather striking consequences. I'll wager the number of decapitations, dismemberments, and other gory separations, will be accurately reflected.

This is probably the first time I've seen the adjective 'visceral' used for something appropriate in recent years.

Probably!?

I don't have problem with this cutting, but the first one is exaggerated.
But this is waste of time and resources if you ask me, especially for this type of the game. This isn't easy to make.

However, when it's implemented properly like here:

Ah thanky for BOD-it was such a perfect game(and a secret level if you collect all rune stones-amazing)
I wish one day someone will make it from scratch in new engine

Ah thanky for BOD-it was such a perfect game(and a secret level if you collect all rune stones-amazing)
I wish one day someone will make it from scratch in new engine

Probably the grandfather of Dark souls. If someone made a new Blade of Darkness for current gen with some of it's problems sorted, it would be just amazing.

Top Bottom