Anyone else not use a crossbow

+
Anyone else not use a crossbow

because it looks stupid on Geralt's back? Maybe if he placed it on his hip, it is a small one handed crossbow after all.

Are there any other ways to deal with underwater enemies besides the crossbow?

I don't ever run around with it equipped. I only equip the crossbow when I have to go for a swim, and I unequip the swords for water anyway. Doesn't look quite as bad just having the bow strapped to his upper back, without the swords. But two swords and a crossbow all together just annoys the hell out of me.

U know one of the mutations turns the crossbow into a noob tube pretty much. You can kill shit in 3 shots and sometimes 1 shot stuff!!! But theres far better mutations just saying

I dont use the crossbow on any of my playtroughs at all, and i play on blood and broken bones. As for dealing for underwater enemies i simply ignore them, they are not much of an issue most of the time.

It actually took me some time to notice that the crossbow is much more effective against underwater enemies, this is not intuitive at all.

The inclusion of the crossbow goes against the whole witcher lore, it's explained in the books that Geralt never used ranged weapons because he was extremely fast and had superhuman reflexes, could deflect arrows with his sword, and had the signs in case a ranged attack was absolutely necessary. He was even offered Nilfgard throwing stars ("orions" in the book), but refused to buy them, claiming that they are "impractical, because they make too much noise in-flight".

Times change, even if Geralt did not use crossbows in the novels, it does not imply he never would in a situation where it is necessary. Although the game does acknowledge the past with his comment "A witcher with a crossbow? We breaking with tradition?" when Vesemir gives him the weapon. In any case, since the developers chose to put crossbows in the game, they might just as well have made them actually useful and behave in a somewhat consistent and logical way. Geralt not liking crossbows does not explain why they deal almost 0 damage under normal conditions, at most his lack of experience would make using them slow and inaccurate. But it was implemented this way probably for gameplay balancing reasons.

I never used to use the crossbow but having realised it was the only thing that worked underwater, I always have it equipped. Plus it's great for downing flying beasties as well.It was such a pain trying to get a hit in when they swooped! A couple of crossbow shots and they fall - leaving you free to run up and chop them up :)

I rarely use it. Normally, I'll use it to down a flying creature or try to stun an opponent, but only to follow up with the real attack. e.g. Bolt, bomb / Yrden where it falls, flurry of attacks, withdraw. (I refuse to use it underwater.)

I like the crossbow and use it for flying enemies and water enemies. I make a point to upgrade the bolts whenever I can!

Crossbow is silly. That it's the only useable weapon underwater against beasts in their own element is a complete joke.

Maybe it would have been better if I'd cultivated it in the skills tree but the idea of putting ability points into ranged weapons to the detriment of casting and potion making? No way.

No Title

Hmm the crossbow it's useful in very specific scenarios, as mention before underwater and fliying creatures. Also it sometimes work to interrupt incoming attacks almost like in Bloodborne (sadly there is not counter opening or special move to that..it will be cool). It's meant to add something new to the witcher games and to consider another option when you are making a build towards crossbows (i don't know if someone made one in my circle of contacts). i love the concepts (image) for the crossbow (wristbow? a mod with it would be a nice concept) but i can see how much of Assassins Creed Unity is in it and why the scrapt it (made the different models of crossbow for every model of gloves? too much work).

Attachments

• photo165091.jpg
    photo165091.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 352
New player here, i'm actually often forgot crossbow even exist.
Never use it outside swimming
I thought there is a good unlocked ability down the line, but from the opinion gather here, seems that's not the case.
So i didn't miss anything, haha.

Last edited:
I play on Deathmarch difficulty and I use the crossbow all the time, I don't think there is any other way to deal with under water monsters other than the crossbow but it seems to work well enough when you lock on I havent really had to try anything else. I mainly use the crossbow to break certain guards on stuff you are fighting or to knock the flying creatures out of the air. I think I have to use it a little more often than most people since I am playing on the hardest difficulty but only as more of a strategic tool as apposed to a damage dealing weapon. I have a twitch stream Typ093 if anyones interested in checking it out.

I only use it for underwater/boat combat, but it's so low-damaging in normal combat that it might as well not be there. Signs are the real Witcher ranged weapon.

Top Bottom