Anyone else severely disappointed with what CDPR did to Radovid? [Big spoilers]

+
Anyone else severely disappointed with what CDPR did to Radovid? [Big spoilers]

Honestly one of the worst character arcs in gaming.

The Witcher 1: Awesome spy-king who infiltrates another kingdom's city to manipulate his way into marrying the King's daughter and gain a strong foothold in the country.

The Witcher 2: Potentially outplays and masterfully manipulates politics, ensuring he's in a strong position for any invasion and has an iron will. Still a pretty nice bloke, when you meet him he's amicable and he respects you and Roche. Even if you side with Iorveth he regrets being unable to free you, politics being the only reason.

The Witcher 3: Muauahahaha BURN THE WITCH! HEAR THE CHESS PIECES GERALT??? LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB HAHAHAHA KILL GERALT FOR NO REASON LOL

Don't even get me started on his character model and the ending of that questline with Dijkstra.

Seriously CDPR what the fuck. Did you think the Nilfgaard/North choice was too obvious or something?

Ravodid was obviously bat-shit insane by the end of AoK. That he has continued his decline is something I fully expected...

(I like that it isn't an error by Trollolo ~ around half of the soldiers in his army use Ravodid, and this would have been where the poor Troll got his information from).

Didn't he gouge out Phillipa's eyes in the W2? I pretty much hated him from then on anyway.

And he called a mage hunt that led to rape and murder at Loc Muinne if you don't save Triss.

Didn't he gouge out Phillipa's eyes in the W2? I pretty much hated him from then on anyway.

Yeah, but she essentially made him into the person he is. Plus, I believe it was implied she was involved in Vizimir's death, and she definitely profited from it and ousted Dijkstra straight away. Add to that trying to kill everyone in Loc Muinne, and I can see why the mage hunt was justified initially.

Witcher 2 ending sequence says that Radovid is a stern but just ruler who makes Temeria a strong protectorate and is allies with Kaedwen. Then they just made him into a madman with downs syndrome(judging by his character model) who speaks to his chess pieces and shouts 'lub dub lub dub'

Yeah as much as I love TW3 so far CDPR got a bit lazy with the politics aspects

It isn't nearly as in depth as in TW2 and they really screwed up Radovid (that face and character change...)

I think Radovids quest is not even a main one, dude deserved a much bigger and better role though

Yeah, but she essentially made him into the person he is. Plus, I believe it was implied she was involved in Vizimir's death, and she definitely profited from it and ousted Dijkstra straight away. Add to that trying to kill everyone in Loc Muinne, and I can see why the mage hunt was justified initially.

Witcher 2 ending sequence says that Radovid is a stern but just ruler who makes Temeria a strong protectorate and is allies with Kaedwen. Then they just made him into a madman with downs syndrome(judging by his character model) who speaks to his chess pieces and shouts 'lub dub lub dub'

And is he so unhappy with how he turned out that he had to punish the Lady that made him that way? She never took action against him and none of the actions Letho took on her behalf could be traced back to him, so what's the problem exactly?

Yeah I was pretty bummed by his character development made absolutely no sense. CDPR dropped the ball big time regarding him. I really enjoyed his character in the previous titles. The writing in this game is phenamonal but what happened to Radovid stinks of biowaresque " He is mad!!Insane!!!Evill!!"" style of writing. Expected much more of CDPR

---------- Updated at 12:23 AM ----------

Also Vernon roche thinking that killing the Redanian king during wartime will free Temaria makes absolutely no sense. Has he gone daft?? Killing the king of largest northern opposition to Emhyr so he could roll over the rest of the north in a days time??? Everything they wrote for Radovid and Roche makes no sense what so ever, and stinks of lazy bioware style writing.

I think he did it to gain the favor of Northen kingdoms people since the Thanned event (that mages aren't welcome in Northen kingdoms.) But he went too far. Even Emhyr/Dunny got cursed before but he didn't hate the mage/sorcerers that much.

I did not play that far yet (still in Velen, clearing secondary quests and objectives), but even in TW2 Radovid was on his way to become totally unhinged. There was no iron-clad indisputable reason to start massive witch-hunts, kill thousands of people, and destroy all magic-related economic enterprises. Suddenly becoming the only Northern king left standing may well come into his head. So I wouldn't be surprised if he goes bat-shit crazy of his sudden immense power and influence. Well, whatever it is, I hope there is an option to get him out of the picture permanently.

I also did not see those scenes yet, but he is crazy - his efforts against mages are described in books. He maybe looked like wise king in W2, but for how long he was on scene?

If he will become hostile to Geralt, it won't surprise me. That little idiot should have burned behind that tiny shield in W2.
But as I said several times, there were no great decisions for me.

(W3 so far has similar problem - during audience the worst I could do was to ignore that *** and don't bow ... no chance to grab his head and break his neck when we were alone.. :( )

his efforts against mages are described in books.

Yeah. This definitely is described considering he's king for about 2 chapters and he's 13 years old. Unless you mean the extended timeline, which I still don't think he's mentioned in. The timeline does mention a witch hunt in these years so I guess CDPR needed to adhere to it and force it in regardless of Witcher 2 choices

I am struggling to identify which is the more Pro Nilfgardien choice of the two choices at the end of this quest line? I guess its peace, but war means it can be run 100% under NIlfgardien rule? Any opinions on this, anyone?

You mean the end of the assassination plotline?

If you kill him then Nilfgaard wins. If you spare him or let Dijkstra take over the North wins. Emhyr's in a really shit position due to trade unions or some shit, he only wins if you take out all his enemies.

You mean the end of the assassination plotline?

If you kill him then Nilfgaard wins. If you spare him or let Dijkstra take over the North wins. Emhyr's in a really shit position due to trade unions or some shit, he only wins if you take out all his enemies.

Thanks! Yeah I just made that decision to kill dijkstra and it did seem the clearer option for a pro Nilfgardien. It's a pitty Geralt doesn't get involved in more politics.

Radovid's descent to madness was irritating to watch.

The lack of choices to side with Radovid is pathetic. The guy was setup as a brilliant strategist that outwiitted his opponents. He thinks coolly in both The Witcher and AoK but suddenly loses it when Nilfgaard invades despite the fact has utterly wiped out the Lodge, crippled Phillipa, and has fought Emhyr to a stalemate.

His sudden descent to madness made no sense.

I also liked Radovid in TW2. Was disappointed how crazy he became in the one time that I've seen him so far in TW2. Also, he was a pretty decent looking dude in TW2, now he looks just plain silly. Not sure why they changed the character model so much. It was also disappointing to see Henselt just killed off like that. I specifically made Roche spare him in TW2 so that the north wouldn't be so weakened, and then he just dies off pre-TW3. I was hoping to meet up with the bastard again.

I was disappointed as well, TBH. Radovid had been, up to that point, one of my favourite characters, but he became too insane.

I was disappointed as well, TBH. Radovid had been, up to that point, one of my favourite characters, but he became too insane.

And it wasn't even a subtle madness. It wasn't something you'd slowly observe in the game and come to your own conclusions about. He literally talks to his chess pieces and roars 'lub dub' at you at Roche.

Top Bottom