Anyone else severely disappointed with what CDPR did to Radovid? [Big spoilers]

+
No, you already got hints in TW2. In his conversation with Philipa, when he recalls his childhood - all his observations how people behaved, waiting for Philipa's approval, and all, which is something that he feels very strongly about, it is obvious that he became obsessively paranoid - constantly observing, analyzing, suspecting, always believing people were making fun of him, and so on. I felt that he was on his way to become this universe's Mad King. I wouldn't have bet that CDPR would go all out with this, but to portray him as very reasonable and logical - not a chance.

No, you already got hints in TW2. In his conversation with Philipa, when he recalls his childhood - all his observations how people behaved, waiting for Philipa's approval, and all, which is something that he feels very strongly about, it is obvious that he became obsessively paranoid - constantly observing, analyzing, suspecting, always believing people were making fun of him, and so on. I felt that he was on his way to become this universe's Mad King. I wouldn't have bet that CDPR would go all out with this, but to portray him as very reasonable and logical - not a chance.
I got this vibe from Radovid in AoK as well. When I saw him, especially in Iorveth's path, I saw that this guy is going to off his rocker into full retard territory someday.

Yeah. This definitely is described considering he's king for about 2 chapters and he's 13 years old. Unless you mean the extended timeline, which I still don't think he's mentioned in. The timeline does mention a witch hunt in these years so I guess CDPR needed to adhere to it and force it in regardless of Witcher 2 choices
Have you read those books? Do you remember that line, when they (all kings/queens) sit on tribune a watch that military parade? There was mentioned mages hunt. Also some ending in W2 showed his relation ship with mages.

Yeah I was pretty bummed by his character development made absolutely no sense. CDPR dropped the ball big time regarding him. I really enjoyed his character in the previous titles. The writing in this game is phenamonal but what happened to Radovid stinks of biowaresque " He is mad!!Insane!!!Evill!!"" style of writing. Expected much more of CDPR---------- Updated at 12:23 AM ----------Also Vernon roche thinking that killing the Redanian king during wartime will free Temaria makes absolutely no sense. Has he gone daft?? Killing the king of largest northern opposition to Emhyr so he could roll over the rest of the north in a days time??? Everything they wrote for Radovid and Roche makes no sense what so ever, and stinks of lazy bioware style writing.
Wasn't the plan to sign a truce with Emhyr and just hope he stuck to it? Better than waging a long war and ending up with the Empire of Redania under the insane Radovid.

the first person who mentioned Radovid madness was a nilfgaardian, I thought it was just some propaganda, then when I met him I thought at first his madness was caused by a spell cast by Phillipa, like the one she used with Saskia, as ea mean of revenge but no. They just made him go full retard, he is still the best tactician the north have ever knwned but he is alos completely mad, come on that make no sense;

Also when Geralt meet him during Iorveth path he seems to respect the witcher and even if Geralt is a witness he still let him live, but on TW3 when Geralt act like he want to help Radovid but that time Radovid want to kill him, the political part of The Witcher 3 make no sense at all.

It would be one thing if Radovid was a little crazy and paranoid. However, to make him go off the deep end is just silly. He should be a tough and ruthless king, but one who is incredibly bright and can get what he wants. That's kind of how I pictured him in TW2. The choice between which side you'd want to win the war should be a tough one. I feel like all signs point to Nilfgaard being the easy choice.

He had a hatred for mages but NOWHERE in AoK did it indicate that Radovid was near madness with his hatred.

His permission for his forces to wipe out the Lodge and then systematic rooting out mages made sense politically.

He was cunning, patient, and brilliant.

How else did he take over Temeria and wipe out some of the smartest people in the Northern Kingdoms?

Sorry but his madness in TW3 borders on idiocy.

Last edited:
It would be one thing if Radovid was a little crazy and paranoid. However, to make him go off the deep end is just silly. He should be a tough and ruthless king, but one who is incredibly bright and can get what he wants. That's kind of how I pictured him in TW2. The choice between which side you'd want to win the war should be a tough one. I feel like all signs point to Nilfgaard being the easy choice.

Just re-writing this a little to show that the path of the story arc isn't too far fetched:

It would be one thing if Adolf was a little crazy and paranoid. However, to make him go off the deep end is just silly. He should be a tough and ruthless leader, but one who is incredibly bright and can get what he wants. That's kind of how I pictured him in 1933. The choice between which side you'd want to win the war should be a tough one. I feel like all signs point to Russia being the easy choice.

His hatred for, and persecution of mages and anyone else who is tainted with this "disease" is similar to the persecution of Gypsies, Jews and others, with an illogical blaming of this group for all the ills befalling the world.

Dunno, in my game Radovid became the King of the entire North and ruled long and bloodily, just like he was always going to:victory:

is hatred for, and persecution of mages and anyone else who is tainted with this "disease" is similar to the persecution of Gypsies, Jews and others, with an illogical blaming of this group for all the ills befalling the world.

Well that's exactly our point, Radovid has basically became hitler whereas in the witcher 2 he wasn't at all like him, Nilfgaard made him think that all the mages are iresponsible for the regicide by presenting him some evidences and even the kingslayer. If you save Triss she explain everithing to him and he react by just punishing the lodge who is the real culprit.

He have every right to show no mercy against the women of the lodge, they murdered his father and manipulated him during all his youth. In tje witcher 3 the game want you to feel sorry for Phillipa and you have no other choice that to help her but she create radovid and he deserved his revenge.

Just re-writing this a little to show that the path of the story arc isn't too far fetched:

It would be one thing if Adolf was a little crazy and paranoid. However, to make him go off the deep end is just silly. He should be a tough and ruthless leader, but one who is incredibly bright and can get what he wants. That's kind of how I pictured him in 1933. The choice between which side you'd want to win the war should be a tough one. I feel like all signs point to Russia being the easy choice.

His hatred for, and persecution of mages and anyone else who is tainted with this "disease" is similar to the persecution of Gypsies, Jews and others, with an illogical blaming of this group for all the ills befalling the world.

So Radovid = Hilter pretty much? What's the point of even caring for the fate of the Northern Kingdoms then? Every decent leader in the north is dead. Nilfgaard coming in almost seems like they're liberators. I'll take Nilfgaard any day over Hitlervid.

That's the whole point here isn't it? That Radovid has been made to be completely insane. It's like, hey let's save the north from Nilfgaard, but the King in the North is even worse than the emperor.

Last edited:
There is no good ending when u set the North free. Rado is a Nazi and to choose Djkstra will kill Roche,Ves and Thaler. So the best option is to side with Milfgaard.

Sad that there is no fine Dude to choose for the North. (Anais?)

Sometimes being a patriot isn't the right thing. Welcome to the real world.

That's not the point. The point is that there should be good and bad in each decision (that's how it tends to work in The Witcher). Instead it seems that choosing the North is all bad and no good.

---------- Updated at 02:51 PM ----------

Oh, and for S&Gs

Irony is that Geralt spend entire second game to clear his name not being king murder now he can became quite the opposite
And what about Emir var Emries he goes from full retard mode ( in books, not too good in previous games either) to somewhat mr nice guy

Last edited:
I feel like it was an attempt to introduce some more ambiguity into a decision that would otherwise have the vast majority of players siding with Nilfgaard. If Radovid hadn't turned into a gibbering genocidal maniac with no explanation, there wouldn't be many reasons at all to side with the Emperor (who killed off his own wife and mother in law and came THIS close to trying to marry and have a child with his own daughter).

I feel like it was an attempt to introduce some more ambiguity into a decision that would otherwise have the vast majority of players siding with Nilfgaard. If Radovid hadn't turned into a gibbering genocidal maniac with no explanation, there wouldn't be many reasons at all to side with the Emperor (who killed off his own wife and mother in law and came THIS close to trying to marry and have a child with his own daughter).

yeah but all the bad thing emhyr had done are never explained in the game for those who haven't read the books, Heralt can be a dick and at the end of the game he can even blame emhyr but the people the game never explained why.

Top Bottom