Anyone else struggling to enjoy Gwent?

+
Anyone else struggling to enjoy Gwent?

Was REALLY looking forward to it but, it doesn't feel like the Gwent I played in TW3. I appreciate it has to be balanced more etc etc but, I am finding it really boring, wheras in TW3 I still enjoy the game immensely. I don;t feel they captured the essence of TW3 Gwent with err..Gwent.

Am I alone in this?

Is it because you're playing against other people and don't win all the time? TW3 Gwent was extremely primitive and it's not fit to be a proper card game.

I have a different feeling. Having restarted TW3 in NG+ recently i find the old Gwent boring and repetitive (same old,play golds play spies and win).

Lenkorn;n6889800 said:
Was REALLY looking forward to it but, it doesn't feel like the Gwent I played in TW3. I appreciate it has to be balanced more etc etc but, I am finding it really boring, wheras in TW3 I still enjoy the game immensely. I don;t feel they captured the essence of TW3 Gwent with err..Gwent.

Am I alone in this?

from my point of view you are alone in this. for me this game is a breath of fresh air. especially after spending so much time playing the original gwent. don't get me wrong, i find old gwent amazing and still enjoyable but nothing beats when u play against real people. not to mention i enjoy the mechanics the guys developed.

I disagree i just got my key yesterday and have played for about10 hours and actually find this version far superior to the in game one . In game one looks extremely simplistic compared to the dynamic variety this offers

On the contrary, I love it much more than in Witcher 3. The play is lot more fluid, there are tons of interesting combinations of cards to play, the game is full of suspense, and it is poised to get much bigger and better.

Actually, I will agree with the OP. I miss the old cards and abilities. I don't mind playing other people and it being more difficult, I just don't feel like the hands flow like they should.

Sure, but I stopped playing and stopped having fun for different reasons. I spent $60, played till level 36 or something, and milled my entire Monster deck in order to play a good Scoia deck, but due to how expensive it is to actually make a viable deck i STILL can't. The game became one of unfulfilling victories and frustrating defeats as i was shoehorned into playing a buff deck which lived off blind gambles.

You are not alone*. Don't listen to people like Master_Kenobi who try to make you feel like you're the problem, and not the game. That attitude isn't good for anyone - not for you, not for him, and certainly not for the game and its developers. Note that SigilFey, the Moderator here, is actually interested in hearing what you have to say.

And note, that for all of my comments in the various threads, that I'm not someone who "hates" the game. If I actively dislike something, I'm certainly not going to waste my time on it - I'd have dropped the game from the first day. I can see the potential of the game, but it's still got a ways to go, and Yes-Men who say that everything's fine are a real problem, not the people who are pointing out their displeasure. So feel free to explain yourself in depth. The Devs may not agree with you... but they are listening.

* Note that each word in that first sentence is a link to a different thread complaining about the game and the brutal, un-fun newbie experience.

Nekojin;n6891100 said:
You are not alone*. Don't listen to people like Master_Kenobi who try to make you feel like you're the problem, and not the game. That attitude isn't good for anyone - not for you, not for him, and certainly not for the game and its developers. Note that SigilFey, the Moderator here, is actually interested in hearing what you have to say.

And note, that for all of my comments in the various threads, that I'm not someone who "hates" the game. If I actively dislike something, I'm certainly not going to waste my time on it - I'd have dropped the game from the first day. I can see the potential of the game, but it's still got a ways to go, and Yes-Men who say that everything's fine are a real problem, not the people who are pointing out their displeasure. So feel free to explain yourself in depth. The Devs may not agree with you... but they are listening.

* Note that each word in that first sentence is a link to a different thread complaining about the game and the brutal, un-fun newbie experience.

i thought this thread was about OP not feeling the essence of the original gwent in this version of gwent. i dont see any connection with the game being friendly or not friendly towards new players. i merely stated that i don't agree with op's opinion. switching the discussion in totally irrelevant direction makes no sense.

Master_Kenobi;n6891140 said:
i thought this thread was about OP not feeling the essence of the original gwent in this version of gwent. i dont see any connection with the game being friendly or not friendly towards new players. i merely stated that i don't agree with op's opinion. switching the discussion in totally irrelevant direction makes no sense.

Let's see. OP's title is about "Struggling to enjoy Gwent" and he comments that hes "finding it really boring". He then asks if he's alone in that.

Your first contribution to the thread was saying that you feel he IS alone - not that YOU enjoy it, but... well, I'll just quote your words here:
from my point of view you are alone in this.
You're not saying that you don't agree with him, you're saying that you don't think there's anyone else who feels like he does. It's only after dropping that bomb that you start talking about how great you think the game is.

You make a lot of assertions where you're projecting your opinion much more broadly than perhaps you intend. You might want to be more careful about your word choice.

GwentStefani;n6890810 said:
Sure, but I stopped playing and stopped having fun for different reasons. I spent $60, played till level 36 or something, and milled my entire Monster deck in order to play a good Scoia deck, but due to how expensive it is to actually make a viable deck i STILL can't.

Well, what I can say... I've spent nothing, played till level 60 or something, didn't mill anything besides extra cards, played every faction. I win over 50% with any of them unless I get stomped by Philippa card. And I have very few expensive gold cards. And somehow my decks are still viable despite being definitely cheaper than most of the decks I play against...

Maerd;n6889870 said:
Is it because you're playing against other people and don't win all the time? TW3 Gwent was extremely primitive and it's not fit to be a proper card game.

I agree that it was more primitive but disagree that because I am losing more, that is somehow reducing my enjoyment of the game. That has nothing to do with it for me.

--- Updated 06-11-16, 01:01 ---

SigilFey;n6890200 said:
There's no way everyone will like everything! What's different about it? What would you change?

That is true and I don't expect them to. As for what I would change, not sure on that, can't quite put my finger on it yet. It could be that we are not playing the full game atm, so perhaps things will change as CDPR begins fleshing it out. I am looking forward to campaign mode.

--- Updated 06-11-16, 01:03 ---

Gemslate;n6890620 said:
Actually, I will agree with the OP. I miss the old cards and abilities. I don't mind playing other people and it being more difficult, I just don't feel like the hands flow like they should.

Yeah, maybe that is it. As I said before, can't quite put my finger on it but, I raised this in a different thread so that could be it.

Last edited:
Maerd;n6891270 said:
Well, what I can say... I've spent nothing, played till level 60 or something, didn't mill anything besides extra cards, played every faction. I win over 50% with any of them unless I get stomped by Philippa card. And I have very few expensive gold cards. And somehow my decks are still viable despite being definitely cheaper than most of the decks I play against...
I guess "viable" wouldn't be the correct word, i'm definitely winning well above 50%-- Just that the playstyle which Scoia is forced into is unfulfilling and easy hard countered. And i'm not all that interested in the other Factions other than Skellige, which i don't think is all that fun with the existing pieces and i'm unwilling to invest while so deep in investment with Scoia.

Nekojin;n6891100 said:

Thanks for this. I'll check those other posts and try to define what it is that I am not enjoying about the game. I think all points you raised in this discussion so far, have been on point and, I thank you for your support.

I'm not. Three big reasons for that:
- Got bored with the video game I was playing up until Gwent's beta came out and the only other game I'm interested in this year won't come out until December.
- Loved physical card games like this growing up, but haven't been able to play any of them for years since most of the people I know grew out of them in our early teens.
- This version of Gwent seems similar to some of those card games, but with an aesthetic feel similar to some of my favorite hack-n-slash games.

I might be bored with the game by the time the full/final version rolls around, but for now I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Lenkorn;n6889800 said:

Am I alone in this?

Not sure I understand your attempt at providing useful feedback. It sounds like you'd prefer to see a lot of overpowered cards?

I found the original TW3 Gwent very bland, so I played the Deluxe Gwent Mod, and this official Gwent is basically the mod on steroids so I'm happy with it so far. More mechanics, more cards, better gameplay.

Last edited:
Nekojin;n6891230 said:
Let's see. OP's title is about "Struggling to enjoy Gwent" and he comments that hes "finding it really boring". He then asks if he's alone in that.

Your first contribution to the thread was saying that you feel he IS alone - not that YOU enjoy it, but... well, I'll just quote your words here:

You're not saying that you don't agree with him, you're saying that you don't think there's anyone else who feels like he does. It's only after dropping that bomb that you start talking about how great you think the game is.

You make a lot of assertions where you're projecting your opinion much more broadly than perhaps you intend. You might want to be more careful about your word choice.

well i must say this is the most ridiculous explanation i've ever seen. i even clarified what i wanted to say in my 2nd post if i was misunderstood and apparently i was.
Master_Kenobi;n6891140 said:
i merely stated that i don't agree with op's opinion.

Top Bottom