Anyone knows if the witcher 3 will support oculus rift compatibility since latest card have that option integrated already?

+

Tuchi

Forum veteran
Anyone knows if the witcher 3 will support oculus rift compatibility since latest card have that option integrated already?

also if anyone already tryed the early build of that things does it have scalable resolutions? like monitors, since it's on pc only i undrsteand

If Oculus Rift didn't already cause puking I imagine pirouetting Geralt in OR definitely would.

So no thanks, I don't want to have to constantly stop playing to clean the house.

(Nevermind OR is for first person views, and may never actually hit the market anyway).

I don't see OR working that well in a third person game with acrobatic combat. OR has been effective in first-person games where player motion is well enough constrained that sim sickness isn't a problem, and third-person where the field is more or less fixed.

Compatibility isn't the key; playability is. Even if the technical issues are a solved problem, it doesn't make OR practical or desirable for this game. If you want to see sim sickness in action, just take advantage of the compatibility and see how long you last.

Tuchi

Forum veteran
I don't see OR working that well in a third person game with acrobatic combat. OR has been effective in first-person games where player motion is well enough constrained that sim sickness isn't a problem, and third-person where the field is more or less fixed.

Compatibility isn't the key; playability is. Even if the technical issues are a solved problem, it doesn't make OR practical or desirable for this game. If you want to see sim sickness in action, just take advantage of the compatibility and see how long you last.

i was asking just becouse i haden't had the chance to try the thing anyway, on paper sounds awesome but i really don't know what is the experience in reality

Scarily real apparently. To be honest I think that any game making use of the Oculus will need to be developed ground up with that tech in mind, and advertised as such. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a big firm working on one right now. Personally I think a superhero game could really showcase the Occulus, one minute running through a city, leaping obstacles and perhaps even qte combat like Arkham and then soaring into the air as you will. Be impressive I think.

What Oculus Rift needs for a good - a 'VR' experience:
90-95+ fps
1080-1440p resolution PER EYE
Low-latency(literally every visual effects only adds latency, even things as small as FXAA)
Highly increased FOV that simulates your cone of vision

^These things are barely possible today on a single monitor, let alone per eye. Anything less and it will make you sick or destroy the VR experience etc.

These things aren't very compatible with your modern AAA titles, so the chances of demanding titles support Oculus is pretty much close to NIL.

Last edited:

Tuchi

Forum veteran
What Oculus Rift needs for a good - a 'VR' experience:
90-95+ fps
1080-1440p resolution PER EYE
Low-latency(literally every visual effects only adds latency, even things as small as FXAA)
Highly increased FOV that simulates your cone of vision

^These things are barely possible today on a single monitor, let alone per eye. Anything less and it will make you sick or destroy the VR experience etc.

These things aren't very compatible with your modern AAA titles, so the chances of demanding titles support Oculus is pretty much close to NIL.

damn....now i'm sad. i was exited by the recent news on that gizmo...too bad

Yep, I don't think we are going to ever see OR as originally kickstarted, not that the company cares about that anymore anyway. I've been keeping an eye on development and there has been basically nothing but setbacks in that regard. Its prototypes have scaling issues for widespread manufacturing particularly the screens, Facebooks 2 billion arrived shortly after this info was made public, and yet we haven't heard any progress. The motion sickness issue was voluntarily embargoed - from goodwill - among the tech community for ages, but now seems to be the systems Achilles heel, and FB turning the focus towards uses other than gaming seems to confirm that the idea of it as a gaming platform is basically dead.

Add to that the impending bubble burst - it's inevitable now with the outrageous investment sums being blown on unprofitable startups- and this bizarre happening that may be kosher but is strangely reminiscent of other weird investor behaviour prior to previous poppings, leads me to have zero faith in OR ever making the market.

And to be honest I'm glad, wearing a big heavy goggle on your face is the worst way of doing VR, thanks. Throw all that money into a holodeck, please ;)

Yep, I don't think we are going to ever see OR as originally kickstarted, not that the company cares about that anymore anyway. I've been keeping an eye on development and there has been basically nothing but setbacks in that regard. Its prototypes have scaling issues for widespread manufacturing particularly the screens, Facebooks 2 billion arrived shortly after this info was made public, and yet we haven't heard any progress. The motion sickness issue was voluntarily embargoed - from goodwill - among the tech community for ages, but now seems to be the systems Achilles heel, and FB turning the focus towards uses other than gaming seems to confirm that the idea of it as a gaming platform is basically dead.

Add to that the impending bubble burst - it's inevitable now with the outrageous investment sums being blown on unprofitable startups- and this bizarre happening that may be kosher but is strangely reminiscent of other weird investor behaviour prior to previous poppings, leads me to have zero faith in OR ever making the market.

And to be honest I'm glad, wearing a big heavy goggle on your face is the worst way of doing VR, thanks. Throw all that money into a holodeck, please ;)

"For them, the much greater risk is of missing out on the next big thing." Good summing up of the reason for throwing nine and ten-figure investments at vaporware.

You're so right it bears repeating: the greatest insanity precedes the bursting of the bubble, and a badge of that insanity is the investment of great sums in speculations that are unsupported by any advance the principals can describe.

Light fields?

Light fields?

I know, sounds wonderful, although all the substantial info you'll find is those patents, and lets be honest they don't say much, and filing them was a fraction of the investment pot ;)

I get the feeling they invited some chequebooks to a cut-down presentation of Minority Report, filled them with blue coffee beans, said "look that 3d tech, Spielberg said it'll be just another few years from now, better invest quick !".

I wouldn't fall for that sort of stuff... they'd need to buzzword "hard light" too before I'd get so excited ;)

Light fields?

Well now, it would appear that "Light Fields" is to be redefined to mean digital graphics overlay on actual view via goggle screens, I didn't realise "Augmented Reality" was being deprecated as nomenclature already,

While it certainly seems to me this startup misrepresented itself originally, this video looks impressive, but don't we all accept you can't simply believe what you see these days on a screen, and isn't it blatantly obvious the video is of a design mockup not of actual tech, and I'm struggling to see what exactly its unique offering is. Doesn't help confidence when the companymen are clearly playing silly buggers.

This week Facebook also released some info regarding OR and their social networking plans <snoozeworthy>, the only really remarkable thing in this ongoing techdream saga is how no one mentions of fairly obvious dropping of OR as a gaming platform. ;)

Top Bottom