Anyone run here?

+
Anyone run here?

I recently started running again after a 20+ year hiatus (apart from jog-trotting when late and walking). I've not been totally sedentary; some cycling on and off - though despite a recent renovation of my bike not too much recently; more walking - mostly brisk (4.5-5mph (7.2-8km/h)) and some long distances (20-40 miles in a day).... but I have certainly lost something from my ability to run comfortably.

My legs want to run much faster than I can manage within my heart rate maximum... though I am well within my ability to breathe and talk when sustaining this effort for 20+ minutes. (Which seems odd... as I definitely cannot when making the same "effort" on the bike).

Done two parkruns so far ~ 5km timed 'fun' runs and seen a noticeable improvement in comfort and pace on the second, even though I also had a higher average and maximum HR.

Just wondered whether we had many other runners on the boards?

I walk just to get outside and moving. Try to walk at least 30 minutes 5x a week, along with 30 minutes of stretching/push-ups/sit-ups/whatever I feel I wanna do that day. I have issues with asthma, so I don't push myself very hard. Excuses, excuses...

I started running a couple of weeks ago. I tried several times before, but never managed to get into it - it was just boring as hell to me, music or no.

Then a friend of mine recommended Zombies, Run! to kickstart my efforts. It's basically an interactive audio book - Zombie apocalypse, you're a survivor and have to leave camp and run for various reasons - with a game-y meta-layer - base building, keep the camp happy and safe, etc. What I heard so far (mostly missions from the Zombies 5k spinoff, as I'm still working on getting some basic stamina and accustomising to running before starting the actual "Story Mode") is well-written (for what it is, anyway. Obviously no literature Nobel prize material) and of good VA and audio design quality. It also comes with much of the typical running app stuff: interval training, GPS tracking, timing, pace tracking, calories burned, achievements etc.
It really got me engaged for the first couple of runs and since then I started noticing progress and getting better is now my main motivation and I'm really enjoying running now. One of the cases where gamification worked like a charm for me!

It's hard to say where I stand exactly, as the workouts of the 5k Training are predetermined and involve walking, running and a couple of exercises. My last of these runs though was 7.5km in about 55min. With pure running, I would probably be quite a bit faster, but wouldn't be able to keep it up for 55min either. So, as I said, no idea what my actual ability is right now. But I'm making progress, week by week there's more running and less walking in these trainings and I can feel how running becomes a natural thing - and that feels fantastic!

Last year I could do 10km runs in 52 minutes, and I participated in the 2013 Dead Sea Marathon and finished it in 56 minutes (there were so many uphill sections :p ), but nothing beats running next to the Dead Sea.

However, I have been taking it easy on the running this past year, been doing 5 km runs max, once or twice a week, because I am focusing on bodybuilding stuff right now.

I find it amazing how the human body can quickly adapt to running, when I first started I couldn't even run half a kilometre, 2 months later, I could run 5 kilometres (keep in mind I am nearly 18 years old myself, so take my words with a grain of salt), but it needs a bit of consistency and patience and slowly increasing the intensity and duration every time when you do the running, absolutely amazing.

Did enough of that shit with a 60lb Bergen on, try to avoid running as much as fucking possible since then, and me metal knee dunt like it. Like a good long tab though, good moorlands round where I live, I think that's why i'm not enamoured by hiking simulators like Skyrim, as I prefer the fresh air and exercise.

Thank you for pointing this out !
I've been running without any special motivation so far, this'll make it more interesting ~

You're very welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

Last year I could do 10km runs in 52 minutes, and I participated in the 2013 Dead Sea Marathon and finished it in 56 minutes (there were so many uphill sections :p ), but nothing beats running next to the Dead Sea.

However, I have been taking it easy on the running this past year, been doing 5 km runs max, once or twice a week, because I am focusing on bodybuilding stuff right now.

I find it amazing how the human body can quickly adapt to running, when I first started I couldn't even run half a kilometre, 2 months later, I could run 5 kilometres (keep in mind I am nearly 18 years old myself, so take my words with a grain of salt), but it needs a bit of consistency and patience and slowly increasing the intensity and duration every time when you do the running, absolutely amazing.

I didn't think it was possible to be unfit enough to not be able to run half a kilometre, unless you're impaired in some way. :wat: I mean, you'll get that much just with the ordinary outdoor activities as a kid, don't you? Even without that - it's barely more than once around a football pitch! No offence meant, and as you've overcome that state I hope none was taken. I'm just really surprised. But then again, I never really had any prolonged periods without any sport at all, normally no endurance sports, but most of the time I did some form of sports anyway.

You're right though. The adaptability of the human body is amazing. And experiencing that transformation in your own body even more so.

Also, that glorious feeling of exhaustion and achievement after sports! :victory:

I didn't think it was possible to be unfit enough to not be able to run half a kilometre, unless you're impaired in some way.

Also, that glorious feeling of exhaustion and achievement after sports! :victory:

My ex is (by choice and habituation) incapable of running more than a few yards at a time... (Though I have my suspicion that this might change if there was ever a reason to *want to*. ... though then habituation will strongly limit what they can accomplish. Annoyingly though they similarly limit the confidence/aspirations of my daughter. Apparently there is "no way she could ever run 5km with me" (at her pace, obviously ~ I'd not bother timing that run), as it is "far too far for a young person to run". (Ignoring that the world record pace for her age is faster than I manage...)

Neither are horribly unfit ~ they walk wherever they go - as I walk or cycle, but that is no strong framework for being able to sustain running at a 'faster than walking' pace. Nor the aspiration or motivation to attempt it.

I didn't think it was possible to be unfit enough to not be able to run half a kilometre, unless you're impaired in some way. :wat: I mean, you'll get that much just with the ordinary outdoor activities as a kid, don't you? Even without that - it's barely more than once around a football pitch! No offence meant, and as you've overcome that state I hope none was taken. I'm just really surprised. But then again, I never really had any prolonged periods without any sport at all, normally no endurance sports, but most of the time I did some form of sports anyway.

You're right though. The adaptability of the human body is amazing. And experiencing that transformation in your own body even more so.

I weighed 100 kilos during that time, that is why I couldn't run that much, now 3 and a half years half passed and I am 75 kilos now (with a lot of added muscle mass :))

You may be surprised, people can be THAT unfit, it may be surprising to some europeans who use bicycles to travel in cities, but in some areas of the world, that is impossible because of poor city traffic control, so yes, people can be that unfit, and I am glad I am not in that physical condition anymore.

And like @Lieste said, Endurance running is very different than Interval running like in a football pitch for example, it requires a different kind of training and motivation.

Last edited:
I interval run for 10-15 cycles of 20/40s. That's... "fun". Will be endurance running again soon. Mostly avoid it - cuts into the muscle mass development.

I always run. Why walk when you can run. When I saw Forrest Gump, I was like wtf they made a movie about me.

I always run. Why walk when you can run. When I saw Forrest Gump, I was like wtf they made a movie about me.

I can run 'around' 10-15km (based on what I used to do ~ have some recovery of form to go yet before I am comfortably back there...)
I can walk *at least* 53km in a day. (Visited friends in next city across for BBQ ~ walked both ways along footpaths and lanes).

Neither is nearly as efficient as cycling ~ where I can easily cover over 220km in a day, but they are more 'convenient' for local getting about ~ and it is nice to be able to perform without 'equipment'.

This is partly speed dependent, but there is a sustainability element - I 'can' run for around an hour and a half or just over, walk for around 8 hours, or cycle for up to 12 hours. I just find running limits my range too much compared to the alternatives (and it is slower than cycling if I need to be a long way away, fast).

I love running but I injured my ankle a few weeks ago and now I need to save up money to buy myself some running shoes to support my ankle properly so I don't make it any worse. Ugh I miss running so much

I love running but I injured my ankle a few weeks ago and now I need to save up money to buy myself some running shoes to support my ankle properly so I don't make it any worse. Ugh I miss running so much

Hope you'll feel better, and recover as quickly as possible...I know how it feels, i have 3 orthopedic shoes because of the flat foot, before i got them i would always sprain my ankle...now my leg is getting fixed, and i can do my activity with no pain.

I probably ought to get around to buying some new shoes... not a task I enjoy at all though.

Wide feet, of a small size are not "a thing" to shoe manufacturers... There is only *one* street/office/school shoe available in an 'acceptable' (though wrong) fit in my whole city - out of dozens of stores... I did manage to find something tolerable for cycling in (and was lucky that is was a fairly neutral style/colour)... but I'm dreading looking for new 'trainers'/'running shoes' - though it is due... my current ones I bought when I was 20.

I've had a few pairs of handmade shoes over the years, and they last many times better than store bought... but don't know of anyone making affordable-ish technical shoes.

I probably ought to get around to buying some new shoes... not a task I enjoy at all though.

Wide feet, of a small size are not "a thing" to shoe manufacturers... There is only *one* street/office/school shoe available in an 'acceptable' (though wrong) fit in my whole city - out of dozens of stores... I did manage to find something tolerable for cycling in (and was lucky that is was a fairly neutral style/colour)... but I'm dreading looking for new 'trainers'/'running shoes' - though it is due... my current ones I bought when I was 20.

I've had a few pairs of handmade shoes over the years, and they last many times better than store bought... but don't know of anyone making affordable-ish technical shoes.

Well then...good luck finding the right one

Top Bottom