Anyone thinking Cyberpunk would be better game without rpg elements

+
The true issue with the RPG elements, the leveling and stuff is that there are some weird restrictions in place that aren't needed.
I think it would be a better experience if one is more free tho customize and combine various items and.

Inventory management is not a problem so long as you can style and combine what you want.
Examples:
- Why can't I use certain mods on certain clothing or weapons.
- Why can I only ever craft one rarity of a mods based on my crafting perk? specifically when that works in conjunction with higherrarity mods not working on lower rarity clothing.--> Change it to where a given crafting level unlocks an ADDITIONAL rarity to craft.
Case in point: I still run arund with the occasional common shirt because I like its style, but IF I can mod it, itsliteraaly impossible because I cant craft any mods for that rarity (only legendary)
- Allow clothing pieces to become viable to another rarity once its upgraded to a certain level
case in point: want to wear your original Nomad outfit while out in the badlands? You can upgrade its durability, but it'll always be a common piece of tra..peep. The same thing applies to any other randm piece you might favor for your character.
- Partially revert the mod slot mechanic. I actually preferred how higher rarity clothing could have more mod slots than lower rarity clothing. It doesn't have to be completely as from before 1.5, but something in between would be nice.
- Ability to categorize wepons or clothing of the same type and ranked by level and rarity, and allow a way to have the highest level+rarity version 'consume' the lesser variants. This could perhaps be a method that also adds an effect of 'upgrading', like for instance transferring associated mods to the 'best' piece of equipment.

And i just thought without levels it would more be like shadowrun.
I tried running some cyberpunk missions in shadowrun thinking they were nearly the same and the two worlds are just completely different and do not mix very well at all, not just the races but the technology they use and style of game.

I tried running some cyberpunk missions in shadowrun thinking they were nearly the same and the two worlds are just completely different and do not mix very well at all, not just the races but the technology they use and style of game.
Sure thing they are very different but i meant the feature of no levels, meaning that the chars durability is not enhancing by game experience. The very same pistol that could kill a char at creation could kill it after playing it 2 years irl.

No, it wouldn't be better, would be different for sure. You didn't specify exactly what RPG you would like to see erased. Those in first post are not (c)RPG elements per se, they're more game economy and character progression element (in terms of strength, abilities or accumulated wealth) you can see in pretty much every game regardless of genre.Even aforementioned Disco Elysium have skill tree (and hence some character progression, decisions & consequences) despite not having a one iota of combat system.

And they're not particularly good nor balanced and that's probably the main problem, but no a reason why they should be removed.

CDPR supposed to release an Online version of CP2077 which probably would satisfy those who like to just shoot & loot. Also it would allow to have a larger freedom vide GTA5 online where you can literally gather few friends and play a real RPG session where you're only limited by your imagination and to some degree by the games mechanics.

Dunno, I see demand for CP2077 devoid of (c) RPG elements as someone demanding a Call of Duty with only zombie mod and I have some friends who solely bought CoD for this mode so, maybe it would sell but I know for sure that I wouldn't buy it.

Currently I regret buying collectors edition of CP2077 because it is nowhere near being what has been advertised for past 9(?) years. Game with less elements (c)RPG elements (like there are a lot of them to begin with...) and closer to be similar to hack&slash or looter&shooter game without stats, which would basically turn this game into futuristic arcade version of BattleField with hack wouldn't cut it for me. It would be another boring clone of a game where you do pew pew + little of variety in terms of different guns & hacks. In other words - It would be another game of the same type with different skin, pretty but hollow.

I'm purposely avoid touching story, dialogue and quest because game is linear as it can be, yeah, you have different ending, but the path to them is almost ideantical in terms of story... you cannot side with corpos for espionage to undermine Arasaka (or start 5th corpo war...), you cannot side with nomads apart from Panam's quests, you cannot join rockerboys apart from getting just a few quest from Kerry if you didn't missed on his arc in the first place like I did in my first play-through lol.

Even gangs wars (and they're mentioned even in game intro each time when you run it lol) doesn't exist. None of them fight with each other to gain control over streets of Night City.

So... I would even dare to say that you cannot remove (c)RPG elements from the game that doesn't have to much of them in the first place.

No, I do not think the game would have been better off removing the various game systems listed.

Yes, I do think it would have been better off streamlining and adding further depth to those game systems.

Eventually adding more options becomes counter-productive by creating unneeded complexity and effort to ensure everything works well. The end result tends to be bloat, reduced quality and in severe cases cumbersome gameplay. In a nutshell, quality over quantity.

No, it wouldn't be better, would be different for sure. You didn't specify exactly what RPG you would like to see erased. Those in first post are not (c)RPG elements per se, they're more game economy and character progression element (in terms of strength, abilities or accumulated wealth) you can see in pretty much every game regardless of genre.Even aforementioned Disco Elysium have skill tree (and hence some character progression, decisions & consequences) despite not having a one iota of combat system.

And they're not particularly good nor balanced and that's probably the main problem, but no a reason why they should be removed.

CDPR supposed to release an Online version of CP2077 which probably would satisfy those who like to just shoot & loot. Also it would allow to have a larger freedom vide GTA5 online where you can literally gather few friends and play a real RPG session where you're only limited by your imagination and to some degree by the games mechanics.

Dunno, I see demand for CP2077 devoid of (c) RPG elements as someone demanding a Call of Duty with only zombie mod and I have some friends who solely bought CoD for this mode so, maybe it would sell but I know for sure that I wouldn't buy it.

Currently I regret buying collectors edition of CP2077 because it is nowhere near being what has been advertised for past 9(?) years. Game with less elements (c)RPG elements (like there are a lot of them to begin with...) and closer to be similar to hack&slash or looter&shooter game without stats, which would basically turn this game into futuristic arcade version of BattleField with hack wouldn't cut it for me. It would be another boring clone of a game where you do pew pew + little of variety in terms of different guns & hacks. In other words - It would be another game of the same type with different skin, pretty but hollow.

I'm purposely avoid touching story, dialogue and quest because game is linear as it can be, yeah, you have different ending, but the path to them is almost ideantical in terms of story... you cannot side with corpos for espionage to undermine Arasaka (or start 5th corpo war...), you cannot side with nomads apart from Panam's quests, you cannot join rockerboys apart from getting just a few quest from Kerry if you didn't missed on his arc in the first place like I did in my first play-through lol.

Even gangs wars (and they're mentioned even in game intro each time when you run it lol) doesn't exist. None of them fight with each other to gain control over streets of Night City.

So... I would even dare to say that you cannot remove (c)RPG elements from the game that doesn't have to much of them in the first place.
Almost exactly like larger, open world Deus Ex.
- No +3-5% stats/perks/weapon mods "gain": only buy implants to customize your playstyle
- No senseless looting every two minutes to "upgrade" from 36.4 to 39.8 Armor, or same with weapon mods and DPS.
- Enemies with grounded stats ( it's incredibly stupid when high level trash mobs have thousands of HP, like this cartoon power fantasy similar to WoW/Borderlands)
- World fully open to explore ( without levelled enemies and scaling), equip any gear without any "level restrictions", better and more logical difficulty and economy
People are misreading what I'm saying here. I want to see more rpg elements, and with actual sense of impact: active abilities, perks that open different ways to interact with the world, large passive bonuses, etc ( not +3/5/10% resistance to enemy wet farts).
But currently, CDPR does them poorly and they negatively impact almost every major aspect of the game.

This would have been a better game with the proper RPG elements from the Table Top version along with the roles from it if this was a more open ended and not a story driven game. It seems to me that CDPR had a vision for V and kind of shoehorned us into playing either a netrunner(Hacker) or Solo(mercenary) and focused the stats and skills around those two roles from the Table Top version. Hell, the stat COOL is completely wrong in this so I've always wondered how much influence Mike Pondsmith even had in making this.

Forum regular
i will answer with question :) would be fallout better game without RPG elemets?

No stats. No skills. No perks. No crafting. No loot ( or working similar to Deus Ex). Clothing only used for customizing appearance.
Most of these only give you shallow, dull 3-10% passive bonuses that add little to nothing to actually modifying gameplay in a meaningful way or changing your interaction with the world.
Like in Deus Ex, you'd simply buy all implants as way of modifying your playstyle.
Without levelled loot, world would be much more open to explore and difficulty more fair and consistent.
In game Economy would also be more logical and balanced.
Protection would come from dermal implants, or from wearing body armor with durability factor ( like in Far Cry games or other FPS).
Less pointless tedium of inventory management, more enjoyable experience focused on completing quests than looting and spending time in ingame menus.
Environment design would be "more clean" and immersive, without loot icons distracting the player and objects often placed without any logic ( by trying to mimic "looter games).
World would be more immersive without illogical restrictions ( equipment "levels" restrictions, bulletsponge enemies with skull icons).
And instead, rpg team could be replaced with open world content creators who would add activities and interaction with the world.
And overall, people would have lower/more accurate expectations: lot of disappointment comes from far higher expectations on rpg aspects than was the case Witcher ( which was just as poor, but by design far more limited in it).
I'm a huge rpg fan and I'd always prefer good rpg over great action game: but in CDPR's case, I think their rpg team does their games far more harm than good and has overall net negative impact on quality of their games.
You must be a call of duty fan, like my older brother. He says what is so fantastic about it (although he agrees combat is awesome) he doesn’t see the appeal that rpg elements immerse a player in.

What was I thinking tonight...

Will my 24 year old car survive before I die?
Is Amazon getting pulled down by their horrible 3rd party sellers?
Should I have listened to my parents and got a government job instead of going into the private sector?
How much Anime watching is too much and is it ok as long as I am still learning Japanese?
Is game modding the way I knew it really dead.
Will the AI that takes over the world get mad at humans when if discovers the old videos of Battlebots?
Nahhhh, nothing about how CP2077 should not try to have an RPG angle. :shrug:

Almost exactly like larger, open world Deus Ex.
- No +3-5% stats/perks/weapon mods "gain": only buy implants to customize your playstyle
- No senseless looting every two minutes to "upgrade" from 36.4 to 39.8 Armor, or same with weapon mods and DPS.
- Enemies with grounded stats ( it's incredibly stupid when high level trash mobs have thousands of HP, like this cartoon power fantasy similar to WoW/Borderlands)
- World fully open to explore ( without levelled enemies and scaling), equip any gear without any "level restrictions", better and more logical difficulty and economy
People are misreading what I'm saying here. I want to see more rpg elements, and with actual sense of impact: active abilities, perks that open different ways to interact with the world, large passive bonuses, etc ( not +3/5/10% resistance to enemy wet farts).
But currently, CDPR does them poorly and they negatively impact almost every major aspect of the game.
I see what you're saying. I would prefer more refined and proper rpg elements as well, but CDPR was more concerned with telling a story than making an RPG. They made a decent action game though.. so it makes sense to say 'just put this thing out of it's misery'.

I thought the designers had phoned it in the whole time and then shoe-horned in the looter shooter stuff to cut corners - makes sense begrudgingly when you consider they planned to make a separate multiplayer game. "Just push it online and ship it" is what I had imagined was the way a fateful meeting ended. Not quite the case allegedly.

There were weaknesses and strengths to each of the factions, and your life path had an effect on combat - at least according to the mod author behind Life Path Bonuses and Gang Corpo Traits. His mod pushed the always online shooter crap out of the way so these stats, which made engaging the different mobs interesting, rise to the top... I guess at some point a new Gameplay Director or Lead came in, played the Division or Borderlands, and said "yeah...let's do this instead" It's unfortunate if you play on console, even more unfortunate for people who have been bamboozled into thinking levels and dialogue options makes a game an RPG, but if you're on PC; that's a must have mod.

I guess at some point a new Gameplay Director or Lead came in, played the Division or Borderlands, and said "yeah...let's do this instead" It's unfortunate if you play on console, even more unfortunate for people who have been bamboozled into thinking levels and dialogue options makes a game an RPG, but if you're on PC; that's a must have mod.

...what is 'bamboozled '?
...and are you seriously comparing CP77 to borderlands?

...what is 'bamboozled '?
Tricked. A lot of games have billed themselves as being an RPG because they have player options for dialogue. Granted CRPG and RPG are different things of course. Having a range of outcomes based on player choices is an expectation for CRPGs but that alone isn't what would make a game an RPG. I'm just splitting hairs really. You can find a bottomless pit on youtube of people arguing about what an RPG/CRPG is, having never played Baldur's Gate, Cyberpunk 2020, and so on.
...and are you seriously comparing CP77 to borderlands?
Borderlands specifically? No. I can't really say anything to that title as I've never played. I would compare the crafting and loot to the Division at best. The Division did both better and it makes sense in that game. Here it's just awful. Same goes for emphasizing DPS over faction strength/weakness.

No! This game does not need less RPG elements but much more RPG elements. It would be more fun, if it would use the rules of the original TRPG.

Top Bottom