Appreciation For Story Continuity from CP2020

+
Despite the rant I just posted over on the Gameplay Forum, I wanted to show my appreciation for Mike Pondsmith, the writing team, and the fact that many of the things that take place in the main storyline are carried over from the plots in CP2020. Many of the players of this game will not know where some of the backstory comes from unless they read the CP2020 lore but for those of us that have, this game was a joy. There are so MANY details and Easter Eggs that 90% of the people might miss that I'm on my third full playthrough just to try and see what I might have missed. Every time I see another tidbit that connects to the CP2020 plot, I smile a little smile and think about that game and the good times I had playing it.

This was one of the reasons I loved the game so much. So many aspects of the game are straight from the 2020 sourcebook, even starting with the character creation screen. It's a shame more folks didn't read the (now free) PDF instead of assuming Cyberpunk would be a GTA clone.

Despite the rant I just posted over on the Gameplay Forum, I wanted to show my appreciation for Mike Pondsmith, the writing team, and the fact that many of the things that take place in the main storyline are carried over from the plots in CP2020. Many of the players of this game will not know where some of the backstory comes from unless they read the CP2020 lore but for those of us that have, this game was a joy. There are so MANY details and Easter Eggs that 90% of the people might miss that I'm on my third full playthrough just to try and see what I might have missed. Every time I see another tidbit that connects to the CP2020 plot, I smile a little smile and think about that game and the good times I had playing it.
What continuity? :) It's barely there. Almost every single event from Cyberpunk 2020 storyline was altered or outright retconned. Just to mention the whole main plot basis - Johnny. He was a stowaway on Morgan Blackhand led operation, not a "guy in charge", he had no idea about nuke, let alone been given it by the powers that be. the whole op was a military operation, with edgerunners used as "consultants". Johnny died torn into literal pieces by Smasher, not taken away half conscious by Arasaka. There was no time for that for the mini nuke went of minutes later, just as the survivors were leaving the scene and Smasher was trading blows and bullets with Blackhand.
There are names, places, events but with every single one of them there's something wrong. Wrong with regard to CP2020. The game still holds it's own as it's own story, set in vastly alternative universe.
Also, it's worth to mention that Cyberpunk Red, which is supposed to be a bridge between 2077 and 2020 takes more from 2077 and retcons CP2020 even more, to the point that my 1000$ worth library of oficial 2020 materials is now "noncanon" :)

Top Bottom