Are AMD users left high and dry?

+
"W3 is over the top ambicious project and ppl from NV actually helped a lot."

"but business model doesn't run on our ideas, they went Nvidia path because Nvidia offered the complete solution for their needs"

Both excellent points. Also, remember that this game has been built and promoted on the stringiest of shoestrings. I remember original budget was some $7 million R&D, and $35 million promotion, promotion costs to be borne by distributors. They're probably over budget by now, two big delays will do that to you. But it would cost ten times that for an EA to pull it off. You could not get this game for, what, $48 or $60 if they did not cut expenses hard and deep everywhere they could instead of dumbing down content and gameplay and vision to attract the largest possible market.

This means building and using relationships with technical and distribution partners who meet your needs, no matter what fans who feel left out think.

Last edited:
Exactly. Some people forget that CDPR is not a big studio with infinite budget. I think they've always made best of what they have with limited resources and it wasn't a lot more than passion, creativity and ambition. NV gave technological support. At one of the videos i've made a pause and watched closely at the titles on a bookshelf at CDPR studio. Those ppl are LEARNING and they are evolving and get better and better to give us the best gaming experience that's possible. kudos to nv for aiding in that process.

TW3 is a Nvidia Gameworks game. Can We expect a crappy performance on AMD Videocards?

Straight to the point : All most recent games that was on Nvidia Gameworks (Far Cry 4, AC: Unity, Dying Light, among others) ran flawllesly on NVIDIA cards and like crap on AMD video cards. Can we expect that on The Witcher 3, or CDPR made a good optimization for both Nvidia and AMD and we do not have to worry about it? As a AMD user on both CPU and GPU hardware i'd like to know that.

All most recent games that was on Nvidia Gameworks (Far Cry 4, AC: Unity, Dying Light, among others) ran flawllesly on NVIDIA cards

In what world do you live and how can I get there because all those games ran like absolute piss on high end Nvidia cards. Of course they also ran like piss on AMD cards.

In what world do you live and how can I get there because all those games ran like absolute piss on high end Nvidia cards. Of course they also ran like piss on AMD cards.

They ran much better on Nvidia cars than on AMD cards and that is a fact. Just look for benchmarks on the web and you'll see the difference.

Well nobody can really tell you that before the 19th

The only real card we know is the GTX 980 wich gets 60fps on Ultra
everything else is unknown or pure speculation.

The Witcher 1 and 2 ran fine on my AMD i had back then.. so that could be a sign that CDPR does optimizes AMD as well.

Hi.

Is there a list of "NV only" effects used in this game?

Hairworks is ok but whats with the other PhysX effects? Demolition, water, cloth, particles? Which will be used and need a very good CPU for AMD or will not shown at all? And how much impact will it have on the overall visuals?

I have pre ordered it on gog but i hate the bad communication about the "AMD side" of the game. Only one "NV commercial" after the other but no word about AMD as far as i have seen. Or have i missed something?

Greetings

Nvidia's site lists these below, nothing seems to be Nvidia only, some of them will be PC only.
SLI
DirectX 11
PhysX - not sure if this is PC only as this affects material like cloth and destruction (I have a feeling this will also be on consoles)
HBAO+ - Love that this is in, haven't seen it in the footage. some of the grass needs this effect.
HairWorks - PC only. Still have to see how it hits performance. Youtubers got an older build without drivers
DSR

Hi.

Is there a list of "NV only" effects used in this game?

Hairworks is ok but whats with the other PhysX effects? Demolition, water, cloth, particles? Which will be used and need a very good CPU for AMD or will not shown at all? And how much impact will it have on the overall visuals?

I have pre ordered it on gog but i hate the bad communication about the "AMD side" of the game. Only one "NV commercial" after the other but no word about AMD as far as i have seen. Or have i missed something?

Greetings

There is nothing that's totally exclusive to Nvidia in this game, APEX Clothing/Destruction works fine on CPU and they are not that demanding. I think Batman games also use APEX Clothing. PhysX also work fine on CPU and after PhysX 3.3x update the performance has been greatly optimized on CPUs. Metro Redux is a good example of PhysX 3.3 however TW3 most probably have more heavier use of PhysX so your CPU should be between minimum i5 2500k and recommended i7 3770 (including AMD equivalents) to have good performance.

Have only original Metro 2033 so i havent seen PhysX 3.3 in action until W3 will launch. ;)

Got an watercooled and slightly overclocked i5 4670k so this should be ok i hope.

Good to hear this. Feared it will be worse. After seeing games like Mafia 2 (cloth sim, particles) or Batman (smoke/fog) i would not be surprised if they tone down or delete some effects for the CPU.

Metro Redux is one hell of an achievement... damn... 4A Games are techpriersts....

Yes, its PhysX works just FINE on my old i5 750 :)

I've always used Nvidia cards, and I am going to play the Witcher 3 on an Nvidia card.

The animal fur looks better with hairworks, but I dislike the way Geralt's hair and beard look with the hairworks enabled. The beard looks darker, and the hair looks unnaturally silky and does not react as well as regular hair to the wind. I think Geralt's hair looks and moves better with hairworks off, and also the performance hit is not worth it for the animals.
So I'm gonna have hairworks off unless something dramatically changes until release.
Bu I've always liked PhysX, so Hairworks off and PhysX on for me.

I've always used Nvidia cards, and I am going to play the Witcher 3 on an Nvidia card.

The animal fur looks better with hairworks, but I dislike the way Geralt's hair and beard look with the hairworks enabled. The beard looks darker, and the hair looks unnaturally silky and does not react as well as regular hair to the wind. I think Geralt's hair looks and moves better with hairworks off, and also the performance hit is not worth it for the animals.
So I'm gonna have hairworks off unless something dramatically changes until release.
Yep, if I had a PC that's how I would roll too ;)

I totally agree with you, I like the fact that it seems to react more with environment when hairworks is off. The problem though is everything else seems worse with it off, things like the horse hair, gryphons head etc... all look better with hairworks on.
I hope there will be an 'ini' file where we can toggle which creatures or characters can and cannot have it.

I only recently put together my first gaming PC and I love the witcher series but don't know if i have good enough components to play the witcher 3 with recommended, minimum settings or not at all. I have a AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz processor, an AMD PowerColor R9 270 2GB GDDR5 Graphics card, 8GB RAM. Can someone please tell me if that's enough for either requirements.

I only recently put together my first gaming PC and I love the witcher series but don't know if i have good enough components to play the witcher 3 with recommended, minimum settings or not at all. I have a AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz processor, an AMD PowerColor R9 270 2GB GDDR5 Graphics card, 8GB RAM. Can someone please tell me if that's enough for either requirements.
Your graphics card meets the minimum requirements. Your CPU exceeds the minimum requirements. You have 8GB of RAM so that puts you above the minimum of 6GB. If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 64-bit you should be good to go. :thumbup:

Last edited:
We've all seen Geralt's gorgeous new hair, but for all the hype re: hairworks, I haven't heard a peep about AMD's hair tech TressFX, which means that AMD users get to look forward to that stiff straw-basket-head hair of TW2? And the wolves, bears, furry monsters, etc, are they all going to look flat & plasticky for gamers who didn't buy the right brand of video card? Because that would be really lame.

The in game hair looks pretty damn good to me i wont be using Nvidia Hairworks if my FPS goes down too much

Check comparisons on this video https://youtu.be/Frv80IjjsOw?t=34m45s

W3 AMD Optimisation Within Nvidia Game Works Query

Feeling a bit concerned with Nvidia Game Works tech running nicely on AMD gpu's since I'm running 290X CrossFire, could a dev confirm if AMD optimisations will be applied for AMD gpu's via CDProjects the same as they would on Nvidia?

Top Bottom