Are AMD users left high and dry?

+
That's what's bothering me in the last few months. As a loyal fan of the franchise and a supporter from the beginings of the witcher saga on the PC(I have multiple copies bought of Witcher 1(3copies) and 2(2copies)) I like to know if the AMD gpu users will suffer greatly because of the "weird" partnership between nVidia and CDP? After all that honesty and fair comunication with the fans from CDP I do not understand why they decided to divide the gamers.
Don't get me wrong, if I can switch of the extra fur or the hair on Geralt and get the the desirable fps on my 290x(60fps) on high I don't mind it. But I honestly doubt that that will be the case. Gameworks is rightfully infamous for the restrictions its creates when it comes to optimalization on AMD cards.
But frankly I have no hope that any devs will tell me how its going to run on AMD's. I expect some dodgy answer if any.
You build up some reputation CDP, hope you not going to ruin it in such a stupid way.

Feeling a bit concerned with Nvidia Game Works tech running nicely on AMD gpu's since I'm running 290X CrossFire, could a dev confirm if AMD optimisations will be applied for AMD gpu's via CDProjects the same as they would on Nvidia?

Oh god I did not know the witcher 3 was using gameworks. Think I'll wait until after release to see how it runs on AMD machines.

In what world do you live and how can I get there because all those games ran like absolute piss on high end Nvidia cards. Of course they also ran like piss on AMD cards.

Even more amusingly, I'm one of the lucky few who got to play Dying Light on my twin 290x and it smooth at high end settings at 6400x1600 resolution pretty much the entire time.

I understand that wasn't a typical experience, but it does go to show that Gameworks doesn't mean auto-kill on an AMD card.

Hmmm. Now I kinda want to to try FC4, but..no time.

What do you mean? You can beat the whole of FC4 in about 20 minutes. One of the super-easiest games ever. :rly?:

Question about performance on AMD gpu

Hi recently project cars released a it runs really bad on amd gpus an as the witcher 3 its a gameworks game can we expect the same kind of performance hit to amd user? I preordered the game this last weekend and I only have time to cancel the preorder this coming sunday.
So can anyone from cd project hopefully tell me that it will run ok on amd gpus I will be extremely thankfull.

Sry for my english.
Had to buy the witcher 3 on origin since it was the only place where I could afford to buy it.

I copied and pasted the minimum system requirement from http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_preorder and you can see the minimum AMD GPU required to run TW3 so on surface the answer is yes, but it depends on what type of AMD GPU you have I guess since you didn't state that in your post.

Minimum system requirements - Windows:
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz or AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Memory: RAM 6 GB
Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
Hard Drive: 35 GB of available space
DirectX: 11

I would be glad if the ultra setting requirements were made clear.
is the gtx970 still enough or would i need a gtx 980 like cdpr uses for presenting the game ...

I would be glad if the ultra setting requirements were made clear.
is the gtx970 still enough or would i need a gtx 980 like cdpr uses for presenting the game ...

I believe there maybe fps dips with ultra settings even with gtx 980 especially in crowded areas with effects so I guess you should expect slightly more with gtx 970.

Sry my pc spec are
FX 6300
8gb ram
AMD R9 280X

I honestly think that it still can do its job with TW3, but don't hold your hopes high on playing it with high or ultra settings...

all these physx affects work on amd but they work off the cpu, not the gpu like nvidia, but you can enable them. The issue becomes how low your framerate goes because of that. Decreased FPS from physx hits way harder when it uses cpu over gpu which is the only option for amd users.

also I think some of these physx affects were cut from the game, at least there is rumor of that happening. If true, very disappointing.

Last edited:
all these physx affects work on amd but they work off the cpu, not the gpu like nvidia, but you can enable them. The issue becomes how low your framerate goes because of that. Decreased FPS from physx hits way harder when it uses cpu over gpu which is the only option for amd users.

also I think some of these physx affects were cut from the game, at least there is rumor of that happening. If true, very disappointing.

Physx "works off the cpu" only in the barest sense of the word. Every game I've ever played with CPU enabled physx has run like a dog and wasn't even worth playing. Honestly idk how nV can get away advertising physx as AMD compatible. No hate towards nV - all exclusionary propeitary tech sucks and only further fragments and divides an already relatively niche gaming population.

I have an "old" i7 902 - Quadcore / 8 Threads @ 2.6ghz
with a R9 290-X.

I hope that my cpu will have enough bruteforce to hold the phys and that the ram-bus at 1066mhz is enough to handle all that realtime fur.

Why exactly have you not overclocked the processor, as it could easily go 3,6 or more with proper cooling?

Do devs reply or not in the forum?
Have you everwondered about the symbole? or about the
Give REDpointOption? the devs are watchin the forum, and do reply sometimes. Though i wonder if they have to inform public relations about their posts first or if only certain ppl have permission to comment, otherwise there should be a lot more posts from cdpr members within the forum.

Do devs reply or not in the forum?

I think the devs are probably very busy prepping for the May 19th launch. I believe TW3 is gonna be their biggest game launch yet and they don't want to screw this up. So I kinda understand that they probably are excited and nervous at the same time...

Have you everwondered about the symbole? or about the
Give REDpointOption? the devs are watchin the forum, and do reply sometimes. Though i wonder if they have to inform public relations about their posts first or if only certain ppl have permission to comment, otherwise there should be a lot more posts from cdpr members within the forum.

Don't know the ins and outs of how the forum works, not really interested, all I want to know from a dev is what I originally asked:

Will AMD gpu's get the same level of optimisation including GW's optimisations or not?

So far, it's been ignored, it's a very simple question but due to the wall of silence, it doesn't look good.

From the manual :

"Performance Note

Running this game on NVIDIA® GeForce® GPUs will enable the best possible playing
experience.
"

Why are AMD card users expected to pay the same amount of money for a product that is, by admission of the product developers themselves, sub-par? I'm feeling a little apprehensive about splashing out on this game if I know upfront that by simply opting for using one video card manufacturer's technology, I'm looking at having a compromised experience. Jeez... it's not even out yet and I'm feeling short-changed.

Nvidia owns 75 percent of the Discrete GPU market. They also own a fair sized share of Laptop GPUs. Nvidia helped CDPR make this game. Where was AMD at?
I have personally worked with Nvidia. They are great. They will help even the littlest Devs or in my case we are working with Jetson Devkits for machine learning and self driving cars. I had one of the engineers come to my shop. He stayed 2 days longer than anticipated. It is this customer service that wins Nvidia Game Devs, Gamers, Auto Enthusiasts/builders/O.E.M.s over. What you should be doing is knocking on AMD door and asking why they can not deliver such great service.

AMD has better hardware, but Nvidia has better software.marketing/ and support.

That is truth.

Top Bottom