Are Geralt and Triss Brother & Sister?

+
Are Geralt and Triss Brother & Sister?

There is a point where the King asks Geralt how he deals with his relationship to Triss, then mentions that perhaps it is alright due to Geralt's sterility and their inability to have offspring. He then talks about the love of his life (the Princess, who is his sister, not his daughter, as it is mentioned in the discussion of the curse that the daughter is the dead baby in the crypt that houses the striga spirit).

Suilebhain said:
There is a point where the King asks Geralt how he deals with his relationship to Triss, then mentions that perhaps it is alright due to Geralt's sterility and their inability to have offspring. He then talks about the love of his life (the Princess, who is his sister, not his daughter, as it is mentioned in the discussion of the curse that the daughter is the dead baby in the crypt that houses the striga spirit).
What do you mean with "brother & sister"? You mean both born from the same father\mother?They are not at all. They're simply friends (or more depends on the choice you did).Even if the King is talking about his love\sister doesn's mean that he means the same about Geralt. We still don't know how it is possible that Foltest fell in love with his own sister, but it's like this.The King is talking about "love affair" in general not about his own incestuos love.

It's not as far-fetched as it sounds.In our society, it is unlawful and also considered immoral, to say nothing about being dangerous from a genetic standpoint, but through the ages there have been certain individuals who deemed themselves above the law or religion and did not know anything about genetics, and if they were attracted to one another, did the deed.Consider Caligula, for example, and certain gods and goddesses of certain pantheons.I didn't think it, even though Geralt has no memory and is seeing things through new eyes, until the moment when the King asked about how he/Geralt handled it, then brought up the fact that maybe it would be easier for him/Geralt because he was unable to have children (and neither can Triss, if the bit about witches and sorceresses being sterile is true, as well).How did the King do it, fall for Adda? Well, she appears to be the hottest female in his realm, and she is no shrinking violet, either, so consider an egomaniac who is above the law and has little fear of a god (and most of the gods in Temeria seem to have little to say about morality, anyway), then the scenario is in place. The infant died at birth, but only because of the curse, which had to do with another's revenge and nothing to do with genetics (or so we are told).Anyway, just wondering if anyone else picked up on that, or if I read something into it that wasn't there. remember, we are told from the get-go that good and evil are a bit different in Temeria.

I get your point but I think Foltest is simply curious about Geralt's love life since he's known to be sterile and if he's planning to settle down in the future maybe.

The fact that Geralt lost his memory, it's a narrative invention made by CDP to justify the game's story. Because at the end of the books, Geralt dies.Both in the books and in the game, Triss and Geralt ARE NOT brother and sister. Geralt is sterile because is a mutant, a witcher. Triss is sterile because is a sorceress. That's why.As I said, we don't know how it is possible and why Foltest fell in love with Adda and they could lie down together, having a child. It's part of Sapkowski's imagination. That's all.Btw, it's true, not in every society incestuos relationship are criminal and for a certain period of human history it had been very commen (think about small and closed community, far far away from any other - certain Amazonic clans for example). I think that the intention of Sapkowski was to keep readers' mind wide open, showing the "grey" instead of "black" and "white", "good" and "evil". In fact, Foltest proved himself immoral but a loving attentive father. You know, it's the "lesser evil" that rules the Witcher's world..... ;)

From "The Last Wish" one can infer Foltest also
probably has gone gay. Implications were that "he had a pretty -too pretty- face" and after having a cursed child from the incestuous relationship with his sister, though he winked at princesses from other kingdoms or w/e he never concluded something with those women.

If you guys are so interested in Geralt's past read the books. If you do not have the books, talk to the male innkeeper in Murky waters and ask for an "interesting story". He'll give you the full story of the witcher's past. If you don't have the patience to read, just talk to him. But please do not float these ridiculous assumptions. I think Geralt's and Triss' "murky" past has been covered well enough in the books and leaves no room for assumptions such as these.If you are too lazy to do either, then read on, for I have some time to type out the main details:1. Triss and another sorceress, Yennifer were friends.2. Geralt met Yennifer first.3. In "The Last Wish" Geralt and Yennifer's destinies become bound by a air elemental spirit4. They fall apart for some time, and Triss (who had been a lesbian for some time), tries to experience a new kind of relationship with Geralt which never really works out.5. Triss is unable to contain the power of the Child of Destiny, Ciri, after her family was slaughtered., and Geralt turns to Yennifer for help.6. They (Geralt and Yennifer) effectively adopt the kid.7.Ciri=Princess+Witcher+Sorceress. She's from Cintra. Same place from where came the sugar sweetened beer in TW1 game. Check your inventory.8.War breaks out.9.Happy family separated *tears*10. Agents of kings sent to hunt her down.11. All fail.12. After war, happy reunion *yay*13. Unarmed Geralt gets killed by a peasant while he tried to stop a mob *irony*14. Sorceress dies trying to save him 15. I do not recall what exactly happened to Cirilla. It wasn't very clearly mentioned. But she is never heard of again.That is Geralt's "murky" past. No brother-sister incest in it. So don't get excited. Geralt never really loved Triss. It was a mere fling, as was the case with Shani. No wonder Triss did not want to tell him about his past....Thank me for my toils, for they were considerable.

Vilgefortzehello, just finished the witcher last week and found about this forum some days ago. looking at the topics i saw this one about triss and after reading your answer about the books i would like to ask you something.you said that in the books geralt never loved triss, it was just a fling.but what about triss. judging by the game its seems like that triss really loved geralt... so i was curious, in the books triss loved geralt or not.

I just ordered two books that are available in English. However, Vilgeforzte, I must take exception with your tone. If my question offends you, then back off. However, considering this is DARK fantasy, and such precedents have been set before in excellent works of fiction such as the works of Michael Moorcock, where morals become a bit blurred as one moves closer to power, and, for that matter, certain Arthur legends infer that Morgan was Arthur's sister, then these "ridiculous assumptions" gain a level of credibility, even if they are incorrect.As far as patience to read, I was unable to locate the "library" that was referred to in Murky Waters, and I happen to have read every one of my journal entries.Lastly, one should not assume that everyone has access to the books, considering one needs to read Polish for the better part of them, so please try not to be so high and mighty.

King Arthur didn't know that Morgan was his sister since she was older than him and had bnot the same father. After after the birth, Arthur was taken away from his mother by Merlin and grew up afar, with another man and his son. He didn't know who were his real parents, neither his sister until he got Excalibur from the stone and become the King.This is not the same that Foltest's story.

True enough. Foltest was more decadent, but if you consider that the world of the Witcher is not a Judeo-Christian world, and that Miletele (sp) is a Love goddess, AND that Foltest was the highest authority in his land, the taboo of incest is not as great as his lust for the Princess.

Guest 2005166

tersalius said:
looking at the topics i saw this one about triss and after reading your answer about the books i would like to ask you something.you said that in the books geralt never loved triss, it was just a fling.but what about triss. judging by the game its seems like that triss really loved geralt... so i was curious, in the books triss loved geralt or not.
Can be easily answered - Triss is in love with Geralt, but he loves Yennefer. That's the way the story goes.Now that the game actually starts after Geralt's (and also Yennefer's) "assumed" death, Triss seems to make use of his amnesia.I only wonder how long this will work out, really.I just guess, Foltest asks Geralt because he's curious. He might know that backstory with Yennefer (quite sure) and Triss is something like a counsellor to the king.I not even think it goes so much in depth so it scratches on this Witcher's sterility, which actually doesn't keep someone off from a healthy relationship.

Unkreativ said:
Unkreativ said:
looking at the topics i saw this one about triss and after reading your answer about the books i would like to ask you something.you said that in the books geralt never loved triss, it was just a fling.but what about triss. judging by the game its seems like that triss really loved geralt... so i was curious, in the books triss loved geralt or not.
Can be easily answered - Triss is in love with Geralt, but he loves Yennefer. That's the way the story goes.Now that the game actually starts after Geralt's (and also Yennefer's) "assumed" death, Triss seems to make use of his amnesia.I only wonder how long this will work out, really.
Until TW2 will be released I guess *giggle*

I was playing the game for the second time. I've reached where we enter to the palace. I was suggested that I talk to Triss, Velerad and De Wett on striga issue. When I talked to Triss she made an impression she does more than counselling to the king. Therefore, Foltest might have an eye on Triss which explains why he had Geralt followed and asks about his love life.

Guest 2005166

e-ahmet said:
I was playing the game for the second time. I've reached where we enter to the palace. I was suggested that I talk to Triss, Velerad and De Wett on striga issue. When I talked to Triss she made an impression she does more than counselling to the king. Therefore, Foltest might have an eye on Triss which explains why he had Geralt followed and asks about his love life.
Well, I bet the king also got a king size bed... *whistle*

Unkreativ said:
Unkreativ said:
Well, I bet the king also got a king size bed... *whistle*
*chuckles* good one.

e-ahmet said:
I've reached where we enter to the palace. I was suggested that I talk to Triss, Velerad and De Wett on striga issue. When I talked to Triss she made an impression she does more than counselling to the king. Therefore, Foltest might have an eye on Triss which explains why he had Geralt followed and asks about his love life.
True. But he also asks Geralt this question if Geralt chooses Shani, and I'm pretty sure Foltest doesn't have his eye on her. I think that the devs needed for Geralt to clarify his feelings as part of the "Identity" quest, and one of the few people who can be nosy at Geralt without getting a punch in the snoot is the king. :)

Corylea said:
True. But he also asks Geralt this question if Geralt chooses Shani, and I'm pretty sure Foltest doesn't have his eye on her. I think that the devs needed for Geralt to clarify his feelings as part of the "Identity" quest, and one of the few people who can be nosy at Geralt without getting a punch in the snoot is the king. :)
True. But he still maybe asking because he wants to make sure that there is nothing between Geralt and Triss. Mine is a storywise comment on the other hand yours is a practical comment which a developer would make.

OK, some stuff in this thread really needs to be cleared up:1. Princess Adda in the game is Foltest's daughter. His sister (also named Adda) died in childbirth. Adda the infant also apparently died, but in fact didn't and turned into a striga, until Geralt broke the curse. By the way, while it isn't mentioned in the books themselves, Sapkowski's notes mention Adda wasn't supposed to have mentally recovered, and remained retarded (remember: she'd been a striga since birth, for 14 years!), also her hair turned white shortly after the curse was broken.2. There is absolutely no indication of Foltest "going gay". Taking the "pretty face" comment to imply that is just beyond wild speculation. Foltest's current lover is baroness La Valette (though by the second game she rebels against the king).3. Witchers are completely sterile, Sorceresses are mostly sterile. Some of them experiment with fertility, though that usually doesn't work, or end bad for the kid (mutants, crazies etc.) By the way,
Geralt himself is son to a sorceress, Visenna

I've read the Last Wish and it does explains that Adda is named after Foltest sister but it also tells the story on how Geralt breaks the curse the "first time" which is an interesting read because it's just like the opening trailer. Adda mind is like a child after breaking the curse so it's not like she has normal intelligence and probably needed schooling to teach her to be human.14 years locked up as striga is a longtime and eventually it got out of hand until Velarad asked Geralt to break the curse.

Top Bottom