Are graphics downgraded in 1.04? No they are not. (pictures/videos)

+
I will check myself when I get home from work. Thanks for your pictures.

A thing I noticed though is that the second picture you post, which misses plant shadows, it has better detail in the distance, than the 1.01 photo.

Check the trees on the upper left corner.

And now that I look at the previous 1.01 pictures in this page, in all comparisons the trees in the distance have worse textures than the 1.04 pictures.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16741&stc=1
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16742&stc=1

So it looks like 1.04 offers more detail in the distance...

I will come back with my own game and check if the shadows are missing.
Yes ssao or DoF are off in 1.04.....I do not know

There is plenty of blood. Two clips from my last 15 minutes of play.

[video]https://youtu.be/woSknxfztoE[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/HHfxMdpCzLc[/video]

As far as blood collecting on Geralt, I have gone from a fight to a cutscene (cutting a trophy for example) where he has blood splatter all over him, but I rarely notice it otherwise. Then again I haven't been looking for it.

^^ blood generally seems to be glitchy at the moment. I have moments where there is a lot of blood with enemies bleeding and there are moments where there is no blood at all. This is a glitch, hopefully they will fix it.

There is plenty of blood. Two clips from my last 15 minutes of play.

[video]https://youtu.be/woSknxfztoE[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/HHfxMdpCzLc[/video]

As far as blood collecting on Geralt, I have gone from a fight to a cutscene (cutting a trophy for example) where he has blood splatter all over him, but I rarely notice it otherwise. Then again I haven't been looking for it.

There is blood in 1.04 yes, but there's no blood on the enemies you're fighting like they were in version 1.00 like my previous video clearly shows. Downgrade or bug - they need to get their shit together.

I can confirm that the shadows have been downgraded. If you look to left of Geralt in the 1.04 image, you will see that the shrub shadows are still present, but only when close to the player. This is not something that is obvious until you're elevated like in the picture. As you approach the shadows fill in.

It's obviously a reduction in the shadow draw distance, not a bug.

These screenshots are taken from the same save, mere moments apart; after updating from 1.00 to 1.04.

Ver 1.00

Ver 1.04

Attachments

• White Orchard ver 1.00.jpg
    White Orchard ver 1.00.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 49
  • White Orchard ver 1.04.jpg
    White Orchard ver 1.04.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 38
Rockstar doesn't downgrade GTA V to make stable framerate. Even Ubisoft doesn't downgrade AC: Unity to make normal framerate.
Why CDPR do this? Optimization not = downgrade.

If they feel the need to downgrade graphics to make the game run better they should at least tell us, or make it optional via a patch you can choose to download.

Surely they can't sell you a product and then make it worse than it was when you purchased it?!

---------- Updated at 06:34 PM ----------

Also, has anybody noticed that the colours look a lot more washed out and faded on the photos from 1.04?

V1.00

V1.04

textures at the right side

V1.00

V1.04

I know the shadows are different because of the dynamic weather BUT what happened to the wall in 1.04?

Attachments

• V1-Gerald Balcony.jpg
    V1-Gerald Balcony.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 42
  • TW3_PS4_V104-Gerald_balcony 1570.jpg
    TW3_PS4_V104-Gerald_balcony 1570.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 38
  • V1-Kaer Morhan.jpg
    V1-Kaer Morhan.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 33
  • TW3_PS4_V104-Kaer Morhan 1530.jpg
    TW3_PS4_V104-Kaer Morhan 1530.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Same save three patches later, when a lot of things have been tuned and modified, probably including the weather system. Clouds are almost never in the same place. I'm not even sure if you reload the game in the same version of the game the clouds would be the same as they were before.

If you check comparisons between GTA V on Ps4 and Ps3 you will see the same effect.

(Ps4 images are the ones on the left)

I think it's an effect called atmospheric fog, if anything it was improved.

Attachments

• ojasojas.jpg
    ojasojas.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
  • sokajsa.jpg
    sokajsa.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Completely agree, I still have hope that they are downgrading to improve FrameRate, and they'll implement the effects back again.
Otherwise, I'll be very sad about it, at the point of regretting buying the game :(

I think, but of course I cant be sure, that the streaming technology the game has might be the reason why sometimes textures or shadows might not load properly. If you see the pictures between 1.01 and 1.04 you will see that most times 1.04 has better textures on the trees in the distant background. But at the same time, indeed some textures take more time to load properly.

About the shadows I went to the same place as the picture, but for the life of me I couldnt get LIMBO weather... it was always effing clear! I must have meditated whole weeks and nothing.. always clear weather... (wth is LIMBO weather anyway?)

But I can confirm as well that from that certain vantage point my pictures look like Wah_Gwaan's . Meaning shadows are not as prominent as the original pics. But again I couldnt get the same LIMBO type of weather conditions for the life of me.

It seems that elevation seems to cause this. Once you get down on the ground from the same distance as original pics it looks the same. I can confirm though that 1.04 has better textures on the treeline in the distance. In 1.00 it looks like a PS2 texture.

Also about the colours, guys... there is no difference. You can be in the same spot and take a way different lighting condition since the way clouds move, produces shadows etc. One moment you can take a picture and it will be dark, the next moment you take a picture and everything is lit up.

Try to zoom in, shadow on the tree in the distance on the right, where it seems to be missing, is at his place, it's only lighter on 1.04 in front of 1.0.
On the extreme left instead it seems to be missing, but sincerely for me it makes no sense to pin point to a single shadow of a single tree to talk about downgrade, it's clearly a problem of data streaming...

Last edited:
V1.00

V1.04

I know the shadows are different because of the dynamic weather BUT what happened to the wall in 1.04?

Look at these 2 pictures enlarged. Notice that foliage in 1.04 is increased on walls and shadows are better. Even the textures on the front wall look better. As to the wall on the left it does look messed up like the texture hasnt loaded properly. Shadows are better and 1.00 is completely missing some tree shadows in the top right part of the screen...

But my point is. Why in this comparison foliage is increased compared to 1.04? It is crystal clear that foliage is better and you can argue that even shadows are better.

So why is 1.04 with clear advantage here while in the other comparison it is not?

I think the game is "tweaked" with each patch that comes out. That doesnt mean is downgraded, though, from what we see here I definetely see an upgrade in that picture above. Just look at the foliage and shadows.

Last edited:
Look at these 2 pictures enlarged. Notice that foliage in 1.04 is increased on walls and shadows are better. Even the textures on the front wall look better. As to the wall on the left it does look messed up like the texture hasnt loaded properly. Shadows are better and 1.00 is completely missing some tree shadows in the top right part of the screen...

But my point is. Why in this comparison foliage is increased compared to 1.04? It is crystal clear that foliage is better and you can argue that even shadows are better.

So why is 1.04 with clear advantage here while in the other comparison it is not?

I think the game is "tweaked" with each patch that comes out. That doesnt mean is downgraded, though, from what we see here I definetely see an upgrade in that picture above. Just look at the foliage and shadows.
Yeah i also must say the foliage looks better on the 1.04 screen but what is that strange texture in the 1.04 on the wall of Kaer Morhan in the middle?

Okay and what do you think about the other pictures that where in the same post?

And here a few more to compare......

V1.00

V1.04

And here left side 1.00 and right side 1.04

Attachments

• V1-Gerald Voromir 2.jpg
    V1-Gerald Voromir 2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 39
  • V1-Start.jpg
    V1-Start.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 32
  • TW3_PS4_V104-Gerald Voromir 2 2639.jpg
    TW3_PS4_V104-Gerald Voromir 2 2639.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 32
  • TW3_PS4_V104-start 0720.jpg
    TW3_PS4_V104-start 0720.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 32
  • V1-V2-Wanne.jpg
    V1-V2-Wanne.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
So you guys are comparing 1.00 with 1.04?
And am i correct in saying that ver 1.00 was the version that some people had early access to, and hadn't had the day 1 patch applied (which i assume would be 1.01)?

If so, then it is already known that the day 1 patch introduced some tweaks (or downgrades if you prefer) to help optimise the framerate.

Website Digital Foundry tested version pre day 1 patch and post day 1 patch (on xbox one, but i assume PS4 would have had a similar patch) and noted that shadow draw distance had been reduced, AO had been reduced (at least in the opening portion of the game) and AF had been reduced (though AF reduction was only present in the opening sequence)
Digital Foundry also noted that these changes had resulted in an upgrade to the games framerate stability.

As for downgrades after 1.01, the evidence presented by Valkyre4 would suggest there was no major downgrade in 1.03 or 1.04 (and cdpr stated they had improved foliage shadow rendering in patch 1.03, which seems to be backed up by the castle shots above) and that pop in seems to be a data streaming issue.(And Witcher 3 wouldn't be the first game to have pop in issues on PS4: see Trials Fusion or Thief 4)

As for npc counts in Novigrad, i mostly play on Xbox one, and have observed on that version, since day 1 of the game's release, that the amount of characters on screen seems entirely dynamic and random.
Sometimes it feels quite empty, and other times it is teeming with people.

I for one believe cdpr when they say there has been no downgrades (from 1.01, which is the official retail version of the game originally released) and technical analysis has shown some, albeit slight, performance improvements on PS4.

V1.00

V1.04

textures at the right side

V1.00

V1.04

Okay and what do you think about the other pictures that where in the same post?

And here a few more to compare......

V1.00

V1.04

And here left side 1.00 and right side 1.04

In the horse picture the God ray is droping directly in front of the scene in 1.04 altering the colors and lighting, but it is because trees move and thus you get different god ray results. But this affects the comparison.

What I can tell for certain is that again the 1.04 shot looks like it has more foliage.

In the Kaer Morhen indoors picture, I am not sure I can spot a difference other than slight lighting differences which are again due to the effect of fire that can produce each frame slightly different results and affecting the lighting in close proximity to it.

The picture with Geralt taking a bath I get only 1 picture unfortunately. Dunno whats wrong with it maybe my browser's fault.

I still support my original opinion that the game can be tweaked in several ways that can sometimes make it look worse in one scenario and better in the other. So far from all the pictures that have been posted there is only one occasion where I would say that 1.00 has a clear advantage and that is the White Orchard picture on top of the rooftop. Even in that picture you can spot worse LOD in textures (look at the treeline). But shadows do appear better so I can give it a win.

Everything else, looks either the same to me, or slightly better in 1.04. Foliage certainly got a small upgrade it seems and textures in the distance are indeed slightly better.

Shadows are debate-able I agree, but again the are instances in 1.00 were shadows are missing compared to 1.04 as well (Kaehr Morhen picture).

Which is why I say that the game is tweaked and not downgraded. Also weather/lighting effects play a HUGE role and affect the image gravely even if the time and weather are the same.

People also need to remember that the game in 1.00 was pretty much in beta stage from what we know. Pop in was crazy, there were a ton of bugs and generaly the whole game was completely unstable. I say this mostly for those who cry out things like : "bring back 1.00!". HELL NO.

Last edited:
The other 3 example pictures from me also show that there is NO big difference. I still think that the biggest problem that the game has is that it has an texture loading problem.

The REDUCED gore level, and that does not mean that the blood is gone, is for me an bigger problem as the graphics.

---------- Updated at 03:04 PM ----------

In the horse picture the God ray is droping directly in front of the scene in 1.04 altering the colors and lighting, but it is because trees move and thus you get different god ray results. But this affects the comparison.

What I can tell for certain is that again the 1.04 shot looks like it has more foliage.

In the Kaer Morhen indoors picture, I am not sure I can spot a difference other than slight lighting differences which are again due to the effect of fire that can produce each frame slightly different results and affecting the lighting in close proximity to it.

The picture with Geralt taking a bath I get only 1 picture unfortunately. Dunno whats wrong with it maybe my browser's fault.

I still support my original opinion that the game can be tweaked in several ways that can sometimes make it look worse in one scenario and better in the other. So far from all the pictures that have been posted there is only one occasion where I would say that 1.00 has a clear advantage and that is the White Orchard picture on top of the rooftop. Even in that picture you can spot worse LOD in textures (look at the treeline). But shadows do appear better so I can give it a win.

Everything else, looks either the same to me, or slightly better in 1.04. Foliage certainly got a small upgrade it seems and textures in the distance are indeed slightly better.

Shadows are debate-able I agree, but again the are instances in 1.00 were shadows are missing compared to 1.04 as well (Kaehr Morhen picture).

Which is why I say that the game is tweaked and not downgraded. Also weather/lighting effects play a HUGE role and affect the image gravely even if the time and weather are the same.

People also need to remember that the game in 1.00 was pretty much in beta stage from what we know. Pop in was crazy, there were a ton of bugs and generaly the whole game was completely unstable. I say this mostly for those who cry out things like : "bring back 1.00!". HELL NO.

The Picture with Gerald in the bath tube is only 1 picture, left 50% 1.00 right 50% 1.04 ;)

That was just to show that there is NO big difference.

Yeah the Lightning, the weather everything changes the pictures.

If u also look at the picture with Gerald and Voromir on the horse back, also the tails of the horses are dynamic.

In my eyes graphic is the same; texture loading problems.

Top Bottom