Are there a lot of swamps in Poland?

+
Are there a lot of swamps in Poland?

So, having just finished the EE, I'm struck once again by how much of this game takes place in a swamp. We're in the Swamp Forest for much of Chapters 2 and 3, and then we finally -- hurrah! -- leave it behind us, only to have the Swamp Cemetery in Chapter 5.TWO swamps? We see a single city, but we get two swamps? (And then of course, there's the sewer, which feels much like a third swamp.)So, is Poland full of swamps? Or is there some other reason why Geralt is knee-deep in dirty water for most of the game?

Quite the contrary -- maybe swamps are a rarity in Poland, so the developers thought it would be sort of an "exotic" location to players. :)

Planewalker said:
Quite the contrary -- maybe swamps are a rarity in Poland, so the developers thought it would be sort of an "exotic" location to players. :)
Then I invite them all to go for a nice long vacation there. :)

I wouldn't say that this merry country is made out of swamplands, but there are indeed such areas here.Some examples:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biebrza_National_Parkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rospuda_Riverhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polesie_National_Parkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uj%C5%9Bcie_Warty_National_Park

Swamps are made to hate it, I hate it too but I'm glad they're in the game. What would a fantasy story be without a swamps, hmmm ? Didn't you like the swamps during the rainy night with that strange tower on the horizon - beautifull :)

Mike said:
Swamps are made to hate it, I hate it too but I'm glad they're in the game. What would a fantasy story be without a swamps, hmmm ? Didn't you like the swamps during the rainy night with that strange tower on the horizon - beautifull :)
ONE swamp would have been fine, and as you say, the strange tower adds a lot of atmosphere. I was not pleased to see the Swamp Cemetery in Chapter V, however, after having spent much of Chapters II and III in the Swamp Forest. It's not a deal-breaker -- I LOVE this game -- but it did make me wonder why the devs had such a thing for swamps, which is why I asked if there were a lot of swamps in Poland.

I like swamps, they bring atmosphere and lots of xp. The only problem to me in the Swamp Cemetary was the navigation. It was difficult to get to the locations on the map :wall:

VitorMcCury said:
I like swamps, they bring atmosphere and lots of xp. The only problem to me in the Swamp Cemetary was the navigation. It was difficult to get to the locations on the map :wall:
Yes! A lot of the obstacles that were in the world weren't on the map, so it was hard to get around.

gamewidow said:
money, money, money ... and drowner brains have albedo :)
yes, yes, we live in a material world. It's all down to money and albedo. Nobody cares anymore for simple things such as lying in the grass and bleeding to death when the lover of your dead sister whom you killed stabed you with a knife. I tell you, there's no more room for romantics in this world.

Hamenaglar said:
yes, yes, we live in a material world. It's all down to money and albedo. Nobody cares anymore for simple things such as lying in the grass and bleeding to death when the lover of your dead sister whom you killed stabed you with a knife. I tell you, there's no more room for romantics in this world.
*giggle*

I love swamp locations in cRPGs. They bring atmosphere of being abandoned and surrounded. This is perfect for me since I like to such thing while roleplaying. Plus, swamps usually the are most likely place where the ancient evil hangs out ready to be impaled by my character.;)Swamps in “the Witcher” are way too green for me. Swamp locations should be black, foggy and full of old black and disfigured trees. And will-o-wisps are a must. I haven't seen any in the game unfortunately. And they are populated, which is quite shocking. Seriously - what kind of sane people would actually choose to work and live in such place?

Would you prefer the water-ey grave idea or the death - in - the- sun idea that is the place I live? We have raging heat and get by on less than 9 inches ( 23cm) of rain per year. Dust storms are the norm and when the sun goes down each evening, the temperature can drop 20-30 degrees in less than an hour. I find it interesting that swamps appear in games far more often than do deserts. It makes the color green very lovely, because it is rare to have it around. My surrounding is like Arrakis or Tatooine. I like all of the swamps, There are trees there.

Do You want to know how Poland looks? Chapter IV, specially fields. Obviously houses are complitly differnt ;) Every polish player felt in love, when he saw this chapter!! Every!! It is extremly strong connection with our (or ours parents) memories about childhood. moreover, this part of game is (the story about wedding, sisters, crime and his effects, even many dialogues) with one of the Słowacki's drama - "Balladyna" (Juliusz Słowacki great polish writer, XIX century). This chapter includes parts of our religion (before the baptism, but many of them "lives" even today, for example as legends, proverbs etc), such as this ghosts which appears at noon / midnight ( południca / północnica in polish. i don't know english meanings). As You see, there is many many reasons for love it;) There are gold fileds of grain with poppies, hills, a little river, lake (in Poland are may, usually quite small, lakes), ruins and merry, rural life in our lovely, merry country;) (nowadays Poland isn't rural... but is merry:) STILL;) )

sounds beautiful :) ... i've seen several pictures of Polish national parks (or whatever the equivalent name is there) and it does look very nice, even the swamps looks niceof course, here in canada we have some of almost every kind of natural environment, from yellow (wheat and canola) fields, to swamps (wetlands! please :D ) and muskeg!, to forests, mountains, desert-like (ok, not /actual/ desert) areas like the badlands, tundra, rocky coasts, sandy coasts, icy coasts ... :D , rolling hills, urban blight, rural blight, we've got it all!no volcanoes (yet!) ... our own mythical monster (sasquatch)but basically, there's no way to say what things 'look like' here ... not saharan! or amazon jungle-like :wave:eek:ne of these days i'll check out Poland first hand

I agree, Ch 4 is easily my favorite chapter in the game, as it has the most visually pleasing locations along with 3 of the best music pieces in the game to go with them.It also looks very much like a lot of places here in Scotland :peace:

You all should see Warmia & Mazury area (especially Warmia)...province of 1000 lakes... Poland's greenland ... and rolling hills :teeth:Maybe I'll start a topic with pictures of our land (only landscapes), what do you think? Interested?

Top Bottom