Are there statistics of how many people have game on wishlist?

+

Surma.

Forum regular
Considering I have a relative who's interested of this game but is waiting the game to be "fixed" before purchasing the game, I wonder how many people in total are waiting for the game to have game in "fixed" status and been touted by the social media to play it.

Do developers have statistics on these things for example on service like Steam?

I think it'd be helpful information, considering with the weak Q1 sales, where many are delaying purchase due to the perceived problems and missing content.

How many people in general are just waiting to buy the game on 33% sale for example?

Do you have any friends/relatives that have game on wish list? What is their excuse for not buying the game? Will they buy it eventually?

"ARE THERE STATISTICS OF HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE GAME ON WISHLIST?"

Could imagine the Wishlist's private. So unless people openly share that info, don't think there are any statistics available.

Surma.

Forum regular

"ARE THERE STATISTICS OF HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE GAME ON WISHLIST?"

Could imagine the Wishlist's private. So unless people openly share that info, don't think there are any statistics available.

Well it would be possible to get statistics of how many people want specific game without breaking anyone's privacy.

Anonymous data collection has been around for ages and services like Steam could for example keep statistics of how many times some game was shown in front page, how many clicked on the game, how many people stayed to watch the videos of said game promotion material.

It would be entirely possible for service provider like Steam to collect data of a specific game being in the wish list.

And considering that I could see my friends wish list casually while browsing games, I don't think there's really privacy issue that would prevent collection of said data.

Considering Witcher 3 sold 8-9 million on launch year, and selling over 30 million in total today, I'd assume there is about twice the amount of people who put the game on Wishlist or planned to buy the game on future, or just bought the game because it was praised and was on sale.

Last edited:
I do not know if there's anything that would track such 'box' so I imagine there's statistics.
But what I would find arguably more interesting?: Why/how would knowing this be of influence too... Well whatever it is you want to know this for?

Steam wishlist is public if you set your game details to be public, which many people do.

There's definitely ways for developers track wishlistings because I've seen posts from developers saying things like "so many of you have wishlisted our game". I would imagine they can only track public ones though.

Surma.

Forum regular
I would imagine they can only track public ones though.
Well that would kinda suck.

Though I don't think most steam users are changing their privacy settings so even if with only publicly available wishes would probably amount to 80-90% of total wishes.

Well that would kinda suck.

Though I don't think most steam users are changing their privacy settings so even if with only publicly available wishes would probably amount to 80-90% of total wishes.
Add to that: its only the ones who actively put the game in such actual list. How many people may be wondering the question, or having a wish to get the game, but do not use wishlists etc.

For me, wishlist is pretty useless :)
If I want a game, I buy it or I would buy it soon (no need for a list to remember).
If it's to "tell" to someone (family/friends/...) that I want a game and they could gift it to me, the entire steam library (for example) could be my wishlist.

Even if the game is on someone's wishlist and it can be tracked, it is not clear why this person has put the game there, so it cannot be really helpful, it just shows some interest.
Well that'd be helpful to give some indication about potential future purchases.

I'd be interested of hearing any statistics if anyone has managed to create based on lets say something to the tone of
"After game was published, it sold X million copies, Y accounts put product on wish list and it sold T million units throughout 10 years. Based on this analysis it'd fair to assume a formula for future sales: Y/X*U"
(U could be overall interest of the genre, where lets say turn based strategy games had score of 4 and multiplayer games had score of 10, indie games had score of 5)

For example World of Warcraft didn't really become popular until few years after release so something like factor 10 could be expected on some games.
1622625842514.png

Game like GTA 5 you had initial burst of sales in range of 11 million in release date, and I'd assume somewhere in 15 million in first month, since then they've gained 140 million more purchases throughout 7 years with addition of multiplayer especially boosting sales in Q3 of 2014.
1622627166627.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom