Are we even playing V in the DLC?

+
I mean, for some endings returning to Night City is not really an option. And i highly doubt they make a "different" DLC for each ending.
Heck, in some endings you're even dead, so ...

So what actually is confirmed about the coming DLC? Is it maybe taking place before the ending?
Are we even playing V? I mean, there are a lot of stories to be told, no reason to stick with V anyway.

Personally i'd rather continue the story of V in part 2 of the game, maybe even not at all and just leave us with "what will happen" thoughts.

Erm, the Expansion is taking place BEFORE the endings. That's why Keanu is reprising his role as Johnny.

And I agree with you on wanting to play as V again in the sequel. Their story isn't over. Not with those endings.

So maybe i should even wait to start a new game until the DLC is out?

Then again: more Johnny? Meh -.-
That's up to you. I mean, you can do a new playthrough and go slowly until we know the release date of the expansion. That's gonna be my move. I plan to do a 4th playthrough on hard soonish. I'm hoping Phantom Liberty releases in March at the earliest. Don't want to wait till summer tbh.

So what actually is confirmed about the coming DLC? Is it maybe taking place before the ending?
Are we even playing V? I mean, there are a lot of stories to be told, no reason to stick with V anyway.
As far as I know, CDPR didn't really announce where/when the expansion will take place... But all the clues that we can see on the trailers lead to a "pre-ending" expansion.
If I had to guess, expansion will most probably take just before the point of no return (which means that everyone will be able to play it). So it's up to you to restart a new playthrough or to wait... playing the expansion won't be a problem anyway in any case.

while I will wait till its been out for a bit. Cost and its effects on any of the main story endings will give me a buy don't buy decision. I can tell you that if it has zero effect (meaning changing whether V dies or not)on the endings then there is zero reason to bother buying it.

Erm, the Expansion is taking place BEFORE the endings. That's why Keanu is reprising his role as Johnny.
Are we sure?

Check the sequence of numbers that scroll at the end of Trailer 1. They appear to coincide with the timeframes covered in the lorebooks and the video game.

The release year for Phantom Liberty (2023) is preceded by the year 2079, not 2077.

Just because we're interacting with Johnny does not mean that Phantom Liberty takes place before the endings. For all we know, the cutcscene with Johnny is a flashback and the action picks up after one of the endings where V is still in control of his body.

It is probably best for us to wait and see what happens.

It is probably best for us to wait and see what happens.
Maybe better :)
I won't base my guess on just "2079". It could simply be when the sequel (Orion) take place...
As far as I know :
- Only V is allowed to discuss with Johnny (and see him).
- Johnny can only be aware of what happen in the expansion if he's in V's head when it happen (his question to V "tell me you have a plan")
And after all the endings, there is no V+Johnny, it's either V, either Johnny or none of them.

So yeah, I can't be "sure", but for me it's "very, very" likely a pre-ending expansion :D

Edit :
For all we know, the cutcscene with Johnny is a flashback
To be a flashback, it should be something that V and Johnny experienced together (a discussion that they already had before the endings), which is not the case :)

Last edited:
I like to play Devil's Advocate. I agree that it is highly likely that PL takes place before the endings but if the two year gap tease holds true, then there is a lot of time between the endings and PL to reason away how V and Johnny end up together again.

After all, what is "canon" anyway but something the storyteller makes up as he goes along that the listeners of the story accept as "fact?" Let's not rule anything out before we know for sure, as we fans are not in the position to dictate what will or won't happen.

And when I said "flashback" I meant it in the sense that we the players are watching an event from the past, not V experiencing the flashback. PL could have events that take place both in 2077 and 2079. We know absolutely zero about the chain of events.

Last edited:
I like to play Devil's Advocate. I agree that it is highly likely that PL takes place before the endings but if the two year gap tease holds true, then there is a lot of time between the endings and PL to reason away how V and Johnny end up together again.
Unlikely that V and Johnny will end together again 2 years after the endings :)
- Either Johnny take V's body or he vanish behind the blackwall with Alt. In those endings Mikoshi & Soulkiller are destroyed. So it mean that after these endings, existing engrams are gone for good and noone will able to create "new" engrams or to (re)create Relics (the technology is gone).
- Either Johnny is deleted by Arasaka, so Johnny is definitly gone for good.
So with all the current endings, a "Johnny's return" with V, two years after the ending seem impossible.

Then if some events take place 2 years after, it means that V found a way to survive these 2 years (which also seem unlikely knowing that if V get in the Embers to talk to Hanako, V will die soon after... Matter of days at best).

So agreed, that we don't know, but the "clues" lead to a pre-ending expansion anyway :)

I do not disagree but Mr. Blue Eyes's cryptic promise of granting V "more than he could ever imagine" should he pull off the Crystal Palace job does leave a lot to the imagination. We also do not know the contents of the data cache that Mr. Blue Eyes hires V to steal.

Within the context of what we already know from the game, a reunion seems unlikely but I do not think we should be putting forth any of our assumptions of what will happen as proven fact. The DLC has yet to be released. :)

I do not disagree but Mr. Blue Eyes's cryptic promise of granting V "more than he could ever imagine" should he pull off the Crystal Palace job does leave a lot to the imagination. We also do not know the contents of the data cache that Mr. Blue Eyes hires V to steal.
Don't disagree too, but locking the expansion behind one ending (which is not the most played, the Star is) seem to be a (really) bad idea...
If I have to choose the Sun ending to play the expansion, I would be annoyed. Not much because I will play it anyway, but still :D

(on a side note, Mr Blue Eyes, who is probably controlled by someone/entity is not a person that I can trust... It really sound like an empty promise like Johnny say in the trailer^^)

So maybe i should even wait to start a new game until the DLC is out?

Then again: more Johnny? Meh -.-
I'm not restarting for the DLC, but I WILL restart for v1.7
Post automatically merged:

Even without leaks it's obvious Phantom Liberty takes place in act 2
Which is fairly common with expansions in story based games with an end point; Mass Effect has all DLC for all games taking place before the ending for example.

Don't disagree too, but locking the expansion behind one ending (which is not the most played, the Star is) seem to be a (really) bad idea...
Eh, I think it is an even worse idea to have the game take place in Act II as it takes away from the sense of urgency the game builds in. For a guy that only has a limited time to live, the game sure does have V doing a lot of stuff in the interim.

Chasing cyberpsychos, fighting criminal gangs, and with a ticking time bomb in his head all the while.

And now we add a NUSA gig on top of that?

I also would prefer to have the game take place after the endings because I would get to play the DLC without having to start a brand new campaign.

(on a side note, Mr Blue Eyes, who is probably controlled by someone/entity is not a person that I can trust... It really sound like an empty promise like Johnny say in the trailer^^)
Well, if the file associations in the game directories are to be believed, Mr. Blue Eyes is Morgan Blackhand (or at least his hair is). Whether or not he can be trusted is still a mystery.

Last edited:
There is nothing that says that a Phantom Liberty that happens in 2079 would not have V returning to Night City to handle business.
In fact, the problem (for me), it's V's lifespan (6 months at best). If PL happens in 2079, V have to find a way to survive until 2079 first. So whatever the ending, there are some "things" to achieve even before even starting the main plot of PL.
For a sequel, everything is possible. But "only" for an expansion, seem to me to represent to much work to "simply" bring back V in 2079. That's why I believe the 2079 is rather related to something else, like Orion :)
Well, if the file associations in the game directories are to be believed, Mr. Blue Eyes is Morgan Blackhand (or at least his hair is). Whether or not he can be trusted is still a mystery.
The "flesh/body" coud be him... But glowing eyes often means that someone behind control the dude like a puppet (like Hanako with the doll). And as far as I know, he's (or the puppet master at least) is involved in brainwash conspiracy... So I would take his word with a grain of salt and certainely not like something sure :)

But yeah, it's just my guesses and there are chances that I'm wrong (I assume CDPR will keep the secret as much as possible until the release). Anyway, it's been two years that I looking forward for new content on Cyberpunk... So whatever the content, I won't complain. It will be great, I'm sure :giggle:

Last edited:
I've read some of the leaks so I know when it takes place. And that V will get something significant out of it that will change there life.

Top Bottom