Are we over-hyping the game?

+
Why are you afraid? I really don't understand. Don't you go to enjoy the game? (There is no perfect game in the world, can't be perfect in the real world, do you think the game will be perfect??)

Give me an example where poor use of a fantastic game world leads to a good game.

Not what I said. Background over gameplay isn't "poor use of a fantastic game world". It's "respect of original background material".
Plus people tends to forget not everyone takes pleasure in the same things, that's how entire genre end up being spit on because "not fun" to the mainstream players.

Fact is that C2077, when "percevied fun" gameplay and the background collided, the choosed "percevied fun" gameplay.

Not what I said. Background over gameplay isn't "poor use of a fantastic game world". It's "respect of original background material".
Plus people tends to forget not everyone takes pleasure in the same things, that's how entire genre end up being spit on because "not fun" to the mainstream players.

Fact is that C2077, when "percevied fun" gameplay and the background collided, the choosed "percevied fun" gameplay.
Developers can be as respectful to the original background material as much as they want to. The fact remains if developers don't utilize that area effectively then the game play becomes dull. A game that looks nice doesn't mean that it is a good game. I'll give you some examples. The Crew, Metal Gear Solid 5, No Man's Sky, even Just Cause 2 which has one of the biggest open world maps in the gaming industry, all have poor use of their open worlds.

I saw the writing on the wall from the get-go, when the game was first announced. People swore that because of The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 was already all but guaranteed "game of the generation", a perfect game with no flaws. What they fail to realize is it took CDPR two previous games in the series to get to what had been achieved in the third and depending on who you ask, the first two were good, but not great.

It's just curious as to why people think that CDPR is destined to achieve the same level with CP2077 as they did with TW3? I mean, it's a brand new genre, a brand new perspective, a brand new source material to draw from, etc...would we expect a Superbowl MVP to suddenly transfer over to the NBA and become the MVP in the NBA Finals the next year, nevermind they had never played basketball before in their life? It's kind of the same situation here.

I just think people need to temper their expectations and expect that this might just wind up not being the "Masterpiece" as some have already tagged it on the Steam store page, but merely just "Good", or even just "OK".

Last edited:
It's just curious as to why people think that CDPR is destined to achieve the same level with CP2077 as they did with TW3?
The "same" level? Perhaps not. But CDPR does have the experience of the Witcher series under their belt. They have a pretty good idea by now of what works, what doesn't, what players want, and what they don't. And a MAJOR factor will be Mike Pondsmith; as a game designer, both PnP and video, he also has a good feel for things.

I saw the writing on the wall from the get-go, when the game was first announced. People swore that because of The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 was already all but guaranteed "game of the generation", a perfect game with no flaws. What they fail to realize is it took CDPR two previous games in the series to get to what had been achieved in the third and depending on who you ask, the first two were good, but not great.

It's just curious as to why people think that CDPR is destined to achieve the same level with CP2077 as they did with TW3? I mean, it's a brand new genre, a brand new perspective, a brand new source material to draw from, etc...would we expect a Superbowl MVP to suddenly transfer over to the NBA and become the MVP in the NBA Finals the next year, nevermind they had never played basketball before in their life? It's kind of the same situation here.

I just think people need to temper their expectations and except that this might just wind up not being the "Masterpiece" as some have already tagged it on the Steam store page, but merely just "Good", or even just "OK".
you're all over the place with your analogy

The "same" level? Perhaps not. But CDPR does have the experience of the Witcher series under their belt. They have a pretty good idea by now of what works, what doesn't, what players want, and what they don't. And a MAJOR factor will be Mike Pondsmith; as a game designer, both PnP and video, he also has a good feel for things.

I read that this is 75% CPPR, Mike only checks if things fits to the lore or no. Its in that Lilyah Thread, she did somekind of question and answer thing.

There is absolutely NO WAY This game is going to be a failure. I'll tell you why...the background of the game and the choices we'll make remind me of Deus Ex. The style of play reminds me of The Matrix.

This is my first post and my 2 eurodollar in this.

I read that this is 75% CPPR, Mike only checks if things fits to the lore or no. Its in that Lilyah Thread, she did somekind of question and answer thing.
Probably more like 85% CDPR. I'm sure Mike is mostly dealing with the lore. But he was designing games when most of the CDPR staff, and you (not me, I'm an old fart) where in diapers. He's a resource on what works and what doesn't.

Having experience in one thing doesn't automatically equate success in another. And true, with three Witcher games, they have a good idea of what works and what doesn't, which makes it kinda weird that for this game, they went against everything they've gotten known for. As for what players want and what they don't want, that's debatable and totally dependant on who you ask and what they want. And Mike Pondsmith...well, he's the perfect example of not always being guaranteed another hit just because they've had great successes before.

Cyberpunk 2013 (v1.0) - "What's this? Where'd this come from? This is pretty cool!"
Cyberpunk 2020 (v2.0) - "Yes! More Cyberpunk, and it's even better now! Man, this is freakin' awesome!"
Cybergenerations - "Hmm...kids and nanotech? Well, it's...different, for sure. Still, kinda interesting. Besides, it's just a holdover until the next volume of Cyberpunk."
Cyberpunk 203X (v3.0) - "WTF is this?!? Alt-cults? No more real cybernetics, but stupid armbands instead??? FUZION?!? We waited years for this?!? The hell, man???"

Yeah, Pondsmith, as great as he was for the first two volumes of Cyberpunk, let's not go overboard and proclaim he can do no wrong. No one is perfect. Everyone eventually makes a misstep. No one stays on top forever. And eventually, the same will apply to CDPR, the only worry is will this game be the misstep that takes CDPR from where it is now to start a descent to meme level like BioWare and Bethesda are now.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying this game will fail, that I hope it will fail or any other such nonsense. I'm just saying that while extremely unlikely this game will turn out anything less than at least "Good", the small possibility is still there.

you're all over the place with your analogy
How so? People are expecting just because CDPR made one highly successful RPG, they'll automatically replicate that success in another RPG, nevermind nearly everything about the latest RPG is a complete departure from what made the previous entry as popular as it was. Kinda sounds like expecting Julian Edleman to leave the Patriots, join the Warriors and play on the same level as Kevin Durrant just because he's a peak athlete and had great success in another sport.

Yeah it was 75% CDPR and 25% Mike. I guess Mike is there just for the lore which is kinda dissapointing. I was hoping that they would try to make the game similar to P'n'P and with that I mean mainly the freedom of way of doing quests, freedom of doing what you want in the world, freedom of looking however you want, freedom of what you want to be. Was really thinking it could be like P'n'P in digital form because that would be fucking amazing. But I'm ok with any road they take. Well almost.

Yeah it was 75% CDPR and 25% Mike. I guess Mike is there just for the lore which is kinda dissapointing. I was hoping that they would try to make the game similar to P'n'P and with that I mean mainly the freedom of way of doing quests, freedom of doing what you want in the world, freedom of looking however you want, freedom of what you want to be. Was really thinking it could be like P'n'P in digital form because that would be fucking amazing. But I'm ok with any road they take. Well almost.
I think mike is heavily involved what is really good

Top Bottom