Are we over-hyping the game?

+
After the announcement from the games art director that there would only be one apartment, hearing that it's impossible to have a true "human playthrough", getting little to no details about companions or if we'll be able to interact with our favorite characters after the game... I'm starting to question how much of a game there's gonna be outside of the main quest line.

I suppose all the hype came from the possibilities. I was hoping for an RPG where I could do whatever I wanted to in Night City (within reason). It's starting to seem like, either we're rushing them to finish the game or they've decided story takes place over freedom of gameplay.

I don't doubt it'll be one of the best game stories I've ever played through. But, I'm also thinking it's gonna lack in depth once the story's over.

I can't imagine being in this world, having millions, and not being able to buy or customize apartments. I won't say it's killed my hype, but it's making me think more realistically about what to expect. I'd rather set my expectations low and be amazed by what we get than have high expectations and be disappointed.
I'd agree with self-induced overhype. But in the case for apartments for example, the disappointment primarily comes from them first saying it would be possible to own / use several apartments and / or customize them. If they then say it won't be possible and you will get less than that, then it will be perceived as a downgrade and that will obviously result in disappointment on an abstract level.

That's a difference to possibly expecting too much and making up things that were perhaps never really or specifically confirmed.

So one should try to differentiate and in the end, "downgrades" or not, we'll see with release at the latest. But perhaps one should have "grounded expectations", too much and you might get disappointed. But that's a general aspect.
Yes and its better to set the bar low. Too high expectations and you're gonna have a bad day
Yes, Hyping is over doing the hype.

the game will not be what it is in your head.
Each time something we wanted is not in the game we get a little disappointed but it`s a long time before the games comes out so we will get over it . Get on the hype train or get run over by it ;)
We should surely keep that in check. But excepting things that are not over-ambitious isn't exactly toxic, it expresses that you really do care about what they are doing and want it to be as good as it can possibly be.
Having another room for you certainly isn't asking too much, it's a pretty standard thing in open-world games

Edit: But I do really fear, like you, that the open-world is going to be all look, no real substance. I'm prepared to be disappointed on that front
This is exactly what happened with The Witcher 3 on these forums.

And you know what? It was still a really good game. It didn't live up to all the overhype obviously but looking back at it the things we worried about all seem so minor now.

So my advice is: don't overthink the minor things too much, you'll look back at it and think to yourselves it was all just small details. Focus on the bigger picture, there's no perfect game that caters to all your wants and desires. Just enjoy it for what it is.
PLENTY of unrealistic expectations. A lot of people are overhyping the game. Reading some posts, it feels like it has to fulfill wildest dreams...

I personally don't, because I know pretty much what I will get. I'm excited for that, because it's more than enough for me, considering gaming landscape these days.
While disappointment about some things lingers (and will linger), to be fair: Amen.
The one apartment only thread has certainly subdued what i thought the game's story and freedom would be.
Still poor V at the end with his bachelor pad.
...Have you seen some of the expectations people on these forums have for this game? It's overhyped as fuck.

CDPR could deliver on 90% of what people on here are asking for and still have people disappointed.

It's ridiculous.

I could quote lots more posts than just these but I will use these as a good enough example of what I'm talking about. I just want to say that I really don't like depression-fuel threads like these or comments like these because I'm afraid that if you all keep talking about how hype is bad and having hopes and dreams is dangerous or bad, and how maybe we should all just lower our standards so it doesn't hurt so much when it comes out "not what we hoped", I'm very afraid CDPR might get confused and actually listen to you and preemptively lower their standards for the game, to prevent disappointment backlash. This thread is extremely dangerous if CDPR takes it seriously.

Against all odds and fears and "anti-hype-people" I do Declare with great strength and respect and all that good stuff, that I DARE TO HAVE MY CYBER CAKE AND I DO DARE TO EAT IT TOO! I believe that CDPR knows what we care about, and I dare to believe they will make the greatest game we have ever witnessed so far in our lives, and I DARE TO BELIEVE THEY WILL NEVER DUMB IT DOWN OR LOWER THEIR STANDARDS! I BELIEVE IN YOU CDPR! :sneaky:(y) HERE!!!!!!!! CDPR!!!!!! TAKE SOME OF MY ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GHhh just a little further!!!!
HHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EVERYBODY SEND CDPR SOME ENERGY!!!!!!!! THEY NEED OUR HELP!!!! WE WILL NOT FALL TO THE ABYSS OF DEPRESSION AND WE WONT LET CDPR FALL TO IT EITHER!!!!! THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we must send them our energy!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your user image is Goku, from Dragon Ball Z. You don't get my reference? You seem like a huge fan, why would you say that? :(

Probably because people don't scream while lending their energy :shrug:. Interesting... effort though. Still, let's keep it on topic and avoid color spamming lest all that energy draws some unintended sideeffects.

On that note, welcome to the forums!

. I was hoping that they would try to make the game similar to P'n'P and with that I mean mainly the freedom of way of doing quests, freedom of doing what you want in the world, freedom of looking however you want, freedom of what you want to be.
there's just no realistic way to model that at all. its a prepackaged thing, it HAS to be locked down on some level because presently, there's no way to code a digital game master to make judgement calls on things and improvise.

It's more about the feeling of freedom. That you have so many options to choose from. I would say it is doable. The freedom of way of doing quests is there I would say.

It can all be limited but not that much like having 3 activities in game. More options, better feeling of freedom. I don't need 100 activities. But the more there is, the better you feel like you can do whatever you want.

With look they could add more stores with different clothes, weapons (this isn't about looks but also would be great), barbers, and like Ripperdocs are in game. Although we don't know how it is with clothes and weapons. Do we have multiple stores with clothes? Or how do you get clothes? And for weapons there might be just Wilson.

And the what you want to be... that got kinda more limited by the background choice to 3 "classes". Although they are at least doing something big. Maybe another 2 choices would make it better.

It's just that feeling.

Snipped for coherence

Hype, Diminutive of Hyperbole
hyperbole
[hʌɪˈpəːbəli]

NOUN
hyperboles (plural noun)
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
"he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles" · "you can't accuse us of hyperbole"
synonyms: exaggeration · overstatement · magnification · amplification · embroidery · embellishment · overplaying · excess · overkill
· purple prose · puffery
antonyms: understatement

So no, i don't think anything can live up to hype, which is not the same as it not being a great game.

Probably because people don't scream while lending their energy :shrug:. Interesting... effort though. Still, let's keep it on topic and avoid color spamming lest all that energy draws some unintended sideeffects.

On that note, welcome to the forums!
Well, Umm.. When you go Super Saiyan you have to scream really loud and flex muscles so your hair turns yellow and you send the energy to the good guys so they can stop the bad guys. Thank you for welcoming me!
Post automatically merged:

Hype, Diminutive of Hyperbole
So no, i don't think anything can live up to hype, which is not the same as it not being a great game.
Language and its usage is constantly changing in human history, and sometimes different words can be used in different ways that don't have anything to do with their original meaning. I can't say that I don't take CyberPunk2077 seriously because that would be totally dishonest, since I DO very strongly take CyberPunk2077 seriously. What does seriously mean to me? Well, It means in this case that I care very very much about it. I don't hyperbole cyberpunk. I HYPE cyberpunk. I love it. I'm not really interested in playing word games and trying to damage control strange hidden meanings of words that I didn't knowingly or willingly use Lol :D I hope everyone understands the point I'm making, and that the meaning isn't lost. Peace.

Last edited:
sugar rush
There's difference between anti-hype, like you claim it is (misguidedly), and realistic expectations. People can be excited for a game without expecting shooting like in Counter-Strike, RPG mechanics like in Arcanum or TRUE Fallout (1-2), storytelling like in The Last of Us, driving like in Gran Turismo, multiplayer like in <insert here your top MP game of the moment> and so on.

There's difference between anti-hype, like you claim it is (misguidedly), and realistic expectations. People can be excited for a game without expecting shooting like in Counter-Strike, RPG mechanics like in Arcanum or TRUE Fallout (1-2), storytelling like in The Last of Us, driving like in Gran Turismo and so on.
Look, I have nothing against you or anyone who shares your same opinions, but I think we fundamentally disagree, like in our whole paradigm, if I used the word correctly. I respectfully disagree, because I have seen where that thought-path leads, and it never goes somewhere happy, and ends in a self fulfilling prophecy of guaranteed disappointment. I would very much like to avoid that. Peace okay.

Hello! Just a friendly reminder that all views are welcome. Arguments are not personal, so discussing opposing points of view is what it's all about. If anyone is feeling either aggressive or defensive, simply take a break and come back to post later on.

The wonderful thing about forum posts is that they last forever. Unless we have to cover them in marshmallow.

(Fires a single round into the wall. The splotch of white goo it creates is sizeable. Much bigger than expected from such a small-caliber pistol.)

...I'm very afraid CDPR might get confused and actually listen to you and preemptively lower their standards for the game, to prevent disappointment backlash...

No developer in their right mind would ever cut content because their fans didnt think it was 'hyped' enough.

If my expectations are low and the game exceeds those expectations, why would I be pissed? There wouldnt be a backlash.

Backlash occurs when the game fails to meet many peoples expectations. Thats one reason why hyping is bad.

Guest 2364765

By now i imagine CP2077 has the DNF/HL3 syndrome where expectations are blown to extraordinary proportions and it is simply not within any human power to meet all of them.

Even if the game turns to be "just" as good as Witcher 3 or better in a natural-evolutionary way, it will still not be enough to live up to the hype.

Most of the people expect that it's something that has been known to be in development for what now - past 7 years, whilst the iteration we now see is a product of last 3 or so years since last reboot of development. Hype also has been trailing since that first trailer, so yeah - i genuinely believe that there are two scenarios.

One where there is a classic AAA honeymoon period where you can't criticize anything about the game without being massively bashed but once it ends it's mostly just bashing.

Another where there is absolutely no honeymoon and people go outright to saying the game is good or "decent" but nowhere near what they hoped it'd be.

Of course much like everyone i hope for the best but it is not my thing to have rose tinted gloves and don't expect realistic results.

No developer in their right mind would ever cut content because their fans didnt think it was 'hyped' enough.

If my expectations are low and the game exceeds those expectations, why would I be pissed? There wouldnt be a backlash.

Backlash occurs when the game fails to meet many peoples expectations. Thats one reason why hyping is bad.

I agree. And from everything I've ever seen of CDPR, they make decisions about what to include and what to remove based upon how well it can actually be implemented and whether or not it adds anything meaningful in fulfilling their vision for the game.

Just like any film, play, TV show, book, song, etc., a game is a creative piece. It has to have a sense of itself and fulfill its own vision as well as it can. Who likes or dislikes it and how many of each there are is of virtually no concern. Of course, they've chosen to create something that will hold a lot of mass appeal (as opposed to purposefully developing something that would be considered more "niche"), but no matter what they choose to do with it, there will be negative critics. That's just life on Earth.

How well will it do? We'll see!

Will it be better than TW3? Who knows? Tough act to follow. It can certainly be done, though! :cool:

For myself, I intend to enjoy the game based upon what it is...not what I envision it to be in my mind. Nothing is perfect. (Even if I think something is...all I have to do is talk to the next person in line.) That doesn't stop things from being awesome.

I think hype is good if it's deserved, since CDPR is amazing. I think that it's dangerous to intentionally preemptively underhype something out of fear that it will potentially disappoint, because that will create a false atmosphere of hype levels that could possibly lead people (maybe developers) to believe that there is lower hype levels than what there really are, causing them to make different choices. I'm a time traveler from the future and I'm here to warn you all that you created a self fulfilling prophecy and collapsed the time-continuum and the only way to correct the time-line is to be true to yourself and fully self-honest and generate massive-huge amounts of well deserved pure hype energy and think happy thoughts only, and to not believe, but KNOW that the CDPR is making an amazing game because it is their time-mission since they are also time travelers. We must embrace the power of the hype side and go with that flow and tell CDPR we love it and we love them. Never let fear conquer your dreams. John Titor out.

By now i imagine CP2077 has the DNF/HL3 syndrome where expectations are blown to extraordinary proportions and it is simply not within any human power to meet all of them.
Yep.

And this will inevitably lead to many LOUD complaints that the game sux once it's finally released.

"You didn't meet my unobtainable fantasies of perfection!"

Yep.
And this will inevitably lead to many LOUD complaints that the game sux once it's finally released.
"You didn't meet my unobtainable fantasies of perfection!"
Oh come on, Why? Does anyone but me have any faith that CDProjektRed is capable of making a game that is so amazing that we are surprised in a good way? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom