Are Western Developers getting Soft, Do CDPR have the right idea with the Witcher 3?

+
@Phalzyr : Actually, your post is exactly what I deliberately left out of mine, on the first page, cause it differs, country to country. But I agree. It's becoming more and more ridiculous. Let's cut out all natural, case it may be inapropriate for kids, but let's feed them with violence since diapers....oh look, every moron in this country owns a gun. 3yo kids kill their 1y sibling, or parents, or w/e. Clearly the system works...

Sorry for the OT.

One thing that is good to keep in mind - besides the mainstream demographic, there is a big group of ppl like me 30yo+ who started playing games when they were kids, now they have families, jobs., but they still love to play games. I think the industry, or at least part of, should grow with us.

Create a game with.. lets say 50% ideas and whishes from the community and you will rule the genre your game will be. That could be a quote by CDPR seriously.

Just the simple example like Ubisoft. They wanted to bring out ACU on its release date so bad and forced themselves to release it by time. Guess what happened? It was the last game I preordered from ubisoft. And the criticism was immense.

And then look at CDPR: They listen to the fans and the community and even change the release date (okay some ppl are pissed cuz of that but it was necessary) just to bring out the perfect RPG. The story itselve we cant influence. But the way they bring us the game with its combat systems and open world n stuff we can influence. And CDPR are the first (for me) REALLY using this ability to create a game with the opinion, whishes and ideas of the community and fans.

Respect to that ! :cheers:

Last edited:
American developers are against putting nudity in their games, but when it comes to gore and violence they turn that to eleven
That is not because the developers don't want to do it, in and of itself. It because of how it is seen in the public eye. As I mentioned nudity is frowned upon by the rating system and pubic view in general. (not the actual public themselves but the ones who censor it)

I think the industry, or at least part of, should grow with us.
+1 I don't and never will have my own family but old enough to... (My wife can't have children) The American Rating/censorship was created long ago by the purists but hasn't change much since then (that I'm aware of) It hasn't grown with us and thus developers that want to sale to the masses here must dull down certain aspects or be labeled... An M-rated game with violence is perceived differently than an M-rated game with nudity... Parents do to this stigma that hangs around it will allow their kids to buy violent games but not sexually themed games. Some developers here don't care about that, but most do...

People see nudity and sexual themes just as soon and often before major violence (maybe not sex itself but other parts). Also they see those IRL not just on TV (though I guess if you live in a bad neighborhood you might see major crime, I didn't ;) )

Can you seriously say a child seeing a nipple or romance or even sex, is worse than them seeing someone beheading another person? Whether they understand it or not? Though if they don't understand the sexual part they simply won't think anything of it whereas that doesn't apply the other way around.

You beat me to it trying to form a response without sounding to... Hopefully the above doesn't offend...

you both are wrong in interpreting what I said. I was being suggestive in my language so perhaps reading between the lines gets lost in translation with this language barrier here.

I'm not saying seeing a nipple or romance is worse than seeing violence ... but in the context that it happens does matter. I would rather much a child see a Rapist getting beheaded than to see a Rapist sexually assaulting someone. I know my example provided right there is an extreme, but I am trying to throw some perspective into the mix here.

Caspartine said A) not true and then B) not related to what I posted ...

I honestly don't know what ur saying is untrue by what I said. Violence is first and more easily understood to a child ... this is correct because a child will more than likely encounter something we call "PAIN" in this life and come to understand it. Violence is a provider of this feeling most normal children call PAIN ... so it makes pure LOGICAL sense that a child will understand Violence and it's meaning a lot more readily than say .... sexual themes. I will be blunt here since it seems u guys didn't understand my suggested saying; a boy isn't going to have a boner at the age of 5 years old ... unless he is some kind of special case, it's just not going to happen ... and he isn't going to accidentally trip over and stick his dick into a vagina either and know what the feeling of "PLEASURE" is. But, he will trip and fall and learn PAIN ... and know he can inflict this thing called PAIN through violence. As children (most children, I hope) are taught to control their urges of violence and sustain from them.

Now ... sexual things, u may see them when u are younger, but u don't understand them, you don't know why or how because there still is a majority of it that is hidden from you. You aren't exposed to a fully erect penis, you don't know the feeling of pleasure and the LAST THING you want is children, under age, not even hit puberty yet, to start grabbing at their cock and trying to play with it, toy with it; sticking it in shit that could be dangerous for them when they have no idea what the f it does yet. I agree on the nipple showing and stuff, I think showing nipples is not really sexually suggestive at all ... we all fed from our mother's breasts.

And to the part that it did not relate to what I quoted .... If you fail to see how it related ... then I honestly don't know what to say. You clearly missed what the man was trying to say about how society deems it ok for violence but not ok for sexual things when it comes to categorizing things as Adult/mature and not.

@rotcevantys : I understand what you're saying. And yes, what you say has it's logic. But how is it connected to the fact, that from a (mainly US) society POV it is ok to show infants excessive violence, but not themes related to intimacy and sexuality. You say because kids understand one of these sooner than the other. I say - so we shove it up their throats? Is it less harmfull then?

Anyway, back on track - now that I think of mass effect or Dragon age series, there's plenty of sex, actually. What I find hilarious is again the way it is shown. The game basically tells you, and gives you the option to bang anyone. Male, female, alien, whatever you like. The way it works with this subject is due to lack of any actual intimacy quite ridiculous.

Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8-5Fn_6XY

This is beyond ridiculous. It's grotesque. It's supposed to be funny, but is it?

Last edited:
TW3 is NOT for kids, end of story.
I should be even more adult than GTA5, well I hope it is ;)

Last edited:
...from a (mainly US) society POV it is ok to show infants excessive violence, but not themes related to intimacy and sexuality...

Moderator: The moderators have taken notice that members posting in this thread have occasionally attributed certain hypocritical positions to particular countries. That has no place on this forum. If you want this discussion to continue, the tolerable number of such comments is ZERO.

Moderator: The moderators have taken notice that members posting in this thread have occasionally attributed certain hypocritical positions to particular countries. That has no place on this forum. If you want this discussion to continue, the tolerable number of such comments is ZERO.

Noted and agreed. It wasn't really my intension to digress this way in the first place, as I explained.

I don't think the proper term to call it is "soft" but rather many developers to me feels to have lost a passion for creativity lately. What has happened to those good old days when YOU know that a game you're playing is truly something special and unique? There's been far faaar too much streamlining to which i call nothing short of laziness in regards to how games are made recently plus how many of these mainstream titles end up being suffocated by these DLC additions

@caspartine I agree with you on the issue of intimacy and american culture. but if we were here to criticize american culture when it comes to acceptance of intimacy and closeness in Pop media/culture we could be talking for hours agreeing on everything. But generally we are not ok with showing our kids grotesque violence, at least in my family. Most movies we were allowed to watch when we were young had violence, but it wasn't the bloody type; more just fist fights n what not. And when it comes to rated M games, generally those are age restricted as well to the same degree irregardless of the sexual content involved. Biggest factor violence is the amount of blood shown and decapitation. I assure you; most parents don't let their children play the overly gory grotesque games. No Diablo for little kids (unless they go around their parents). But realistically, a lot of american culture is culture from around the world; a lot of populations from around the world have a great taboo on Sexual themes and do everything they can for children to be sheltered from that idea and themes. Like myself, my parents are from Pakistan so they always covered my eyes; but i have seen other families that have been here for generations and they don't cover their kids eyes at all (when it comes to sexual themes), but do when there is grotesque violence.

@ Phalzyr I am only merely trying to explain from a psychological standpoint on why sexual themes can be more restricted than violent ones by bringing in the reference of understanding the bodily feelings/sensations from it. Pain we know much earlier than pleasure. We are taught not to hit other people just because we are angry; and then when our body matures and we learn pleasure, then we are taught not to act on our sexual urges without permission/protection. Hence why violence comes before sexual themes.

Last edited:
I don't think the proper term to call it is "soft" but rather many developers to me feels to have lost a passion for creativity lately. What has happened to those good old days when YOU know that a game you're playing is truly something special and unique? There's been far faaar too much streamlining to which i call nothing short of laziness in regards to how games are made recently plus how many of these mainstream titles end up being suffocated by these DLC additions

Agreed, and it isn't just western or even game makers that fallen into this lately... Or could just be I've become accustomed to everything that everything seem less creative :p

CDPR is one of the few devs left who can place artful prose next to the crudest dialog and make both shine. It's when I heard Zoltan and Geralt discussing the meaning of life that I knew I'd found something special.

[video=youtube;L0Xh_oeQ2-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Xh_oeQ2-E[/video]

Or could just be I've become accustomed to everything that everything seem less creative :p

you're not. There is no excuse for a big anticipated titles such as Destiny and DA:I to have that level of "quest" design if you can even call it that.
The fact that DA:I is what won GOTY should be alarming when it comes to setting a standard of quality.

Last edited:
you're not. There is no excuse for a big anticipated titles such as Destiny and DA:I to have that level of "quest" design if you can even call it that.
The fact that DA:I is what won GOTY should be alarming when it comes to setting a standard of quality.

Am completely happy that I didn't get DA:I now :).

Am completely happy that I didn't get DA:I now :).

I skipped out because of the horrible M+K controls I heard. Glad I didn't waist my money.

@Xvenger Yes I get the feeling that it just about making money not about making a good game that also sales well.

OP: Yes more so from western, but unfortunately most in general regardless of location. It's pretty bad when you chose to replay 5-10 year old games, and many newer games sit on the shelf virtually unplayed...

Could the expansion of digital means be partly to blame for this growth of lack of quality?

The thing which throwss me off the most in Skyrim is
1. The storytelling, but you already mentioned that.
2. The Combat system. It lacks any depth and is extremely easy, I dont like it.
Otherwise a good game, but these things always annoyed me.

Witcher 3 seems to be worlds better in both things.
Hype.

So I am going to cast my 2 cents into this thread so to speak.

Western Developers and publishers are going with the safe bets. They are afraid to take risks.
There are an handful of western developers and publishers that are taking risks and making making more money than they know what to do with because people like new things and innovation.

Here are a few that you should support as they are taking risks and innovating in the games space. Please note that this is not a Definitive list. But a list of things that just came to my mind.

Stardock - Makes RTS and Turn Based Strategy games. They also make Start 8 and Start 10
MEK entertainment - Makers of Voxelnauts
ArtCraft Entertainment - Makers of the MMO Crowfall
Technical Illusions - Makers of the CastAR an Augmented reality gaming headset.

I strongly think that the CD Project Red fits under the banner of companies that innovate in the games space.

Top Bottom