Are Witchers better to use over Crones in consume list?

+
Are Witchers better to use over Crones in consume list?

The main difference between Crones and Witcher is 3 points of str and the row. Crones are siege, while Witchers are melee. If you're planning to get the consume engine started you'll probably play Vran next to those units. Yet Vran on melee is way better then Vran on siege, as Vran on melee can consume nekker warriors and nekkers after he's done eating 3 muster units. Also one of the strategies to stop consume engine is hurting the Brewess by 2-3 points and then Igni the whole row of 6s, with witchers on melee row your siege row is immune to igni even if you have 3 Behemoths.

The list in the link is me using witchers and with it i jumped from 3.6k mmr to 4.5k in 5 hours with 83% win. Thoughts?

In a meta where ST (and, by extension, Scorch) is prevalent, the Witcher variant is definitely a worthy option to consider for the reasons you mention.

Still, I believe both Witchers and Crones are inferior to the list running the following silvers: Giant Toad, Katakan, Old Speartip, KoB, Operator and Alzur's Double-Cross. I find that list more consistent, it's the one I currently run at 5150~

Nimraphel;n8525630 said:
In a meta where ST (and, by extension, Scorch) is prevalent, the Witcher variant is definitely a worthy option to consider for the reasons you mention.

Still, I believe both Witchers and Crones are inferior to the list running the following silvers: Giant Toad, Katakan, Old Speartip, KoB, Operator and Alzur's Double-Cross. I find that list more consistent, it's the one I currently run at 5150~

That's a very interesting list. Isnt it problematic that KoB is conflicting between Speartip and Katakan when nekkers are above 4 str? Like in consume mirror you might really want that Speartip to punish his spiders, but pull a dead katakan?

I generally don't experience that a lot; it's unusual not to have either of them on hand, but yeah, you have to be cautious and gamble if you absolutely need it and are in that situation. However, contrary to Grave Hag variant (which often includes Crones/Witchers), he isn't such a key card. Usually through clever use of the engine you ought to be able to manage

One of the guys at the Challenger finals was running witchers to move strength off the siege row due to a few of the decks being expected to run rain as a counter. I find that the extra stats from crones are frequently worthwhile since Gigni is easily addressable by Ekimmara, Giant Toad, and more preferable targets such as big Vrans. They also have the benefit of adding space between the Behemoths vs Radodaddy.

Good game tonight btw Nimraphel

IAxiiYourMother;n8541620 said:
One of the guys at the Challenger finals was running witchers to move strength off the siege row due to a few of the decks being expected to run rain as a counter. I find that the extra stats from crones are frequently worthwhile since Gigni is easily addressable by Ekimmara, Giant Toad, and more preferable targets such as big Vrans. They also have the benefit of adding space between the Behemoths vs Radodaddy.

I've never really worried about G:igni on the backrow when running Crones, but versus Scoia'tael, it only takes one archer to align your two other Crones + Behemoth(s) into Scorch range, unless you pull a Toad or the like, and I generally disliked that.

I prefer using neither Crones nor Witchers myself, opting instead for the Operator / Katakan / Speartip variant; Operator and Katakan help the ST match-up immensely, and Speartip is crucial in the mirror. Furthermore, Speartip can often be used for clutch removal vs. NR if you couple it with weather.

You lose a bit of initial tempo with the variant, but I've generally never found tempo to be a problem as Consume monster due to the first consumption spawning 4 Arachas.

IAxiiYourMother;n8541620 said:
Good game tonight btw Nimraphel

Indeed, good game :)

Nimraphel;n8525630 said:

many thanks for sharing your silver list. have played about 10 casual (testing/practice) matches with the changes and it's easy to see the difference. witchers/crones are still viable of course but the changes you suggested give a lot more options imo.

will be interesting to see how open beta will change things, but till then I have a new consume deck to climb some ranks this weekend.

thx again

I was playing with chrones but they are very risky to keep in round 2 and 3. i changed to earth elemental + katakan

Well, at the moment I don't see a good reason why a monster player would choose Witchers over Crones. Maybe I overlooked something.

Wolfiwumi;n8714510 said:
crones are awesome. but so are witchers

Witchers are complete trash. 16 points is not nearly worth the 3 silver slots and some bad mulligans are unavoidable as well.

Open beta changed the whole silver list by the look of things... crones are great for deck thinning in general, and it's a quick 20 if you play it late in the round. Witchers at 16 is just not that great when a mirror can achieve that if you run a weak monster deck

Top Bottom