Are you doing your CYBERPUNK READING homework, kids?

+

Would you be interested in participating in a cyberpunk bookclub?

• Yes

Votes: 38 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters
^ Well, he maybe imagined it this way but he certainly didn't write it and describe it. The novel doesn't give cyberpunk vibes, it doesn't describe the advanced, neon city, the characters dressed the way they are in the movie. Actually, novel is very sparse on descriptions, and the suburbs ARE post-apocalyptic the way they are written- the terminal war and it's effects, the dust.. are very prominent in novel, not so much in the movie. They are just different in many ways, not only plot wise. And Ridley Scott actually didn't read the novel, so Blade Runner is mostly his vision..

Last edited:
I haven't started with the cyberpunk reading yet, but I've been asking around for recommendations. This thread will be useful. :)

I would be cool if in Cyberpunk 2077 you good read actual Cyberpunk books from the real world with a mixture of CD project red lore in it.

Not a massive fan of the Cyberpunk theme if I am totally honest, I prefer medieval stuff so i'll just wait for the game to be released. If it wasn't CDPR making it I am not sure I would even be buying it tbh.

It's a bit early, but discussions of Neuromancer are fair game now. It's late for me so I'll see you in the morning (or early afternoon).

I'll leave you with this thought though. Gibson wrote Neuromancer on a typewriter at a time when 3 Mb of memory in a computer was nearly impossible (my own Commodore PET only had 4k at that time), yet he still managed to create two worlds, one real and one virtual, in under 300 pages. This book is a treasure of imagination.

The thing about Neruomancer and Gibson's writing in general is that it's so linguistically dense. In the first two chapters of the book (Chiba City Blues) we're introduced to a number of characters, all of whom are brought to life in a few very descriptive lines.

Case, the main protagonist, is a former cyberspace cowboy who skimmed from a former employer, who then destroyed his nervous system making it impossible to jack into the net. Since then he's been working in the Chiba prefecture in an area called Night City *ahem* as a fence and deal broker. He's desperate to get fixed and back to the net, but it hasn't been working and now he's on a singular path to self destruction.

Ratz is the owner of the Chat (Chatsubo) Case's local and is a former soldier and Gibson makes a point in describing his rough Eastern European prosthetics, so already we can infer something about the past and character of Ratz. Ratz lets Case know that Wade, the man Case deals with, is looking to have Case killed because of some debt, so we know Ratz has a soft spot for Case.

We also learn about Case's former girlfriend, Linda Lee. She fits the typical nihilistic punk girl of the early 80s, but she's also a drug addict. While they enjoy each other's company for a while, neither Case nor Linda are very attached to the other.

And then there's Molly. Case is paranoid enough already, but his use of 'dex' (possibly a derivative of dextromethorphan), make him even more so. When Case discovers he is being followed he bolts and through a short chase we glimpse Molly with her chrome covered eyes and her deadly skills.

Gibson, in introducing us to the characters and the world they live in, also creates what is essentially a new language. This is one of the key complaints many first time reads of Gibson have. Gibson doesn't hold your hand or help you along. You either 'get it' and get if fast, or you don't. If you don't you're left far behind and bewildered and he doesn't care. He just keeps the prose and the new language going. It's a lot like being dumped in a country where you don't speak the language and left to either find a way to get yourself understood. Or not. I've often said Gibson was more half a linguist than an author.

I can tell you, that reading this for the first time in 1984, was a revelation. It spoke to the heart of the social and political climate of the time with Thatcherism and Reaganism and the way big companies were really starting to take over. It was also the year that Apple introduced the Macintosh, which was a huge leap for computing ease for the average user.

For me, Neuromancer hit all the right buttons at the right time. After years of reading about clean spaceships and super advanced technology that was wonderful, here was a story set in a reality I could see happening. I could feel it as a real possibility. It was a scary possibility, sure, but if you had enough guts and enough brains and enough luck, you could find a place in it. And that was rather comforting.

The thing about Neruomancer and Gibson's writing in general is that it's so linguistically dense.... Gibson, in introducing us to the characters and the world they live in, also creates what is essentially a new language. This is one of the key complaints many first time reads of Gibson have. Gibson doesn't hold your hand or help you along. You either 'get it' and get if fast, or you don't. If you don't you're left far behind and bewildered and he doesn't care. He just keeps the prose and the new language going. It's a lot like being dumped in a country where you don't speak the language and left to either find a way to get yourself understood. Or not. I've often said Gibson was more half a linguist than an author.

I used to think that until I found Neal Stephenson. Though not cyberpunk, the third act of Anathem felt like an eggbeater to the brain.

I think one's writing style can affect one's opinion of their work. I don't mean that in regards to the quality of their writing either. That's why a lot of Gibson's work has been a bit hard on me even though he is technically competent and has many great ideas in his works. There's more to a book than one's fluency and creativity.

I used to think that until I found Neal Stephenson. Though not cyberpunk, the third act of Anathem felt like an eggbeater to the brain.
I've read Stephenson, but not Anathem, so I can't comment.

I think one's writing style can affect one's opinion of their work. I don't mean that in regards to the quality of their writing either. That's why a lot of Gibson's work has been a bit hard on me even though he is technically competent and has many great ideas in his works. There's more to a book than one's fluency and creativity.
This is absolutely true. Some author's style doesn't sit well with some readers. There have been several authors books that people say are great, but I found them dull and turgid. Gibson may be one of the most difficult writers to read easily. His style doesn't lend itself to flowing prose. He uses a lot of jargon and made up words to get his point across that can make you stop mid-sentence and think what?

I would say Count Zero is an easier book to read than Neuromancer, but that may be more to do with the fact that a reader is more familiar with the world Gibson has made than anything else.

Top Bottom