Arena progression depending on your starting deck

+
Hi everyone. It will be great to share experience playing in Arena with focus on initial deck strength.

I analysed all my games, and in essence, if I have more bronze cards than gold, the likelihood of reaching the end by winning a total of 9 games is extremely slim. And on the flip, if I am lucky to draw say 20 golds and 6 bronzes, I will probably reach at least game 8. Scatter of deck strength seems to be too wide since the outcome depends so much on your starting deck. A possible solution would be to have a max of 15 gold or 15 bronze cards, e.g. if you already drawn 15 golds you only start drawing bronzes, and vice versa. This would level the pitch a bit.

Another minor observation: cards are picked by random generator, right? There are more bronze cards than gold, yet in most cases I usually have more golds. Does the game favour gold cards more, so that the players have more exciting decks?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I’d to hear about your experience playing in Arena with focus on initial deck strength.

I analysed all my games, and in essence, if I have more bronze cards than gold, the likelihood of reaching the end by winning a total of 9 games is extremely slim. And on the flip, if I am lucky to draw say 20 golds and 6 bronzes, I will probably reach at least game 8. Scatter of deck strength seems to be too wide since the outcome depends so much on your starting deck. A possible solution would be to have a max of 15 gold or 15 bronze cards, e.g. if you already drawn 15 golds you only start drawing bronzes, and vice versa. This would level the pitch a bit.

Another minor observation: cards are picked by random generator, right? There are more bronze cards than gold, yet in most cases I usually have more golds. Does the game favour gold cards more, so that the players have more exciting decks?

I don't have a single answer to give you, exept that you are not the only one adressing unbalanced decks in Arena mode, or more specifficaly the inability to retry if you are not happy with your first deck.
There must be an algorithm that allocates golds and bronzes in a more or less equal amount, but game mechanics are often hard to comprehend, as I haven't found out a place to check for comprehensive knowledge about how draws, mulligans, damagae distribution... works (Someone point it out if there is pls.)

Personally I like the randomness of Arena, as I play it very casually and find it interesting how people combine given cards.
Yesterday got obliterated by a Defender+Sukrus combo and I had no movement and no purify. It sucked, but it was a fun game. CDPR have said that they are working on Arena though, so we will likely see some changes in the near future.
Post automatically merged:

Hi everyone. I’d to hear about your experience playing in Arena with focus on initial deck strength.

Off topic [Sorry Moderators!], have you ever seen this guy on youtube?

Real close to your avatar.

I don't have a single answer to give you, exept that you are not the only one adressing unbalanced decks in Arena mode, or more specifficaly the inability to retry if you are not happy with your first deck.
I am not complaining. Arena is the most fun I had in Gwent for the last half a year. I really like the surprise factor in decks and uncommon synergies between cards of various factions. And compared to classic Gwent Arena mode is the most balanced. I am trying to push through even with an unlucky draw, so my only small wish is that the drawn decks are not too far between each other in total power, as one might agree, it is more or less correlated with the number of golds (or conversely the card cost).

I believe that the Arena mode is rather pointless. You are given an almost random deck, often with cards you do not have and have never played before. More often than not these cards have zero synergy with other cards and it simply become an exercise of slamming cards on the board.
In my opinion the mode should be scrapped or completely re-designed.
What there should be instead is a training mode. You could play against other people or the computer without any rewards. The big difference is that in this mode, all the cards should be available to deck-build. In this way the players will play-test new ideas and become familiar with all cards and combos. Regardless of whether you own those cards or not.
Then, we would be much more inclined to craft these new cards when we return to our normal deck-building because we would have actually used them in a carefully constructed game setting, rather than a random one.

Guest 4368268

Deck building in Arena used to be one of my favourite things to do. But with the current leader abilities that each really work only with a small percentage of the card pool and the awkward Syndicate cards plastered throughout, it's just become very irritating. My experience is generally the same, meet new players the first 5/6 games and smash them and then get destroyed by someone with something crazy like 3 Wild Boards in deck. :ok:The mode needs an overhaul imo. I like your suggestion of a set cap of bronze/golds but they also need to introduce something like Arena specific leader abilities.

I believe that the Arena mode is rather pointless. You are given an almost random deck, often with cards you do not have and have never played before. More often than not these cards have zero synergy with other cards and it simply become an exercise of slamming cards on the board.
It feels that way sometimes, but just sometimes. Most of the time, based on the cards you have drawn so far you could consider synergies and sometimes create very interesting combinations that are not possible with one-faction decks.

nehu

Forum regular
i just met really broken combo

whoresons freak show + yoana

two cards destroyed all my units in one turn, infinite combo

1. wfs did damage, received damage and gave charge to yoana

2. yoana healed whoreson

3. back to point 1.

won game lost in the most dumb way

Last edited:

nehu

Forum regular
it wasnt in arena, but the weirdest game i had in last seasonal vs 4 damiens (2 starting + 2 letho copies) and tactical withdrawal leader

that guy each single turn used 3 times leaders ability and 4th damien to refill it for next turn

at end of the round he withdraw all damiens...

Last edited:
Top Bottom