Arena rewards

+
Hi all,
This has already been discussed here and there but I wanted to make a post to try and get arena reworked just enough to be more rewarding.
I think the change to select leader at the beginning was a very good one. Some leaders/cards are almost unplayable, at least now you can try to get some synergies through the draw.

Now as for the rewards, I think it doesn't really invite players to spend time in the arena.
First of all, as already suggested by a lot of players, I also believe it would be nice that the arena wins count toward the daily rewards. I don't really understand why this is not the case, especially since now, with the seasonal, you can already get them outside of classic mode.
Second are the rewards per say. You never get more than a keg. Problem is as you go further, you get more scrap/powder/ore. But when people go in the arena and pay 150 ore to get 1 keg and 50 ore in reward, it is a bit underwhelming compared to just go and buy a keg at 100... Also, make it a random keg, not just the basic one.
My suggestion would be to remove the ore as a reward but increase the possibility of additional kegs along with victory counter. Reward points, also now possible to get through daily quests, could be a nice addition as rewards.

I think something like the possibility to receive 1-3 RP, either randomly like the other ones or by increment of 3 wins seems like a good motivation. Additional kegs would be easily to implement as well: just convert the gold usually won in kegs.

I believe this would make arena much more popular and also drive players to try more to get further. I like arena, but I'm personally at a point where gold doesn't really matter to me so I would launch an arena run, and if the draw doesn't fit, or if I get one loss in the early games (meaning in the first 6 usually), I would instantly forfeit seeing that the rewards don't really matter. If RP or additional kegs were awarded, I would push forward even with 2 losses in the first couple of games to try and get at least 1 RP :shrug: It's not a huge reward but once contracts become harder to achieve, RP are scarcer and arena is just not worth it, unless for the fun of it.

What do you guys think? I'm not really talking about balanced or specific rewards here, just throwing a few ideas in the air and hope some may catch CDPR's attention :ok:

To be fair daily quests and daily reward points should be achievable through arena, that is actually the reason I don't touch arena anymore.
Usually a run (of 6-7 wins) takes a similar amount of time to just getting the daily rewards in ranked.
Given that I have limited time that means there is no point in me investing time in arena if it neither is self replenishing, nor helping me to advance my collection in any notable way.

Not sure if I'm with the majority, but with the lack of balance, Arena becomes more and more attractive as the only playable(and enjoyable) mode in Gwent.
What I don't get are the measly rewards for spending time there. They are completely uncomparble with the other 2 modes (ranked/seasonal)
My suggestion is to allow the daily round wins to count in the arena too.

Not sure if I'm with the majority, but with the lack of balance, Arena becomes more and more attractive as the only playable(and enjoyable) mode in Gwent.
What I don't get are the measly rewards for spending time there. They are completely uncomparble with the other 2 modes (ranked/seasonal)
My suggestion is to allow the daily round wins to count in the arena too.
They are working on a big arena overhaul for this year so there won't be changes until that happens I think. There were talk of even specific arena leader abilities, etc. Let's see!

Hmmm, I think, especially since player base is not big, they don't want to make other modes worth too much. Dead Arena is probably slowly dying Gwent. Dead classic mode, is dead gwent.

Outside of this, I believe prize is ok, but would be nice to do daily crown on the arena.

Hmmm, I think, especially since player base is not big, they don't want to make other modes worth too much. Dead Arena is probably slowly dying Gwent. Dead classic mode, is dead gwent.

Outside of this, I believe prize is ok, but would be nice to do daily crown on the arena.
And reward points maybe. Or increase number of kegs as you go. Point is getting back ore in Arena is not that useful and there is no incentive to keep playing to the end when you start with losses. If I was to be given let's say 1 reward point after 3 wins, 3 at 6 and 5 at 9, I would still try to go as far as possible with a deck that I know won't go to the end.

How about being able to pick from, say, 3 prize options (calibrated to your number of wins like now) when you complete your Arena run? Each could emphasise a different blend of currencies so that the player could choose the one that they preferred, e.g. more ore, more scraps or more powder.

The bonus prize of a legendary card that you get for 9 wins should stay, but could maybe be improved by allowing you to choose 1 from 3 options, like you do with the final card choice when opening a keg. That would also make it more appealing. It would also be nice if the small chance for any of the 3 cards to be premium existed too, as per the current keg mechanic.

I haven't given this a great deal of thought, but my quick suggestion for a relatively simple upgrade to the current prize system could go as follows -
  • Number of wins determines currency amount ranges (as now).
  • Every run earns you a keg (as now).
  • 9 wins earns you a legendary card (as now).
  • When your Arena run ends, you select which type of keg you'd like from all available types, except premium ones.
  • You then select 1 prize pack of varied currency from 3 options, each blend favouring a different main currency (scraps / ore / powder). Amounts of each currency based on number of wins.
  • If you had 9 wins, you then choose 1 from 3 random legendary cards (from all non-starter sets).
  • For a 9-0 run, the keg could be upgraded to a premium version and/or the legendary card choices could all be premium, but to be honest, I think that would be too generous and would make a lucky draft even more important than it is now (the draft mechanism also needs a serious overhaul, incidentally!)
  • Reward points still aren't won as prizes from Arena, but Arena round wins count towards dailies.

I did wonder about the idea of earning "Arena Reward Points", based on your progress in the Arena run, which could then be spent in an Arena specific reward book or shop, but on reflection I think that is probably unnecessarily complicated and too similar to the rest of the Gwent reward system. Arena should probably stay more like the current "lucky dip" prize style, just with some improvements.

Top Bottom