Armor in the W3

+
Well it is cool to give players the option and not every "Geralt" will be a "100 percent like he is in the books" kinda Geralt or you wouldn't be able to make decision in any of the Witcher games.

Gambeson and maille is heavier than plate btw, and is more constrictive.

Plate only requires a light arming doublet, with maille reinforce only needed on early partial plate, and then it can be confined to the joint areas only.

Attachments

• nolan-dec-2.gif
    nolan-dec-2.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 117
I'm do not like this specific heavy armor from the trailer, but in general Armor with some plate elements are quite nice.
Geralt from the books argument works for some here - for me it does not ;)
I like my own Geralt and he gonna wear the armor that does look badass

In a historical setting (which I'm sure the Witcher series takes a few notes from) heavy armor was for the wealthy and noble. Heavy armor is to save your life from potentially life-threatening stabs, slashes etc. Chainmail and gamebson were for the commoners and less wealthier people, who could not afford a full set of platemail.

Yes the Witcher is meant to be agile and fast, but wouldn't wearing heavy armor be actually be more effective in battle regardless of how fast you are? Potentially, I would be able to deal the same amount of damage with heavy armor but ALSO take less damage.

I think it looks really stupid but I can see why people did it. So much vitriol was directed at CDProjekt Red in earlier Witcher games by idiots who didn't understand the lore saying stuff like "Why can't I play as a girl" "Why can't I play as an archer" "Why cant I use an axe" "Why can't I have plate mail". We should blame the Skyrim generation for this and just not use heavy armor if you're a big lore buff like a lot of us here are.

Nope, heavy armor doesn't fit any witcher at all. It's good that there is variety in the game however and nobody is forced to were it. Just like the crossbow I hope will not be using.

As long as it has a noticeable downside in gameplay (slower movement, dodging, higher stamina drain) and makes Geralt constantly complain while wearing it ("co ja tu kurwa robię?!") I'm OK with the option to wear heavy armor.

Holy shit people are nitpicky as hell aren't they? First thing you go on Neogaf regarding this trailer and I see people bitching about how the LOD trees are bad when zoomed in the trailer and it's all about #GrassGateGate

Then I come here and see people complaining "waaah...Geralt isn't supposed to wear full plate!"..c'mon guys..we all know they decided to go with light/medium/heavy armors for more variety and gamey`ness. No one tells you to use armor and I bet no one will except those who want to go a tank build and face tank monsters with minimal dodging (and you guys KNOW there's gonna be THAT person that will bitch about it "why can't I wear full plate? I just wanna tank the hits instead of dodging all the time").

Just like other weapons compared to swords..you CAN use them, but they won't be as effective...same here.

It's nice to have the option there.

Last edited:
As long as it has a noticeable downside in gameplay (slower movement, dodging, higher stamina drain) and makes Geralt constantly complain while wearing it ("co ja tu kurwa robię?!") I'm OK with the option to wear heavy armor.

The devs showed in the latest stream that the heavy armour have higher stamina drain which you can counter if you want. Personally I want to see an armour like in TW1 that was my all time favourite. I will go for the light and maybe for the medium, it depends how theese will looks.

View attachment 13628

In this world magic armor exists, and is not uncommon. Your argument is so horrible I cant help but roll my eyes.

I exaggerated my point for a purpose. So keep rolling your eyes.

In this world magic armor exists, and is not uncommon.
Source please.

The fact is Witcher world is not fantasy like LoTR, Dragon Age or other high/mixed fantasy. It's a dark/low fantasy, connected to the real world as much as possible, the key word being "believability".
While many things in the Witcher series are not realistic - they make sense in the context and are explained. Like sword on the back. It's not realistic (or at least very uncomfortable), but it is explained, that Geralt uses a special technique to draw his sword from the back.

Witcher in plate armor makes no sense and cannot be explained (no "magical armor" will not do - never heard of magical armors in the series, besides Geralt can barely afford a normal jacket in the books), because

1. Witchers rely on speed and agility - they are monster hunters and plate armor would not protect you from most of the blows made by a bigger creatures.
2. There is no sense using it then, because it tires you and restricts your movement for barely any gain in defense.
3. It is expensive and hard to repair/replace.
4. Makes noise when moving.

So basically you gain barely anything, for losing any advantage Witcher has. It just makes no sense and is unnecessary.
I understand you need variety and many good looking armors in such a huge game, but Witcher 2 has many cool looking armors without making Geralt can of beans.

Last edited:
I exaggerated my point for a purpose. So keep your rolling your eyes.

Source please.

The fact is Witcher world is not fantasy like LoTR, Dragon Age or other high/mixed fantasy. It's a dark/low fantasy, connected to the real world as much as possible, the key word being "believability".
While many things in the Witcher series are not realistic - they make sense in the context and are explained. Like sword on the back. It's not realistic (or at least very uncomfortable) it is explained, that Geralt uses a special technique to draw his sword from the back.

Witcher in plate armor makes no sense and cannot be explained (no "magical armor" will not do - never heard of magical armors in the series, besides Geralt can barely afford a normal jacket in the books), because

1. Witchers rely on speed and agility - they are monster hunters and plate armor would not protect you from most of the blows made by a bigger creatures.
2. There is no sense using it then, because it tires you and restricts your movement for barely any gain in defense.
3. It is expensive and hard to repair/replace.
4. Makes noise when moving.

So basically you gain barely anything, for losing any advantage Witcher has. It just makes no sense and is unnecessary.
I understand you need variety and many good looking armors in such a huge game, but Witcher 2 has many cool looking armors without making Geralt can of beans.

W3 stays an RPG, not everything that is in the books is in the games. CDPR does their on thing, of course taking the books as a basis, but nevertheless a basis just stays a basis. Some lore-fans can just use only leather armor. Other can use plate armor, just because from a physical standpoint it's a useful thing.

In the books Geralt doesn't buy many swords, nor does he change many amors, but everything this (even if excluding heavy armor) was done by the players.

Geralt from the books, does not have to be Geralt from game (of course you can play him like this, but you don't have to, THAT'S the sense of an non-linear RPG)

To be fair, even some of the armours in TW2 were a bit too much for me. That plate chestpiece in the latest trailer hurt my heart a little bit, though. Especially when I think back to TW1 and how much of a fuss they made about Raven's armour being strong without having impact on agility, since witchers don't employ heavy armour that restricts movement. I get it's an open world and they want to have variety etc. thus the crossbows and the heavy armours but... doesn't mean I have to like it :p It just seems to me like it goes against all they (and Sapkowski) have built up witchers to be.

Meh, at least I'll be able to not use any of that, but I'm not too fond of how some very basic lore gets compromised, when it's that same lore that makes the witcher stand out for me.

Last edited:
I can't say I share the same feeling, because I'm new to the series. I do love all the armours, some are ugly who cares most of em look pretty damn good. I have watched some gameplay and the ending of the witcher 1 and 2 though because I never played them. Witcher 3 I'm sure will be pretty awesome.

I've got absolutely no problem with devs giving me many different choices regarding many different things. Such as choice of armour for instance. ^_^
Will I favour it? Don't know until I've compared it to light and medium armour. Am I going to try it out? Hell yes!
Player choice:)victory:)! ^_^

Top Bottom