Armor in the W3

+
Heavy armors are not something witchers used so I find them pretty useless, I just hope majority of armors are light, Geralt was a quick master swordsman, not some knight trapped in a can.

Lore wise "witcher armors" should be rather uncommon. I see no reason to exclude normal armors that are most common in the game world and if they are there so should they be in the gameplay.

Secondly other Witcher schools didn't necessarily have the same style nor philosophy. Still if you go for a battle like in siege of LaVallets it would be actually reasonable for Geralt to wear a full plate. There could be no place for dogging and agility. The thing Geralt discovered battling on Yaruga bridge. If he had to do fight of that kind it make sense.

Last edited:
W3 stays an RPG, not everything that is in the books is in the games. CDPR does their on thing, of course taking the books as a basis, but nevertheless a basis just stays a basis. Some lore-fans can just use only leather armor. Other can use plate armor, just because from a physical standpoint it's a useful thing.

In the books Geralt doesn't buy many swords, nor does he change many amors, but everything this (even if excluding heavy armor) was done by the players.

Geralt from the books, does not have to be Geralt from game (of course you can play him like this, but you don't have to, THAT'S the sense of an non-linear RPG)

I am aware that this is a game and it deviates from the source material for the sake of good gameplay. That is absolutely well and good. I never said they should strictly follow the books and make Geralt wear one jacket for a whole game. I am saying, that deviating too much from the source material, dilutes the game and makes it more generic. And this is the case right here.

Same argument could be made, if CDPR would introduce Witcher axes, hammers and other weapons. It would add variety and interesting possibilities for sure. But would it be smart to add them? Of course not. The game would lose it's feel and sense. It would make signature characteristics of the Witcher go away piece by piece. In the end any profession and person could replace Geralt.

More is not always better. You need some restrictions for your design and you need to keep within them.
Believability was always the best characteristic of the Witcher franchise - add anything you want, as long as it makes sense in the context of the story and the world.

Especially when I think back to TW1 and how much of a fuss they made about Raven's armour being strong without having impact on agility, since witchers don't employ heavy armour that restricts movement.

That's what I mean, it was not realistic per se, but at least it was explained that Raven's armor was unique, very light and flexible. (and it wasn't plate armor, just a heavier type - like most armors in W2).

I fear, with armor thickness growing with each game, we might see some Witcher protagonist drive in a tank in the next game :p

Last edited:
Heavy armors are not something witchers used so I find them pretty useless, I just hope majority of armors are light, Geralt was a quick master swordsman, not some knight trapped in a can.

It's good to have choice. I personally will be going for light to medium armor, but someone might prefer the heavy style.
This might be bending the lore quite a bit, but for the sake of diverse gameplay it's a tradeoff that is easily justifiable.

Last edited:
Source please.

While many things in the Witcher series are not realistic - they make sense in the context and are explained. Like sword on the back. It's not realistic (or at least very uncomfortable) it is explained, that Geralt uses a special technique to draw his sword from the back.
Source? The fact that you pick up magic armor pretty much all over the place and at tons of shops. How is this even a question?

And special technique to draw a sword from your back? LMAO. A longsword is longer then your arms, on a sheathe like geralt uses it is IMPOSSIBLE to draw unless he takes the sheathe off his back. You are deluding yourself thinking any of this game is grounded in reality "as much as possible"

Anyway, I cant be bothered to address the rest of your points, just go on being butthurt over heavy armor tho, Im jot gonna stop you.

I cant wait to have Geralt in the heaviest armor I can find.

It's good to have choice. I personally we'll be going for light to medium armor, but someone might prefer the heavy style.
This might be bending the lore quite a bit, but for the sake of diverse gameplay it's a tradeoff that is easily justifiable.

Here just the same, I'm too gonna go for light/medium.

I personally like Geralt from the books a lot, so I do like the lore-books-Geralt, but I think Geralt from the games ( at least, as I played him ) is somewhat different - and I like this possibility given to us.

It's good to have choice. I personally we'll be going for light to medium armor, but someone might prefer the heavy style.

Thats exactly how I feel. I'll probably go with Light armor since I like the idea of a speedy/evasive Geralt, but it doesnt at all bother me that there is optional heavy armor that supports a different playstyle.

Source? The fact that you pick up magic armor pretty much all over the place and at tons of shops. How is this even a question?

Magic armor, because it has stats. LOL.
Find me an armor in the game that says, it was infused with magic and we can talk.

And special technique to draw a sword from your back? LMAO. A longsword is longer then your arms, on a sheathe like geralt uses it is IMPOSSIBLE to draw unless he takes the sheathe off his back. You are deluding yourself thinking any of this game is grounded in reality "as much as possible"

Special technique, yes. It was described, as he was launching the sword in the air and catching it. As I said, it's not realistic, but it was explained why it broke the rules of physics (I guess).

I cant wait to have Geralt in the heaviest armor I can find.

Nearly cut myself on the edge of that statement.

Find me an armor in the game that says, it was infused with magic and we can talk.

Special technique, yes. It was described, as he was launching the sword in the air and catching it. As I said, it's not realistic, but it was explained why it broke the rules of physics (I guess).

It was shown in the videos that armor can be upgraded with glyphes, giving them what one could easily interpretate as magical powers ;)

Uhmmmm, the stats are magic tho. How the fuck do you suppose armor can make you do more damage, or make you faster?

News flash, just because it is explained in universe with some bs does not make it realistic. See the mass effect series. Or any other science fiction.

What an original come back! You got jokes bruh.

@MaxItOut

These were enhancements, not glyphs. For example Hardened leather reinforcement, Kayran carapace reinforcement or Dhu Bleidd.
If you mean these ones.

@MaxItOut

These were enhancements, not glyphs. For example Hardened leather reinforcement, Kayran carapace reinforcement or Dhu Bleidd.
If you mean these ones.

No actually I mean glyphs ^^

I would search even the exact time from the gog twitch live video, but actually they removed the recording :(
But I think somebody here in the forums found the video somewhere else.
Today it's actually too late ( in europe at least), but I try to find the video tomorrow and post it here.

No offense @Sagitarii , I really get your point that from your perspective Geralt wouldn't use those armors, but then play it like you want to and stick to the lore. But also let us play a Geralt with little bit of plate armor, cause from our perspective he wouldn't loose much of his speed
;)

EDIT: OOOOOOh now I get it, you referred to Witcher 2 didn't you ?
I was referring to Witcher 3 where it's now possible to put glyphs into armor, at least it was shown in the gog twitch-clip.

Last edited:
How about we keep this civil?

By civil you mean
Civil war on this forum. It is raging for a while and probably this war of attrition will continue after the release.

I hope when the game arrive people will like the game as a whole rather than rage about any small detail that is absolutely necessary and crucial for them.

EDIT: OOOOOOh now I get it, you referred to Witcher 2 didn't you ?
I was referring to Witcher 3 where it's now possible to put glyphs into armor, at least it was shown in the gog twitch-clip.

Yeah, I thought you were thinking about the previous installments, since we don't know that much about W3, still.

No offense @Sagitarii , I really get your point that from your perspective Geralt wouldn't use those armors, but then play it like you want to and stick to the lore. But also let us play a Geralt with little bit of plate armor, cause from our perspective he wouldn't loose much of his speed
;)

None taken, it's just my concern and my opinion. I'm sure the game will play fine as it is :)
It just pains me to see it and I see, I'm not alone in this.

By civil you mean
Civil war on this forum. It is raging for a while and probably this war of attrition will continue after the release.

I hope when the game arrive people will like the game as a whole rather than rage about any small detail that is absolutely necessary and crucial for them.

While I don't agree with plate armor in the game, there's not much I can do about it at this point. Arguing about it just seems like a waste of time to me.

Not really surprised at seeing them implementing plate armor in the game tbh, saw this happening a mile away. It all started with the crossbow, mainstream prefers variety and choice and CDPR are chasing the mainstream. At least Geralt is still male and not pink haired.

But yeah, getting back to your point and closing it off since it's off-topic. I'm just here to do my job and keep the forums in order, even if I view all this bickering as being kinda pointless. And yes, it'll likely carry over post-release. Nothing we can do about it.

*puts moderator armor back on*

I personally am not going for heavy and especially steel plated armors, though I must admit that I have a soft spot for the upgraded version of the Bear armor.
But I am not against the fact that CDPR has provided more choices in the Witcher 3.
Geralt is not Geralt anymore he is Geralt fused with the gamer who controls him, because the WItcher games are RPG games.
There are some red lines for me such as Geralt having sex with Ciri, but having heavy armors in the game is not such big deal for me.

I personally am not going for heavy and especially steel plated armors, though I must admit that I have a soft spot for the upgraded version of the Bear armor.

The Bear Armor, while being heavy, does not have plate elements on it, so that's fine in my books. Actually from what we've seen so far, all of the witcher armors fit the lore, and we know those will be the most powerful armors in the game. So in the end, it might not be that big of an issue.

Last edited:
While I don't agree with plate armor in the game, there's not much I can do about it at this point. Arguing about it just seems like a waste of time to me.

Not really surprised at seeing them implementing plate armor in the game tbh, saw this happening a mile away. It all started with the crossbow, mainstream prefers variety and choice and CDPR are chasing the mainstream. At least Geralt is still male and not pink haired.

But yeah, getting back to your point and closing it off since it's off-topic. I'm just here to do my job and keep the forums in order, even if I view all this bickering as being kinda pointless. And yes, it'll likely carry over post-release. Nothing we can do about it.

*puts moderator armor back on*

I don't even think its about the "mainstream". I think game design in general benefits from providing choice and adding depth. The truth is that loot itself is a very gamey concept. If they were really true to the lore we'd use 1 or 2 sets for the entire game and that would be no fun. The great thing is that it is a choice and everyone is free to decide what their Geralt would/won't wear.

I agree with someone else that the Witcher would probably have been more appropriate as an action game, just because so many of the traditional RPG elements don't necessarily fit the lore and the character of Geralt. I'm happy they didn't go that route but it also means that I'm willing to look the other way when they bend the lore a bit for the sake of proper game design.

Top Bottom