Armor in the W3

+
I think it's a nice variety and it helps. I mean it isn't necessary and I presonally think there will be some cool plate armours. I really like the medium armour with the steel shoulder pads and the red cloth that drapes down.

Professionals will wear whatever does the job.

Plate has advantages - serious ones. Good plate is extremely hard to penetrate and if you wear it a lot, you get used to the weight. The extra mass lends crazy power when you hit.

Most soldiers didn't wear plate because it was soooo damn expensive and they were soooo damn poor.

Would a Witcher wear plate, aside from the established lore? Well, if it didn't encumber him too much, of course! That "too much" is the deciding factor and given that they fight in so many environments and foes that demand every bit of speed, maybe not.

But those of you speaking of being slowed down by it, consider that some very big men have moved -very- fast. Recently, I'd advise you to watch Fedor Emelianko, last weighted in at 230+ lbs and moves like greased lightning.

You put a big, fast guy in heavy armour and train him to use it properly, wear it all the time like clothes, then watch how horribly quick he is.

On a related note, the "Red Knight" by Miles Cameron, historian, naval officer and hard-core re-enactor, portrays plate armour and it's users really well. Check it out. It's also nearly as grim as the Witcher setting.

I have a question. Will the starting armor (the one we all've seen in promos and trailers and game cover) become totally obsolete to the point of not being viable (like a sleeveless thin end-game shirt having stats that outright stomp the starting armor) or we might want to still use it later in the game due to certain stats/benefits?

in the new rage and steel trailer Geralt wears a metal armor

he won't be able to move fast, he uses only magic and bombs?

I think it was said that the only thing affected would be his stamina regen rate. And, the armor perk he will use.

Cat is light armor, you do more damage with fast attacks.

Griffin is medium, its signs and alchemy? Not sure on this one.

And bear is heavy armor, more health and stronger heavy attacks.

I strongly feel they should have kept even the heaviest armor composed of flexible, cloth-based or leather material, altogether still light compared to full plate. I mean come on, this pisses on Witcher lore way the hell more than crossbows or anything else I've seen yet. Seems really misguided. It's almost like they added it in for that D&D flavor to appeal to the larger RPG crowd who want the option to play a knight or something. Whatever, it's not going to ruin the game for me and it will indeed appeal to newcomers .

Last edited:
i find that kind of funny and surprising. but i guess since the npc armors are all properly rigged to the male skeleton, they might as well turn it into useable armor.

in cdpr's defense, they took care of the lore problem, when they introduced amnesia.

I strongly feel they should have kept even the heaviest armor composed of flexible, cloth-based or leather material, altogether still light compared to full plate. I mean come on, this pisses on Witcher lore way the hell more than crossbows or anything else I've seen yet. Seems really misguided. It's almost like they added it in for that D&D flavor to appeal to the larger RPG crowd who want the option to play a knight or something. Whatever, it's not going to ruin the game for me and it will indeed appeal to newcomers .

You do realise that arming doublet and good quality plate is actually lighter and more flexible than Gambeson... or Gambeson and Maille... Leather in armour qualities (i.e. boiled and stiffened) is as heavy as steel plate armours and is not as good at providing protection, nor as flexible (proper joints in plate can exceed the body's requirements for motion)... Maille and plate are both expensive, but ironically, it is maille that costs more time and money to manufacture once steel is being produced in better manufacturing methods towards the end of the mediaeval period... each ring needs to be flattened by hand, then rivetted one by one. With 4:1 6mm rings this is a years work or so for each hauberk.

Plate has advantages - serious ones. Good plate is extremely hard to penetrate and if you wear it a lot, you get used to the weight. The extra mass lends crazy power when you hit.

Most soldiers didn't wear plate because it was soooo damn expensive and they were soooo damn poor.

Would a Witcher wear plate, aside from the established lore? Well, if it didn't encumber him too much, of course! That "too much" is the deciding factor and given that they fight in so many environments and foes that demand every bit of speed, maybe not.

But those of you speaking of being slowed down by it, consider that some very big men have moved -very- fast. Recently, I'd advise you to watch Fedor Emelianko, last weighted in at 230+ lbs and moves like greased lightning.

You put a big, fast guy in heavy armour and train him to use it properly, wear it all the time like clothes, then watch how horribly quick he is.

On a related note, the "Red Knight" by Miles Cameron, historian, naval officer and hard-core re-enactor, portrays plate armour and it's users really well. Check it out. It's also nearly as grim as the Witcher setting.

Well said. No really. :clap: It actually reminded me of Hallgerd's Tale from TES Imperial library. 'Tis all about skill. I loved to read the many books in the TES games, especially the short stories with a twist at the end.:happy:

Anyway, I've only read two books by Sapkowski(though I'm on my way correcting that) and understand that many point to lore and what not.

But this is a game and MY Geralt, not book-Geralt, will wear whatever armour I see fit. This will be based upon strategic choice, and of course whatever armour I prefer aesthetically(i.e. armour that I find cool).

I'm not to judge anyone else for going 'against lore' and what have you. You're all free to make your own choices regarding the armour Geralt will wear. If it's based on what you read in the books or how you want to play the game, it's all up to you.

I know my choices in previous two games, and I felt them to be correct, but of course they would differ from the choices many of you made. So thank you devs for implementing player choice:)victory:)!

But let me put things in perspective: I loved Dragon Age: Origins inventory and equipment because of the many choices at my disposal. As soon as I learned that they'd changed this in Dragon Age 2 I decided not to buy it. I just reckoned the game wasn't for me. Of course I had other objections apart from how inventory and equipment choices were handled. Friends said I missed out on a good game but I don't lament my choice.

Regarding the leap from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 regarding armour choices, I'd rather not go back to the meagre armour choices of Witcher 1. No matter the lore. Don't misinterpret, I love Witcher 1 more than 2, but I loved the variety of armour in Witcher 2.

If MY Geralt, several years after the books and amnesia, decide that plate armour is actually fitting armour for the situation then so be it. He's still a witcher, not a knight-errant. ^_^

EDIT: Forgot to mention that nothing will stop me from buying Witcher 3. Even if devs forced us to wear the armour Geralt wears in trailers.
Seriously, that armour will be sold in White Orchard.

Last edited:
If MY Geralt, several years after the books and amnesia, decide that plate armour is actually fitting armour for the situation then so be it. He's still a witcher, not a knight-errant. ^_^

EDIT: Forgot to mention that nothing will stop me from buying Witcher 3. Even if devs forced us to wear the armour Geralt wears in trailers.
Seriously, that armour will be sold in White Orchard.

Well, what if the Witcher 3 called you up and asked you to sell off both your kidneys in return for buying him? WOuld you still buy the Witcher 3?

ANyway.

Lore is a funny thing. Witcher lore puts Geralt and Co. in light armour and gives some solid reasons. Cost, availability, weight. But if you stick solely to lore, it becomes a limiter instead of an enhancer and foundation.

On the other hand, Geralt the Sorceror I don't want to see.

Armour options and crossbows as he ages and lives on in a different world I can accept. No big deal.

I just hope there are many light/medium armors to choose from (heavy ones they can stick it where the sun don't shine, I don't want Geralt to be a Tin Man ;) ), because so far I didn't see even 1 armor that I really liked and that worries me greatly. I can accept the one shown on many trailers, the leather one, but "accept" is as far as it goes.

Witcher 1 armors had the best design in my opinion, it really resonated with my imagination of a Witcher armor from the books. Hard leather, but easy enough for a mutant to move and dance around enemies effortlessly.

Last edited:
I just hope there are many light/medium armors to choose from (heavy ones they can stick it where the sun don't shine, I don't want Geralt to be a Tin Man ;) ), because so far I didn't see even 1 armor that I really liked and that worries me greatly. I can accept the one shown on many trailers, the leather one, but "accept" is as far as it goes.

Witcher 1 armors had the best design in my opinion, it really resonated with my imagination of a Witcher armor from the books.

I think there is one that looks a lot like TW 1 version and there is also others without sleeves that look more light.

Personally I go always for the more realistic looking but not to heavy, probably one that has mail and a skirt with some padding.

Are there really 100 armors in Witcher 3?

I remember the developer video stating that there is either 100 armors or more in the game, however when I read the forum on armor sets, it only show 26 or 27. I'm a bit confuse. Which is which?

Lots. (And lots).

Same as with Monsters.

In addition what *you* are wearing is a composite of various parts ~ sabaton, chausse, vambrace, plackart... if you had (say) 20 different full sets (which is far fewer than there are, we've seen at least 4 tiers of each of the different witcher armours (minimum of 12 sets), and a lot of additional pieces too), then you'd have 160,000 combinations, although only some would make sense.

*drops the Mic*

Top Bottom