Ask Skellige Player: Where's the way for us now?

+
Ask Skellige Player: Where's the way for us now?

Hello,

Do you know all other faction have at least 3 common bronze with 8 strength:

1. Monster: x3 Fiend, common, bronze and 8 strength

2. Northern Realms: x3 Redanian Knight, bronze and 8 strength

3. Scoia'tael: x3 Vrihedd Brigade, bronze and 8 strength

But how about Skellige? Just check your deck. Weakest and dead card everywhere.

And this patch 0.8.33 destroy anything ability we have left.

I'm so sad, tired and stressful and no more enjoy.

I think I should abandon this game until they make it better.

Because I love and play only Skellige deck but this faction now just a dead deck.

I want to ask you, who played Skellige: "Where's the way for us now?"

I'm having more fun than before with a few different Skellige decks, Cerys and Queensguard being the safest of my decks for ranked, need to tweak the other ones. Kambi and Hjalmar in a very destructive deck shows some promise but it's missing pieces, and then i experiment a bit with weather and self wounding.

I still have 0-5 cards left in the deck at the end of a game with my go to deck, so i don't think Skellige's ability to use the whole deck got destroyed.

I wish i had the cards to make lots of decks for every faction though, to try more strategies.

Last edited:
heg82;n7306630 said:
Cerys and Queensguard being the safest of my decks for ranked

I try it also. But you know other faction as NR can destroy that tactics, especially with Radovid control deck.

And important thing is Cerys and Queensguard not strong enough to win

DEERCG;n7306390 said:
But how about Skellige? Just check your deck. Weakest and dead card everywhere.
I'm so sad, tired and stressful and no more enjoy.
I think I should abandon this game until they make it better.
Because I love and play only Skellige deck but this faction now just a dead deck.

So your one-trick-pony discard deck stopped working and now you are complaining here. You are not alone. It happens to everyone. Yes, it sucks, especially if you have invested a lot of ore (legendaries) into the deck. But there are other tactics to win, even for Skellige. You shouldn't solely rely on just one strategy. And you definitely shouldn't start saying silly things like: "I think I should abandon this game until they make it better.", solely based on a nerf.

DEERCG;n7306390 said:

Raw power isn't everything. Besides Light Longship have 7 strength and immune to rain. Not a bad card against the many weather decks out there.

Last edited:
DEERCG;n7306710 said:
I try it also. But you know other faction as NR can destroy that tactics, especially with Radovid control deck.

And important thing is Cerys and Queensguard not strong enough to win

Cerys, Queensguard and Skirmishers can become very strong, since so many opponents kill them over and over again, especially when there's nothing else to kill. Even the powerfull weather+Aard combo can backfire against cards not minding a very short vacation in the graveyard. Mardroeme is a decent card for Skellige too.

I'm thinking about putting Draig back in the deck too, that would be pretty nasty in the third round.

Last edited:
I feel like buffing Clan Tuirseach Skirmishers is still a way to go (we can even use mushrooms now). Also I just crafted Coral and Geralt: Ard yesterday, and they are a super strong combo together (push melee row back into fog, all the pushed cards are destroyed, even frost immune monsters cause they just landed in fog), add Hjalmar as a 3rd gold to them and they can guarantee you one round, for the other rounds, take some wounding, buff your skirmishers, whatever :D

Why? Skellig Discard got a small hit and some new cards to get better. So you need only change little things and your deck is competitive again.

There are only 3 cards that got hit by the patch and 2 cards was bad before the patch. So you remove now Svanrige and Raider from you Deck.
Put in Morkvarg and Madroeme and your are back in business.

DEERCG;n7306390 said:

And who cares, noone plays vanilla creatures. How much have you see the Power 8 bronze creatures in a match against you?

Thank you everyone for feedback. Because my style before not about discard deck but now I should research that style deck. As all you say now I had no other chose if I want to continue play with Skellige deck.

Queensguard ( you don't even need Cerys ), Mushrooms, Draig, Coral, Aard and you're a pain in the ass again. Morkvarg can play fine as well. This will work great until you reach top 100 of the ladder, then it changes completely as there are Scoia and you don't stand a chance against them.
So, the only option left is a control deck. Coral and Aard are a must have. Hjalmar, I guess. The last slot is for Birna, she's important. No Kambi, useless against Scoia. But I don't still know which way of control to choose: weather or pure damage and what units to play. Needs testing.

I don't think any other faction has immune cards like Skellige (may be Monsters). Also you can't win just using raw power. It may works sometimes but for other situations you need to adapt. Basic resurrection deck won't be enough for winning.

DEERCG;n7308020 said:
Thank you everyone for feedback. Because my style before not about discard deck but now I should research that style deck. As all you say now I had no other chose if I want to continue play with Skellige deck.

Try to build weather immune control deck. It might work. You have to some experiments.

Hello,

You're missing that Skellige get stronger with each passing round. If they had 8 strength bronze units by round three they could play them at strength 10 (equivelant to other faction's basic Silver unit). You can't make that comparison in a vacuum.

so in round 3 you have a 9 power bronze weather immune. By your logic skellige is now the most powerful faction no?

DEERCG n0z3k1ll3r , @Molotai
Errr.. no.

SK isn't missing that 8 str unit, but no, it's not because of the Sk passive, that shouldn't be counted here. Each faction has a different passive, and you're not counting them when you're talking here, so shouldn't count Sk's passive either.

i'm actually surprised I have to explain something that is so obvious.

Simple unit (either bringing directly str on your side or a combination of str on your side + directly targeted damage on the opponent's side) have very standardised str across each factions.
Simple gold are 12 in value(Geralt, Roche, Triss, Iorverth...)
Simple silver are 10 in value (all the 10 str + Sile, Myrgtabrakke, holger)
Simple bronze has 7, except one exception per faction which has 8 (Fiend, Redanian Knight, Vrihedd Brigade and Longship).

Wait a second, did I just said Longship, even thought I said we're not counting the SK passive? Well yes, because
-if a simple bronze unit is weather immune, it's 1 less strength than it would have otherwise.
Look at the simple weather immune bronze units, they usually respect that (except since that patch, the pirates. I don't know why they put it to 5) and have 6 of value. Longship however are our "one unit stronger per faction" but since it's weather immune, it's 7 instead of 8.

So we have it just the same, just it's getting a -1 in exchange of being weather immune.

Interesting points. Seemed a bit "in-the-moment" dummy spit. Things change and so must we. I just deleted all decks and tried anything to see how it all ticked. Got beat a lot. Oh well.

Skellige is still very much playable - maybe not at the top, but I'm doing OK with my pre-patch deck (i got .500 record right now and it used to be closer to .667). Sure, you won't be ranked at the very top, but I'm not sure Skellige is built for that anyway. It's an oversized deck (30 cards, so I never cycle through), but I don't want to rely on a single strategy, that's why I have Cerys and skirmisher and clan Dimun in there, topped with Ermion, Igni, Ciri, Blueboy Lugos (and the ever-necessary D-bomb), but no ships or berserkers. I was curious after the patch how much nerf it would suffer and it seems not that much - with some of the new cards, it could be tweaked to be even better (plus, Xmas is two days away and what better way to spend an hour or so on Xmas day than using my 7300+ ore and 1300+ scraps).

peoples should stop giving % win rate for deck, it's absolutely useless.. Give the rating it's performing correctly in, and that's it :x.

Also, of course SK is still playable.
Although the moment skirmisher and/or cerys+queensguard are in the deck mentioned, I lose pretty much all interest in the deck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom