Ask the Dev Team about TW 1

+
Ask the Dev Team about TW 1

Hi there folks.How many of you remember this topic? Those were times, weren't they ;)I believe it's high time to have a new topic for shooting some questions. The devs will answer them provided those-who-are-in-power allow them ;)Let the parade of questions begin.

Feel free to ask about anything what you saw on two leaked videos. Please do not ask questions that you know we can't answer. And please don't ask any questions about the plot:) Remember we are all under NDA.And please don't go too far off topic so it will be easier to follow this thread :peace:

Blooddragon said:
Feel free to ask about anything what you saw on two leaked videos. Please do not ask questions that you know we can't answer :) Remember we are all under NDA.And please don't go too far off topic so it will be easier to follow this thread :peace:
Ooooh! Thank you!1. On the second leaked video, we saw Geralt enter some buildings without a loading screen. Does this mean that loading screens have been eliminated completely, or were those buildings just part of the area that Geralt was already in?2. In The Witcher 2, will we finally learn who raised Geralt from the dead and why? (I'm not asking you to tell me who and why; I'm just asking if we'll find out!)

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
Feel free to ask about anything what you saw on two leaked videos. Please do not ask questions that you know we can't answer :) Remember we are all under NDA.And please don't go too far off topic so it will be easier to follow this thread :peace:
Ooooh! Thank you!On the second leaked video, we saw Geralt enter some buildings without a loading screen. Does this mean that loading screens have been eliminated completely, or were those buildings just part of the area that Geralt was already in?In The Witcher 2, will we finally learn who raised Geralt from the dead and why?
On the second video interiors are part of the level, so you can enter them without any loading screen.No questions about the plot and continuity, sorry ;)

An interview posted on a Russian site (here) said that some of the player's choices from the first Witcher game would carry over to the second one. Is that true?The first leaked video showed blood splashing on the camera lens, which really seemed to jerk the player out of immersion and make it clear that we're watching what's happening through a camera, rather than being there. Are you guys still planning to have blood on the camera lens, or has that feature been altered? Is there anything your fans can do to support the development team or to make your job easier? (Besides encouraging everyone we know to buy The Witcher, of course -- we're already doing that. ;))Thank you so much for answering questions -- your fans really appreciate it! We love The Witcher!

Probably not going to get an answer, top secret stuff, this, but:The hair. Is what we see what we get? ;D Yeah, I have nothing better to ask.

We saw some nice physics in the first video. You could push enemies off the cliff with Aard. Will that be added in the combat, too? Say, kicking someone off a cliff? Or some other application of those physics (I guess basics physics will still be in á la TW1, so not counting that)Will we be fighting any other (if the Kraken is even in the game) huge monsters in TW2? I guess this might be a bit too story related.. or mayhaps not.Does the combat system still work in the same way? From what we saw, it pretty much does. Will we see more/better implemented dodges, parries, etc?Has it been more fun developing TW2 than TW1, now that you have the basics covered and you know what kind of a game you're making?

Forum veteran
Simple question. How soon can you announce the release of TW2?? If can't say, how soon will you release an un-leaked official trailer?? :)

When is the demo version of the game ready for us? ;D Please don't say there won't be a demo version and you will keep us on a long dry spell until the release And... what can you tell us about system requirements?

1) I probably can't tell anything more about choices carried from W1 to W2 :(2) As community don't be afraid to say what you dislike in materials we show you. Until Release Candidate there is always a way to change some things :) We make this game for you thats why your opinion is very important.3) Blood splashing the screen will be probably modiffied, it is annoying indeed :)4) Geralt's hair has been untouched since first leaked movie and the general feeling is that many people dislike them... So the current appearance might change :) C5) Can't say anything about the combat yet it's still in production.6) W1 was more like learning polygon. Making the Witcher 2 is much more fun because: we know more, We are more experienced, we are encouraged by W1 and most of all we have powerful technology :D7) For the announcement you will have to wait until the next year, I don't know the exact date. Only PR guys knows that :D8) It's too early to talk about the demo :( It also depends of publisher I guess?

Thanks for the info, sounds like there's still a bit of changes to be done. ;)Will there still be loading screens now that houses are entered as part of the map?? I really enjoyed them. :peace:

No a lot of people like Geralt's hair. Don't believe youtube it's full of *****tWhat are those White squares above peoples heads? That's not a game design to show people you can talk to or anything is it?They look horrible.

Yeah, come on guys! Geralt's hair is AWESOME with the pony tail. Now that I've seen it it would be hard to go back to the old style..And thanks for the answers!Can you say how long TW2 has been in production so far?BTW, what I mean by making the combat look better.. I mean something like in the beginning of the first leaked video. Although I very much doubt that much smoothness could be achieved, it has the stuff I'd wish to see.. blocks, lots of movement, dodging, parrying, quick and lethal combat. I think it would be cool to see Geralt using some combat throws from Judo and perhaps some strikes in the combat, too.. not as his main weapons, but incorporated into his sword fighting. This is probably way too much to hope for, especially since I don't know what you guys are going for in the combat... if it's going to even have any more "interactivity" than the Witcher (where you only really interacted in the finisher moves).Also: I like the swords currently. Please, please stay away from fantasy swords! By that I mean overly flashy/flaming/huge/weird shaped swords. Can Geralt sit? In the 2nd video we see a table and people sitting on a bench.. not very important, eh, but I guess a lot of the work of making him sit is already there if the NPCs can do it..

Dezired said:
Can Geralt sit? In the 2nd video we see a table and people sitting on a bench.. not very important, eh, but I guess a lot of the work of making him sit is already there if the NPCs can do it..
Yeah, common folks can do it and Geralt isn't able to? Just to sit, have a rest before another exhausting fight ;)

Dezired said:
Yeah, come on guys! Geralt's hair is AWESOME with the pony tail. Now that I've seen it it would be hard to go back to the old style..And thanks for the answers!Can you say how long TW2 has been in production so far?BTW, what I mean by making the combat look better.. I mean something like in the beginning of the first leaked video. Although I very much doubt that much smoothness could be achieved, it has the stuff I'd wish to see.. blocks, lots of movement, dodging, parrying, quick and lethal combat. I think it would be cool to see Geralt using some combat throws from Judo and perhaps some strikes in the combat, too.. not as his main weapons, but incorporated into his sword fighting. This is probably way too much to hope for, especially since I don't know what you guys are going for in the combat... if it's going to even have any more "interactivity" than the Witcher (where you only really interacted in the finisher moves).Also: I like the swords currently. Please, please stay away from fantasy swords! By that I mean overly flashy/flaming/huge/weird shaped swords. Can Geralt sit? In the 2nd video we see a table and people sitting on a bench.. not very important, eh, but I guess a lot of the work of making him sit is already there if the NPCs can do it..
uh Grappling , Judo throws, and the other guy has a sword? If you tried to do this your only hope would be to get his sword arm like Samurai did when they clashed swords. they then pulled out a small blade to slit the other guys wrists. I love the combat let's keep it more realistic as sword fighting. You could incorperate more Asian style Sword fighting though Ever see Conan the Barbarian that is so good sword fighting.

StrangeCat said:
StrangeCat said:
uh Grappling , Judo throws, and the other guy has a sword? If you tried to do this your only hope would be to get his sword arm like Samurai did when they clashed swords. they then pulled out a small blade to slit the other guys wrists. I love the combat let's keep it more realistic as sword fighting. You could incorperate more Asian style Sword fighting though Ever see Conan the Barbarian that is so good sword fighting.
Uh, yes... Geralt has a sword too. Sometimes, however, you get very close to the enemy on purpose or accidentally... a range where swords are not that practical. A lot of things could happen there which would warrant a throw or a sweep such as the swords being locked together.. the Samurai practiced unarmed combat for a reason. A throw followed by a knife to the throat is very efficient... if you even need a knife afterwards to finish it.As you will notice if you read my post, I said: "not as his main weapons, but incorporated into his sword fighting."

Thanks for the answers Blooddragon 8)I'd like to forward a couple of questions from Our 'Ask the Dev team' thread:# Do you intend to insert more equipment like armors, weapon for Geralt?# How about the voiceover speaker? Do you have already contract somebody or do the speaker of TW1 take the job again? (If you can answer this for the German community as well, it's just fantastic).# If Geralt changes his look will his friends like Dandelion, Zoltan or Vesemir change their look as well? Provided they will appear again.

First of all I wanna thank you guys for giving us the chance to ask you questions about the sequel. That's no naturalness.I've got a question regarding Andrzej Sapkowski. Is he involved in the production?

I always thought it was strange that you guys gave Geralt white hair but dark beard stubble in TW1, and I see the same look for TW2. If the mutation turned his hair white, then didn't it turn his hair white? Why did you guys decide to give him dark beard stubble?About combat: I have really horrible hand-eye coordination, and there are some games that I simply can't play because I'm not dexterous enough to handle the combat. (My husband bought me "Mount and Blade" awhile back, and I couldn't play it because I couldn't line things up quickly enough.) One of the things I love about The Witcher is that we mostly use Geralt's skills for combat, not mine. All I have to do is click inside the red circle when I hear the "swish," and I can handle that. So I really hope that combat isn't too different in TW2! If we have to do a whole lot of hand-eye coordination to do combat in TW2, I won't be able to play.
Blooddragon said:
1) I probably can't tell anything more about choices carried from W1 to W2 :(
I wasn't asking you to tell us which choices were carried over! The interview that says that some (of course unnamed and undisclosed) choices will be carried over is unofficial. I was asking whether the information in that interview was a hoax or if the interview was with a real RED. So, it's really a yes-or-no question. ;)
2) As community don't be afraid to say what you dislike in materials we show you. Until Release Candidate there is always a way to change some things :) We make this game for you thats why your opinion is very important.4) Geralt's hair has been untouched since first leaked movie and the general feeling is that many people dislike them... So the current appearance might change :) C
Fan reaction to the hair was pretty negative at first, but I've heard several people say that they like it a lot more now, now that they've had time to get used to it. Fans are often resistant to change -- they like whatever you've made already; that's why they're fans. Yet more of the same often turns out to be kinda ... dull. Developers need to have the courage to make changes, because fans like new things once they have them, as long as those things are good. And whatever CDPR makes will be good. So, do whatever you want, guys. Don't just give us what we clamor for -- go where your muse takes you, and we will follow.I've spent the past year working on new adventures for The Witcher, and I know that making games has given me a perspective that I wouldn't have had if I'd only ever just played them. If I can learn something from my own tiny efforts, I'm sure that you guys must have learned an immense amount in making TW1, things that won't necessarily be obvious to players.
Blooddragon said:
Also: I like the swords currently. Please, please stay away from fantasy swords! By that I mean overly flashy/flaming/huge/weird shaped swords.
I second this!
Blooddragon said:
# How about the voiceover speaker? Do you have already contract somebody or do the speaker of TW1 take the job again? (If you can answer this for the German community as well, it's just fantastic).
Yes, in one of the threads about the new Geralt, the one thing everyone could agree on was that they wanted the same actor to do the voiceover for TW2 (for the English version). I'm sure voiceovers happen as part of localization, and that doesn't happen until late in development, so there's probably no definite answer to this question this early. But what you might know is -- did the contracts for the voice actors for TW1 include an option to renew, where the actors have pretty much already signed up for TW2 if they're asked to reprise their roles?Once again, thanks for taking questions! Though it seems that you enjoy ducking some of them. :D

So far I am loving what I have seen. I love the new hairstyle, but I agree it's odd to see the black stubble on his face. Are you going to move that to white? It looks really strange as it is.

Top Bottom