Asking a question about performance of the game in my PC

+
Actually, this is not well-dcoumented. The mix and match memory thing. I had 384 MB of memory, (128+256), on my old HP and i never had a single problem with it.

Slicer77 said:
Actually, this is not well-dcoumented. The mix and match memory thing. I had 384 MB of memory, (128+256), on my old HP and i never had a single problem with it.
I think the mix and match refers to brands and timings. For example, if you have OCZ memory, don't add G-skill in your other slots. And/or if your current memory timings are 5-5-5-15, don't add memory with 4-4-4-12 timings. Note: this can work, but it more often than not causes problems.

Coelocanth said:
Coelocanth said:
I think the mix and match refers to brands and timings. For example, if you have OCZ memory, don't add G-skill in your other slots. And/or if your current memory timings are 5-5-5-15, don't add memory with 4-4-4-12 timings. Note: this can work, but it more often than not causes problems.
Yeah, that's more what I meant; the capacities aren't so much an issue with DDR as much as the bus speeds are. I was referring to mixing and matching modules that operate or are rated at different clock speeds and timings. DDR can be a little picky in that regard.

i had this problemi had 2x512Mb DDR1-400 Kingmax 3-4-4-8 sticks for over an yeari got myself 2x512Mb DDR1-400 Elixir 3-3-3-8 sticks; rather pricey, i could get 2x1Gb DDR2-667 with these moneyso they seemed to work ok....until i started any game, which resulted on sudden reboots, freezes and saddness 4 days later i gave up, payed 20$ more to a guy just to replace the 4x512Mb sticks with 2x1Gb DDR1-400 Apacer 3-3-3-8, which works perfect

Hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong section... Anyway, first I must say i'm not much of a gamer but decided to buy this game. I installed it but it doesn't seem to work. I think I may need to upgrade my video card. The problem is I don't understand the number system on video cards.My specs:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+1GB ramATI X300Vista -all updatesIt seems like the processor and the ram wouldn't make the game not work, so i'm assuming its the video card. If I buy a video card I might as well get a bit more ram to add. Input? Thanks!

That *is* really an atrociously terrible excuse for a video card, sorry to be so truthful, but I just can't stand the ridiculous Politically Correct Fools' desire to sugarcoat everything ! http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6990.0

Thank you. That is what I thought. I ordered Radeon X1950 Pro - 512MB. I see that one is quite high on your list. I should have better luck with that.

hey i was hoping for some helpmy cousin bought witcher and he brought it over to see if it will run on my pcit installs and runs (a bit slowly but runs)however it freezes after i kill the first bunch of raiders that attack the keep ( the first fight scene) the cut scene starts and they ask if im ok and then thats it the game just stops respondingany help pc stats1 gig ram2.13 dual corenvidia 7100gs(latest driver)

1Gb of RAM is not enough. You need at least 2Gb on XP and 3Gb on Vista (better 4Gb on Vista). But it shouldn't freeze. It may be the combination of small amount of RAM and small amount of virtual memory. Consequently, as soon as it runs out of memory it freezes.

No, I'm sure it's the absence of any (usable) video circuit board. The game doesn't run correctly with extra low quality video, such as onboard video chips (as it clearly shows in the System Requirements warnings). The minimum is described there; "Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce 6 series(6800GT or better)"A "100" is far beneath an "800"; it might as well be an IGP, it's so bad (merely amounts to a renamed 6200A). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_7_Series#GeForce_7100_GS

TheKiwi said:
No, it's the absence of any video circuit board. The game doesn't run correctly with onboard video chips (as it clearly shows in the System Requirements warnings). .
not on board card nvidia 7100gs is pci express card

Maerd said:
1Gb of RAM is not enough. You need at least 2Gb on XP and 3Gb on Vista (better 4Gb on Vista). But it shouldn't freeze. It may be the combination of small amount of RAM and small amount of virtual memory. Consequently, as soon as it runs out of memory it freezes.
but the requirements say 1gig for xp and 2 for vista?im on xp

LicaonKter said:
7100gs? thats not enogh1gb will work ok, slowy but will work
If the video was OK, it would pause for each area load with only one GB. But this is not as good as the AMD onboard chip, Xpress1250, which in turn, is not good enough. This might as well be only an IGP, it's so useless.

Hello I have loaded and played the demo with my hp computer which has an NVIDIA 6150le video card with 128 mb dedicated memory. The computer itself has 2gb of memory. I read that the full game recommends at least an NVIDIA geforce 6600 card. I did turn down all FX to get the game to run without clipping and slowing up. Can i play the full game with my computer and video card as described?Also, is the British game version unable to be installed and played on and in a US computer for any reason?Thanks to all.

You asked a Hardware Tech question in a general discussion area. In-Game Tech is where it belonged. I can tell you, however, that an nVIDIA IGP is hardly any better than the crap that Intel includes in its Chipsets, and if you enjoy gaming at a snail's pace, you have the right equipment for that. http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6990.0There is no game-players' reason for the UK version not to run fine on a decent USA desktop PC, just not on what HP sells for the price you paid.

Kiwi--I'm not sure if I should say "Thank you" or gringe at being the owner of something you distain. Anyway, thanks.

Hello I was told by someone in the general forum that I should have posted this sort of query here, so here it is. Incidentally, my HP may be "crap"as the replyer to my general post said, but it is what have so that is what I play other games with, including Half-Life 2, and sequels without problems.. At any rate here is my question-----I have loaded and played the demo with my hp computer which has an NVIDIA 6150le video card with 128 mb dedicated memory. The computer itself has 2gb of memory. I read that the full game recommends at least an NVIDIA geforce 6600 card. I did turn down all FX to get the game to run without clipping and slowing up. Can i play the full game with my computer and video card as described?Also, is the British game version unable to be installed and played on and in a US computer for any reason?Thanks to all.

Top Bottom