Assassin's Creed: Origins - The most boring RPG (?)

+

Did you like AC: Origins?

• Total voters
They will need to pay me to make me play it.

the storyline is in every game the same, always revenge, just with other politics but they are still good games but not great like witcher, witcher is in its own league but odyssey did some good water and other things, if ubisoft would make one game like witcher for 5 years or more and not the revenge storyline then it could be as great but with the copysoft method its average at best, maps are excellent though

the storyline is in every game the same, always revenge, just with other politics but they are still good games but not great like witcher, witcher is in its own league but odyssey did some good water and other things, if ubisoft would make one game like witcher for 5 years or more and not the revenge storyline then it could be as great but with the copysoft method its average at best, maps are excellent though

I agree completely from an artistic and creative standpoint, but it makes far more business sense not to change something unless it's broken.

It raises the ongoing argument when someone is trying to profit from creativity. It's not that the two are mutually exclusive, but the balance is incredibly hard to maintain. Here's the endless cycle:

1.) Creativity is risk. Every time I create something "brand new", there is no guarantee, no basis whatsoever, that people will like it enough to buy it. Even if it's incredible and generates endless "oohs" and "ahhs", that's not saying people will spend money on it.

2.) Business is risk. If I'm going to invest in a project, then I need to ensure that there's a reasonable likelihood of it generating a profit. To invest otherwise is irresponsible.

3.) People pay for what they're familiar with, and they're unlikely to pay for things that drastically differ. Other people get bored with what they're familiar with and want a change. The former always outweigh the latter. Human nature. Hence, stagnation of creative elements.

<3.) For a creative project to be creative, it needs to grow and evolve. Otherwise, the creative process stagnates. However, ignoring established gaming tropes is needless risk. So, things tend to repeat for a while. Even new, exciting twists and techniches that break the mold will be quickly copied ad naseum.

<2.) Once (and only once) a sizable part of the market begins to tire of buying the same stuff does it make any business sense whatsoever to take a massive creative risk.

And it loops back up to 1.).

So the issue is truly a catch 22. If I'm going to profit on creativity, I need to intentionally stifle creativity once I come up with something that works. If I don't make enough money, my project is a loss. That makes it less likely for businesses to take such risks in the future. Round we go.

Witcher 3 is a lot different than Witcher 2 and it made cd projekt rich and we got a very near perfect game.

Copysoft just throws you an excellent setting but behind that everything is mediocre or bad. The Animations in Odyssey compared to RDR2 are if you would compare an indie game to a triple A game.

EA also makes bad games and Bethesdas focus on the money gave them a very bad reputation. ACO was longer in developement and it shows.

The Animations in Odyssey compared to RDR2 are if you would compare an indie game to a triple A game.
TW3 has worse animation than AC unity, origins and odyssey, much worse. And CP2077 demo (pre-alpha, but still) didn't look better than FC5 when it comes to animations (in FC5 you have animation when you open doors, you don't look at it and it magically opens). I mean, I'm the OP of this thread complaining about AC, but animations are one of the few things ubisoft does right (4 different animations for 4 different speed when walking/running just moving the left analog stick)(picking items up is absent though).

But yeah, RDR2 and GTA V (back in 2013) are the real deal. Hopefully CDPR will learn from rockstar and add a lot of animations (picking items up, pushing buttons...), but who knows...

@Mybrokenenglish
i am currently playing ac odyssey , the combat has this comic style with this red lines or green lines for poison attacks(can't deactivate it, i tried) The combat with animations is really sloppy, you can never compare that to W3. Even AC3 had better finishers. In Odyssey your weapon stops some inches before the enemy (killing the enemy) or stabbing the ground. If it works you have no real impact to the enemys body. In W3 every Finisher worked smooth. Odyssey is also bloated as f. and to be honest without W3 they would have the same shit old ac games. You have sidequests but also these fetch quests with always the same dialogue from cassandra and i was in a "sakura" town in phokis i believe where nearly every citizen was this female black haired girl. I thought that in W3 there was this same NPC Model but man in odyssey they put that on a whole new level but the map is really excellent and athen is really nice but novigrad was made from love and passion inside and out. Odyssey will also be my last AC and copysoft game. Will never support that company again. I can play nice map in RDR2 and Origins+Odyssey was enough. I don't need a japan setting because i have already nioh. The setting always try to catch you and your money but you know copysoft will disappoint you.
edit: another "nice" example. There is a bounty hunter who ignites you every time he touches you. You loose health but if you go to a river the fire won't go out. Really disappointing.

Last edited:
I don't think TW3's combat animation are better than origins (I haven't played odyssey and never will), it's probably the only part of CDPR's game that has been almost universally criticized (I think it was good enough, other things were completely wrong for me), but I agree that the last 2 AC are ugly copies of TW3 and now they've added RPG elements in FC new dawn as well "because we're ubisoft and use the same mechanics in every single game we publish".

I also agree on the fact that the next ubisoft's game I'll play will need to be something completely different and innovative. Beyond good and evil 2? Maybe, but it being always online destroyed my interest.

i don't have a problem with the animations in origins, i liked them. AC Odyssey not so much. I like the new ac games but its average. Combat is in dark souls or nioh better. RPG is in Witcher better. AC Odyssey is not a bad game but i think people are sick because in every game you have these bad important politics people to assassinate and a revenge story with not enough polishing and in older games the no difficulty(its still way too easy) FC i will never buy again, just look the gameplay trailer. The "Florida ship" looks interesting but it looks like an average game with - no surprise - recycled elements(nearly all weapons and cars the same from FC5 -.- )). If everyone buys the games for 20 bucks then they get their 60 bucks with every 3 games. I don't support this sh. anymore because i love games with passion like W3 or RDR2(epilogue is wow *_*)

Last edited:
I think its great. Sure it got some problems, that got improvement in Odissey, and now we wait for Valhalla, but it was revolutionary, also almost a reboot for the AC games gameplay, that for me, suited well. I was unhappy with combat system since Black flag (black flag was good, i loved combat, but then the next games, it was so broke). But for those who say that would never play it, im sorry, because you're losing a good gameplay.

Reviving a long dead thread I know... But I need to hit 10 posts before I can post my query and so I'm randomly reading threads that peak my interest. :)

Regarding odyssey... that game ruined the AC franchise for my boy, he's disabled and has some issues with reflexes and control. In previous AC games he was able to level up and come back to harder areas/missions so that it was easier for him to tackle parts he struggled with.

But in odyssey they made that impossible, each area levels up with the player... rendering the ability to upgrade and improve worthless... and even after the backlash by players all they did was adjust it so that the areas level up to within 1-2 levels of the player.

This means my boy cannot play it... he's unable to progress because any time he upgrades, he's facing the same strength opponents he was before.

It ruined the game for him, it upset a child and it's a big FU from ubisoft to ALL disabled people who might enjoy games but aren't quite as proficient in physical ability as 'able bodied' people are. [...]

The same system is present in Wild hunt... but good old CDPR allowed the gamer to turn it off.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
But in odyssey they made that impossible, each area levels up with the player... rendering the ability to upgrade and improve worthless... and even after the backlash by players all they did was adjust it so that the areas level up to within 1-2 levels of the player.

There are difficulty settings. It really does make a significant difference what difficulty you play. Did your son try that? I usually do that whenever a game annoys or bores me too much.

As far as I remember level scaling can be turned off too.

And especially if you pay attention to your gear and adjust it to your level once in a while, the game will get easier over time. These improvements are not worthless. But yes, the advantage here gets more obvious later in the game.

I still haven't played it yet. How long the game is makes it seem pretty daunting to get into, since I want to get through some other shorter games in the back log first.

There are difficulty settings. It really does make a significant difference what difficulty you play. Did your son try that? I usually do that whenever a game annoys or bores me too much.

As far as I remember level scaling can be turned off too.

And especially if you pay attention to your gear and adjust it to your level once in a while, the game will get easier over time. These improvements are not worthless. But yes, the advantage here gets more obvious later in the game.

It's been a while, so I don;t know if they changed anything further... but their response to the backlash over the levelling up system was a big FU to players. It didn't matter what difficulty level you played at... enemies always levelled up with 1-2 of yours.

This means that any kind of grind to level up your weapons/abilities is completely worthless... even more so when it's a disabled person with restricted movement and reflexes trying to play.

It's horrible seeing him get so frustrated with a game series he loved... and now hates just because of that one simple thing that could have been fixed so easily. He's no longer interested in any of them any more and is currently working his way through Wild Hunt for the 3rd time with the new game + mode.

I think I'll be getting him cyberpunk 2077 as a reward... or at least letting him play my copy of it. :)

I still haven't played it yet. How long the game is makes it seem pretty daunting to get into, since I want to get through some other shorter games in the back log first.

Seriously. What's with this trend of every game out there having to be this crazy 100+ hour sandbox full of filler content? There are a lot of games out there that look cool, but I haven't bought simply because I don't have that kind of time.

Top Bottom