Assassin's Creed Unity

+
Joke aside you simply cannot deny the game has major problems - UBISOFT have admitted it on their blog (http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-184353-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32) and here you can see for yourselves they report the very issues people are referring to in this thread - so it's not made up or bashing.
There is a difference between reporting issues and bashing. You can only report issues if you personally own the game and actually encounter them. That's not bashing. But it's bashing if you don't own the game, have no first-hand experience with it and just repeat stuff you read somewhere on the internet in an aggressive unserious manner.

And you cannot expect people to just buy the game to experience it for themselves and if they don't they are not allowed to be skeptical or comment. It is one of the worst launches of a game that should still be in development and not released yet when suffering so many issues.
People are allowed to be sceptical and they are allowed to not buy the game.

And where do you get your information from that its is "one of the worst launches of a game"? Just because you read so on the internet? Just because Ubisoft admitted that there are problems for some people? Just because there exists a big bug thread?

Guess what: same is true for almost every video game I've played in the past 20 years. Every game has bugs and problems at release, especially on PC. Hell, even Witcher 2 had a lot more issues on my system at release than AC Unity. Dark Souls' PC port was horrible. GTA IV on PC was a nightmare at release. Gothic 3 was almost unplayable for some. Many games from 10 years ago where completely riddled with serious bugs for the first few weeks. But out of nostalgia or because it's trendy we all forget that and just pretend like this game must be the worst...

Bugs and problems are part of video games. I don't ignore that other people have problems, not at all. But obviously a lot of people also have not many or none at all and a lot of people bashing Ubisoft right now, they ignore that. Their behaviour indicates that the game is unplayable for everybody but the simple reality is that the game is playable and enjoyable for a lot of people - of course only given if you own at least the minimum PC specs. They were announced for a reason and I hear a lot of people complaining who don't even own the required hardware which makes no sense at all. Nobody forced them to buy the game. On the opposite, Ubisoft warned them by releasing those minimum and recommended specs. Is the game demanding? Yes. Are the specs extremely high? Yes. Are the specs justified for the visuals? Maybe, depends on your own opinion very much. Is this a justification for bashing? Hell, no, that's your own problem if you take the risk to buy a game which probably won't run well or at all on your system...

But I will not buy a game that is so obviously bugged and unpolished and yes I have hands on experience on both console and PC (granted neither was on my own rig or console) and both have FPS issues among several other problems.
I'm perfectly fine with it and I respect that. You experienced problems yourself and you just say that you wait. That's a serious and reasonable approach imo. But it's a difference if you just state that or if you bash Ubisoft on a whole without personal experience or without sense of proportion. But if I may ask you: on which PC specs did you play the game and what do you mean with "FPS issues and serveral other problems" in detail?

Imho many gamers -especially on PC- are just lousy whiners nowadays. You can't make it right for them, they will complain and flame no matter what. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone and many people also state reasonalbe and often first-hand critique. But usually in every thread I read about Ubisoft games at least 20% are just simple, plain bashing or trolling comments without any arguments and blown out of proportion for whatever reason. And I'm fed up with that because those people actually don't help anyone, they just poison the game (and PC) community with plain stupid hate.

I wanted to take you seriously, but after calling Crysis a 'corridor shooter' you're giving me a hard time with that..
Crysis 2 and 3 were no real open world games. In fact, they were more or less corridor shooters. You're right about the original Crysis though. But compared to Unity Crysis 1 looks just old anyway.

Blur makes everything better. More cinematic.
I stand to what I say: the game looks absolutely great in motion. If any blur is involved in that or not is totally all the same to me. Who cares if it looks good?

But hell, why do I even answer to an inflammatory one-liner...

Last edited:
But hell, why do I even answer to an inflammatory one-liner...

Seems you don`t know what you are writing yourself.

Imho many gamers -especially on PC- are just lousy whiners nowadays. You can't make it right for them, they will complain and flame no matter what. Of course that doesn't apply to everyone and many people also state reasonalbe and often first-hand critique. But usually in every thread I read about Ubisoft games at least 20% are just simple, plain bashing or trolling comments without any arguments and blown out of proportion for whatever reason. And I'm fed up with that because those people actually don't help anyone, they just poison the game (and PC) community with plain stupid hate.

And yes this is one of the worst launches. You know why? Not becouse there are obvious plroblems within the game but becouse Ubi`s stocks dropped by 9% not to mention what they did with embargo.

Seems you don`t know what you are writing yourself.
I don't see a one-liner there...

And yes this is one of the worst launches. You know why? Not becouse there are obvious plroblems within the game but becouse Ubi`s stocks dropped by 9% not to mention what they did with embargo.
So you're a stock expert?

But anyway, there is no direct correlation between bugs and the stock value, at least not unproven.

Yeah, the embargo, sure. That's a problem now, because it's Ubisoft. Nobody cared with Destiny and Activision. Nobody cared with Evil Within and Bethesda. But sure, you have problems and they didn't allow reviews before release so of course they must be connected, there must be a co-relation. Or it might not be co-related at all and Ubisoft just worked on the game until the very last moment and they felt that the pre-release version of the game isn't comparable to the release version. Or there might be a mixed bag of reasons. Point is that you exactly do what I critized before: pulling stuff out of proportions because you automatically assume the worst and talk like it was a given and proven thing instead of just a theory of yourself.

Anyway, I'm done here. It makes no sense talking sense into people on the internet. It's like fighting the windmills...

Last edited:
Word has it that Unity is doing ~50,000 drawcalls to render things on-screen. If it's true then... I have no words because that's just fucking INSANE. Even 10K is really pushing it. I remember Battlefield 3(a technological feat) had 7-8000 drawcalls in the most heaviest of scenes.

Picture just for reference from Simplygon:

^An entire middleware software exists simply because that's just wayy too many drawcalls.

Suddenly sub20 fps sounds impressive, if this is true then Untiy is a technological marvel.. for all the wrong reasons. One of the most detailed levels I have personally worked on in CryEngine 3 was in the end 223 draw calls and oh man was it detailed. So I have no clue what's going on.

ubisoft has a long history of unoptimized products. the 30 fps lock was surely made to mitigate any sudden fps decreases. of course some people will gobble down anything ubisoft spoonfeeds them and say thank you may i have another afterwards.

There's also no point in fighting a losing battle that has a mountain of insurmountable evidence against it.

Speaking of not knowing what you're talking about though... Destiny/Bungie/Activision haven't been bashed to hell and back?! Ha ha ha, more research is needed before you sling words unknowingly.

There's also no point in fighting a losing battle that has a mountain of insurmountable evidence against it.
You mean that mountain of isurmountable evidence which you cannot show or actuallly prove? Well, yeah, ok...

Speaking of not knowing what you're talking about though... Destiny/Bungie/Activision haven't been bashed to hell and back?! Ha ha ha, more research is needed before you sling words unknowingly.
I've done extensive reaserch on the topic. I read a ton of gaming news and forums and comments section every fuc..... day. Many people complained about Destiny because it sucked in their opinion. But the amount of personal attacks to the devs or the amount of pure trolling and bashing wasn't even comparable. I guess it's because the PC people were not involved in that one. They have proven to me to be the worst of the bunch.

If latest Ubisoft games were unoptimized Witcher 2 was an optimization nightmare. You couldn't run the game back in the time at 60 FPS on ultra and supersampling enabled with the best availabe single GPU! What? No?! Hell, yes!

But yeah, people forget soon if the truth doesn't fit their narrative. So let's continue to glorify CDPR and demonize Ubisoft.

Last edited:
You've got to be fucking kidding me?! You cannot be serious?! No evidence! NO EVIDENCE?!

So it's not broken even though everyone is in uproar? Just because there is a coalition against means their just bashing the game because Ubisoft.

supersampling enabled with the best availabe single GPU!
That's an absolutely RIDICULOUSLY comparison. Supersampling is rendering the same frames at higher resolutions, it's a stupid expectation in the first place to think that would be possible. You want a game to render 4x more and expect it to give the same output?

Apples and Oranges.

Unity on the other hand looks terrible, ditches any semblance of 'image quality' in favour of terrible post-processing and what seems like low quality assets with 128x128 texture resolution that is what it LOOKS like, not what it is...well maybe it is, I don't know. It's unoptimized garbage just like the last two games and there's no skirting around the issue

There is a difference between reporting issues and bashing. You can only report issues if you personally own the game and actually encounter them. That's not bashing. But it's bashing if you don't own the game, have no first-hand experience with it and just repeat stuff you read somewhere on the internet in an aggressive unserious manner.

While I could agree with you to an extent that a few people are bashing I generally believe people to be frustrated. They believed the hype and wanted a spectacular game but it drowned in bugs and issues.

And where do you get your information from that its is "one of the worst launches of a game"? Just because you read so on the internet? Just because Ubisoft admitted that there are problems for some people? Just because there exists a big bug thread?

- Several huge gaming sites report issues with the game http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-performance-analysis
- Several respected Youtubers report issues with the game - TB as the most prolific one I know of
- Ubisoft wants to change their future review police http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30040613
- Ubisofts companey value had a >10% drop as a consequence of AC:U. That is a pretty big deal and it doesn't just happen on internet rumors spread by trolls and bashers. It underlies serious issues.

Guess what: same is true for almost every video game I've played in the past 20 years. Every game has bugs and problems at release, especially on PC. Hell, even Witcher 2 had a lot more issues on my system at release than AC Unity. Dark Souls' PC port was horrible. GTA IV on PC was a nightmare at release. Gothic 3 was almost unplayable for some. Many games from 10 years ago where completely riddled with serious bugs for the first few weeks. But out of nostalgia or because it's trendy we all forget that and just pretend like this game must be the worst...

Bugs and problems are part of video games. I don't ignore that other people have problems, not at all. But obviously a lot of people also have not many or none at all and a lot of people bashing Ubisoft right now, they ignore that. Their behaviour indicates that the game is unplayable for everybody but the simple reality is that the game is playable and enjoyable for a lot of people - of course only given if you own at least the minimum PC specs. They were announced for a reason and I hear a lot of people complaining who don't even own the required hardware which makes no sense at all. Nobody forced them to buy the game. On the opposite, Ubisoft warned them by releasing those minimum and recommended specs. Is the game demanding? Yes. Are the specs extremely high? Yes. Are the specs justified for the visuals? Maybe, depends on your own opinion very much. Is this a justification for bashing? Hell, no, that's your own problem if you take the risk to buy a game which probably won't run well or at all on your system...

Well as a PC (mostly) and a casual console gamer (recent years) for the past 30 years I believe I have never experienced a game with this many problems. We simply differ here. I simply have never experienced a game that been so publicly criticized. Not for being a BAD game - that is not the issue, but for the sheer amount of issues and problems it suffers from. There is a good game underneath it all, no doubt about it but I am and many others simply cannot enjoy that for all it's issues. The game shouldn't have been launched in this state and it should have been subject to a far better quality control. It's is just not a finished product and no not by software standards either. It has been rushed for holiday season.

Whether they game should run fine on whatever PC specs I find irrelevant for this discussion. I have not commented on it. It's not a issue whether the specs are acceptable or not for me. It's the many other problems the game suffers from that are my headache.

I'm perfectly fine with it and I respect that. You experienced problems yourself and you just say that you wait. That's a serious and reasonable approach imo. But it's a difference if you just state that or if you bash Ubisoft on a whole without personal experience or without sense of proportion. But if I may ask you: on which PC specs did you play the game and what do you mean with "FPS issues and serveral other problems" in detail?

Again not my rig but a friend's: i7 4790k, GTX 780ti, 16 GB ram. No idea about what MB. I do know that the 780ti had the newest Nvidea drivers and game was patched.
Problems and issues:
- average FPS around 40-45 but many many many drops well below 30 for long periods (actually worse in cut scenes for unknown reasons)
- pop ins that made free running awful
- pop ins that made gameplay unbearable as eg. running away from enemies was hindered by sudden pop ins
- glithes - Arno stuck in walls, Arno 'falling' through the world, (not me playing at that time) npcs stuck in walls, npcs changing textures (clothes, hair, faces) right in front of me
- two game crashes in the around 3 hours I spend with the game
- semi broken stealth system. I could literately drop on top of guards and have them not notice me. Other times they saw me for no apparent reason
- other minor bugs

Again that was from around three hours play time myself and watching my friend playing it for a few as well. I simply cannot play the game like that. Again it is not that the game is bad. It's the sheer amount of issues that make it unplayable for me. I cannot immerse myself into a game that have so many issues that break immersion.

Console was a PS4 in a Danish supermaket for about 45 minutes. Not as many issues as with PC but FPS was simply unacceptable and unplayable.

I agree with you that you get the haters and trolls every now and again but I do believe as I stated in the beginning that lots of those are gamers that just wanted a good and spectacular game and their expectations simple weren't met. They are as me frustrated for the simple reason that AC:U is a good game they want to play but not able to in it's current state. And Ubisoft holds the sole responsibility here for releasing a unfinished and unpolished product and they do rightly so deserved critic for that.

people don't troll a company for no reason. my guess is people "troll" these companies because they're easy to ridicule and laugh at, and that probably comes from the fact that they are unmitigated shit.

but yeah, i see a lot of essays around here. you can whiteknight ubisoft as much as you want, nothing beats visual evidence of their shittiness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuX7-jOZcL4#t=307

Many people complained about Destiny because it sucked in their opinion. But the amount of personal attacks to the devs or the amount of pure trolling and bashing wasn't even comparable. I guess it's because the PC people were not involved in that one. They have proven to me to be the worst of the bunch.

I think in general PC gamers are just more fed up with problems with their games. Usually console games might have a lower visual quality, but at least they are usually mostly bugfree. But PC gamers have had to deal with shitty ports quite often in the last couple of years, so their patience or friendliness has gone down quite a bit. Also for a PC gamer the forum to complain on is just a couple of clicks away. Maybe it is even that console gamers are willing to settle for less and are less critical. Your observation might be true or not, but I wouldn't say it is that simple to say, they are just worse people.

PC gamers are tired of shitty DRM besides terrible ports and before anyone tells me about toxic PC users I'd like to remind you all just exactly happened when Microsoft tried shoving DRM on the Xbox One.

@LordCrash I was qouting YOUR benchmarks pal so I only have the information as far as what you provided. If your going to call me out for commenting on "matters I don't know about" because "I haven't played it" then I would like to remind you that you did the exact same thing in the mgs thread regarding that franchise and its quality of story and gameplay. Hello pot meet kettle.

A pity for the woman who spend one year re-making Notre-Dame in the game (she did a very good job) and, in general, for all the artists. The cinematography is AMAZING, the colors, the scenery are a wonder (I liked the first kill a lot, the lightning and colors were very "painting-like"). Some animations are remarkable.

But the game itself sucks in both the game design/economy and technical departments and is even regressive compared to AC3 or Blackflag. In combat or exploration, when there isn't a regression, you have innovations we should have since Brotherhood (the ability to control our parkour down for instance).

Just look at what they did with (don't try to understand as you read, just read and keep the bullshit flows through your brain):
- you have blue chests you can only open using a phone app (still haven't figured out how, I don't have the patience)
- Nomad points (I got one Nomad thingy in game, but I have 450 mysterious points on my phone app, I have 0 ideas where I get that) to buy assassins and make timed missions in the phone app
- Open "clubs" in the game to open things in the phone app and get nomad points and francs
- "Initiates" level (web browser app to follow your "assassin level": EVERYTHING is "COMING SOON" for me, so it makes 0 sense and I still don't know how it works)
- GOLDEN CHESTS YOU CAN ONLY OPEN BY HAVING A CERTAIN INITIATE LEVEL..................................................
- XP points (to level your character in ACU)
- XP points (to level up your "Initiate level" on the Initiate web browser that doesn't work)
- XP points (to level up each of your assassins on the phone app)
- Francs to buy things
- Credo points to buy ameliorations for your stuff
- Skill points to buy skills (but since most skills aren't available after certain missions, this is mostly irelevant)
- Helix points (you have to buy those points with real money) to buy things you can normally get with ingame francs
- Uplay points to buy free 200 Helix points (got 400 for no reason) and Nomad points for your phone app
- Temporary boosts for gameplay purpose ("more strength for 3 minutes" for instance) you can buy with Helix points you have to buy with real money
- and you can buy a PREMIUM VERSION for the PHONE APP on top of that with real money
- you can buy 4 different "TIME SAVERS" with HELIX (real) MONEY to make every quest icons appear on your minimap........

And I haven't put a foot in coop yet, so I guess there are still things to discover..........
I can deal with technical difficulties myself (honestly I think that's what we're going to have for the whole generation ahead of us), but I can't deal with this nonsense. The game could have been immersive without all this shit.

They made a really good job for the city design and atmosphere. Faces are sometimes very expressive. The story is fine, nothing groundbreaking but fine.
You witness some incredible and interesting details here and there. The "french revolution" is told with little details, there are tons of things to see in the streets, how the people react, what they do, how they defend or motivate themselves, what they steal, what are their fear and hope, what they say about what they read or the rumor they heard. This is even moving or beautiful, like that woman who walks with a giant bottle on her back or this guy who use water to refresh himself in a corner, while the streets are full of fire and screams. That's the best part of the game for me, and they butchered it with glitches. I can't enjoy those beautifully thoughts details when a guy is flying in a wall or 10 feets above his chair. The "people" could have been what navigation was for Blackflag.

I've been reading Joseph de Maistre, Saint-Just, Rousseau, Tocqueville, Benjamin Constant, a biography of Talleyrand and the doctor Guillotin (and I live in Paris), and I can tell from this little "expertise" that they did a very good job at making some things appear in a video game. ACU did better than any "french revolution" movie I know.

The game is very, very glitchy and unstable (of course the game works better with a high end card released 2 months ago, duh) on my 770, SLI or not. I have between 18 and 45 fps depending on the place. I couldn't say what is my "average" FPS since FPS do whatever they want, whenever they want in this game. I got a lot of stutters and frightful and long freezes, and sometimes (rarely) crashes. Textures, even on high, are terrible. Textures on a PS2 emulator on my PC look better than "high" textures on ACU. LoD does whatever it wants too.

I forgot the AI. I don't have to say a word about this, everyone here knows how AI works in a Ubisoft game and how they're not competent enough to make it work. Well, I've seen worse things in ACU than in Blackflag.

Last edited:
As far as I see it: Fix the bugs and glitches, remove all the microtransaction/companion app crap and you get a decent game, which, while still being old tired AC, has made some innovations (especially investigation, crowd size) and has a beautiful art direction and mo-cap. Could be a decent game after all, or at least it had the potential to be.

Just look at what they did with (don't try to understand as you read, just read and keep the bullshit flows through your brain):
- you have blue chests you can only open using a phone app (still haven't figured out how, I don't have the patience)
- Nomad points (I got one Nomad thingy in game, but I have 450 mysterious points on my phone app, I have 0 ideas where I get that) to buy assassins and make timed missions in the phone app
- Open "clubs" in the game to open things in the phone app and get nomad points and francs
- "Initiates" level (web browser app to follow your "assassin level": EVERYTHING is "COMING SOON" for me, so it makes 0 sense and I still don't know how it works)
- GOLDEN CHESTS YOU CAN ONLY OPEN BY HAVING A CERTAIN INITIATE LEVEL..................................................
- XP points (to level your character in ACU)
- XP points (to level up your "Initiate level" on the Initiate web browser that doesn't work)
- XP points (to level up each of your assassins on the phone app)
- Francs to buy things
- Credo points to buy ameliorations for your stuff
- Skill points to buy skills (but since most skills aren't available after certain missions, this is mostly irelevant)
- Helix points (you have to buy those points with real money) to buy things you can normally get with ingame francs
- Uplay points to buy free 200 Helix points (got 400 for no reason) and Nomad points for your phone app
- Temporary boosts for gameplay purpose ("more strength for 3 minutes" for instance) you can buy with Helix points you have to buy with real money
- and you can buy a PREMIUM VERSION for the PHONE APP on top of that with real money
- you can buy 4 different "TIME SAVERS" with HELIX (real) MONEY to make every quest icons appear on your minimap........

And I haven't put a foot in coop yet, so I guess there are still things to discover..........
I can deal with technical difficulties myself (honestly I think that's what we're going to have for the whole generation ahead of us), but I can't deal with this nonsense. The game could have been immersive without all this shit.
God, I am confused :D Phone app?? Give me a break...
Why can't they just let us play the game? :wallbash:

Yes, but you don't need a lot of money to upgrade your stuff and finish the game. This is more a multiplayer/cosmetic/completionist thing, I think.
I'm in memory 6 (out of 12) and I bought some armor in memory 2 to have more stealth. I haven't bought anything after that and the game is still very easy when you know the series.

Well im a sucker for fancy outfits and weapons but i cant be bothered to put in a load of hours just earning money to buy a fucking hood -.-
I Also want to use them in the campaign so..........................
Trainers! :victory:

Ubisoft you have fucked me to much.I shan't be denied my fancy armors in a singleplayer game :2guns:

Top Bottom