Athletic-xp 'exploit' [Spoiler]

+
This is just a FYI of how to rapidly gain Athletic-xp without need for cyberware or weapons.

The way the game calculates XP is how much Stamina you drain. To gain +20 XP you need to drain the Stamina-bar 2-4 times or so. Early game it is 4 times, I think, while late-game it's around 2-3 times depending on if you put points into the Stamina-pool or not.

Anyway, on to the 'exploit'.

1. Find a 'training-place' to use as the dummy (concrete-pilar, tree etc.). Eg. could be the garage you start in with Jackie when saving Sandra Dorsett.
2. Start punching the dummy, but this might drain Stamina relatively slow, right?
3. The 'exploit' - tap the forward-move button while you attack it, it'll drain Stamina much more quickly.

Voila!

You can then gain Athletic-XP from level 1 before you meet any NPC's. The Athletic-tree gives you +20 carry capacity (when reaching lvl 2) and the next is a +Perk-point (at lvl 3). Go on as much as you want and rack up those points.

Edit. How I discovered this? I read some posts in the forums, but didn't pay any attention to it. It wasn't until I was going to do the fight against Razor Hughes in Pacifica with a late-game character (lvl 50), that I noticed I gained a tremendous amount of Ahtletic-XP after the fight (came up on screen, leveled up Athletics).

They need to fix athletics levelling up, I would have thought it would be higher priority as it's broken and any body build is missing a lot of its perks if you cannot level it effectively (not least of all carry weight). I wonder if the algorithms controlling athletics progression were even designed, just hastily hacked together by a coder with no design to follow or just not implemented. This is the one attribute out of them all letting down the game right now and stands out.

They need to fix athletics levelling up, I would have thought it would be higher priority as it's broken and any body build is missing a lot of its perks if you cannot level it effectively (not least of all carry weight). I wonder if the algorithms controlling athletics progression were even designed, just hastily hacked together by a coder with no design to follow or just not implemented. This is the one attribute out of them all letting down the game right now and stands out.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised that skill progression rewards for higher Body builds are still practically impossible to achieve via normal means of playing game in 1.3. While builds that don't focus on Body that much don't have the issue, the issue with Athletics landslides to other Attributes and cyberwate options with builds with Body 10+ as players need to compensate.

It's weird, because it's maybe me, but I think engineering and breach protocol level up a little bit more "quickly" than before :(
(but it's possible it's just me indeed).
Funny thing that I was wondering that but I can't pin it down for sure. Might be that playing game multiple times influence the experience, knowing where access points are, getting perhaps a bit better at Brech minigame, knowing to take better advantage of grenades and on my latest playthrough I finally knew that I don't get Tech experience from using Tech weapons unless I shoot enemies through walls and taking advantage of that. Some things we do consciously and some things we may not really think that much that all as on some level we know it. Haha.

For tech experience I toss 'nades sometimes but usually turning off cameras after each job gets me a lot
Yep, cameras & turrets whenever I can, I do it :)
Funny thing that I was wondering that but I can't pin it down for sure. Might be that playing game multiple times influence the experience, knowing where access points are, getting perhaps a bit better at Brech minigame, knowing to take better advantage of grenades and on my latest playthrough I finally knew that I don't get Tech experience from using Tech weapons unless I shoot enemies through walls and taking advantage of that. Some things we do consciously and some things we may not really think that much that all as on some level we know it. Haha.
That's for sure, but between 1.23 and 1.3, there are no difference in the way I play :)
I'm almost at max in Breach Protocol (20 - I "breach" whenever it's possible and 3 deamons for each access point), also almost at max in engeenering (18 - no grenade at all and rarely tech weapons) and I still have plenty of GIGs and Side Quests to do. So maybe you earn a little bit more xp each times (don't need "much more", just a "little bit more" make an big difference at the end).

But for Athletic, I see no difference, it's also "long" than before, just by running it's not efficient at all...

The concensus seems that Body doesn't get as much love as Tech or Intelligence. The main thing, for me at least, is the higher HP. I don't use Shotguns or fists very much, so those with an interest there could take advantage of increased Body-XP. But it comes handy when you want to use Katanas and wants to get up close and personal.

I didn't expect this thread to develop this way, but in fairness, the topic with focus on Body seems to need some more adressing gaining XP through natural means, and not through the 'exploit'. Not sure how CDPR can adress this, so maybe telling new players when they want higher XP in Athletics with greater HP, to pick up the Katana or some other melee-weapons. :shrug:

I will make a little test, "by chance" with my Body 5 all the Body Skills are not at max (even if I'm at level 50...)
So just for science :)
Post automatically merged:

So test realized...
My stats :
Body = 5
Stamina = 169 (very low)
Crit chance = 100% (one shot)
Crit Bonus = 265%

My test girl :
Melee maelstromer, perfect test subject.
cc0b9349-b01f-4f3f-aba3-b2258e58b5b0.PNG
XP earn by weapon (two try per weapon) :
Legendary Gorilla Arms = Street Brawler > 132, 135
Legendary Shotgun = Carnage > 152, 189
Legendary Baseball bat = Street Brawler > 135, 135
Legendary Katana = Blade > 135, 163
No athletic xp earned at all, obviously...

Last test, maybe by blocking and waiting for stamina draining...
Nope, nothing... I can stay like this indefinitely, my stamina is never drained... Even with my very low stamina (I didn't drink and only have the most basic stamina cyberware). I block this girl about 5 minutes, and no stamina drained and no athletic xp earned.
6344c636-a90a-4324-8d5d-0ee5c86e187e.PNG

So in "legit" way, you have to run, jump, swim or maybe use a dude like "human shield" (but with low Body skill, sound like a very bad idea in very hard...). In short, I'm level 50, I never use TP, I walk/run/jump all times (especially if my destination is lower than 1km), I have low stamina and I'm at level 3 in athletic only after 168 hours in 1.3...
The only way to fix that, except earn more xp when walking/running/swimming, is to earn athletic xp when you use melee weapon (blade, baseball bat or whatever melee weapon). Like if you earn 135 in Street Brawler with a baseball bat, you will also earn 70 in athletic.

Last edited:
The only way to fix that, except earn more xp when walking/running/swimming, is to earn athletic xp when you use melee weapon (blade, baseball bat or whatever melee weapon). Like if you earn 135 in Street Brawler with a baseball bat, you will also earn 70 in athletic.
Makes a lot of sense considering swinging a weapon effectively takes at least some athletic skill and the more you do it, the better you would get at it...

The concensus seems that Body doesn't get as much love as Tech or Intelligence. The main thing, for me at least, is the higher HP. I don't use Shotguns or fists very much, so those with an interest there could take advantage of increased Body-XP. But it comes handy when you want to use Katanas and wants to get up close and personal.

I didn't expect this thread to develop this way, but in fairness, the topic with focus on Body seems to need some more adressing gaining XP through natural means, and not through the 'exploit'. Not sure how CDPR can adress this, so maybe telling new players when they want higher XP in Athletics with greater HP, to pick up the Katana or some other melee-weapons. :shrug:
My first V had 20 Body and I used Kerenzikov glitch to get skill level rewards. It worked very well in the end game and I went later and checked two other ending options available for that V and it still worked really well. But there's something more important and that's the route there, that's where we spent most of our time and my V solved a lot of problems with a baseball bat. Melee or blades, when you need to get close, you will take hits and health bonuses from skill level rewards are quite helpful.

My latest playthrough, this time with Body 16, health regen perks were quite handy when going for (Don't Fear) the Reaper. Couldn't get skill progression past 9 or 10 though. That's with level 50 character with 99,9% completion. Body tree synergy is just crazy good if player can use a mod or work around progression issue. Not just melee but heavy weapons, but as I see it, skill level progress situation itself has led to builds focused on Body not being that popular.

Something you could add into your OP. If player installs "Dense Marrow" cyberware (Skeleton) it has melee weapon damage +7% / 15% / 25%, but stamina drain +10%, that may give a bit of boost too to leveling up Athletics with your method, I did that during my last playthrough but I didn't really make any calculations, fun, not a job.

For skill progression rewards level 13 reward is very well worth to note: "Increase carrying capacity by 100". There are only two slots available in Skeleton so this would allow using other slot for cyberware than Titanium Bones (increased carrying capacity) for Synaptic Signal Optimizier or Microvibration Generator, that can work really well with Dense Marrow.

Last edited:
I will make a little test, "by chance" with my Body 5 all the Body Skills are not at max (even if I'm at level 50...)

So test realized...
My stats :
Body = 5
Stamina = 169 (very low)
Crit Bonus = 265%

My test girl :
View attachment 11253856

Nope, nothing... I can stay like this indefinitely, my stamina is never drained... Even with my very low stamina (I didn't drink and only have the most basic stamina cyberware). I block this girl about 5 minutes, and no stamina drained and no athletic xp earned.
View attachment 11253859

So in "legit" way, you have to run, jump, swim or maybe use a dude like "human shield" (but with low Body skill, sound like a very bad idea in very hard...). In short, I'm level 50, I never use TP, I walk/run/jump all times (especially if my destination is lower than 1km), I have low stamina and I'm at level 3 in athletic only after 168 hours in 1.3...
Yes this sounds great

So I guess one of the key things would be not to take any of the stamina sustaining perks if you want to improve your athletics skills?

I can't drain my stamina bar, no matter what I try! So no scope for leveling up on my V
Level up first in Athletics by draining Stamina, then when yoiu're done, get the Stamina-related perks after.

So test realized...
My stats :
Body = 5
Stamina = 169 (very low)
Crit Bonus = 265%

My test girl :
View attachment 11253856

View attachment 11253859

I obviously used the Black Unicorn katana, but should work with all melee-weapons. I don't think Shotgun levels up Athletics, though it relies on the same Skill-tree (Body).

My first V had 20 Body and I used Kerenzikov glitch to get skill level rewards. It worked very well in the end game and I went later and checked two other ending options available for that V and it still worked really well. But there's something more important and that's the route there, that's where we spent most of our time and my V solved a lot of problems with a baseball bat. Melee or blades, when you need to get close, you will take hits and health bonuses from skill level rewards are quite helpful.

My latest playthrough, this time with Body 16, health regen perks were quite handy when going for (Don't Fear) the Reaper. Could get skill progression past 9 or 10 though. That's with level 50 character with 99,9 completion. Body tree synergy is just crazy good if player can use a mod or work around progression issue. Not just melee but heavy weapons, but as I see it, skill level progress situation itself has led to builds focused on Body not being that popular.

Something you could add into your OP. If player installs "Dense Marrow" cyberware (Skeleton) it has melee weapon damage +7% / 15% / 25%, but stamina drain +10%, that may give a bit of boost too to leveling up Atheletics with your method, I did that during my last playthrough but I didn't really make any calculations, fun, not a job.

For skill progression rewards level 13 reward is very well worth to note: "Increase carrying capacity by 100". There are only two slots available in Skeleton so this would allow using other slot for cyberware than Titanium Bones (increased carrying capacity) for Synaptic Signal Optimizier or Microvibration Generator, that can work really well with Dense Marrow.

What you said. :)

One more thing about Body focused builds not being that popular I forgot. This is related to Athletics only via its synergy with Brawling.

There's used to be a lot of topics, people asking why their melee, fists or baseball bats and alike were killing enemies, even though description says those weapons should be non-lethal. However in game play non-lethal aspect has been notoriously unreliable for perhaps more reasons than one. Killing / not killing aspect, there might be certain superhero aspect to it but, for this game but in addition to that, there might be good role-playing reasons why players want that to be situational. In this game it can be about not saving the world but players V trying to save him/herself and in this game, I get it.

So options are using Target Analysis mod for Kiroshi Optics (eyes) which will render all weapons non-lethal and negates damage bonus from headshots, so it's not situational, or focus on other Attributes than Body and install Pax mod to any ranged weapon with a mod slot. Think they should at some point come up with "Pax for melee" mod to make them super non-lethal of something because now, they are not delivering the experience players are expecting in convenient way and this of course again makes Body focused builds less appealing.

On a lighter tone, remembered old topic I started months ago. Didn't really get far, but might still be to fun read and a bit related too. What happens when stealth goes wrong with Body focused character? Area might be bit different now, appears that way from my later playthroughs, but you probably still recognize the place.

Last edited:
Big PS.

I may have forgotten another 'exploit' I've also used - the Berserker-cyberware. That was a huge miss from me, sorry, guys!!
(And you need Body to use this cyberware).

When you punch a 'round' during the effects of the cyberware (after pressing 'e'), the xp-gain I've found out is around 7500xp. Since each leveling up increases the need for the xp, you need to complete more rounds the higher the level. At the top-tier (lvl 19-20 at Body), you need to complete 5 rounds, I think (20% each round) to get to the next level.

Top Bottom