audio pop/ stuttering issue.

+
Audio popping bug?

After the PS4 Pro patches were released (so around 1.50) I started noticing the game audio would sometimes break/pop. Kind of like the popping sound you get plugging earbuds into a jack? It happened during dialogue, usually at the start of a word and also during gameplay. Since 1.60 it seems to be less frequent and less pronounced but still happens. I dont think it's an issue with my headset (Steelseries H-Wireless) as I've never had the issue with other games, but still I wanted to check and see if anyone else has had a similar issue? Thanks.

That type of static would be the result of a physical connection, if I'm understanding you correctly. Try cleaning out the audio jacks on both the PS4 and TV with compressed air. Also, check the actual cables. If the rubber lining is ripped, that can allow static to bridge to/from the surrounding environment and generate pops, whistles, crackles, etc. (If you find anything, electrical tape is your friend. :))

Also to add to the above that SigilFey mentioned, sometimes it helps if you switch the PS4 audio output settings from Dolby Digital 5.1ch or DTS 5.1ch to Linear PCM.

^ This.

Having the game channeling sounds down channels that don't exist can cause all sorts of interesting noises. :p

Thank you for the suggestions. I've cleaned out the optical ports that connect my amp to the PS4, replaced the optical cable with a brand new one, tried switching my audio primary output port between "Digital Out(Optical) Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch and AAC" also I have switched my "Audio Format (Priority)" between Linear PCM (my default, I prefer stero to virtual surround), Bitstream (Dolby) and Bitstream (DTS). Nothing seems to eliminate the problem, however as I said it is less noticeable than when it first occurred. I still dont seem to have the problem with other games either. Last one I played was the new God of War and I never noticed it happening once.

Hm. I'm not really that knowledgeable about sound stuff. My only other guess is that some of the sampling is out of range for the speakers. On PC, it's possible to set the sample rate, and things usually work best when it's at 16-bit, 48000 Hz, (DVD quality). Higher bit-rate or Hz can often push sounds into levels that cannot be handled by the hardware, resulting is static or pops. Not sure if there's something on PS4 like this setting?

Probably a good idea to send this into CDPR Support:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

I'm getting the same issue, and I know 100% it's not my connections or audio format, as it doesn't happen in any other games I play. It seems the patch that added HDR really messed some stuff up. I hope they're areaw of all these issues and are working on another patch that isn't just a hotfix

Glad to know I'm not the only one having the issue at least. Like I said I swear it never happened before 1.50 and it's only playing The Witcher 3 that I notice it so I dont think my headset is busted. I submitted a report to CDPR Support, hopefully they read it and are aware of the issue.

Hm. I would send a support ticket in as well, mnewton07. Maybe reference this thread. Seems to be an obscure issue, but two people with the same audio weirdness is quite coincidental. What brand and model of TV, speakers, etc. are you using? Finding a commonality will help.

Update: I don't understand this at all. I've been trying to narrow down the source of the problem, so I unplugged my headset/amp and sent all the consoles audio directly to my tv. Still have the issue, exactly the same. After that I went and borrowed a mates console and set it up then installed TW3 up to the latest patch. STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. On a brand new console. I dont get it lol. Could my game disc somehow be corrupted or??

Update: I don't understand this at all. I've been trying to narrow down the source of the problem, so I unplugged my headset/amp and sent all the consoles audio directly to my tv. Still have the issue, exactly the same. After that I went and borrowed a mates console and set it up then installed TW3 up to the latest patch. STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. On a brand new console. I dont get it lol. Could my game disc somehow be corrupted or??
I really believe it's a bug within the game files. The fact that you even tried it on a different ps4 and other people are having the same issue seems to point in that direction. All we can do is wait and hope they fix it. I usually have a lot of faith in cdpr, but I'm worried they won't fix this.

After that I went and borrowed a mates console and set it up then installed TW3 up to the latest patch. STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE.

Does your friend also have the issue?

On a brand new console. I dont get it lol. Could my game disc somehow be corrupted or??

Getting warmer... But no, the files on the game disk are almost certainly not the issue. The files installed on your PS4 may be, though. Hm.

Maybe it's something in your save-state. There have been a few issues over time with sounds persisting permanently, music kicking in when it's not supposed to, etc. It may be that the game saved while a sound was in the middle of executing, and the reference data for that particular sound is now corrupted in the savegame file. Do you happen to notice exactly when / how the popping occurs? Is a specific sound playing when it happens?

Have you tried beginning a new game to see if the issue appears with a brand, new save file?

I really believe it's a bug within the game files. The fact that you even tried it on a different ps4 and other people are having the same issue seems to point in that direction. All we can do is wait and hope they fix it. I usually have a lot of faith in cdpr, but I'm worried they won't fix this.

It's unlikely to happen unless the issue can be recreated. The primary goal now is to identify exactly the situation needed to produce the issue.

My friend doesnt actually own TW3. I installed it onto his console using my own game disc.

It doesnt seem to have a specific cause, or at least not one I'm picking up on. As I've said it happens mostly in dialogue, and I'm not sure if it's just in my mind but I think it happens more so with characters that have a deep voice. But I've also had it happen while Geralt is whistling to Roach, and even just while walking around the game world with the ambient sounds/music in the background.

I have tried starting a new game on both and still I have the issue. I've also tried reinstalling the game on my own console. One thing I haven't done however is delete my save data, which I'm hesitant to do as my favorite way to play is in NG+.. but if there's a chance that could fix this problem well...

Does your friend also have the issue?

Getting warmer... But no, the files on the game disk are almost certainly not the issue. The files installed on your PS4 may be, though. Hm.

Maybe it's something in your save-state. There have been a few issues over time with sounds persisting permanently, music kicking in when it's not supposed to, etc. It may be that the game saved while a sound was in the middle of executing, and the reference data for that particular sound is now corrupted in the savegame file. Do you happen to notice exactly when / how the popping occurs? Is a specific sound playing when it happens?

Have you tried beginning a new game to see if the issue appears with a brand, new save file?

It's unlikely to happen unless the issue can be recreated. The primary goal now is to identify exactly the situation needed to produce the issue.
My audio popping issue showed up after patch 1.62 after I started a new playthrough. completely new game file.

Another update: Alright so today I found out my brother owns a copy of TW3 for his Xbox One that he's never even installed. So I went ahead and installed it, set my headset up on the xbox and played for about 2 hours. Never had the sound happen once. So at this stage I'm 100% confident that the issue isn't with any of my hardware. I don't suppose deleting every trace of TW3 from my playstation and then reinstalling from scratch would have any effect? Bear in mind I already installed my disc on a brand new PS4 and still had the issue. I also haven't heard anything from CDPR Support about my bug submission so I don't even know that they're aware.. It probably doesnt sound like it's that big of a deal but honestly it's the biggest immersion breaker to be sitting there unable to focus on the games wonderful dialogue because all you can focus on is the audio stuttering -.-

I have it to. I just found out as well that yes it's just on the PS4 version. Apparently when the Xbox first got their Xbox one s support they had a similar audio issue, but theirs has been fixed. This was never an issue oneither version until the pro patches came, the PS4 pro also has messed up foliage. Hope they fix this soon

First off i wanted to say I did see the other topic related to this, i am just trying to bring more awareness to it. This does not seem to be a very big reported issue at the moment, but I can say it is definately not my hardware. I have taken my witcher disc and installed it on my friends ps4 with his surround system, and he noticed it almost instantly when we were playing on his ps4 pro.

Basically ever since the last 2 pro patches, there is this random audio popping and stuttering that happens with no rhyme or reason. it can be very immersion breaking especially to people who are sensitive to framerate and audio like myself. I think alot of people just havent reported anything wrong due to not being sensitive to the issue. its like with framerates, there can be a framedip that is definately there, but they will not notice it and think nothing is wrong.

Once you notice it you will start to notice everytime it happens, especially if you are playing on a high quality audio system that picks up everything, or a good pair of headphones as well. there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when or why it happens, but it seems to happen like 3 times every 5 minutes, and you will hear a brief pop and stutter. This has been one of the most amazing games this generation, and I have had no issue at all when I did a playthough this year. This kind of glitch for me is very gamebreaking, and i know i am not speaking for everyone, but I would love to do another playthough, and the issue makes me not want to.

This is NOT on the xbox or PC versions. I have tried the game on the xbox as well and it is currently fine. I know they had the xbox one s support before the pro, and they had issues of their own that did get fixed. I just wanted to bring this to CDPRs attention in hopes that they will attempt to patch and fix it before completely disbanding work on the game. I know how old it is now and i really just want to make it aware while some of the devs still have a team there to take a look at bugs for this game before all going over to cyberpunk. Thanks for all you do, I know you have always fixed your previous bugs in the past. Heres hoping for one more =)

i just put a topic up about it in the ps4 bug section as well to hopefully put more awareness to it. its been almost a month since their last patch and i really want them to see and fix this before they disband the witcher team to go fully to cyberpunk. It is definately not your setup or system, it is all on ps4s even standard ps4s, it was the patch before this one that initially started the issue., same as when the foliage issue appeared. Hoping they fix as well because it is kind of game breaking to people that are sensitive to audio issues

Top Bottom