Auto Saves/Checkpoints Not Auto-deleting

+
Playing on the Series X. With the new update about 12+ hours in I realized that the Checkpoints/Autosaves in my "Load game" section were not auto-deleting after a while like they do in most games. I had probably hundreds of saves and when the game would auto-save a bad stutter would occur. Any known way to fix this?

Strange, no issue on Series X too and there is no issue for me :(
I didn't touch anything since I started my new playthrough on the next-gen (so about 20-25hrs of playing yet). I just overwrite my only manual save regularely.
17-12-2022_13-23-35-2ttxeubm.jpg

Strange, no issue on Series X too and there is no issue for me :(
I didn't touch anything since I started my new playthrough on the next-gen (so about 20-25hrs of playing yet). I just overwrite my only manual save regularely.
View attachment 11334979
Hmm, interesting. I literally had a couple hundred probably and it took quite a while to scroll down to the manual save I used to start my NG+. Kinda glad it isn't a universal thing, but not sure if I'll be able to do anything about it now either. Will post here if I am able to fix it hough.

Edit: Only things that come to mind is that my manual save spots were filled before I started my NG+ where as you seem to be using a fresh save.

Last edited:
Edit: Only things that come to mind at that my manual save spots were filled before I started my NG+ where as you seem to be using a fresh save.
Yes, I deleted everything (all saves) before starting a fresh new playthrough (so the save/load tab was totally empty when I started)
Maybe try to make some cleaning and keep only saves that you really need (then clear the cache in case).

I am having the same problem. Unfortunately, my only method is to delete all of my progress on the local drive and the cloud. (and the issue will inevitably crop back up after another play through) or painstakingly delete them one by one.

Make sure your cloud backup like OneDrive(or something else) is not just reloading the save files to local after it notices a difference.

Hmm, interesting. I literally had a couple hundred probably and it took quite a while to scroll down to the manual save I used to start my NG+. Kinda glad it isn't a universal thing, but not sure if I'll be able to do anything about it now either. Will post here if I am able to fix it hough.

Edit: Only things that come to mind is that my manual save spots were filled before I started my NG+ where as you seem to be using a fresh save.i
Playing on the Series X. With the new update about 12+ hours in I realized that the Checkpoints/Autosaves in my "Load game" section were not auto-deleting after a while like they do in most games. I had probably hundreds of saves and when the game would auto-save a bad stutter would occur. Any known way to fix this?
FIX - Looks like the problem comes from older saves on an older version of the game. You need to get all of your saves to V 4.00 - if you want to keep old manual save slots pre-next gen update, load them up and they’ll automatically update to v4. To fix mine, I (painfully) manually deleted all checkpoint saves and old Manual save slots apart from my most recent Manual save and I’m back to 3 checkpoints and 2 auto saves.
To be clear, you don’t have to delete old save slots from before the update, just update them to v4.

Last edited:

Kantz_

Forum regular
FIX - Looks like the problem comes from older saves on an older version of the game. You need to get all of your saves to V 4.00 - if you want to keep old manual save slots pre-next gen update, load them up and they’ll automatically update to v4. To fix mine, I (painfully) manually deleted all checkpoint saves and old Manual save slots apart from my most recent Manual save and I’m back to 3 checkpoints and 2 auto saves.
To be clear, you don’t have to delete old save slots from before the update, just update them to v4.
I'll give that a try, thanks.

Having the same issue with hundreds and hundreds of auto- and controlpointsaves... in total it's already 3.4GB of saves on my local series x.

I had a couple of saves (like 5 or 6) from like 2020 when I first started witcher (have deleted them in the meantime). The rest is all from starting freshly mid december, when I started a new save after 4.0 Patch. I only have 2 manual saves I really need - so is there any way to get rid of the rest - other than manually deleting each of them individually? That would be almost a non-option and I would seriously consider stop playing it... which would be too bad, as I would love to start a new game+ once I finish Blood & Wine...

Having the same issue with hundreds and hundreds of auto- and controlpointsaves... in total it's already 3.4GB of saves on my local series x.

I had a couple of saves (like 5 or 6) from like 2020 when I first started witcher (have deleted them in the meantime). The rest is all from starting freshly mid december, when I started a new save after 4.0 Patch. I only have 2 manual saves I really need - so is there any way to get rid of the rest - other than manually deleting each of them individually? That would be almost a non-option and I would seriously consider stop playing it... which would be too bad, as I would love to start a new game+ once I finish Blood & Wine...
Pretty sure you can delete your save cache for Witcher 3 on your Xbox and you will retain your cloud saves, but lose any that are not in the cloud. Would save you form having to manually delete them all though.

Had the same problem on my series x. First I noticed Quick Resume stopped working and the xbox savegame syncing seemed to go wrong. Then I discovered the savegames occupied more then 3GB. It took me a couple of hours to delete them and after that quick resume worked again.
I had played some time after the update before I started a new NG+. All saves were from the NG+.

In the end, I did the same. Manually deleting all Controllpoint and auto saves....

Once done, everything started working again as supposed. 3 controlpoint and 2 automatic saves - managed properly by the game itself.

However, this is pretty obviously a bug - as the game is NOT properly managing it. I never played one of the old saves I had after the patch but rather started a complete new save. All of the hundreds of game managed saves had been from gameplaying AFTER ptach had been applied...

Top Bottom