Automatic Sword Sheathing Suggestion...

+
I read this a while ago myself.I can feel the frustration on hard, the line is too close for combat for this restriction to when and how long I can keep my sword out.The best comment made the most sense to me as well, having the sword sheath itself before getting into skinning gathering etc. I also think it should show and have time consumed for these actions. Then be able to cancel if being attacked to draw the weapon.The best way I handle it is the space bar pause, unbelievably helpful and it's how I survived these instances, every time.

Good points.What bothers me more than anything, is that the combat system in this game is so fluid and natural, so well-designed (in my opinion), that this "feature" ruins what could be perfect. I like being able to sheathe the weapon. But having it sheathed for me in VERY inopportune times, ruins the nature of the combat system. Everything else is fairly intuitive. So, having to fight an auto-sheathe feature in order to try to pull your sword BACK out before your mauled by a spawning enemy that you see but can''t do battle with because the game decided it was time for you to put away your sword, VERY much interupts the flow of combat.

The Witcher is a really good game. It does have some issues that also need to be patched that have been brought up on these forums a lot, like Dice NPC AI is really bad etc. However, there is one issue that is completely destroying The Witcher's good combat & exploration gameplay. Because of the large degree that this issue ruins The Witcher's gameplay, because it is the #1 gameplay-killing issue of The Witcher, it should be made the #1 Patch priority. This issue is so severe that it can't afford to be pushed to the wayside in favor of much less important patch changes (Ie: making Geralt walk). I am shocked that there have been 2 patches released so far for The Witcher, yet this #1 gameplay-killing issue has not been fixed. Making Geralt able to walk and things like that are things that can be afford to be pushed to the wayside and maybe not ever fixed via a patch, but the #1 gameplay-killing issue cannot. It must be fixed for The Witcher to have enjoyable gameplay that is not annoying.This issue degrades The Witcher's combat and exploration gameplay quality from 100%, to around 40%. The issue is, automatic sheathing of weapons and torches about every 30 seconds, and inability to draw your sword whenever you need to. This is one of the most annoying, gameplay-killing features ever put into any RPG game. The worst part is, there is no reason for this. A simple fix via a patch adding a sheath/unsheath hotkey, letting you draw your sword whenever you want to, and turning off automatic sheathing every 30 seconds, would make The Witcher's gameplay 10 000x better and more enjoyable than it is now. Not only is the sheathing problem immensely annoying, but also it allows enemies to get unfair cheap shots in on you before you can draw your sword. Ie: I know I am about to head into a shack full of hostile enemies I must kill, yet I can't draw my sword prior to entering the shack? Instead I must enter and draw my sword whilst being bludgeoned by 5+ enemies? ??? But the cheap shots are a secondary issue to the inherent sheer annoyance & aggravation coupled with this "feature". This "feature" makes playing The Witcher into a major pain in the butt instead of fun. To simply fix this issue though, would turn that all around instantly and make The Witcher's gameplay some of the best ever.. The reason I've made a standalone thread like this is because there are many great patch ides that "would be nice to have" (good Dice poker AI, Geralt walking etc.), however, the sheathing problem is not in that category. It's a million times more important than anything in the "would be nice to have" category. "The automatic sheathing/inability to draw your sword problem" is in a category of: "100% fundamentally necessary to fix via a Patch". Please make the #1 gameplay-killing issue of The Witcher the #1 Patch priority.

No offense, but this specific issue has already been brought up by me personally and others as well. Not sure what you're reading, but your argument reads almost like mine did. My point is.....you're not the only one who figured this out a while back and posted on it. ;DIt's not gameplay killing however (IMHO). And I can draw or sheathe sword pretty much any time I want by hitting the appropriate key. My beef was it's autosheathed every time I enter/exit an area when i don't want it to.

I don't know. I guess it would be nice to have, but I didn't find it more than mildly annoying when I played through the first time and it's not really any worse on this play through. So yeah... nice to have I guess.

Navaros said:
"The automatic sheathing/inability to draw your sword problem" is in a category of: "100% fundamentally necessary to fix via a Patch".
Hardly - it doesn't stop you from playing the game, it doesn't even stop you from enjoying the game (as so many great reviews and the praise from players shows). :p

I rarely need to have a sword drawn anyway.My Geralt is primarily a mage, so I usually cast a sign first, then draw.Either my foes are screaming in pain and/or on fire, or I got me a shield, or they're flat on their back and/or stunned .. and I'll hack 'em up at leisure.

There is only one reason for me that could stop me from playing: game crashes that I have to repeat certain parts of the game up to 3 times, keep my fingers crossed that I may continue ;DThe automatic sheathing is bothersome but I can live with it. Sure, Geralt has supernatural abilities and notices danger before a nomal human being my get aware of it. But actually in-game he reacts on the very last second... okay, that's odd o_O When the medallion starts to vibrate I draw the sword, at the latest when I see the enemy approaching or the sound gets tense.When Geralt finishes a monster and unsheath though the next enemy is already on the way I just urge him to take the sword one more time. Okay, it's a bit tricky when you enter a building and there you are immediately crowded... especially when a longer loading time delays your actions. Hmmm... I agree this should be patched

Also, while I appreciate the tips on how to get around this "feature," I really think that we shouldn't have to be inventing ways to get around flaws in the game if those flaws can be fixed.

is there even gunna be another patch? after the chapter 3 troubles ive put up my CD and decided to awate further developments (pun intended) but im not seeing anything about another patch.

agreed this needs to be fixed as it is one of the more annoying things in the witcher.worst thing is when trying to use a torch in a very dark crypt....constatly putting it away everytime i pick something up is so annoying.

But using a torch in pitch dark crypts etc is fiddly thing. When Geralt draws his sword and starts fighting you see nothing but the red health ring of the enemy. If an other enemy approaches whereas Geralt fights... don't see it >..<

yes it was a bit of a problem when fighting but i would just draw the enemy into the light...that didn't really bother me...infact i loved that the game that was dark enough to force you to use a cat potion or torch to see...in games like oblivion its always so light in dark caves and at night that you never need to...anyway it was the constant torch putting away that drove me madfor example...i killed an enemy and then pull my torch out....3 seconds later torch gets auto-sheathed...grr...i pull torch out and then pick up enemy remains...3 seconds later torch gets auto-sheathed...grr...i pull torch out and then look inside a trunk...3 seconds later torch gets auto-sheathed...grr....etc etc....just let me keep it out all the time, PLEASE!

@Leki So true, this is why I never use torches, I'd think game mechanics could combo a single handed hold at least until I fight again. Even then just put the torch away AFTER my sword was drawn and torch is in the other hand WHILE I hold my sword before the fight; and in a sewer I could toss it in the water but it'd be hard to light again. lol Though, even if I'm in a fricken' cave I could realistically throw the torch even as I go into battle mode instead of put it out and put it away. I also would probably have a flame retardent wrap to put out and quickly stuff a torch but as for programming this all in game, I have no clue how that would work.

I have to agree.The automatic sheathing of weapon is really annoying. After all the RPG's that have been made, to have a feature like this is basically unthinkable.

Well, no self-respecting Warrior would run around with his weapon at the ready, to much of a chance to stumble and hurt yourself or allies.But yes, it's annoying to have Cutscenes that begin with Geralt sheathing his weapon, then after a nice chat geralt draws the weapon, but when control is given back to you the weapon is sheated again. Same for auto-sheating when entering houses, five enemies attack him but Geralt first sheathes his weapon because the Witcher's first commandment seems to be "Thou shallst sheathe thy sword upon entering thy clients home."So three things there:1. Auto-sheathing when no hostiles are attacking.Okay for me, adds even some realism (tm)2. Auto-sheathing when entering houses.Remove it, 1. is good enough and when you're prepared for a fight, right now it's actually safer to sheathe your weapon before entering - silly.3. Drawing weapons in cutscenesForce it in game as well.

Navaros said:
The issue is, automatic sheathing of weapons and torches about every 30 seconds, and inability to draw your sword whenever you need to. This is one of the most annoying, gameplay-killing features ever put into any RPG game. The worst part is, there is no reason for this.
Actually, there is a reason. The reason is - the player could accidentally kill someone with their sword drawn after a fight (both chat mode and combat mode use the same mouse button for actions as you're aware). That's why after the combat mode ends the weapons are automatically sheathed. Now whether it's a good or a bad feature... It was actually one of the more debated topics among us (we talked about it several times actually)... Dan.

DanDraver said:
DanDraver said:
The issue is, automatic sheathing of weapons and torches about every 30 seconds, and inability to draw your sword whenever you need to. This is one of the most annoying, gameplay-killing features ever put into any RPG game. The worst part is, there is no reason for this.
Actually, there is a reason. The reason is - the player could accidentally kill someone with their sword drawn after a fight (both chat mode and combat mode use the same mouse button for actions as you're aware). That's why after the combat mode ends the weapons are automatically sheathed. Now whether it's a good or a bad feature... It was actually one of the more debated topics among us (we talked about it several times actually)... Dan.
Sword sheathing? Debated? Interesting and well, hey I'm glad to hear an official response regardless. You touched on something I'm wishing you might divulge which was, is this also to prevent the killing of children NPC's and quest NPC's? Thx.

Top Bottom