automatically replenishing potions - how do i turn it off?

+

merkk

Forum regular
automatically replenishing potions - how do i turn it off?

If i have a potion equipped and I meditate, it automatically replaces any that i've used. Is there a way to turn this off so it only creates potions if i specifically do it?

If i have a potion equipped and I meditate, it automatically replaces any that i've used. Is there a way to turn this off so it only creates potions if i specifically do it?

No, you're now suffering the consequences of CDPR fixing what wasn't broken.

TW1 had the perfect alchemy system.

TW2 simplified it, but it was still decent.

TW3 is a joke when it comes to alchemy.

Wait for mods or CDPR to wake up.

yeah, alchemy now sucks
I cant see why we should have 50 different herbs, and at the same time always miss a item to make the potion you want..
Having a few alchemy properties like W1 is a lot better

I rather prefer this method myself. If I don't want a certain potion clogging up my inventory, I just stop collecting that particular plant. I think I prefer it this way because I don't really want to push buttons to make potions each time I need one; meditating and making camp and doing all the things in one task is just right.

I rather prefer this method myself. If I don't want a certain potion clogging up my inventory, I just stop collecting that particular plant. I think I prefer it this way because I don't really want to push buttons to make potions each time I need one; meditating and making camp and doing all the things in one task is just right.

Yeah, if it only use the ingredients in your inventory, alongside the alcohol to refill the potions, so that it didn't break absolutely every semblance of immersion it might have had :/
Oh and if you maybe actually drank the potions, not just "popped the buff" like this is some half-assed MMO.

merkk

Forum regular
yeah, alchemy now sucks
I cant see why we should have 50 different herbs, and at the same time always miss a item to make the potion you want..
Having a few alchemy properties like W1 is a lot better
I think the number of crafting items is way too high. I mean, it's nice to have a detailed crafting system. But it's really hard to keep track of what breaks down into what and then after it's broken down what subcomponents craft into components so i can craft gear ;p

I dont mind detailed - but they need a better way of organizing or, or they need to simplify it.

Yeah, if it only use the ingredients in your inventory, alongside the alcohol to refill the potions, so that it didn't break absolutely every semblance of immersion it might have had :/
Oh and if you maybe actually drank the potions, not just "popped the buff" like this is some half-assed MMO.

Sorry, I think I do not understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you think the potions are automatically created without using any of the ingredients in the inventory? You definitely need those ingredients in your bag or they aren't created during meditation.

I think the number of crafting items is way too high. I mean, it's nice to have a detailed crafting system. But it's really hard to keep track of what breaks down into what and then after it's broken down what subcomponents craft into components so i can craft gear ;p

I dont mind detailed - but they need a better way of organizing or, or they need to simplify it.

That's the thing though, it's too detailed for what really is needed... you have components, rare components, and even components that have to be crafted to make certain items... yet, aside from crossbow bolts, you only have to ever make everything once. It just feels... convoluted for no reason.

Remove auto refilling, make potions, oils, poisons and decoctions last longer, reduce/diversify the ingredients you need, and give them a use animation (so they cannot be simple "popped" any time) = 100% more workable and immersive alchemy system.

ah the witcher 1 alchemy was te best you actually cared about recolecting herbs to actualy make potions no just make one then jut buy alcohol (tw3 system)

Sorry, I think I do not understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you think the potions are automatically created without using any of the ingredients in the inventory? You definitely need those ingredients in your bag or they aren't created during meditation.

Hmm really it only ever mentions needed alcohol when refilling the inventory. Dont believe I have seen it taking other mats as well.

Gotta say i liked TW1 potion system far more than i do this one, it was "just right" in terms of ingredient gathering and mixing imo

I hated the old system - I never used the potions because the collecting was a pain. At least in W3 I use potions now, That said, if you liked the hunt for ingredients aspect and the pre-fight application, that is gone and I can see why you would not like this system. I wonder if there is a way to allow both?

My guess is with W3 begin so huge, they did not want you to have to get items all the time for your potions? Its also harder to do pre-fight prep in an open world.

I hated the old system - I never used the potions because the collecting was a pain. At least in W3 I use potions now, That said, if you liked the hunt for ingredients aspect and the pre-fight application, that is gone and I can see why you would not like this system. I wonder if there is a way to allow both?

My guess is with W3 begin so huge, they did not want you to have to get items all the time for your potions? Its also harder to do pre-fight prep in an open world.

That would be absolutely ok, IF there wasn't a incredibly deep loot/item system in place already.

To have both couldn't be too hard, tbh... there's already a mod that changes the alchemy system to a be little more "realistic", so in the end, there will be many unofficial options for players. Whether or not CDPR should implement a second official system for people to choose from, though, I dunno... probably too much afford.

It's no matter of immersion. Now the entire system is completely different. You have to pick up very specific herbs to create a potion. Whitout the autorefill, the game would turn out in hours of grinding.
In the previous games, you needed generic herbs.

I like the current system. The old system was too annoying. I don't have time to go look for herbs everytime I want to make/use a potion. The result ended up being that I never bothered with using potions, or oil etc.

Now, I use them all the time. It's great. The oils are still bad tho, coz you can't use them in combat. Sometimes I don't even know who I am fighting until I run in to combat mode.

I like the current system. The old system was too annoying. I don't have time to go look for herbs everytime I want to make/use a potion. The result ended up being that I never bothered with using potions, or oil etc.

Now, I use them all the time. It's great. The oils are still bad tho, coz you can't use them in combat. Sometimes I don't even know who I am fighting until I run in to combat mode.

agree on both points.

thanks to the new system, making the first potion is a little hard since its not so easy coming up with the ingredients, but i dont mind that because it's a one time affair. once you manage to get all you need than you create the potion and that's it - you got it for good. it makes creating the potion harder but more satisfying to do, and not a chore cuz you only do it once.
and, again, thanks to this - im using potions A LOT now. in TW2 i didnt bother. was too much pain to collect them every single time.

as to oils - yeah, sometimes you need to read and listen to the quest to assume what monster you are going to fight and use the proper oil, but i usually managed to do that. also sometimes i see the monster before engaging into combat so i stay far from it, use the oil, then go close and agro it.

and i would also like a small 1 second animation for using potions. just a quick "geralt brings his left hand to his mouth" animation during combat or no combat to make it seem less "game-y". just like signs are not instand but need half a second to cast (or more, in alternative modes) and the game still works - so can potions.

They could atleast bring the drinking animations back, will take mods to that though cause according to CDPR "it ruins the pacing and is too hardcore"... somehow.

Since both ways are liked by different people, i personally think that this would be the best option:
Witcher 1 potion system with small edit box somewhere at the brewing window (for every potion) where you can specify limit you want to autoreplenish. If set to 0, it wont replenish and waste alcohol/ingredients. That way, people who like autoreplenish can set potion limits according to their play style and people who like to get their hands dirty can make all potions manually. Best of both worlds i think!

Top Bottom