Available for pre-order on Steam so early?

+
Available for pre-order on Steam so early?

I logged into Steam today and almost had an heart attack as "Purchase the Witcher 2 online fom store" appeared on my screen ... it even said "Release date: November".I was stunned .. and dubiously followed the buy now link, which of course then told me it wasn't available just yet. Bad wording on the advert there, guys, false hope. Please change it asap.Strange though that a game like Witcher 2 is being pre-order available a whole 6 months before release ... that is a huge amount of time to be having a game on pre-order in my opinion, and in all honesty I cannot think of many other tiltles that had such a huge delay between pre-order and release.Why the 6 months then? Are the devs in financial difficulty and need cash quick or something? I am quite annoyed at the wording on the Steam advert, because even though 99% of my brain knew it wasn't released until May 2011, that other 1% was totally tricked by the fact the ad said "BUY NOW" and "RELEASED NOV 2010" ... trying to catch a few unwary punters maybe?

I pre-ordered through gog.com, and on that site, they aren't collecting any money until the game is released. Are you sure you have to pay at the time of order and not at the time of delivery if you pre-order on Steam?

Tbh, I am not sure as I stopped when I saw it was pre-order ... I don't want to commit to any one place so far in advance of release. For example, there is a seller on amazon already offering the full CE for £24, £7 cheaper than Steam and it is for the hard copy.When a game is massive and tripleA - like HL2 - it is quite expected to have a large time beteen pre-order and release - I think GTA4 had an early pre-order too - but I am still a bit shocked that The Witcher 2 is 6 month pre-order. I love The Witcher to bits, but it was in no way a massively anticipated title like HL2, GTA4, etc etc .. even though it was 100 times better than both those games.

Stopbitingme said:
I am still a bit shocked that The Witcher 2 is 6 month pre-order. I love The Witcher to bits, but it was in no way a massively anticipated title like HL2, GTA4, etc etc .. even though it was 100 times better than both those games.
I think maybe the folks at CDPR think that one way to become a massively-anticipated title is to behave as if you're already a massively-anticipated title. Certainly there's no game that's more anticipated by ME. :)

I have understand that the STEAM version will include STEAM Cloud support and achievements... is it true?

FuKuy said:
I have understand that the STEAM version will include STEAM Cloud support and achievements... is it true?
I don't know what Steam Cloud is, coz I don't use Steam, but we were said that the Steam version of TW2 will support online-saving and will have some unique (only for Steam) achievements.

Corylea said:
I pre-ordered through gog.com, and on that site, they aren't collecting any money until the game is released.
Cory, do you have any experience with those guys? I purchased only one game through Steam so far, and can't say I was overly impressed with their download (or rather, upload) speed. It's even more frustrating when you're sitting on a high speed broadband connection and wait for 12 hours or more to get a game... makes you wanna cancel and drive to the next town to get if from the shelf.

FuKuy said:
i shut off steam cloud. how long does it take to change settings in option menu :rolleyes:also, i don't care about achievements. manufactured incentive for games that is not interesting enough on its own imo. now it has become a staple of gaming. very annoying. takes away from the purpose of game. encourages childish behavior.

stanpapusa said:
stanpapusa said:
I pre-ordered through gog.com, and on that site, they aren't collecting any money until the game is released.
Cory, do you have any experience with those guys? I purchased only one game through Steam so far, and can't say I was overly impressed with their download (or rather, upload) speed. It's even more frustrating when you're sitting on a high speed broadband connection and wait for 12 hours or more to get a game... makes you wanna cancel and drive to the next town to get if from the shelf.
My experience with GOG has been good, but this is a different situation. All the other games they sell are old ones, and while I think they do a fairly brisk business, given that they're selling games that are a decade old, that's nothing like having half a million people wanting to download the same game on release day.I'm buying from GOG for three reasons:1. GOG is owned by CDPR, so I'm hoping that means that they get to keep more of the money if I buy through them -- I'm assuming that they'll be their own publisher, instead of splitting with Atari. (Edited to add: This has now been confirmed by CDPR. Buying from GOG.com puts the most money in CDPR's pocket.)2. If you buy the game on GOG, you get a pdf version of the art book. The only other way to get the art book is by buying the Collector's Edition. Not only is the CE hugely expensive, but it's full of stuff that another poster has described as "dust collectors." I don't need a Geralt head or a Temerian coin or any of that stuff (though I would kind of like to have the playing cards). My house is so full of books that it's already bursting at the seams. Buying from GOG allows me to look at the art book without having to store the art book, or at least, without having to store it anywhere but on my hard drive. :)3. There's no DRM in the GOG version and probably no censorship, either. (We don't know yet about the boxed versions; they might or might not have either.)To me, the combination of #1 , #2, and #3 spells GOG. I have no idea if they'll have speedy downloads or not. I'm hoping so but guessing not. :)

Corylea:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witcher-Premium-PC-DVD/dp/B004CJ8YTO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1290129606&sr=8-11Pretty damn cheap for the CE.

Stopbitingme said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witcher-Premium-PC-DVD/dp/B004CJ8YTO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1290129606&sr=8-11Pretty damn cheap for the CE.
Uh, your link takes me to the Premium Edition. ??

Collector's edition for 69http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witcher-Collectors-PC-DVD/dp/B004C03L5K/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290140438&sr=1-11

I am getting it from steam because I like the integration their system offers. If it wasn't available from steam, I would go for the gog version.

Here's my take on the subject...TW2 is a AAA game because TW1 received so many awards and high game industry ratings.I will pre-order from GOG, then decide where to buy the hard copy, and which one. I have no love for DRM or for the large game distributers. I do, however have a great love of the developers, and if giving my money to GOG means keeping it in the family, then that's what I'd prefer to do.

How come the CE is 69 euro's on Amazon UK but 130 dollars on Amazon US? If this google currency conversion thing is right that comes out to 94 euro's? So around 34 dollars cheaper?Especially Ironic when their GoG page says this:GOG.com's Fair Price Package - EU and UK customers receive a store credit in USD for the price difference between their preorder price & the worldwide one. So why shaft the US?

I also wonder why the UK Version is so cheap. German Amazon is 50€ while the UK one is only 28€. If you add the 5€ rip-off shipping, you still save 17 bucks and get a physical release.

I pre-order Alpha Protocol on Steam almost a year before release, so I don't think its that unusual.

Sifer2 said:
How come the CE is 69 euro's on Amazon UK but 130 dollars on Amazon US? If this google currency conversion thing is right that comes out to 94 euro's? So around 34 dollars cheaper?Especially Ironic when their GoG page says this:GOG.com's Fair Price Package - EU and UK customers receive a store credit in USD for the price difference between their preorder price & the worldwide one. So why shaft the US?
It's POUNDS on Amazon UK not EUROS.

Thank you for making the game DRM-free, CDProjekt, but I hope that that the usage of STEAM Cloud/Achievements won't eventuallly make the game tied to a STEAM account, it'd be really disappointing news. Thank you for putting it available on Good Old Games as well. I plan to purchase several copies to support your company.

I hope GOG is feeding their servers their vitamins for the next 6 months. Wouldn't want to encounter problems when loads of people start downloading their pre-ordered copies! ;)(Steam already has this ironed out, I think... they're the orange box people, right?)

Top Bottom