Baba Yaga, and other myths and legends

+
I think visual the impact of Baba Yaga is a bit overwhelming. Maybe if they seemed more spirit like, seen through a thick mist. Love their voices though.

I think visual the impact of Baba Yaga is a bit overwhelming. Maybe if they seemed more spirit like, seen through a thick mist. Love their voices though.
I loved the concept art but I was kind of dissapointed with their appearance as well. They're kind of overdone, and the animations are very exaggerated especially the fat crone. Guess might as well get over it and let it grow on me since they're not gonna redesign them.

I liked the one with the hat the most, probably because her design is more simple. I don't like the red veil one of them has, too distracting. The concept art has like a wooden mask.

View attachment 5482

If they make her veil black and give her a robe it would look better. Or the wooden mask from the concept art.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2014-08-21-04h46m50s111.jpg
    vlcsnap-2014-08-21-04h46m50s111.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Holy crap, more speculation is about to be thrown at you guys, not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

Remember the singular eye in the tapestry above the old-crones? Well I just noticed this beast with a similar red eye here at 4:05:

http://youtu.be/Q4DnfmhJiGM?t=4m5s

Perhaps there's a greater power that overlooks the Crones and the massive beast? Or maybe the Crones and the beast are related? (If someone knows what the beast is called please let me know so I don't sound like an idiot) :)

Then again I've looked at other screenshots of the same beast except its eye was not glowing red, so who knows!

But I'm in love with the design and VA of the Crones.

@greySynapse; Nice catch ! There certainly is a resemblance in skintone between the Crones & that beast. That's Lambert fighting though and I don't think anyone knows how he's going to fit into the game yet. I also like the Crones, though I hope the other two concept arts still somehow make it into the game, I thought they were great.

Totally random trivia : Baba in greek means papa ( father ).

For the sake of the earlier conversation, Baboulas is the greek word for Bogeyman. According to Wikipedia, ( copy - paste ) " In Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Serbia and Macedonia, the Bogeyman is called Babaroga, baba meaning old woman and rogovi meaning horns, literally meaning old woman with horns. The details vary from one household to another. In one household, babaroga takes children, puts them in a sack and then, when it comes to its cave, eats them. In another household, it takes children and pulls them up through tiny holes in the ceiling. " That's a nice tie in between Baba Yaga, Baba Roga, and the Bogeyman.

we have same kind of lore for this in our country, we called them as "Wewe Gombel". so freaky . . . . .

Thanks so much for that, I just read the wikipedia entry on it, very interesting, and very like the nature of old myth rather than more recent "folklore", in that the entity is rather benevolent, even though at the same time it serves the purpose of educating small children on how they should behave in an effective manner. Some might argue scaring a child is not good - but its a matter of degrees eh? - others would say physical punishment by a loved one & guardian is more damaging.

Totally random trivia : Baba in greek means papa ( father ).

For the sake of the earlier conversation, Baboulas is the greek word for Bogeyman. ... That's a nice tie in between Baba Yaga, Baba Roga, and the Bogeyman.

You've clearly read through the entire thread, we did sidetrack into an informative conversation on language differences & similarities, I recommend it to anyone who can find the time ! Thanks for your Input, I love the Greek Legends & History... often wish I lived in that Golden Age myself ;)

Holy crap, more speculation is about to be thrown at you guys, not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

Remember the singular eye in the tapestry above the old-crones?

I noticed this from the start and I was tempted to make a thread just to ask clarification from the devs of that. Because if anyone is interested in politics knows pretty well what this eye means when it is appearing over things...

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they actually got them pretty close to the folklore versions and how I would imagine them. Well, at least 2 of them, the fat one seems a bit, well, too fat, maybe she's been eating too many children.
Now if only they had a house standing on chicken legs and it would be perfect. :)

I loved the concept art but I was kind of dissapointed with their appearance as well. They're kind of overdone, and the animations are very exaggerated especially the fat crone. Guess might as well get over it and let it grow on me since they're not gonna redesign them.

I liked the one with the hat the most, probably because her design is more simple. I don't like the red veil one of them has, too distracting. The concept art has like a wooden mask.

View attachment 5482

If they make her veil black and give her a robe it would look better. Or the wooden mask from the concept art.

I don't think they are overdone, they are supposed to be ugly. I agree on the mask though, it looks better than the veil. The fat one also kind of sounds like a draugir or the like. :)
This gameplay sneak peak got me very interested in the whole quest, I will thoroughly explore it to see how much details they've put into these baba yagas and then I'll kill them.
Yeah, I like playing in a way that aligns with my moral compass and the Witcher games are perfect in this regard, so many grey areas.

(If someone knows what the beast is called please let me know so I don't sound like an idiot) :)
The devs have been calling it the Fiend, I believe. It does seem to linger in the same neighbourhood as the witches' village. Though it's also possible that it's only connected to them thematically through the Slavic myth influences.

I am really impressed by the ladies of the woods. Even if the fairy tales are full of witches and old hags (at least in europe) they never appear as grotesque as we see it here.
I hope we learn something more about them during the game. I wonder if they once looked like they do in the tapestry.

Aes Sidhe, indeed, mythologies and legends ( especially greek, norse and celtic ) are a special part of my childhood, teen and adult life, they have influenced my music tastes, what I read and almost everything about me. The conversation was too awesome and informative not to read the whole thing :D

i liked them in the GC gameplay video, they really looked ugly.............................i hope we cant have sex with them.............just think about it for a sec :wat:

i liked them in the GC gameplay video, they really looked ugly.............................i hope we cant have sex with them.............just think about it for a sec :wat:

I'd better not, even for a sec.
But I wonder what the fight with them would be like. :hmm:

indeed, mythologies and legends ( especially greek, norse and celtic ) are a special part of my childhood, teen and adult life, they have influenced my music tastes, what I read and almost everything about me.

I couldn't agree more mate ! :)

Of all the influences in my life, many have been dropped, but the myths remain, a testament to their timeless nature, I think.

It's universally recognised that the Greek Myths from the Master Poets Homer & Hesiod are the basis for all science & philosophy that has made the world we live in. They inspired the great thinkers that flourished in the following ~400 years, gave them a focus for their ideas, and they in turn all things that came after in modern thought. Our world would be unrecognisable without them, I hope they continue to be appreciated for the foundation they provided.

I could say the same for the effect of Irish myths on my people, but that would pale in comparison to the consequences of the Classics. ;)

Dude! You can't have sex witch them! Didn't you noticed they walk in a odd way because they have something...someone... stuck in their vaginas...? :look:
Take a second look to the video.
So, Baba Yaga is like the Big Bad wolf in western Europe? Is she the witch in Hansel & Gretel ?

Top Bottom