back in the hospital.... minor heart attack apparently yay me

+
Humm ... almost tempted to offer to trade Wisdom000 for my blood clots (Factor V Leiden).

Thanks everyone... again...

My visit to the ER, where I posted the initial message, turned into a 3 night/4 day stay...

2 stints and 6 pills a day later I get to learn I apparently had a heart attack, though if I did it means I have actually had a couple of hundred, an average of 6-8 a day, for the last couple of months... so not sure how much faith I put in that theory...

What is inarguable is my high blood pressure, hypertension, exascerbated by anxiety and whitty diet, as well as no excercise due to my back problems...

I would have written this message sooner, but honestly, I just feel kind of ashamed I have let myself get this far, and kind of depressed. I also always feel wierd and kinda stupid, as if I am being needy or attention whoring by sharing this stuff with you guys... but I also consider the people here my friends, so there is that...

I am trying to cut back on smoking, being back at work today has helped, down to 1 every hour an a half, hopefully by this time next week it will be no more than 1 every 4 hours. Going cold turkey is impossible, as every I know smokes, including everyone I live with.

I am trying to eat better, trying being the operative term here as well...

but I have pretty much eliminated sodas, and drink pretty much nothing but water, which has to count for something...

Anyway, I am ok, and on the more important note, going to bite the bullet and go for paid hosting, so DF should be back up again soon.

Forum veteran
Drinking water is way more healthy than most people give it credit for. Years and years ago I had a period where I drank 10 liters or so a day, and I felt like I could single-handedly arm wrestle the entire Greek pantheon.

Who are you going with for hosting your site?

Drinking water is way more healthy than most people give it credit for. Years and years ago I had a period where I drank 10 liters or so a day, and I felt like I could single-handedly arm wrestle the entire Greek pantheon.

Who are you going with for hosting your site?

Haven't decided yet, recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Forum veteran
I use Hostmetro for my site right now after switching from Hostgator. Both are good depending on your needs. On Gator, you're just one of a bazillion other sites, and actually getting someone to talk to without having to wait hours and hours and hours is basically impossible. With Metro, they've responded to me on three separate occasions within 2 hours. That being said, my site tends to go down occasionally for 1-2 hours, and they have bandwidth caps (100 gigs a month on the plan I got) that have to be accounted for while the Gator hosting I used to have was more or less unlimited.

Either way, you get the best value by waiting for a holiday sale where they slash their hosting prices and buying something ridiculous like 3 years of hosting at once. Given the right sale, you could get several years of good hosting for 60-70 bucks.

A) CELERY. LEARN TO LOVE IT. Also walking. Or swimming. Or biking. It sucks, actually, but hey. Them's the breaks. Buy lots of berries, etc.
If you want diet/exercise advice, I've dumped 50 pounds in a half-year a few times, ( injury once, couple times got tired of being fat and strong and opted for fast and lean again...I do this), without drugs, ( mostly..I did try ECA stacks for a bit, but that's not for you) and I have some familiarity with the process now. That said, I'm no Abs Guy and can't get you there, but I can tell you what works to steadily burn off flab to the 200 pound mark.

B) paypal/donation button. Add one, so those of us who leech your shit can, you know, help out.

Good to hear you're out of the hospital. The path to better health is best done in small manageable steps. Good luck.

Forum veteran
That said, I'm no Abs Guy and can't get you there
Two words: ab wheel. Seriously.

Sit-ups accomplish virtually nothing compared to the sheer pain and six-packian effectiveness of a cheap plastic ab wheel. 100% ridiculous and true.

And yes to a donate button if it helps. I could kick in a few bucks.

I'm not a cardio guy, per se, so my regular exercise involves weightlifting. (That, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but that's once a week.)

If you have access to a weightpile, there's exercises me n' Sard can likely recommend.

If you have access to sandbags, there's exercises we can recommend.

If you have access to lots of dirt and canvas to make sandbags, there's exercises we can recommend.

It's something you've gotta commit to, though. Something, something, leading a horse to water.

Point is to increase cardiovascular "stamina" and "health" a bit not to become Charles Atlas.
Simple walking at a good pace for an extended period will do that, with FAR less sweat and pain.

Salmon, or other foods that contain Omega 3 acids can help to burn away at cholesterol. I also recommend walking as Suhiir said. I wish you well Wisdom.

...mass amounts of Vicodin? =p

I keed, I keed. There's gotta be something you can do that'll work for you, though. Modifying your diet (ie cutting out soda) is a good start.

You know we're all rooting for you here.

'Cept maybe that Canadian guy. I thought I heard him muttering something about the Body Bank.

Reminds my friends.... crippling back pain... tends to make most excercise impossible....

Also for a person with a rooted sedentary life, it's really hard to adopt somewhat demanding physical hobbies.

I would counsel having a healthier but consistent diet, and leaving at least some of the drugs (coffee, cigarettes and the heavier stuff if any).

You are the only one true CP guru around here, so please take care o'yerself man. :)

PARTS!

Also, that "only true CP guru" hurts. Hurts deeply. Eventually I will have my revenge.

See a physio, if you can afford one. They will let you know what works with back pain. First trick is, to get the weight off. Once you've dumped some, all exercises become more feasible.

Swimming is often feasible with back problems.

There are certain weightlifting moves you can do with a bad back - I've herniated myself so bad I could barely or even not at all move and still I could lift.

Walking is often doable, but you need two things: good shoes and relatively soft ground. Also an MP3 player.

Some people have luck with a reclining bike.

Above all, you have to commit to finding the right exercise set and then doing it. Your primary goal isn't sweat and pain at this point, it's a steady calorie deficit.

I had a slipped disk around 10 years ago, and still need to take a LOT of care regarding my back. My physio recommended swimming. Walking's fine as long as you're careful, but you DO need to be very careful.

If you do have access to a gym, reclining bikes and elliptical trainers are the best. Apart from walking the dog, which doesn't actually provide that much exercise when it's a shih-tzu, I get most of my exercise from elliptical trainer.

Top Bottom