Bad Music Choices

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes any of these examples of cyberpunk, though? Seems to me, based on the contents of this channel, that you're reducing the entire genre down to 80s neon lights and synth - which is an incredibly reductive view to have considering the scope and diversity of the genre. But if you disagree with that assessment, you could provide specific examples of what you're talking about - once again, preferably from actual cyberpunk works so you're not just suggesting what you think the genre should sound like.
You know, I provided that link as a courtesy, not as an opportunity to be grilled by you about the minutiae of music theory/classification.

Music is very good, because it's part of woridbuilding, gangs listen to different music, bars\clubs have different vibes. You don't have to like it, just like in RL. "music choices", they are not music choices, they are done as part of this world, it's not some music just to listen while driving.
During one of quests you can hear one of Chopin's nocturnes, just read how it was received by critics...and what they thought about it....
There's many quests done around music in this world: some gigs, with Johnny's gear, whole Kerry's questline, Us Cracks....you can even play as Johnny few times...

I never expect computer game music to really connect with my own tastes. Radio pebkac is the closest I'll find but there are still one or two very 'EDM' tracks on there which make me wince. Also there's a little more Chicago-style techno (and on the other hand, minimal) then I wanted. Not enough haunting proggy techno. But then, I'm a dance music snob I suppose.

Anyway, fitting a Cyberpunk theme, perhaps this kind of thing should have been included in the techno playlist. It's downtempo and boy does it sound dystopian 😎

That said, Resist & Disorder is pretty catchy. Totally not what I'd usually listen to but still, I don't mind hearing it over and over.

Personally I really enjoyed the Samurai music and seemed quite appropriate for the world. I'm not experienced in critiquing music but I did listen to some people discussing this topic recently.

This article was cited in the discussion https://www.thegamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-why-cd-projekt-red-avoided-synthwave-soundtrack/
The article/interview that the first article is referencing: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-cyberpunk-2077-found-the-sound-of-the-future/1100-6484607/

1618907774679.png

Well unfortunately it didn't work with me. Rap and screams is exactly the thing I don't want to hear in my headphones for 60% of the time a music plays in the game. :(

All I can say is, I listen primarily to Vexelstrom and intrgate some Pacific Dreams or Night FM. And on specific instances I like to listen to some Principales.
I have no complaints or regrets.
I think the music is awesome.. most of it anyway.
Post automatically merged:

Personally I really enjoyed the Samurai music and seemed quite appropriate for the world. I'm not experienced in critiquing music but I did listen to some people discussing this topic recently.

This article was cited in the discussion https://www.thegamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-why-cd-projekt-red-avoided-synthwave-soundtrack/
The article/interview that the first article is referencing: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-cyberpunk-2077-found-the-sound-of-the-future/1100-6484607/

View attachment 11211895
Reading that snippet, I must agree that I do have that idea with most tracks. And I'm down with it.

Guest 4400165

I think a good place to start would be not throwing up a big middle finger to your built-in audience.
Providing variety in music choices is flipping off the audience? The opposite, unarguably, would be, but not this.
Also, I think their built-in audience are The Witcher games players, Cyberpunk TTRPG fans and then cyberpunk genre fans.

You're on PC, so this should be easy: try turning off in-game music, launch a music player with some of your favourite Synthwave tracks and start any combat in-game or just traverse the city - it wouldn't work. I'm sure that's the first thing they thought doing.

I also think if we'd have to be stuck with strictly genre origins, then, for example, movies should be still silent and in black & white, too?

Providing variety in music choices is flipping off the audience? The opposite, unarguably, would be, but not this.
Also, I think their built-in audience are The Witcher games players, Cyberpunk TTRPG fans and then cyberpunk genre fans.
I also think if we'd have to be stuck with strictly genre origins, then, for example, movies should be still silent and in black & white, too?
Yes, i'm not really a big fan of "classics" for the instruments at least (if we can said that). But damn, the Ladies of the woods soundtrack in the Witcher is awesome. It's for that, for me, the soundtrack is one of the strong points of CDPR's games.
(but like we said in French : "the tastes and the colors, that cannot be discussed")

Guest 4400165

Yes, i'm not really a big fan of "classics" for the instruments at least (if we can said that). But damn, the Ladies of the woods soundtrack in the Witcher is awesome. It's for that, for me, the soundtrack is one of the strong points of CDPR's games.
(but like we said in French : "the tastes and the colors, that cannot be discussed")
Same here, their music is amazing.
It's definitely one of their strong points that make the games stand out.

I like the music. The score has a industrial synth sort of sound and the in-game-world music is varied ... which it seems to me is the best way to portray a city of millions of people. Limiting music to one genre doesn't seem realistic in a city where there would be a multitude of tastes. There's also an awesome jazz station which I especially loved.

Cyberpunk 2077

1. Bullets by Archive
2. No Save Point by Run the Jewels
3. Rebel Path by P.T. Adamcyzk
4. V by Marcin Przybylowicz
5. Hole in the Sun by Raney Shockne
6. Bells of Laguna Bend by Paul Leonard-Morgan
7. Deleicate Weapon by Grimes
8. Night City by R E L
9. I Really Want to Stay at Your House by Rosa Walton
10. Hanako & Yorinobu by Paul Leonard-Morgan
11. Major Crimes by HEALTH
12. bad guy by Billie Eilish
13. Friday Night Firefight by Aligns
14. Patri(di)ots by Marcin Przybylowicz
15. Chippin' In by Damien Ukeje
16. Dead Pilot by Sebastian Robertson
17. Resist and Disorder by Rezodrone
18. Never Fade Away (Cover) by P.T. Adamcyzk
19. Core Mikoshi by Paul Leonard-Morgan
20. You Don't Know What Love Is by Chet Baker
21. Outsider No More by P.T. Adamcyzk

Two of the songs are from promotional materials, one is from the 2018 demo, and the rest are from the game itself.

Last edited:
Bad music choices :smart:

Anyway the tracks that play during exploration combat and dialogue all are great when it comes to Radio stations I really like Morro rock radio, Night fm, Pacific Dreams and Radio Vexelstorm dont really care about Rap or death metal but its great that those stations are in the game for people that enjoy this sort of music the more variety the better in my book.

Providing variety in music choices is flipping off the audience?

What variety? It all sounds the same to me.

I think providing variety would be amazing.
And I think they didn't do it.

And I think that mentality is part of the problem. I think that gamer-bubble echo chamber is part of why communicating about this game is extra difficult: having to break past a lot of peoples' assumptions, here.

I never played The Witcher...but I grew up with cyberpunk.
I'm sure a lot of people never played The Witcher but love cyberpunk.
And I'm sure a lot of them wanted to play this game regardless of anything CDPR had ever done before, maybe didn't even know CDPR had done anything before.

I think if you rather brazenly name your game after an entire genre, your primary audience isn't going to be the people who liked your game about a monster-fighting guy with white hair.

You're on PC, so this should be easy: try turning off in-game music, launch a music player with some of your favourite Synthwave tracks and start any combat in-game or just traverse the city - it wouldn't work. I'm sure that's the first thing they thought doing.

Oh. You think I'm talking about the score.

I'm talking about the soundtrack. I'm talking about radios. I'm talking about the music listened to by characters in the game, not the incidental music.

Oh, sheesh. Don't be that guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

I didn't want to stir the drama but I agree with above. If overwhelming portion of the in-game music (I mean songs that play in your car radio and in radios everywhere else in-game) is screams and rap then where is the variety? It's almost like the music true to the genre, that is recognisable as that genre's part, is thrown into the game as a token. A tick-box just to say "hey, we do indeed have that type of music in the game!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom