Badly Designed Cards (Opinion)

+
The title says it all, here we go:
  1. Immune Units/Abilities - I personally really dislike this because removing these cards is extremely conditional. These cards usually have a "snowball" ability that's difficult to counter. Uninteractive cards are just not my thing.
  2. Ale of the Ancestors - This card is somewhat weak for having such a high provision cost. I haven't seen anyone play it. This card should be like the old Odrin, in my opinion.
  3. Ithlinne/Triss Butt - I like their abilities but I think they're just too similar. They do almost the exact same thing for the same cost.
  4. Letho of Gulet - He's practically useless and not worth putting in any deck. His beta ability was crazy and creative.
  5. Angouleme/Aguara: TF/Triss: Telekinesis/Uma's Curse - I don't know if it's just me but Create cards are just so unappealing now, especially these four. I get they're meant for Arena, but cards shouldn't be designed with that in mind.
  6. Saesenthessis - What is the point of this card's ability? Are you hoping your enemy misclicks on it whenever they use it or what? Just make it have synergy with dwarves and elves like it used to or just immune.
  7. Saskia - Way too many conditions for this card to be worth anything. It doesn't even have Zeal.
  8. Unicorn/Chironex - In a game with tons of boosting/damaging abilities, these two cards should not be left as they currently are.
  9. Coral - I just don't understand why it has to be a special card for her to trigger her ability. There isn't even good synergy with it.
  10. Lambert: Swordmaster - What a prick.
  11. Yarpen - This card just emphasizes the use of artifacts and spells so yuck. It just isn't worth it either.
  12. Mandrake - What a laughable ability. It's just too weak. How does it have the same cost as Bekker's? It's just Spores but it costs 3 more provisions LOL.
  13. Gascon - I guess it's lore friendly but boost self by 0? Come on. Nobody is going to use that card the way it is except for memes.
  14. Ceallach - This card is interesting but this ability would fit much better on a neutral card. I don't see how it benefits Nilfgaard.
  15. Fringilla Vigo - Too random and sometimes useless. Her old ability would be better.
  16. Thaler/Kaedweni Cavalry - Too conditional, nobody uses these cards.
  17. Waylay - Basically a one-way scorch if your opponent only has one unit on the board. Too random as well.
  18. Viper Witcher - Banishing units from your opponent's deck is just dirty. I love Nilfgaard but this is just bad.
  19. Dimun Pirate - Too random, I don't think it's worth it. It doesn't even count as a discard I believe.
  20. Kaedweni Knight - Their ability just doesn't fit well currently with Gwent since it's hard for NR to pull specific units from their deck such as this one.
  21. Venendal Elite - This card does nothing if you don't use it in the same turn as your leader. Their ability should be able to be used only after using your leader, that would make much more sense.
  22. Clear Skies - This card is useless and impractical. In beta, it had two abilities. I don't think it should play a unit from your deck like it used to but at least a two point boost would be better.
  23. Crow's Eye - My problem with this card is that it is Neutral when only Monsters will get any use if it.
  24. Slave Hunter - This card will never get you the same value as other 5 provision cost cards.
  25. Combat Engineer/Farseer - I feel like these two cards should swap abilities. I mean, that would make more sense.
  26. Alchemist - I get that this card is supposed to be used with Master of Disguise but the whole set up takes too much time and usually isn't worth the inclusion of this unit.
  27. Magne Division - I just personally don't like their ability. Too similar to Nauzica Sergeant with worse conditions.
  28. An Craite Marauder - This can hit all your own units. This would be helpful if Bloodthirst counted your own units but it doesn't so... just make him target units lol.
There are a lot of Bronze ST cards that are too strong when compared to other faction Bronzes of the same provision cost. They can destroy almost every 3-4 point engine no matter on what row they are on. I don't want them to be nerfed because I'd rather see some buffs and/or reworks first. This wouldn't fit with the list either so. Thanks for your time.

I didn't read the whole thing, but...

Alchemist is to counter Rot Tosser...
Slave Hunter can make 7-...17 points... for example if you let Thrive units to get 8-10 pts so lowest unit on a row is 8-10...
Henselt drawing Kaedveni Knight does 12 pts...
Saskia - I use her in my Dryad deck, but ofc I wish I had Unlimited Powaaaaaaaaaa
Seasenthesis used to be useful eg. when opponent plays Sihil, and you have a spell or boosting units so that little food for Sihil and he still needs to put more points than you...
An Craite Marauder is 4 provision cost. If you don't want him to hit your units, play him when opp has 1 unit on the board and you 0.
Waylay - your description is just the point of Waylay, it exactly is useful when opponent has 1 card on the board, and still there is a condition you need an elf... Have you even played this card?
Ale of the ancestors - it's been nerfed. Before it had 8 provision cost or so, so everyone's been playing it. Also cooldown was 2 rounds...
Create - this ability is quite fun if you're not desperately willing to win and progress in the ladder... The point is, that you might draw a card that has higher provision cost than the Create card, like "create a bronze Scoia card" and you get Smugler 7prov pts for 6 pts. Create a special card - and you get Scorch 14pts...

Generally asensible list without thinking about it too much. But my dude An Craite Marauder is like my favorite 4 provision unit. You said you don't like immune characters. Well a number of them have 4 power and sometimes people play them as their first unit and so... Also it does benefit hitting your own units. There is that guy who gets stronger when adjacent creatures are damaged and then that blacksmith woman who gains healing charges too so his damage can be mitigated and taken into account ahead of time.

So yeah An Craite Marauder is actually an example of a really well designed card because it has good and bad side. It is random, but the randomness is not binary. You can lay him down in some cases knowing he's getting a sure kill or you can lay him down and not really care WHAT he hits depending on how you laid your board down.

You use her order in order to boost her.

Some Skellige units benefit from being hit, like Queensguard or Blueboy.

That still doesn't really make sense lol. Why boost her when ST has so many units that benefit from getting boosted?

I know about those units, even then, it's not useful because it might not even hit the units you want him to hit.
Post automatically merged:

Alchemist is to counter Rot Tosser
Slave Hunter can make 7-...17 points... for example if you let Thrive units to get 8-10 pts so lowest unit on a row is 8-10...
Henselt drawing Kaedveni Knight does 12 pts
An Craite Marauder is 4 provision cost. If you don't want him to hit your units, play him when opp has 1 unit on the board and you 0.
Waylay - your description is just the point of Waylay, it exactly is useful when opponent has 1 card on the board, and still there is a condition you need an elf... Have you even played this card?

I'm thinking of scenarios where Alchemist is somewhat useful and well... he isn't.

I actually didn't think of that interaction, I guesssss he is somewhat useful. Especially against that popular consume deck.

I used to use Kaedweni Knight in my Henselt deck but it just wasn't giving me the points I needed so... one leader interaction doesn't make it good.

So what if you go first? Just hope he doesn't kill your own units?

Nah, I haven't used it but I know exactly how it works. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted this. I just find it dumb. It can literally destroy ANYTHING.

Well guys, we seem to disagree on An Craite Marauder. I think it's a terrible card but to each their own.

Last edited:
I would like to adress all of the cards you mentioned:

1. Immune Units/Abilities - They are far more interactive than artifacts, you can play around it (when u start a game u know opponent will be playing this and you can even prepare), bleed r1 and r2 to get their win con from them and easily win r3 with a card down, or simply tech a yrden or be prepared to deal 4 dmg to a row in one turn if you face mourntart)
  2. Ale of the Ancestors - This card is weak right now, but one cannot change every single card that is weak and expect everything to be playable, it's very simple that with balance changes of other cards (nerfs, buffs) and expansions every card has a chance to be a staple sometime in the future
  3. Ithlinne/Triss Butt - They do a similar thing but not the same and it's nice to have at least 2 large buffing cards for the archetype.
  4. Letho of Gulet - He has an interesting ability that is unique and might be viable if there are cards that add muligans or as Slama mentioned on stream, additional muligans for cards over 10 in hand.
  5. Angouleme/Aguara: TF/Triss: Telekinesis/Uma's Curse - Aguara for ex. might have a synegry in a beast deck sometime in the future, uma is a spell so it opens some possibilities too, maby in a creatureless deck if some synergy appears one day.
  6. Saesenthessis - Here my friend I see you just criticize just for the sake of criticizing. This card is amazingly well designed. A big body for high provisions, perfect counter for decks with many removals, awsome for some shenanigan buffing decks or weather st, with possibility to interact with the card during your turn (yes she gets immune back after turn ends)
  7. Saskia - You are right, zeal would be reasonable for her
  8. Unicorn/Chironex - They are fine as a 2 of combo actually having a resemblance to the original yen that spawned either dmging or buffing horse, they will probably nerf it to 3/6 instead of 4/8 and it will be gucci.
  9. Coral - Like no. 2 It opens a gate for the future archetype.
  10. Lambert: Swordmaster - Already mentioned that he will be reworked
  11. Yarpen - This card emphasizes spell decks that have always been fun to play in gwent, or some weird buffing combos and honestly artifacts will be gone after sihil changes.
  12. Mandrake - Yup it's a bit week, maby a small dmg/heal/boost addition would be nice, but remember that a faction card peter is not much stronger with a close provision cost
  13. Gascon - no. 2,
  14. Ceallach - It's a card too strong for a neutral, probably landed in nilfgard becouse it cannot be abused by this faction.
  15. Fringilla Vigo - Was unplayable in the late state of open beta, a good tech card if special card based decks become a thing one day
  16. Thaler/Kaedweni Cavalry - As above, conditional cards have to have their spot in the game, they counter a specific archetype and it's fine.
  17. Waylay - Yup nothing to say here except it's a bad design
  18. Viper Witcher - It's not dirty enough vs most of the decks, can really harm only combo decks and/or would be a nice tech if discard skellige becomes too popular.
  19. Dimun Pirate - It's a thinning card, if you desire to flood your graveyard it's just a fine card
  20. Kaedweni Knight - again, seems to be a promising card for a future expansion, the design is not bad at all
  21. Venendal Elite - Why is that so? I think it's an amazing design rewarding you for playing for ex. 1 of this card, but it should have slightly better stats, with such condition on the effect it should exceed the provision cost in terms of value.
  22. Clear Skies - All the cards became weaker due to the general lowering of the card values, and if u ask me, a 4 provision card that can get rid of dragons dream or rag nar roog or even some terrible weather is a good tech choice.
  23. Crow's Eye - For now, who knows what happens when we will get a vampire expansion :D
  24. Slave Hunter - Wait what? You need to grab a 2 pointer from your card to generate value, maby think of it as a card that has low potential but sometimes can get insane value
  25. Combat Engineer/Farseer - You mean that an elvish oracle is more lore friendly with some items than spells while a nilfgardian construction master is more of a spell guy than some items that are mancrafted ? If you talk only about abilities without looking at card names and pictures, I don't think placing a card synergizing with all those mystery elvish manouvers would be better in an organized nilfgard.
  26. Alchemist - Yes, this card might be weak or slow but it doesn't mean it has bad design, imagine having a unit like a dwarf that selfboosts only if boosed, well You can simply use an alchemist, good card for future expansions.
  27. Magne Division - This card is an engine forcing you to play one row, not every similar to another engine just because they are both engines that selfboost.
  28. An Craite Marauder - Duuude, it's a playable card in the ladder in most of the sk decks right now, a solid removal for the 1st play if you go second in the round.
All in all I think you don't understand what core and standard sets should look like in a card game. Take a look at mtg or hs, when many of their basic cards shine with new expansions or rotations. An example of bad design was a noninteractive eithnee artifact decks as a whole.
As far as st bronzes are concerned, dwarfs are perfectly fine, elves have been balanced in december but still are a bit strong, however there is no bronze that removes a 4 point engine.

Sorry for any mistakes that I might have made.
Praise be to the great sun!

Mandrake - What a laughable ability. It's just too weak. How does it have the same cost as Bekker's? It's just Spores but it costs 3 more provisions LOL.
If I remember correctly, resetting also means, getting all starting charges back and removing any status effects. Which makes it a really good cart in some special situations.

An Craite Marauder - This can hit all your own units. This would be helpful if Bloodthirst counted your own units but it doesn't so... just make him target units lol.
One of the strongest units currently in the game for its provision costs. If the enemy goes first you deal 4 damage with a 2 body and remove most engines.

Waylay - Basically a one-way scorch if your opponent only has one unit on the board. Too random as well.
Completly agree on that. If the enemy goes first and plays an elf, there is nothing you can do against Waylay. And in contrast to traps, you don't even see it coming. Just compare it with Pitfall Trap, which does something pretty similar, but costs more provision costs and the enemy can adapt to it.

Maybe Dandelion:Vainglory.Never seen him,never use him.For 10 provision there are to less high point beasts out there that make him worth to include in some decks.I mean there are enough other cards that can destroy a unit and are not limited to beasts.

Last edited:
I would like to adress all of the cards you mentioned:

1. Immune Units/Abilities - They are far more interactive than artifacts, you can play around it (when u start a game u know opponent will be playing this and you can even prepare), bleed r1 and r2 to get their win con from them and easily win r3 with a card down, or simply tech a yrden or be prepared to deal 4 dmg to a row in one turn if you face mourntart)
  2. Ale of the Ancestors - This card is weak right now, but one cannot change every single card that is weak and expect everything to be playable, it's very simple that with balance changes of other cards (nerfs, buffs) and expansions every card has a chance to be a staple sometime in the future
  3. Ithlinne/Triss Butt - They do a similar thing but not the same and it's nice to have at least 2 large buffing cards for the archetype.
  4. Letho of Gulet - He has an interesting ability that is unique and might be viable if there are cards that add muligans or as Slama mentioned on stream, additional muligans for cards over 10 in hand.
  5. Angouleme/Aguara: TF/Triss: Telekinesis/Uma's Curse - Aguara for ex. might have a synegry in a beast deck sometime in the future, uma is a spell so it opens some possibilities too, maby in a creatureless deck if some synergy appears one day.
  6. Saesenthessis - Here my friend I see you just criticize just for the sake of criticizing. This card is amazingly well designed. A big body for high provisions, perfect counter for decks with many removals, awsome for some shenanigan buffing decks or weather st, with possibility to interact with the card during your turn (yes she gets immune back after turn ends)
  7. Saskia - You are right, zeal would be reasonable for her
  8. Unicorn/Chironex - They are fine as a 2 of combo actually having a resemblance to the original yen that spawned either dmging or buffing horse, they will probably nerf it to 3/6 instead of 4/8 and it will be gucci.
  9. Coral - Like no. 2 It opens a gate for the future archetype.
  10. Lambert: Swordmaster - Already mentioned that he will be reworked
  11. Yarpen - This card emphasizes spell decks that have always been fun to play in gwent, or some weird buffing combos and honestly artifacts will be gone after sihil changes.
  12. Mandrake - Yup it's a bit week, maby a small dmg/heal/boost addition would be nice, but remember that a faction card peter is not much stronger with a close provision cost
  13. Gascon - no. 2,
  14. Ceallach - It's a card too strong for a neutral, probably landed in nilfgard becouse it cannot be abused by this faction.
  15. Fringilla Vigo - Was unplayable in the late state of open beta, a good tech card if special card based decks become a thing one day
  16. Thaler/Kaedweni Cavalry - As above, conditional cards have to have their spot in the game, they counter a specific archetype and it's fine.
  17. Waylay - Yup nothing to say here except it's a bad design
  18. Viper Witcher - It's not dirty enough vs most of the decks, can really harm only combo decks and/or would be a nice tech if discard skellige becomes too popular.
  19. Dimun Pirate - It's a thinning card, if you desire to flood your graveyard it's just a fine card
  20. Kaedweni Knight - again, seems to be a promising card for a future expansion, the design is not bad at all
  21. Venendal Elite - Why is that so? I think it's an amazing design rewarding you for playing for ex. 1 of this card, but it should have slightly better stats, with such condition on the effect it should exceed the provision cost in terms of value.
  22. Clear Skies - All the cards became weaker due to the general lowering of the card values, and if u ask me, a 4 provision card that can get rid of dragons dream or rag nar roog or even some terrible weather is a good tech choice.
  23. Crow's Eye - For now, who knows what happens when we will get a vampire expansion :D
  24. Slave Hunter - Wait what? You need to grab a 2 pointer from your card to generate value, maby think of it as a card that has low potential but sometimes can get insane value
  25. Combat Engineer/Farseer - You mean that an elvish oracle is more lore friendly with some items than spells while a nilfgardian construction master is more of a spell guy than some items that are mancrafted ? If you talk only about abilities without looking at card names and pictures, I don't think placing a card synergizing with all those mystery elvish manouvers would be better in an organized nilfgard.
  26. Alchemist - Yes, this card might be weak or slow but it doesn't mean it has bad design, imagine having a unit like a dwarf that selfboosts only if boosed, well You can simply use an alchemist, good card for future expansions.
  27. Magne Division - This card is an engine forcing you to play one row, not every similar to another engine just because they are both engines that selfboost.
  28. An Craite Marauder - Duuude, it's a playable card in the ladder in most of the sk decks right now, a solid removal for the 1st play if you go second in the round.
All in all I think you don't understand what core and standard sets should look like in a card game. Take a look at mtg or hs, when many of their basic cards shine with new expansions or rotations. An example of bad design was a noninteractive eithnee artifact decks as a whole.
As far as st bronzes are concerned, dwarfs are perfectly fine, elves have been balanced in december but still are a bit strong, however there is no bronze that removes a 4 point engine.

Sorry for any mistakes that I might have made.
Praise be to the great sun!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my whole list. You've made some excellent points. I guess this list only really matters with the current state of the game and isn't concerned with future expansions. CDPR doesn't really have the best track record when it comes to proper balance so..

As for Engineer/Farseer, ST just has better synergy with artifacts than any other faction. That's basically why I'd like to see their abilities changed.

Help me make a list of these cards. I feel sad whenever I see them and I keep hoping the devs will do something about it. In a perfect world every card in this game would be viable. These cards feel like a huge waste of resources. I don't have the deck builder in front of me right now so just listing some cards from memory. I'll update this post with suggestions or when I have more time to look all of the cards over.

Musicians of Blaviken- Badly designed. Seems this card was made extremely weak because of it's RNG based design. Needs a complete redesign IMO. Cards like this one and Gascon shouldn't be in the game at all. Cards should be made with strategy in mind, not a dice roll and hope you win through luck.

Lambert Swordmaster- Probably the most notoriously head scratching card in the game. I have no idea why they haven't changed this card to make it useful. This game has just a few resilience cards in it so how is this card worth putting in a deck? If not a redesign I would suggest adding a consistent ability to the card. So maybe it destroys a resilient unit on one row and it does something else more consistently useful on the other row. Raw damage or destroy an artifact.

Dandelion Vainglory- Same issue as Lambert. He needs to be more useful.

Sihil- Overnerfed due to artifacts being so hard to balance in this game. I blame artifacts design. They need to be majorly updated or reworked.

Thaw (and other weather clear cards)- Simply not worth putting into a deck since weather just isn't that prevalent. Not sure what the solution is.

Last edited:
You're forgetting about Thaler and some useless bronze cards like Ballista, Blue Mountain Elite, Kaedweni Cavalry, Rivian Pikeman, Cintrian Knight, Crow's Eye and Dimun Pirate. All these cards are bad because one way or another. Ceallach Dyffrin, Rainfarn of Attre, Iri's Companions and Avallac'h Sage are bad too because they have a bad design (Avallac'h Sage for instance is ultra expensive and he has only 1 base power, he was fine before with only 2 base power)

But I'm fine with musicians of Blaviken and Gascon.

Last edited:
You're forgetting about Thaler and some useless bronze cards like Ballista, Blue Mountain Elite, Kaedweni Cavalry, Rivian Pikeman, Cintrian Knight, Crow's Eye and Dimun Pirate. All these cards are bad because one way or another. Ceallach Dyffrin, Rainfarn of Attre, Iri's Companions and Avallac'h Sage are bad too because they have a bad design (Avallac'h Sage for instance is ultra expensive and he has only 1 base power, he was fine before with only 2 base power)

But I'm fine with musicians of Blaviken and Gascon.

What is fine about musicians? Bronze cards give more power and are more consistent. It's horrible.

Some to add.

Clear Skies = It's thaw but with only 1 use and no others. If you're not vs a weather player it's a dead card. Scout is also better for clearing just 1 row as you get the 4 value too playing it.

Dimeritium Bomb = It's great for clearing artifacts. It's useless otherwise and can screw you over if it's in your deck and you mulligan into it vs a non artifact player. As a suggested change have it destroy all artifacts and purify the whole enemy side or something as at least then it has the use as a purify.

Aguara true form = Oh so he can play any special card but it could by any of the. For 11 provision He needs either more value than 2 or a provision cost cut as he's not a reliable card even if he could win by RGN.

Enraged Ifrit = he's 4 value and 4 damage for 10. 4 used to be the magic number but you can now get a 4 for 4 card that also banishes killed enemies so Enraged Ifrit has been usurped by a better card.

Dimun Corsair = The est ships are ones you generally want to play out early in a round and if you're opening the round he's pointless as he'll do no damage. I dunno maybe have him gain vitality based on the number of ships still in hand instead of damage.

Vivienne Oriole = Ok I do play her but I'm weird like that. Mostly she needs a provision cost cut by 1 because only a few atifacts have 8 provision cost (buffing her to a 9) and even then many are instant effect so it's not like you're removing value form them you're just playing a card for less value than it's provision cost.

5 Artifacts give her over more value than her cost.

5 Give her the actual value

13 give her under value at present.

Dudu = Most enemy units worth copying in all but big units are engines with specific requirements or have deploy abilities and for 10 provision there are so few cards worth copying unless you can copy for example their charge count and gain Zeal too.

Olgierd = I've seen him played once and badly. The fact his healing is an order thus can easily be locked and he only heals by 1 per turn means he's quite killable

Mourtart = I get the idea. Fill your graveyard then play it last or near last for a massive turn. The problem is to pull it off you need so much else such as cards to purify rows and a Zeal card (because no opponent will let you activate it otherwise they're not stupid.) For needing 4-5 provision costs being used just to set it up and managing maybe a 12 it's very much in needs of changes of some kind. Especially as it can just be hit back to 1 value again by any provision reset card. Ozzrel is generally a far better choice giving better value and needing less set up.

Musicians of Blaviken- Badly designed. Seems this card was made extremely weak because of it's RNG based design. Needs a complete redesign IMO. Cards like this one and Gascon shouldn't be in the game at all. Cards should be made with strategy in mind, not a dice roll and hope you win through luck.

Oddly I've seen that popping up in a few Skellige beast decks recently. Normally as the last card before a pass as it either gets resilience and lets them keep it and not have to play another card next round or just plays out the round. Plus it's another beast in the graveyard which they can use to boost from later. It's not terrible at present as a last play.

Lambert Swordmaster- Probably the most notoriously head scratching card in the game. I have no idea why they haven't changed this card to make it useful. This game has just a few resilience cards in it so how is this card worth putting in a deck? If not a redesign I would suggest adding a consistent ability to the card. So maybe it destroys a resilient unit on one row and it does something else more consistently useful on the other row. Raw damage or destroy an artifact.

Yeh he feels underpowered maybe knock 1 off his provision cost as a starter. Or have him able to cancel a resiliant unit's resilience after he's played (think like Black Blood destroying boosted units. only now he removes resilience not destroys them outright.)

Dandelion Vainglory- Same issue as Lambert. He needs to be more useful.
[/
QUOTE]

Likely just needs a provision drop by 2 then he'd be getting more value vs a lot of deck and not losing as much vs others

Sihil- Overnerfed due to artifacts being so hard to balance in this game. I blame artifacts design. They need to be majorly updated or reworked.
[/QUOTE]

Idea. Drop it's provision costs by 1. It's cooldown to 1 but with a new condition. Each deathblow increases it's damage by 1. If it fails to kill an enemy unit it destroys itself.

Thaw (and other weather clear cards)- Simply not worth putting into a deck since weather just isn't that prevalent. Not sure what the solution is.

Funny thing Thaw should be used it's literally a version of Clearskies but better. However it's not because likely the buff needs to be 6 not 4 and losing 3 per row of weather cleared.

Last edited:
No weather clear can be used right now simply because weather isn't prevalent enough in the game to make it worth the slots.

Just a heads up: my opinion on a lot of the cards mentioned in my original list is now different. I could certainly update the list since it has been a while.

For me Ragh Nar Roog is my least favourite card.
A straight upgrade to fog (with 5 provision extra I suppose).
No counterplay unless you are teching in anti-weather, which Clear Skies/Scout are both weak cards that weaken your deck.

In a game where combos and specific strategies are so important, you don't have room to tech in useless junk like this, leaving you exposed to getting cheesed every so often by this... especially when played by the ST deck that can double RNR you in one turn, making your whole board -4 per turn until the end of the round.

Top Bottom