Balance between Classic vs New Aesthetic

+
BeastModeIron;n10154122 said:
Well that might be true in our current world, but in the Cyberpunk world of the future its probably quite different. Compare old buildings in New York to new buildings in Dubai. The leap in technology from 1994 to 2077 will be far greater in the cyberpunk world than the early 1900 to 2017 in our world.
Why?

Yes there were some MAJOR innovations in the 50's-60's (the steel skeleton sky scraper I mentioned above), But other then giving buildings "unique" (and often ugly as sin) shapes what's changed significantly between 1980 and 2018? I'd bet most people couldn't begin to guess when, post about 1980, a building was constructed just by looking at it.

Just to add on to the whole technological advancement thing, nothing is linear. Tech doesn't advance "so much" over the course of 50, 60, or even 100 years. Breakthroughs happen, sometimes at what appears to be random, and then massive technological pushes can happen as a result.

There's incremental change , and then there's large-scale change. The smart phone is arguably an example of the latter, wheres new models of smart phones (touch ID, face ID, high-powered cameras, smart home integration) are examples of the former.

Who knows where our world -- or the world of CP -- could be in 57 years. In 30 years, an ultra-advanced AI could decide it wants to nuke the planet because it ain't worth saving. Once it gets going, things move quickly - it's very much possible that huge innovations happen in architecture, too.

Don't forget the tactical nuke, folks! Pretty Sure Pondsmith mention something along those lines, So my guess is shiny new stuff at ground zero and gritty grimy stuff where they could get away with not rebuilding

BjornTheBandit;n10159442 said:
Don't forget the tactical nuke, folks! Pretty Sure Pondsmith mention something along those lines, So my guess is shiny new stuff at ground zero and gritty grimy stuff where they could get away with not rebuilding

Completely off topic, but I love your signature - did you make it yourself? Where'd you find the image?

Snowflakez;n10159602 said:
Completely off topic, but I love your signature - did you make it yourself? Where'd you find the image?

Thanks, but it was actually in a thread somewhere here in the forums, someone made a few for everyone's use out of screenshots from ye olde trailer. I can't tell you where it is, because I don't remember. Been a minute or two.

Guest 4149880

BjornTheBandit;n10159442 said:

Well it depends on how many years after 2024 for the fallout radiation to dissipate for people to inhabit the area, and by then they could start to rebuild.

BeastModeIron;n10153882 said:
I'd honestly hope they have a mixture of old and new tech. As shown in the trailer as well as the developers have talked about how Night City will have generations of technology built on top of the last, by the point of 2077.

2077 isn't only going to have tech built that year. Everything will not be brand new and shiny, but also old and gritty. I assume there will be old variations of tech being used even in 2077 as well as newer iterations. Mike Pondsmith him self has said that you'll see this type of design in the game, that shows how technology has evolved over the years from 2020 to 2077 and I think that will show in all areas of the game from the environment to the weapons and gear... everything.

All the different zones of the city and surrounding areas will all have a unique aesthetic and atmosphere, from the slums to the corporate zone to the combat zone.

Also the first buildings to be constructed in Night City are based on older design and would still be standing, and by 2077 would have had more built onto them with new technology.

You can see here that new support beams have been put into place on older buildings to reinforce the structure mass of the new levels built above and also how the design of the buildings at different heights start to change because of the difference in technology used. I've read that was a conscious design choice they wanted to use when making some areas of Night City. They wouldn't just demolish all old buildings just to build a brand new one, not in all cases.

I think the mix of retro tech could still have its presence in the game as well as new generations of tech, and this goes for all aspects of the game. Obviously the game takes place in 2077 but in comparison to todays real world, we still see old tech being used. Vehicles, weapons, clothing, entertainment, as well as city design, all variations of age. I see it working very similarly in the game and to a much greater degree.

Also, using retro tech could have its benefits vs using new tech if its corporate owned, operated and controlled. Could be a underlying theme of the game.

I think this would be ideal considering that it would bring in a much larger player-base since it would merge the 2020 era with the 2070s. I think it would really meet expectations for those wanting retro and others wanting modern. For me personally I would like both to varying degrees. I have said this before but if CDPR could implement thrift shops that would be a cool way to introduce (maybe) a youth subculture that is obsessed with 2020s fashion and technology in a way that reflects our own recycled "what is old is new again" society. The 80s and 90s are more popular than ever today it seems, it would make sense to take advantage of it, at least a little bit. No trends really are ever gone for good, they just come back at one point or another. I hope for something like Star Citizen where it alternates between modern and retro aesthetics to portray light and happy vs dark and gritty atmosphere (although in Cyberpunk 2077s case it would be used to portray a rich/corrupt/orderly vs poor/seedy/chaotic atmosphere)

BeastModeIron;n10160162 said:
Well it depends on how many years after 2024 for the fallout radiation to dissipate for people to inhabit the area, and by then they could start to rebuild.

I was more thinking with all the corruption in Night City "leadership," would they even BOTHER to rebuild things that they wouldn't ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO?

BjornTheBandit;n10167892 said:
I was more thinking with all the corruption in Night City "leadership," would they even BOTHER to rebuild things that they wouldn't ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO?

Well, more buildings = more money, so I'd assume so. I'm sure there's some nobody is going to bother with (just like in our modern world) but for the most part...

BjornTheBandit;n10167892 said:

Even if the corps didn't, I'm sure other people would.

"The street finds it's uses for things" after all.

The easy, and cheap, solution is to just clean up the irritated bits and pieces of buildings, slap a layer of lead over ground zero, and put in a park.
The Corps could use the new green space as PR fodder.

Suhiira;n10169522 said:
The easy, and cheap, solution is to just clean up the irritated bits and pieces of buildings.

Suhiira;n10169522 said:
the irritated bits and pieces of buildings.

Suhiira;n10169522 said:
the irritated bits and pieces of buildings.

Perhaps...a soothing bath? Ooh! Or an unguent! What kind of cream do you put on an irritated building bit?

Sardukhar;n10170072 said:
Perhaps...a soothing bath? Ooh! Or an unguent! What kind of cream do you put on an irritated building bit?
My personal suggestion would an uninhabitable piece of desert or the Pacific Trench.

Top Bottom