Balance changes and short explanations.

+
1. Radeyah - stratagem destroys itself at the end of your turn. No more OP combos (outside of pincer maneuver which deserves a big nerf but there is another topic about that), she is strong enough.
2. Aen seidhe sabre - spawn and summon scoiatael neophyte at the end of your rows. ST is the only faction that is using their stratagem in all of their decks. 4 points with 2 extra units and them being elfs is enough. Triggering harmony and being able to pick where you want to place them is too much.
3. Poison - needs a points ceiling and more interactivity. Right now it makes cheap bronzes have "infinite" value, and tall decks unplayable.
- two applications can kill an up to 8 points unit
- three applications can kill an up to 15 points unit
- four applications can kill an up to 24 points unit
4. Falibor - 12p. I don't remember if he got introduced when NR had less damage and 3 points units were less common so he was harder to trigger? Right now he is OP.
5. Vernossiel - 4 points. Unconditional 11 for 12 with 3 units and them being elfs is OP.
6. Maraal - 10p. Very strong ability and half of it is on deploy. I would like to see him in decks that can protect him instead of any poison decks.
7. Yennefer's invocation - 10p. It's a better version of heatwave, no need for it to also be cheaper. Especially after the intoduction of war council.
8. Bribery - should be picking from ALL THE CARDS - meaning if your opponent is running 2 copies of a bronze unit you should be twice as likely to get it as a result, and also be able to get two copies of the same card as your choices, greatly reducing the chances of getting golds as your choices.
9. Sweers - 9p. He got buffed when there were less 3 points units. He is still great at 9p.
10. Matta Huuri - 10p, 5 points. Let's say on average she draws you an 11 points card, and 5 points card for your opponent. Doesn't that make her an 6+11-5=12 points card? And if you are playing engines making a round longer also gets you some value.
11. Endrega larva - 6p. This is possibly the best bronze card in the game. Easily giving you huge value even in short rounds.
12. Yghern - 11p. It's just a little bit too strong. Doesn't matter if you are playing thrive or dominance or neither.
13. Madame Luiza - 11p. She can get you 9 points on savolla, 8 points on tinboy, 6 points on moreelse. OP.

I'm leaving leader abilities and buffs for another topic.

Last edited:

Payus

Forum regular
I'd say I agree with most. Nice work, well thought out.

Falibor could kill a 2 then a 1 and ot would be ok.
Fun fact I tried falibor with Syanna and he does not repeat his deploy... although he should.

Last edited:
I like some of your ideas (especialy the poison change), but i'm afraid at this point simple balance changes are not enough.
MoO was basicaly Midwinter 2.0, so the only way for Gwent to move forward is Homecoming 2.0.

I think Maraal would be very strong even at 10p whlie Radeyah is completely broken and needs some point/provision adjustments.
Another card i take issue with is Avalac'h, after the dumbest rework in the history of the game this card is still auto-include in almost every deck yet nobody brings it up.

I like the idea and it makes a lot of sense that you need more poison to kill a dragon or Speartip than an average soldier.

1. Radeyah - stratagem destroys itself at the end of your turn. No more OP combos (outside of pincer maneuver which deserves a big nerf but there is another topic about that), she is strong enough.
I'd would increase the destruction counter to 2 turns, such that the option to create a Stratagem won't be useless.
3. Poison - needs a points ceiling and more interactivity. Right now it makes cheap bronzes have "infinite" value, and tall decks unplayable.
Disagree with this. Poison needs a points floor not ceiling. It should be a counter to tall decks. The problem is it currently counters mid range decks as well, because poison is too cheap.
6. Maraal - 10p. Very strong ability and half of it is on deploy. I would like to see him in decks that can protect him instead of any poison decks.
I think his deploy should only affect enemies without any poison yet.
8. Bribery - should be picking from ALL THE CARDS - meaning if your opponent is running 2 copies of a bronze unit you should be twice as likely to get it as a result, and also be able to get two copies of the same card as your choices, greatly reducing the chances of getting golds as your choices.
Would render the card unplayable in my opinion. And having twice the same choice feels pretty bad. Also, I'd rather like a rework of the card.

Again - Moorlehem and the SY Philippa.

In general, all those new cards that are destroying a unit must be toned down. Example: all the Geralts are at 2 or 3 STR, Leo is 3. Why is Moorlehem at 6 STR on the same provisions cost (and yes, he can destroy Defenders in one hit)? Vattier is 3 but he has Orders - Philippa is on Deploy and SY does have plenty of ways to set her up WAY better than Vattier can dream of.

Poison is another topic. To me it suddenly got way too much support, especially in the CHEAP Bronze part (4p Neutral units, really?). I would say that if left like that, it is a broken mechanic. Way too oppressive in too many cases.

Sweers and Invocation are fine; and Invocation is a Faction specific card - it should be cheaper than Neutral cards. Problem here is not the card itself, but the vast amount of removal that NG got access too. I'll still point that it is nowhere near to what NR is capable of, but NR is a topic on a whole new discussion.

The problem with Bribery is what it has been since cards like it were introduced in CB. The FN RNG. It had interesting mechanic before (pulling the bottom card from OPs deck), there was even an other mechanic which I vaguely remember. I guess it was changed like that cause it didn't had enough support on another, totally different game, and now it also has Assimilate to work with.

... but I don't see the devs changing anything else than point or provision here or there. They've proven they are rarely/barely doing something more than this over the years.

The problem with Bribery is what it has been since cards like it were introduced in CB. The FN RNG. It had interesting mechanic before (pulling the bottom card from OPs deck), there was even an other mechanic which I vaguely remember. I guess it was changed like that cause it didn't had enough support on another, totally different game, and now it also has Assimilate to work with.
It used to be called Treason. Originally it let you steal a card from the bottom of your opponent's deck. Then it got changed to force two adjacent units to fight. It might have briefly had another ability when it debuted. But the steal a card from the bottom of the deck was part of an interesting combo with Xarthisius, who used to let you look at your opponent's deck, pick a card and place it on the bottom of their deck. Hard one to pull off, but well worth it to see the immediate forfiets from players using deck manipulation with top deck tutoring as part of their strategy to get their best card when they realised what was going on.

@Evangium yes, I had a meme deck with this combo. It's main problem was that it could not target Gold cards, but than, if it did, it would've be completely broken. Yet another reminder why Bronze, Silver, Gold was better/smarter than the system we have now.

Treason is a different card that still exists.
Yes Treason is now a different card that exist in the game. It uses the artwork from the card formerly known as Assasination. However, in beta, Bribery, or at least the artwork from the card we now know as Bribery was used for the card Treason. There was no card called Bribery in beta. That came with Homecomming, as did the new bronze card, Assassination. Hopefully this clears things up a little ;)

Leave poison as is but:
Change king cobra to poison random unit.
Increase provisions to Maraal (11), fangs of empire (6).
Make all scenarios only trigger after the next turn (prevent pincer manuver and Calveit trigger several cards in one turn).

Decrease provisions to Pincer manuver to 11-12.
Make Philippa that so she cant hit one card twice.

Buff useless leaders (which is almost all).

But what's most important I think is increase provisions to 6 to all special cards that has 5 damage. Because with several new cheap cards again everything I play gets destroyed by those cheap special cards.
All factions has those cards except Syndicate.
Damage by 5, damage by 5, etc. So every cool unit dies instantly.

Vanhemar - Destroy a locked unit (bloody hell!).
Don't forget his more expensive but better cousin, Vincent Van Moorlehem who combos with the scenario and destroys a unit with status.

But out of the list, Damien and Yennefer's Inovocation would have to be by far the cards way too far outside the power curve, since the other factions have no effective answer, nor similar abilities. Those two cards, CDPR simply can't 'bring up the power level of other cards' (they've stated this to be their prefence to changing existing cards). If they do, then the game will become very unbalanced very quickly. And I suspect it probably will cause many more cards to become unplayble, since it just won't be possible to power up all the cards without completing reworking some of them.

2. Aen seidhe sabre - spawn and summon scoiatael neophyte at the end of your rows. ST is the only faction that is using their stratagem in all of their decks. 4 points with 2 extra units and them being elfs is enough. Triggering harmony and being able to pick where you want to place them is too much.
4. Falibor - 12p. I don't remember if he got introduced when NR had less damage and 3 points units were less common so he was harder to trigger? Right now he is OP.
5. Vernossiel - 4 points. Unconditional 11 for 12 with 3 units and them being elfs is OP.
7. Yennefer's invocation - 10p. It's a better version of heatwave, no need for it to also be cheaper. Especially after the intoduction of war council.
9. Sweers - 9p. He got buffed when there were less 3 points units. He is still great at 9p.
10. Matta Huuri - 10p, 5 points. Let's say on average she draws you an 11 points card, and 5 points card for your opponent. Doesn't that make her an 6+11-5=12 points card? And if you are playing engines making a round longer also gets you some value.
11. Endrega larva - 6p. This is possibly the best bronze card in the game. Easily giving you huge value even in short rounds.
12. Yghern - 11p. It's just a little bit too strong. Doesn't matter if you are playing thrive or dominance or neither.
13. Madame Luiza - 11p. She can get you 9 points on savolla, 8 points on tinboy, 6 points on moreelse. OP.

Most of the solutions seem fair. Radeyah could also be limited to create a neutral stratagem, not the deck one.
Maraal should be mirrored on Gaunter (pun intended).
Poison is problematic, but this solution would bury it. Boosts can outrun poison markers, and you can purify a unit with 3/4 markers and the opponent is left with a round of nothing. This could work if poison also affects points on board though, like 1 poison = 1 point, 2 for 4, 3 for 9, 4 for 16. If strength downed to 0, destroy, if purified, restore.
Matta could and should even be higher...

Most of this is pretty good. Don't really agree on Yghern though. Monsters are doing horrible right now. No reason to mess with one of their best cards.

I'm pissed off with Nilfgaard having so many great abilities, while most other factions get crap.

You have:

Yennefer's Invocation - Steal a unit (basically) - place a unit on the top of your deck.

Sweers - Seize a unit (3 points, I think).

Vattier - Seize a locked unit (any value).
Fair enough

Leader Ability: Enslave (steal a unit - size of unit depends on how many tactic cards in deck).

NO OTHER FACTION APPEARS TO HAVE INDEPENDENT SEIZE CARDS.
Monster does and syndicate do.

Damien De La Tour: Refresh Leader ability - there goes another stolen unit.

Vanhemar - Destroy a locked unit (bloody hell!).

Stefan Skellen - Spawn and play last tactic played!
Not really problems. 2 are orders, Vanhemar is fine.

Meno Coehoorn - Play a tactic card from your deck.
Each faction has a 2 point 8 provision tutor that pulls something typical of this faction.

Letho: King Slayer - Copy a unit

Artorious Vigo - create 1 power copy of a bronze unit (another LOCK or POISON unit; NG has about 4 independent LOCK and POISON units - this is just for BRONZE).

On top of that there is poison.

Also, NG has access to all NEUTRAL cards:

Vigo's Muzzle: Seize a unite with 5 or less.

Dudu: Transform into a copy of another unit.

All the LOCK cards (at least 5).

All the POISON cards (6 - 7 neutral poison cards).

The list goes on.

Sort out Nilfgaard.

Letho and Vigo are not really problems. Letho is really expensive and Vigo is good but not over the top.
Dudu has nothing to do in this list.
Locks don't offer board value per say. Try to follow on the point slam other decks can pull with a lock deck, it's not that easy. You can occasionally pull great point switch, or be really advantaged against an engine heavy deck but can also be left with nothing interesting to lock.
Poison is too strong right now, but also in SY and ST.

I really really like some of these suggestions 😊. Why isn't CDPR figuring out these as well? Maybe bring in addition tester for the cards before rolling them out? The Gwent community seem to be on point with their suggestions, not all, but most seem okay, yeah that makes sense. Which is better than doing nothing.

Top Bottom