Balance changes and short explanations.

+
I will say it once again (will not stop repeat this) - the game is at its best when there are points on the board. When there are several archetypes that destroy everything their opponent plays (and those usually are the ones that everybody are playing with, I wonder why), this is when the game becomes obnoxious.
This I totally agree with. Other games that use life total, like Magic and HS for instance, you don't need your units power to count toward your score. So even when something as annoying as a boardwipe happens, there is at least a chance you can recover from that. I often find myself thinking CDPR tries too much to adapt ideas from other CCGs without really understanding why those ideas work in those games and why they aren't good for Gwent.

I often find myself thinking CDPR tries too much to adapt ideas from other CCGs without really understanding why those ideas work in those games and why they aren't good for Gwent.
Likewise.

CDPR give me the impression that they still don't really have an overriding strategic vision for what type of game they ultimately want Gwent to be. As a result they are just trying lots of smaller individual ideas, many influenced by the other major CCGs, throwing them all into the game, and seeing what they get. There is no wonder it feels disjointed and unbalanced at times with things often seeming to go round in circles.

It is a real shame because Gwent felt like a new take on how a CCG played in its earlier incarnations. It had its own identity. Now it doesn't seem sure what it wants to be anymore. I hope they figure it out.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Hmm, don't think so. Running poison is already risky, there is lot's of decks with about ~4 hp, you need two turns usually to do it, tall decks usually got/should have more than one tall unit, you can purify... I play right know mostly blood scent and Passiflora wild card. Blood scent have few tall units, same passiflora wild cards - and poison hurt, but I don't see it like threat that makes it unplayable. Just had few games as blood scent against enemy with a lot poison. And lock. And kill locked. Still sometimes won, when in theory is should be my doom, my full counter. And I myself struggle with getting high value of my own poison i got in passiflora wild card.
If you guys are sure it's to strong, maybe give it some more provision? I'm not sure and definietly see need to punish sometimes tall decks (even when i play blood scent).
4. Not sure.
5. I never used him. It i a lot in elves archetypes, bot other than this... Naah, I don't think it's to strong, especially when you already nerf sabre.
6. Maybe? Look comment 3.
7. Arguable better but totally agree with 10p.
8. Nice one, I'm not playing Nilfgaard, wouldn't it hurt them too much?
9. Not sure, he is conditional, can give much more, can much less.
10. Lets say for now 9p 5 hp or 10p 6hp and see?
11. Hmmm, I guess, but I see problems.
12. Maybe. But you know you need to just destroy armor to kill him?
13. No. Definietly no. She NEED this second card. Without it, she is useless. And you are giving here already 2 provision points...
3. All of the decks are running some 5-8 str units. Even if you kill a 4 with your 4p 4str poison units you get the standard 6 points from them. The only time when you are losing value on poison is when you have odd number of it. If we place a ceiling at 8 str units (which we don't have to, it's a flexible number, make it 10 if you wish so, just don't make it uncapped), you are still able to get 8 points of value from your 4p cards which is more than from most other cards. I really feel like the only downside to this solution is purify removing multiple applications of poison.
8. If it does, make it cheaper, it's still a tactic, it's still triggering assimilate, it's still much better imperial diplomacy.
11. Card is ridiculous and every monsters player knows that.
13. Yes you do need the second card, but there is enough of them, and we have more and cheaper thinning than ever, and a lot of mulligans. Syndikates problem is the fact that their fee cards suck, and they need them in every round, often multiple of them. Having OP golds to cover this problem isn't a solution.

I will say it once again (will not stop repeat this) - the game is at its best when there are points on the board. When there are several archetypes that destroy everything their opponent plays (and those usually are the ones that everybody are playing with, I wonder why), this is when the game becomes obnoxious.

There's really only one archetype right now that destroys "everything the opponent plays," and that's NR, for the reason that on top of their ridiculous bombardment, they get WMD cards like Phillipa, Anselt and Falibor. NG is annoying with their "Destroy status/destroy lock" cards, but at least you can attempt to counter that, which - the interaction - is what the card game should be about.

Sorry, but plopping 3 "synergy" cards on the board and then sitting back for 7 turns watching the numbers grow and basking in my own tactical brilliance is not my idea of fun. There has to be removal. There has to be interaction. And yes, there has to be a "battle" and "combat." The engines should be vulnerable and you have to protect them by either low-tempo plays or teching, or playing around the opponents.

Now, that said, the game DOES become obnoxious when everyone is cookie cutting same 3 OP decks, because there's no way right now to counter the cheese. I can tech against NG poison and machines, but there are just not enough units to counter a scenario twice, and since everyone is running Radeyah and that dumbass Caretaker, the situation is that "destroying" an artifact is not enough, and you're completely screwed if you don't banish (with a single expensive card), and if you do, more often than not those decks can still beat you, just less severely. Same goes for Waters cheese. You can't tech against 4 engine 3rd round opening when EVERY card in the deck is also an engine.

So if anyone ever wonders why you don't get a gg from me, you're probably running one of these decks :D

Fix the scenario/caretaker/radeyah cheese. Fix ME/waters cheese. Remove leader ability renewal. THEN look at the meta and balance issues.

I think Scenarios should be limited to one tick per turn.

Give them a 1 turn cooldown timer to each stage so no longer possible to abuse multi card plays through leader/radeyah to get the whole thing done immediately.

Honestly I want Caretaker to get completely reworked.
In the Beta it was lore-friendly and not too situational.
In fact it is so situational that there has to be an interaction as toxic as reusing Scenarios for it to be playable.

Caretaker should be playable and not purely exist for toxic interactions and requiring to revive a 12 point artifact, just to be worth its 14 provisions is far too much.

Nonsense.

The Gwent of the Witcher 3 was based entirely around winning a battle. Yes, the highest score wins, but the point is you're in combat.

However, as one of my other threads points out, Gwent has become a game about SWARM to get the highest score where actually engaging the other player in combat has actually become irrelevant.

I'd say Syndicate barely requires combat units - plenty of Feresworn Zealots to spawn, as well as boost cards and units.

Skellige has a few attack units, but can get away with boost units and spawning cards - specially crow related decks.

Monsters are nearly always shag decks, er, spawn decks.

ST spawn elves left, right and centre, with a few combat units - and lots of traps.

NG is about the only one that doesn't have a lot in the way of spawning from what I've seen. Although it has other issues.

Norther Realms can spawn a few units.

Personally, I just find playing a game where the opponent doesn't engage with the opponent in any way whatsoever pointless. I've player some matches where the opponent has focused entirely on their own side. Honestly, why bother?

Ultimately, if CDPR want players to play lots of the same card - especially Bronze - don't restrict cards to 2 and then implement a pathetic mechanic that allows players to spawn or copy the same card type so as to bypass the 2 card limit now imposed for Bronze.

At any rate, if players think it's fun, and a multiplayer experience, seeing who can play the most cards to spawn the highest score, and that's supposed to be fun, I think they're seriously deluded.

I, for one, don't play the game so as not to bother engaging the opposition. The whole point is factions fighting one another, trying to reduce the opponent score through combat.

Where's the strategy or skill in laying down cards that spawn more units and the cards that boost those low units? It's crap.

This game is already limited enough design space. Your basic strategies are to either boost, damage, or swarm. Every deck does at least one of those three. If you eliminate swarm you are stripping away another interesting tactic to win for the sake of theme and I don't see how that would be worth it. This game has never represented a battle very well. Swarming has been a staple from the beginning.

[...]
What I don't want to be seeing is things like Northern Realms using spawn excessively (Blue Striped Commandos, etc., that are then transformed into spectres - how the hell does that work?), or CROWS (ST), FIRE-SWORN ZEALOTS (SY), ELVES and DWARVES (SK) etc., being overly used as currently.
[...]
Crows are in SK and Dwarves in ST, but that aside, Dwarves are rarely ever used (I never saw one since Merchants of Ofir), if you usually see them you are propably at rank 22+.
Firesworn is terrible as an archtype and none seriously considers them viable, the same goes for Blue Stripes Commandos (given that one has to play an awful leader instead of the second most broken leader in the game).

I strongly agree that factions should have more unique mechanics. With the latest expansions all the factions got similar stuff: defenders, scenarios, swarm units, boost some tribe by 1 when ever you play a certain card, ... Every faction has a category of special cards, that can be tutored by a 2-strenght-unit, boost all <Tribe abc> by one, some bleed units, ...

When did we get the last SK card that had any synergies with the graveyard or when being discarded? An ST unit that did something when moved? ...

I strongly agree that factions should have more unique mechanics. With the latest expansions all the factions got similar stuff: defenders, scenarios, swarm units, boost some tribe by 1 when ever you play a certain card, ... Every faction has a category of special cards, that can be tutored by a 2-strenght-unit, boost all <Tribe abc> by one, some bleed units, ...

When did we get the last SK card that had any synergies with the graveyard or when being discarded? An ST unit that did something when moved? ...

I mostly agree but we recently got Crow mother and Crow messengers which have synergies with the graveyard. And a few other good ones, but honestly as I said I agree, we need more diverse and faction oriented/unique cards.

You point out that each deck does 'at least one of these' - that's an important point. Personally, I think it'd be better if it was restricted to the Monster faction as a *major* strategy for that faction. What I don't want to be seeing is things like Northern Realms using spawn excessively (Blue Striped Commandos, etc., that are then transformed into spectres - how the hell does that work?), or CROWS (ST), FIRE-SWORN ZEALOTS (SY), ELVES and DWARVES (SK) etc., being overly used as currently.

Having a couple of units that can spawn here and there I can accept. However, I think that only the Monster faction should be spawning lots and lots of creatures.

The Monster faction is diminished when its primary tactic is utilised by other factions. There is little need for the other factions to be overly utilising spawn as they should be either combat focused (these are examples), ambush focused, or crime focused. If every faction ends up the same - having the same abilities and nothing unique, how is that in any way fun? It just makes Gwent feel all the more like a game of different 'skins' - factions, leaders and units have nothing to differentiate them, besides the appearance of the artwork...

I can agree with you in the sense that I want to see more faction identity in the game. If monsters were the only faction that swarmed that would probably be fine with me. I just want each faction to feel different and I mostly don't feel that right now.
Post automatically merged:

Agree

Speaking of balance changes, I really don't know why devs didn't think of the insane combos between "Scenario Cards" and some leader abilities. The most ridiculous of them is not doubt Pincer Maneuver, which was already powerful before. Now it can instantly complete the quest. Resulting in a major upper hand, that cannot be dealt with. Tactical Decision could sometimes work in the same way but there's no guarantee in the success.

The core of Gwent was strategic thinking. Now it has sadly fallen low. Just turn the auto pilot on and throw away your cards XD

Edit: I really hope that CDPR would save it.

Top Bottom