Balance Patch Speculations

+
CDPR has said we're going to receive a balance patch alongside the expansion, which I believe could introduce some important changes. Here's my speculations

- Waters of Brokilon getting a 1p nerf. Waters are going to get additional utility with Symbiosis, so I wouldn't be surprised by another slight nerf

- Bribery reworked. a lot of people have complained of the RNG and cheapness of this card. Now that Nilfgaard will get more support, Bribery might be changed with a fixed pool of targets from the opponent. Or just left alone

- Yennefer Invocation, Caranthir, Falibor, Yghern and other powerful cards getting a provision nerf. Some were already nerfed, but with new powerful cards they could get another power check

- archetypes reworks. The expansion is flashing out a lot of existing archetypes. Reworks to Firesworn cards to synergise with all tokens have been already announced, so It wouldn't be too surprising to see old cards receive some attention

- Veiled Caretaker. Their new design approach is seemingly making neutrals the best tech cards. Exp. is adding new Veil tech cards and there have been suggestions to make Caretaker immune from statuses. Therefore Veiled Caretaker might be the last gift to satisfy players who despise poison.

- Changes in the Artifact-Heaver mechanic. Apparently they are seriously considering putting a provision range to Assire's ability. If double ball decks disappear, Bomb heaver could get a nerf.

Do you have any speculations?

Regis gets an “Initiative” tag ahead of the “If any units were destroyed, repeat this ability”. Falibor, too.

Guest 4375874

CDPR has said we're going to receive a balance patch alongside the expansion, which I believe could introduce some important changes. Here's my speculations

- Waters of Brokilon getting a 1p nerf. Waters are going to get additional utility with Symbiosis, so I wouldn't be surprised by another slight nerf

- Bribery reworked. a lot of people have complained of the RNG and cheapness of this card. Now that Nilfgaard will get more support, Bribery might be changed with a fixed pool of targets from the opponent. Or just left alone

- Yennefer Invocation, Caranthir, Falibor, Yghern and other powerful cards getting a provision nerf. Some were already nerfed, but with new powerful cards they could get another power check

- archetypes reworks. The expansion is flashing out a lot of existing archetypes. Reworks to Firesworn cards to synergise with all tokens have been already announced, so It wouldn't be too surprising to see old cards receive some attention

- Veiled Caretaker. Their new design approach is seemingly making neutrals the best tech cards. Exp. is adding new Veil tech cards and there have been suggestions to make Caretaker immune from statuses. Therefore Veiled Caretaker might be the last gift to satisfy players who despise poison.

- Changes in the Artifact-Heaver mechanic. Apparently they are seriously considering putting a provision range to Assire's ability. If double ball decks disappear, Bomb heaver could get a nerf.

Do you have any speculations?
I'm doubtful about more than half this list. Not that they shouldn't but that they will. Let's hope you're right

Yghern, Falibor and definitely Waters Of Brokilon. Could see 1 armour coming off the Endrega Larvae (or some levelling between then and the 4P Nekker is warranted) but then I'd hate to see Monsters get all the hate as they're the weakest faction already.

You could argue that Vissegerd is too cheap.

Caranthir - maybe - but it's such a cool card I'd hate to see it ruined with a nerf bat.

On the flip side, the Witcher trio are rubbish and could use some boost, as could all of the Ciris. Aglais is also crap for 10 unless you design a meme deck solely around her. IFrit vs Betsy? Both 10 yet Betsy is clearly better. In fact many of the base set neutrals could do with a slight boost.

I think you could keep double water but put the dryads down to 2 so the harmony procs need to come down to keep them alive.
I think Yghern is fine, as is Endrega larva.

I agree that Caranthir is a good card. Put kiki queen to one or give it doomed to solve the real problem.

I dont play MO before anyone asks :beer:

Scenarios? Why not one-shot deals? There is a movement towards 'doomed' i.e. a one-shot deal for many units.

What would be better for MO would be if their monsters actually thrived in the frost and they could cast it on themselves.

From what I know, expect a lot of increase in provision costs so you potentially end up with decks with a top and bottom tier and people working to make the most of the top tier and dispensing with the fillers.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think you could keep double water but put the dryads down to 2 so the harmony procs need to come down to keep them alive.
I think Yghern is fine, as is Endrega larva.

I agree that Caranthir is a good card. Put kiki queen to one or give it doomed to solve the real problem.

I dont play MO before anyone asks :beer:

I really hate WoB and im constantly demanding nerfs for it in this forum but not even i would suggest something as harsh as that. Making them 2pts would make them completely unplayable.

I've been thinking lately why is ME WoBrokilon so strong, and i figured it out - because there is not a single card in the game, with no prior setup, that lets you deal 2x4 damage to adjacent cards (there is scorch, but that is even more expensive than WoB and requires no bigger units)

If dryad fledgings were 2pts, even if you immediately procc ed them to 3, they could easily be destroyed because there are so many ways to deal 3dmg to multiple units - sandstorm, arachas venom, manticore venom, etc.

Yennefer's Invocation, absolutely. Game-breakingly OP. Effectively banish ANY of your opponent's units, AND create a copy for yourself, all for just 9 provision cost? Ridiculous. They need to restrict it to bronze units or units with a certain power, or at least seriously increase the provision cost.

I used to forfeit on principle whenever an opponent played it, but I can't afford to do that now I'm in the top 7 ranks! So I just send a sarcastic thanks message instead...

I think that neutral cards will be more powerful, but strongest faction cards like Brokilon Water will get Devotion.
Scenarios should have Devotion and cooldown.
Caranthir, Ge'els and Avallach should get new abilities for synergy with Wild Hunt archetype.
Rain and Fog should get 6 or even 5 provision cost.

I think that neutral cards will be more powerful, but strongest faction cards like Brokilon Water will get Devotion.
Scenarios should have Devotion and cooldown.
Caranthir, Ge'els and Avallach should get new abilities for synergy with Wild Hunt archetype.
Rain and Fog should get 6 or even 5 provision cost.
Devotion is a no brainer for Scoia'tael though. Also I don't really think neutral weather should get a buff. It's ok as is, while it's fair Monsters get a cheaper card for their archetype.

I also want to say that my guesses in the original post aren't judgments on whether or not cards should be changed, rather what I suppose could be changed.

Devotion is a no brainer for Scoia'tael though. Also I don't really think neutral weather should get a buff. It's ok as is, while it's fair Monsters get a cheaper card for their archetype.
Yeah, but notice that weather is max 8 points for 7 provisions, and has really low tempo. It's weak compared to other cards. I think 6 or even 5 provisions for 8 points which can be blocked by shield or armor, isn't OP at all.

Yennefer's Invocation, absolutely. Game-breakingly OP. Effectively banish ANY of your opponent's units, AND create a copy for yourself, all for just 9 provision cost? Ridiculous. They need to restrict it to bronze units or units with a certain power, or at least seriously increase the provision cost.

I used to forfeit on principle whenever an opponent played it, but I can't afford to do that now I'm in the top 7 ranks! So I just send a sarcastic thanks message instead...
Other factions have equally strong cards in case you haven't noticed.

Yeah, but notice that weather is max 8 points for 7 provisions, and has really low tempo. It's weak compared to other cards. I think 6 or even 5 provisions for 8 points which can be blocked by shield or armor, isn't OP at all.

Looking at some of the revealed cards, my impression of weather isn't to bank on the weather effect in itself, but it's mere presence on the field. Seeing WH units that boost if weather is on the board, or the brute that deals damage if moving a unit to a row with weather. Then there is the dominance control that frost has, at least in theory.

I really hate WoB and im constantly demanding nerfs for it in this forum but not even i would suggest something as harsh as that. Making them 2pts would make them completely unplayable.

I've been thinking lately why is ME WoBrokilon so strong, and i figured it out - because there is not a single card in the game, with no prior setup, that lets you deal 2x4 damage to adjacent cards (there is scorch, but that is even more expensive than WoB and requires no bigger units)

If dryad fledgings were 2pts, even if you immediately procc ed them to 3, they could easily be destroyed because there are so many ways to deal 3dmg to multiple units - sandstorm, arachas venom, manticore venom, etc.
Yeah 2 might be a bit harsh, you could put them to 3 a piece, giving you exactly 1 turn to get to them before they go off. I'm not an NG player so I can never catch the Dryads once they start.
Or doom waters of Brokilon, make people think about their Mystic Echo target.

Maybe due to Symbiosis mixed with Harmony?
Could be anything removing some of the Harmonie Tags from Cards or finally a Nerf to ME Double Waters which I would honestly prefer because if you play harmony with other Leaders it doesn't really feel that overpowered and easy to pilot.

Could be anything removing some of the Harmonie Tags from Cards or finally a Nerf to ME Double Waters which I would honestly prefer because if you play harmony with other Leaders it doesn't really feel that overpowered and easy to pilot.
We have to assume they'll do the same thing that they did with Hidden Cache (i.e. tiny changes). Like with Syndicate, the other Scoia'tael leader abilities don't have very good win rates, just Elven Deadeye and Mystic Echo. Therefore, I highly doubt they'll nerf many of the individual cards. There will probably just be a fix to Mystic Echo/Waters of Brokilon and a nerf to a couple of Elf cards. If they decided to tone down too many of Scoia'tael's overpowered cards, then they would have to do the same with the other five factions to avoid making Scoia'tael unplayable, and that seems rather unrealistic at this point; although I would obviously support the decision if the developers prove me wrong by trying to rebalance the game.

Agree, I think other leaders that play WoB one single time are fine - but ME with its ability to double waters and lay down 4x4 point engines in one go, similar to previous nonsense when used on Novigradian Justice for those 3 point dwarf mercenary shooting spam...

It's the same kind of problem as being able to replay any powerful card during a match, let alone in the same round/turn - eg looking at Assire double ball, or similar. Maybe WoB should just be given Doomed so it can't be replayed. And maybe mystic echo should be changed while still supporting a Spell archetype - eg instead of replaying special cards, it could gain a charge to boost or damage whenever a special card is played (looking at Johnny or Sarah for ideas), with limitations.

But anyway, I'm quite happy if harmony gets nerfed to a less prevalent state - so I can enjoy playing ST with other leaders such as CoH in peace.

Top Bottom